Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

doingitwrong posted:

They tried to drop Air. That got us the 12" MB. And then they brought it back because Air is the most successful laptop brand they've ever had. Even if they did the simplification you want, it's probably be an Air and a Pro.

The 12 inch died because of the keyboard though. I think people actually liked the form factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The M1 is absolutely nuts. The performance feels like the biggest leap since the introduction of SSDs.

drat. I just need Docker and Golang ported and we're in business. Until then I might just use Parsec over to my desktop because the battery is unreal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the talent deficit posted:

sure, i should have qualified it with *commercial* probably

oh yeah, with that they'd probably agree!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

What's the deal with Office, is it in Rosetta right now? We just played with an Air in a shop and Word was the only app that bounced for a while (although it seemed to be the first time it had been opened on that machine).

Also, I've got the pay-once Office, is MS going to native-ify that or just the subscription one?

Otherwise the Air looks great, even if my wife wants the gold one...

E: This is totally the hardware thread, oops. Love that hardware!

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 24, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The biggest thing I notice about using a Windows (Lenovo) laptop vs a MacBook is the...how do you say...inertial while scrolling?

The Mac does some black magic where it feels like I'm sliding the page up/down like a natural object. But Windows sends the loving page into warp speed, or too slow to be useful.

On the other hand, middle-button scrolling feels great.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I know it’s not ergonomically ideal but that’s why I’m wedded to the Magic Mouse. The ability to flick scroll feels really good, better even than a wheel.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mapping gestures with BTT makes it awesome.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bob Morales posted:

The biggest thing I notice about using a Windows (Lenovo) laptop vs a MacBook is the...how do you say...inertial while scrolling?

The Mac does some black magic where it feels like I'm sliding the page up/down like a natural object. But Windows sends the loving page into warp speed, or too slow to be useful.

On the other hand, middle-button scrolling feels great.

It depends on whether you have a Microsoft precision touchpad or not. If you do then you probably have an excellent experience on par with the Apple touchpad. I believe HP, Dell, and of course Microsoft all use it for their touchpads now. Some other makers use crappy ones.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

doingitwrong posted:

I know it’s not ergonomically ideal but that’s why I’m wedded to the Magic Mouse. The ability to flick scroll feels really good, better even than a wheel.

honestly on mac i don't even bother with a mouse unless i need it for a game or something. i live for the trackpad, internal or external, dont matter none

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

doingitwrong posted:

now imagine how much better it’d be with a Magic Trackpad and a Logitech mouse with an inertial wheel

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Binary Badger posted:

Presumably anything that works with an Apple OEM SSD should work for the Aura Pro X2.

The Aura Pro X2 is just a standard NVME drive that's been manufactured specifically to Apple's wacky internal SSD spec, where some pins are switched around, literally for the reason of keeping you from buying off-the-shelf storage to use in your machine, so you are stuck with Apple's exorbitant prices. After 2015, they did away with all the pretense and just made storage soldered onto the logic board in their notebooks across the line.

This might do it, it's from a company that makes lots of adapters to use standard NVMe drives in Macs.

http://eshop.sintech.cn/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_132&products_id=1208

Costs a lot because its not something that there's high demand for..

Bob Morales posted:

That will work. OWC sells one for triple the price

Thanks, guys!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Nitrousoxide posted:

It depends on whether you have a Microsoft precision touchpad or not. If you do then you probably have an excellent experience on par with the Apple touchpad. I believe HP, Dell, and of course Microsoft all use it for their touchpads now. Some other makers use crappy ones.

I touch about every dell under the sun and while the E7400 has a much nicer trackpad it's still not quite on par with apple's. But it is much, much, much improved. until apple just turned the market around on premium small laptops the xps 13/15 are great, especially the latter for a MBP type machine with dGPU that isn't FOR GAMING

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I have a 2015 15" MBPro with a battery capacity of 71%. I would like to get the battery replaced, but I got quoted 5-7 business days from a nearby AASP (SimplyMac), and can't even get the nearest Apple Store on the phone. I need my laptop for work during the week, so that's a non-starter. Are there any other options available? I've read that it's not meant to be user-replaceable, and I'd rather not mess with the resale value by screwing something up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shroud posted:

I have a 2015 15" MBPro with a battery capacity of 71%. I would like to get the battery replaced, but I got quoted 5-7 business days from a nearby AASP (SimplyMac), and can't even get the nearest Apple Store on the phone. I need my laptop for work during the week, so that's a non-starter. Are there any other options available? I've read that it's not meant to be user-replaceable, and I'd rather not mess with the resale value by screwing something up.

trade it in to Apple as-is and put the value toward an M1 Mac. Once you pay to replace the battery at this point you start to eat into the resale/time value anyway. If the machine runs and powers on and whatnot you should be ok.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Shroud posted:

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

You can see what apple will pay for it here.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Presumably anything that works with an Apple OEM SSD should work for the Aura Pro X2.

The Aura Pro X2 is just a standard NVME drive that's been manufactured specifically to Apple's wacky internal SSD spec, where some pins are switched around, literally for the reason of keeping you from buying off-the-shelf storage to use in your machine, so you are stuck with Apple's exorbitant prices. After 2015, they did away with all the pretense and just made storage soldered onto the logic board in their notebooks across the line.

This might do it, it's from a company that makes lots of adapters to use standard NVMe drives in Macs.

http://eshop.sintech.cn/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_132&products_id=1208

Costs a lot because its not something that there's high demand for..

Bob Morales posted:

That will work. OWC sells one for triple the price

Just on the back of this, is the speed there for this to be worth doing on a late-2013 rMBP 15" ?
I'm getting good speeds already (around 600mb/s read/write) but I see those drives can go a lot quicker. Is there any point?
The mac has NVMExpress I think, if that makes a difference

E: I looked at this adapter here http://eshop.sintech.cn/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_132&products_id=1143
but it's saying the Mac can't be set to Sleep mode then? Sounds sketchy

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 24, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I would upgrade for capacity, speed not so much

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just on the back of this, is the speed there for this to be worth doing on a late-2013 rMBP 15" ?
I'm getting good speeds already (around 600mb/s read/write) but I see those drives can go a lot quicker. Is there any point?
The mac has NVMExpress I think, if that makes a difference

It's compatible with NVMe drives with a special adapter from China.. without that adapter only Apple's SSD's will work.

A good off-the-shelf NVMe drive like the pre-neutered AData 8200 Pro, or the Inland Premium 1 TB will give you like 1100-1300 MB (megaBYTES) per second, about twice what you're getting now. Whether that's worth the price of a $20 adapter and a new SSD is up to you.

The rMBP should already be upgraded to at least High Sierra for the SSD+adapter to work, though.

Once you get it up and running, you can add Lilu and NVMeFix as system extensions, having both of these will lower the amount of power your third party SSD gobbles up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I would upgrade for capacity, speed not so much

Yeah to be honest, I'm not really having an issue with the speed, I'm more just interested in seeing how much I can squeeze out of this machine.

Binary Badger posted:

It's compatible with NVMe drives with a special adapter from China.. without that adapter only Apple's SSD's will work.

A good off-the-shelf NVMe drive like the pre-neutered AData 8200 Pro, or the Inland Premium 1 TB will give you like 1100-1300 MB (megaBYTES) per second, about twice what you're getting now. Whether that's worth the price of a $20 adapter and a new SSD is up to you.

The rMBP should already be upgraded to at least High Sierra for the SSD+adapter to work, though.

Once you get it up and running, you can add Lilu and NVMeFix as system extensions, having both of these will lower the amount of power your third party SSD gobbles up.

Thanks, I looked at the Sintech shop and they seem to have a newer adapter that looks a bit better. The Mac is on Big Sur at the moment. Thanks for the rec on those system extensions, I never would have even thought about power consumption.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There's sporadic reports that the Big Sur update patches the BootROM on rMBPs with fixes for hibernation with 3rd party SSDs, so you should be good to go.

As far as NVMEfix/Lilu goes, first: Lilu is needed to load NVMeFix. From the NVMeFix github:

acidanthera posted:

NVMeFix is a set of patches for the Apple NVMe storage driver, IONVMeFamily. Its goal is to improve compatibility with non-Apple SSDs. It may be used both on Apple and non-Apple computers.

The following features are implemented:

Autonomous Power State Transition to reduce idle power consumption of the controller.

Host-driver active power state management.

Workaround for timeout panics on certain controllers (VMware, Samsung PM981).

I can unequivocally state that NVMeFix is worth the price of the first feature alone. I've been using iStat Menus to measure the power draw from my SSD; my Inland Premium before NVMeFix was using 0.31A for reads and 0.5A for writes, and was using 0.21A during idle.

With NVMeFix, my reads are .30A, my writes .41-.5A, and my idle is 0.12A, and my battery semi-tangibly runs longer.. as always, YMMV

Edit: LiLu and NVMeFix currently won't run in Big Sur; needs at least Mojave/Catalina.. :eng99:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 24, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

There's sporadic reports that the Big Sur update patches the BootROM on rMBPs with fixes for hibernation with 3rd party SSDs, so you should be good to go.

As far as NVMEfix/Lilu goes, first: Lilu is needed to load NVMeFix. From the NVMeFix github:

I can unequivocally state that NVMeFix is worth the price of the first feature alone. I've been using iStat Menus to measure the power draw from my SSD; my Inland Premium before NVMeFix was using 0.31A for reads and 0.5A for writes, and was using 0.21A during idle.

With NVMeFix, my reads are .30A, my writes .41-.5A, and my idle is 0.12A, and my battery semi-tangibly runs longer.. as always, YMMV

Thanks so much, really appreciate all the info.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

One last thing: try to avoid the 'long' Sintech adapter because it causes problems if you try to use a double-sided SSD; the short adapter is fine for single or double sided.

The only caveat with the short adapter is that sometimes I've had to wrap that adapter in a few extra layers of Kapton to cut down on EM leakage degrading the data signal, resulting in slower throughput.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

One last thing: try to avoid the 'long' Sintech adapter because it causes problems if you try to use a double-sided SSD; the short adapter is fine for single or double sided.

The only caveat with the short adapter is that sometimes I've had to wrap that adapter in a few extra layers of Kapton to cut down on EM leakage degrading the data signal, resulting in slower throughput.

So if I got that smaller adapter and a good M.2 SSD, replaced the OEM and recovered an install with Time Machine or a USB install onto the new drive, I should be OK with Big Sur and have no Sleep/Hibernate Issues, even without those plugins you mentioned earlier?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I accidentally formatted a HFS+ partition to APFS on a spinning drive that I didn't get all the data off of. I didn't write to the new partition at all and unmounted it right away. I'm running disk drill right now and it's finding files but no file names. Am I SOL on file names?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Walked posted:

The M1 is absolutely nuts. The performance feels like the biggest leap since the introduction of SSDs.

drat. I just need Docker and Golang ported and we're in business. Until then I might just use Parsec over to my desktop because the battery is unreal.

Docker you might be waiting awhile for; the golang folks are on it though. As has been alluded to on here, Brew is working on it, expect a beta hopefully soonish.

Binary Badger posted:

e: yeah its important to remember Apple saw the seachange coming with NVMe so they were a little ahead of the curve and kinda missed the apex w/r/t the specification.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 25, 2020

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

trade it in to Apple as-is and put the value toward an M1 Mac. Once you pay to replace the battery at this point you start to eat into the resale/time value anyway. If the machine runs and powers on and whatnot you should be ok.

Nitrousoxide posted:

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in
You can see what apple will pay for it here.

Thanks for the advice - that's what I'll do.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

just found out that all my native writing/work apps but one (and I'm sure it's coming soon) are now native on the M1. Ugh. If I didn't know about the rumors of a 14 inch MacBook...

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Will Best Buy price match apple education store prices?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

been messing around with a 16" intel MBP and the fans go just as nuts, just as quickly, as on my 2012 MBP.
Only difference is I wouldn't be able to tell if I kept it in a soundproof box, whereas the 2012 would would practically be begging for death if zoom was open for more than 10 minutes

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Six monitars

https://youtu.be/Kq_FyjcAULA

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Negative.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

No but if you have a .edu email address every so often BB will give the edu price.

I managed to get an Air back in the day for $650 that way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My MacBook Pro I purchased in August is already at 87% battery capacity. Wonder if this baby will burn below 80% in the first year or not.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I hope the M1 Air next year has a modernized shell. MacBooks are gorgeous but the screen bezel size makes it feel a bit aged. Would be happier with a smaller body with equal screen size or same body size with a larger screen.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Anyone using the Mac Mini M1 8gb version yet?

The base Mini is seriously tempting me but I'm concerned about the lack of ram. I'd use it as a second computer for internet browsing, streaming and light video editing. All the reliable journalists seem to have reviewed the 16gb version.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
we should get our first batch of M1 minis in today. Will report in with any pertinent info.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rollie Fingers posted:

Anyone using the Mac Mini M1 8gb version yet?

The base Mini is seriously tempting me but I'm concerned about the lack of ram. I'd use it as a second computer for internet browsing, streaming and light video editing. All the reliable journalists seem to have reviewed the 16gb version.

8 gigs is absolutely enough for that

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
RAM doesn’t seem to be much of an issue based on reviews for the Air, I’d assume the same would be said for the base Mini

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hatty posted:

RAM doesn’t seem to be much of an issue based on reviews for the Air, I’d assume the same would be said for the base Mini

I have not had any issues with memory pressure on my 8 GB MacBook Air. Though I am not doing any video or photo editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

been messing around with a 16" intel MBP and the fans go just as nuts, just as quickly, as on my 2012 MBP.

crazy i admit i dont do much on mine but i'm not sure i've ever heard my 16" fans really spin. work got it for me and i'm 99% management/admin these days but still. i didnt know the fan was a major deal