Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Julius Seizure posted:

Wow! that's a lot of recommendations. thanks a lot, I really do appreciate it. I'll look all those up and start watching the thing that intrigues me the most
If you want a more mundane, not fantastical series, Kids on the Slope is about some high schoolers in 60's japan who want to play jazz. It's great. Not sure if the anime completes the story or if you'd have to read the manga, but I imagine it'd be a lot more immersive with music than not. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

If you want a sports series, Run With The Wind is amazing.

Sports are great. Watch this and Haikyuu and Ping Pong.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Can I stream gaogaigar somewhere preferably not on a subscription service? I will gladly watch ads if it means it's legal and free

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Chihyafuru is still the greatest sports anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Len posted:

Can I stream gaogaigar somewhere preferably not on a subscription service? I will gladly watch ads if it means it's legal and free

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJUqsfcyXyYt9vuCMEQ-eS8JwRha5JQa3

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there one with subs or dubs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They only dubbed the first 13 or so episodes and none of the OVAs, due to poor sales of the DVDs.

And it isn't streaming anywhere subbed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Well poo poo,

Guess I'll just rewatch TTGL again

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Len posted:

Is there one with subs or dubs?

This is subbed!!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Maybe watch the drat video first!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait holy poo poo that is subbed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GorfZaplen posted:

This is subbed!!!

I swear to God when I clicked it yesterday episode 1 didn't play subs. I'll assume I'm incompetent/youtube hiccuped because they're there now

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Len posted:

I swear to God when I clicked it yesterday episode 1 didn't play subs. I'll assume I'm incompetent/youtube hiccuped because they're there now

The subs are at the exact height that the little video bar covers them up so it's totally understandable :D

All of FINAL is on youtube subbed as well in 1080p when you get to that!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The subs are at the exact height that the little video bar covers them up so it's totally understandable :D

All of FINAL is on youtube subbed as well in 1080p when you get to that!

Does it have the newer, nicer subs though? The old subs had a couple inaccuracies.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I asked in the discussion thread, but it might be more suited here. Can anyone recommend movies or shows that make good use of a 5.1 audio system? I cobbled one together to go with the broken 55" TV I salvaged and repaired and even though it's real basic it sounds insanely good compared to the TV speakers I'm used to, and I want to put it through its paces. I saw Redline for the first time with it and it was awesome as gently caress, and I'm starting to go through the Evangelion rebuilds again which sound really cool with all the background stuff going on in NERV HQ, on top of the battles themselves.

I think Planetes has a decent surround mix and while I liked it I only saw the first episode or two, so that's on the list for when the holidays start. Apparently the anniversary Bluray of Akira has one of the best mixes out there period, but I watched it pretty recently so I can hold off on that one for later.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the anime i recall with surround sound are ghost hound, yamato 2199 and gunslinger girl

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

Does it have the newer, nicer subs though? The old subs had a couple inaccuracies.

They look like the new subs to me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Saw a guy saying to skip the back half of TTGL because unless you've seen Getter Robo you'll hate it. If the back half of TTGL is the best half does that mean I'll dig Getter Robo?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Len posted:

Saw a guy saying to skip the back half of TTGL because unless you've seen Getter Robo you'll hate it. If the back half of TTGL is the best half does that mean I'll dig Getter Robo?
You'll probably enjoy Shin Getter Robo: Armageddon. That said that's an extremely stupid thing to say because plenty of people who've never seen Getter Robo liked the back half of Gurren Lagann. And the first half of Gurren Lagann is a loving Xabungle homage and who the hell in the west has seen Xabungle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Xabungle does not sound like a real word

But I agree, I don't know a lot about the history of robot anime but all of TTGL is a joy to watch. There still hasn't been anything since that captures that feel right? I pop into this thread to ask every time I do a rewatch and usually just get directed towards older stuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gurren Lagann is a homage to a lot of older mecha anime. There's stuff that sort of captures the same energy but big bombastic Super Robots are kind of a dead genre, so that's why you mostly get directed to older stuff.

Shin Jeeg is contemporary with Gurren Lagann and kind of hits the same tone? Shin Mazinger Z, too. They're both reboots, Shin Mazinger Z has a kind of weird flash-forward first episode and Shin Jeeg has some callbacks, but neither really demands having seen the original.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GL was pretty much my gateway into super robot stuff so I'm just kind of floored at that rec. to skip the back half if you havent seen Getter. The back half is like precisely why I got into Getter.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Endorph posted:

Gurren Lagann is a homage to a lot of older mecha anime. There's stuff that sort of captures the same energy but big bombastic Super Robots are kind of a dead genre, so that's why you mostly get directed to older stuff.

Shin Jeeg is contemporary with Gurren Lagann and kind of hits the same tone? Shin Mazinger Z, too. They're both reboots, Shin Mazinger Z has a kind of weird flash-forward first episode and Shin Jeeg has some callbacks, but neither really demands having seen the original.

Why would anyone kill Super Robots as a genre? They can make so many model kits!

But yeah I assumed that's why it's mostly redirects towards older stuff, I just hold out hope that something will have dropped and I'll have a cool new show to watch

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

Instead of Armageddon I'll recommend New Getter Robo. It is IMO the best of the Getter OVAs, doesn't assume you're familiar with any older Getter stuff, and deals with themes similar to TTGL.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Len posted:

Why would anyone kill Super Robots as a genre? They can make so many model kits!
Real robots like Gundam sell better as model kits.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Endorph posted:

Real robots like Gundam sell better as model kits.

Lame

Are the ttgl movies worth watching? I always just assumed they were skippable

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some of the new animation sequences are amazing but they tell the same basic story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The final ttgl fight scene is vastly improved

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they skip the entire kittan intro episode so the gag where kamina goes 'who are you again' is way funnier

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

for more recent super robot options there's Planet With

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Can you even start watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you haven't 100%ed Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, which is about a blue-haired boy with goggles and a genetically modified girl escaping from underground with the help of a red-haired sniper girl in a setting full of animal people?

(yes, yes you can)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

you can, but you shouldn't

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Cephas posted:

Can you even start watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you haven't 100%ed Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, which is about a blue-haired boy with goggles and a genetically modified girl escaping from underground with the help of a red-haired sniper girl in a setting full of animal people?

(yes, yes you can)

I only played all of the others but I'm betting his name is Ryu and is the dragonborn and hers is Nina and she secretly has wings.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
That's a good guess, but his name is actually Simon the Digger and hers is Nia Teppelin and they pilot a mech called Gurren Lagann (Crimson Bighead)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagine if the official tls called it crimson bighead

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is nuts. I didn't like the characters nearly as much as other BoF games but the setting rules and the gameplay premise is wild. Dark Souls ain't got poo poo on how hard DQ fucks you if you screw up. It's really cool, there aren't really any other jrpgs like it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Appoda posted:

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is nuts. I didn't like the characters nearly as much as other BoF games but the setting rules and the gameplay premise is wild. Dark Souls ain't got poo poo on how hard DQ fucks you if you screw up. It's really cool, there aren't really any other jrpgs like it.

Dark Souls: The Anime: The Game

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey yall, Im in the mood for a Magical Girl anime. Something with good character development but still light and fluffy.

THat kind of mood where I wanna watch girls fight monsters with love and friendship.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
go princess precure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Colonel posted:

go princess precure

Anywhere legal to watch it? Google is giving me nothing.