Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Understand, this is a book we are excited for you to read. Because, unlike the last book, the payoff of this one... :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

now that mord has finished, I just want to say: while book 2 has problems, Vin taking a giant leap and literally slicing Straff in half with an anime-sized sword owns

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I was surprised at how many cool chapters that book has when I was rereading it, I had no real recollection of the book and always hear how slow it is. Her and Zane clearing out the entire tower was fuckin badass too

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I'm only on chapter 5 right now and I've had to stop myself looking up a couple things as I'm sure they'll get explained and I'm so wary of spoilers after always falling into the trap of finding a spoiler when looking up very not spoiler things.

I like the evolution of the Steel Inquisitors so far. Again, it feels very video gamey in a great way.

Most things get explained, the first Mistborn trilogy is very self-contained. If you do have questions afterwards, it's safer to ask those questions in this thread, otherwise you risk getting spoiled for the later Mistborn books, or even other Cosmere works.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Finished Rhythm of War the other day. Really liked it, my only issues were the flashbacks, I feel like flashbacks this time were added because they're part of the composition of these books, I don't feel like they taught us much, especially compared to the ones in Oathbringer, besides some extra things about Listener's culture, though I loved the last flashback with Eshonai. Maybe keep the flashbacks, but have less of them.

Kelsier being the leader of the Ghostblood is too obvious, though how long ago was Mistborn in the timeline? Because Kelek calls Thaidakar old.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Adnor posted:

Finished Rhythm of War the other day. Really liked it, my only issues were the flashbacks, I feel like flashbacks this time were added because they're part of the composition of these books, I don't feel like they taught us much, especially compared to the ones in Oathbringer, besides some extra things about Listener's culture, though I loved the last flashback with Eshonai. Maybe keep the flashbacks, but have less of them.

Kelsier being the leader of the Ghostblood is too obvious, though how long ago was Mistborn in the timeline? Because Kelek calls Thaidakar old.

Rhythm of War and Mistborn Era 2 spoilers:

The first five books of Stormlight Archive are set before Alloy of Law but after Hero of Ages, according to Brandon. How long before isn't clear, but I think it's not that long. Harmony speaks of maybe having found a champion who's of both Ruin and Preservation, a sword that can protect. Common speculation is that he means Wax. Wax and Wayne are set a bit more than 300 years after Hero of Ages. Substract a few years for Wax maybe just having started out in the Roughs at that time, and add a few years for Kelsier already being an adult when he was killed, and he's probably at least 300 years old. Which is of course pretty young compared to a Herald's age, but still old for any "mortal" being.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Rhythm of War and Mistborn Era 2 spoilers:

The first five books of Stormlight Archive are set before Alloy of Law but after Hero of Ages, according to Brandon. How long before isn't clear, but I think it's not that long. Harmony speaks of maybe having found a champion who's of both Ruin and Preservation, a sword that can protect. Common speculation is that he means Wax. Wax and Wayne are set a bit more than 300 years after Hero of Ages. Substract a few years for Wax maybe just having started out in the Roughs at that time, and add a few years for Kelsier already being an adult when he was killed, and he's probably at least 300 years old. Which is of course pretty young compared to a Herald's age, but still old for any "mortal" being.

yeah i've seen a few people mention this as showing maybe it isn't Kelsier, if a thousands-of-years-old Herald calls him "old" -- but i think it's probably just a sign that Kalak knows "Thaidakar" is immortal and doesn't know how old he actually is, just older than any human should be

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

eke out posted:

yeah i've seen a few people mention this as showing maybe it isn't Kelsier, if a thousands-of-years-old Herald calls him "old" -- but i think it's probably just a sign that Kalak knows "Thaidakar" is immortal and doesn't know how old he actually is, just older than any human should be

ROW/Mistborn
I think hoid refers to having met Thaidakar on other 'planets' (plural). Most evidence points to it being Kelsier - but the water is muddy enough that there is space for it not to be true

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Also ROW / Warbreaker

What happens with perfect pitch if you sing the anti-stormlight / anti-voidlight sound at a radiant. Vasher just got OP

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Strumpy posted:

ROW/Mistborn
I think hoid refers to having met Thaidakar on other 'planets' (plural). Most evidence points to it being Kelsier - but the water is muddy enough that there is space for it not to be true

More ROW.

Yeah everything but the old comment points to Kelsier. With Hoid meeting him before and hitting him and lord of scars being the most obvious one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Adnor posted:

More ROW.

Yeah everything but the old comment points to Kelsier. With Hoid meeting him before and hitting him and lord of scars being the most obvious one.

Also, Ghostblood -> ghost who uses blood magic/hemalurgy. At this point, with this much evidence, I probably would feel cheated if it wasn't Kelsier.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Torrannor posted:

Also, Ghostblood -> ghost who uses blood magic/hemalurgy. At this point, with this much evidence, I probably would feel cheated if it wasn't Kelsier.

Agreed. It's also worth noting that Hoid can't punch most people. So that limits the list further.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It may be so "obvious" because its an obvious fakeout. :smug:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'll actually drive to Utah and scream at Brandon from a socially safe distance

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Finished Rhythm of War and loved it. Kind of suffered through the flashbacks -- I hate it when I'm seeing that kind of thing where I know it's gonna turn out bad -- but I think they were still important/useful for understanding the culture.

Some parts were lengthy and in-depth in a way that can be charitably described as Classic Sanderson, but it didn't bother me at all, possibly because I've read like 6 million words of Wandering Inn which is easily an order of magnitude worse at # of things happening / 100k words.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

RC Cola posted:

I'll actually drive to Utah and scream at Brandon from a socially safe distance

M_Gargantua posted:

It may be so "obvious" because its an obvious fakeout. :smug:

Doubt that it'll be a fakeout of any sort, considering how good Sanderson is about foreshadowing and not jerking his readers around, unlike Jordan. :v:

I mean, further RoW spoilers living Shardplate being made of the "cousinspren" was an obvious theory from the start that just became bleeding obvious by OB, as well as that Adolin would restore Maya, and the Fourth Ideal of the Windrunners

Cicero posted:

Finished Rhythm of War and loved it. Kind of suffered through the flashbacks -- I hate it when I'm seeing that kind of thing where I know it's gonna turn out bad -- but I think they were still important/useful for understanding the culture.

Some parts were lengthy and in-depth in a way that can be charitably described as Classic Sanderson, but it didn't bother me at all, possibly because I've read like 6 million words of Wandering Inn which is easily an order of magnitude worse at # of things happening / 100k words.

On the flashbacks in RoW vs the other flashbacks, I've been reflecting on this while thinking about what Sanderson says about his own frameworks and processes:
- I think it's because the flashbacks didn't really advance our understanding of the plot, so much as they advanced our understanding of Eshonai and Venli, one of whom is dead and the other is not very proactive as far as Sanderson characters go.
- We didn't get much new lore or new angles to the treaty with the Alethi or Gavilar's murder, other than the fact that Venli was working with Ulim for a very long time and that Gavilar had a Terriswoman (Axindweth) in his entourage representing an as yet unknown faction.
- For Venli, we already got that pivotal moment in an OB, because her similar "moment" was bonding Timbre. The rest of what she does in the present as well as in the flashbacks is either walking around Voicing for Leshwi or Raboniel and telling people not to do too much or they'll get in trouble, or hating on Eshonai. You can definitely understand better how she became who she is and the relationship between the two sisters, but it's less powerful than it otherwise would have been. As a reader, I was more intrigued by the Navani Prologue as a flashback, compared to the Eshonai/Venli ones.
- In comparison to all the other reveals in RoW, about fabrial science, the Sibling, and the Lights, the flashbacks just don't enough progress and aren't closely linked to the climax of the book to be as satisfying as the other books when the big "secret" was buried in the flashbacks themselves, and caused the characters to make a pivotal decision that affects the direction of the overall plot and the climax. Think Dalinar trading Oathbringer for all of the bridgemen, Kaladin jumping into the arena with Adolin, Shallan activating the Oathgates for the first time, Dalinar opening the perpendicularity at the Battle of Thaylen City. The equivalent moment in RoW was Navani bonding the Sibling and bringing the Tower back to life.

Overall, I'd put RoW down as Sanderson experimenting with structure. This is his visualization of RoW's structure:

We now know that Group 1 is Navani, Venli, Kaladin, Rlain and Lift in the Tower, Group 2 is Shallan and Adolin on the Shadesmar mission to Lasting Integrity and Group 3 is Dalinar and Jasnah at the battlefront in Emul
In the RoW commentary, he was iffy about how he structured the flashbacks in the first place (in particular he noted some issues with doing flashbacks from Eshonai's POV):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/cvvs75/stormlight_book_4_update_5/

Compare this to OB which was initially planned as:

And eventually became:

(I can't find the corresponding updates for WoK and WoR because I don't think he was doing those on Reddit at that point. If I can dig it up, I'll edit them into this post)

I think RoW worked for the superfans mainly because of the new lore we get and the Cosmere connections–certainly these hit me one after another and I was swearing the whole storming way through. It probably works ok on a Stormlight Archive standalone level, because there were still quite a few payoffs that you didn't need to be Cosmere aware for (Taravangian's Ascension, Maya's revelations about the truth behind the Recreance, seeing someone perhaps get the better of Wit for the first time ever, Navani and Raboniel's relationship, the Sibling at long last)

My takeaway from this is, I applaud him for having the courage to experiment as an author even on such a hyped book in a hyped series. And I am really looking forward to Book 5, which RoW spoilers I am hoping is gonna be an entire book of Sanderlanche of the final 10 days.

Leng fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 26, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Strumpy posted:

Also ROW / Warbreaker

What happens with perfect pitch if you sing the anti-stormlight / anti-voidlight sound at a radiant. Vasher just got OP

The most important part of the ending is that hoid no longer has perfect pitch, and will have to continue on his quest to become the most irritating man in existence

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Question re: Shallan and RoW:

So we know that Shallan bonded with, and subsequently deadeyed, a spren. Typically bonding a dead shard blade takes 5 days. Would Shallan have had to take the 5 days? Or would he bond have held from before somehow?

I’m sure someone will ask Brandon about this if they haven’t already. I also wonder how her having 2 blades will play out in the end.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

TheMadMilkman posted:

Question re: Shallan and RoW:

So we know that Shallan bonded with, and subsequently deadeyed, a spren. Typically bonding a dead shard blade takes 5 days. Would Shallan have had to take the 5 days? Or would he bond have held from before somehow?

I’m sure someone will ask Brandon about this if they haven’t already. I also wonder how her having 2 blades will play out in the end.

I didn't think that she currently has two blades; she had one, and now she has a different one. Did that come up in the text?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I didn't think that she currently has two blades; she had one, and now she has a different one. Did that come up in the text?

It's unclear. Actually, I'll go a step further: She probably just has the one Blade, Pattern. Maya was following Adolin around in Shadesmar and was present when Adolin got tossed into it in OB (even after he flew into Kholinar after taking the Oathgate to the Shattered Plains from the tower; even in Shadesmar that's an impressive trek). If Shallan was still bonded with the cryptic it would have been present when she got tossed in with Adolin in OB as well. Also, the Blades dropped during the Recreance were able to be bonded to other people (albeit with a gemstone crutch) so when they went deadeye==no resummon possible.

That said, her situation is somewhat different than the deliberate Recreance actions, and it's possible that the deadeye was found and contained in Lasting Integrity and was thus unable to physically follow her, so that could be an explanation. Also no Blade dropped (that we know of) when the bond was broken, but that could just be because she didn't summon him first before breaking the bond; we just don't know enough about broken Nahel bonds or what happened after Shallan severed her bond to really say definitively.

In any case, she's almost certainly still Connected to the cryptic. She might even be able to restore it much easier than Maya...if not for Pattern. Multiple Nahel bonds are uncharted territory.

Just thought of something else: if Fearspren were needed for warform, and to reliably attain it they used captive spren...do they just have a room with the most neurotic singers freaking out about everything to attract and trap them?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

text is pretty clear on this, she's got two:

"And she knew why Pattern had always been so certain she would kill him. And why he’d acted like a newly bonded spren when she’d begun noticing him on the ship with Jasnah. The simple answer was the true one. He had been newly bonded.

And Shallan had not one Shardblade, but two."

when we previously thought that she was repressing her relationship with Pattern but using him as a blade, that was the fakeout -- she was using her preexisting deadeye shardblade (though now she's progressed far enough with Pattern to use him as well)

OAquinas posted:

If Shallan was still bonded with the cryptic it would have been present when she got tossed in with Adolin in OB as well.

Also answered in book: her old cryptic spren was being kept by that shopkeeper that Adolin met that was the cryptic's old friend, trapped there to stop them from making their way to Shallan (much like Timbre's grandfather was being kept by his family)

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 27, 2020

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

eke out posted:

text is pretty clear on this, she's got two:

"And she knew why Pattern had always been so certain she would kill him. And why he’d acted like a newly bonded spren when she’d begun noticing him on the ship with Jasnah. The simple answer was the true one. He had been newly bonded.

And Shallan had not one Shardblade, but two."

Ya, that passage is what got me wondering. We know she broke the bond but still has the blade. Since I love knowing how fantasy worlds work, I’m just curious if/how the process of bonding the dead shardblade was different given that she had the bond with the live spren.

There’s definitely an answer, and I imagine it will get asked and covered in a WoB at some point. It doesn’t strike me as a RAFO thing, but who knows.

There’s also the questions of whether she could actually tolerate summoning her deadeye blade, whether Pattern could tolerate being held at the same time as a deadeye blade, or if she could assign Radiant to summon he deadeye blade without hearing the screaming, since that personality is still separate. Those strike me as more RAFO type things

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010
I guess it makes sense for the character of Shallan to go from multiple personalities to bonding multiple spren seems like one of those really obvious in hindsight things Brandon loves.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Shallan and RoW - there is a theory:

We've seen her use the semi-dead Testamentblade-she killed Tyn with it in WoR:

"Shallan growled, thrusting her hands forward. Mist twisted and writhed in her hands as a brilliantly silver Blade formed there, spearing Tyn through the chest."

She's a Lightweaver, if she had a living blade, it should glow garnet. It doesn't at this point, because Testament is a deadeye.

In the beginning of WoR when they're still sailing from Kharbranth, she writes:

"When I Soulcast for the first time, a voice demanded a truth from me. I still don't know what that means, and Jasnah has not been forthcoming. She doesn't seem to know what to make of my experience either. I do not think that voice belonged to Pattern, but I cannot say, as he seems to have forgotten much about himself."

If you go back and look at the Cryptic asking her for a truth to Soulcast - she says "I am terrified" halfway through WoK. Then when she confronts Jasnah to prove the Soulcaster is a fake, the Cryptic speaking and asking for a different truth "I'm a murderer. I killed my father" to strengthen the bond speaks differently.

Note that when she's in the chasms with Kaladin, she's got a completely different Blade–this is Pattern:

"Kaladin stared at the glistening length of metal, which dripped with condensation from its summoning. It glowed softly the color of garnet along several faint lines down its length."

Later when she's carving out the handholds for them to climb to safety, the Patternblade changes size. She also saves the armies with the Patternblade when she unlocks the Oathgate to Urithiru.

We know from WoB that different Orders get Blades at different times. Windrunners get it at the Third Ideal but Lightweavers seem to get it earlier at the Second Ideal.

Finally, three things now make sense in combination: Radiant being spotted by Jasnah in glowing garnet Shardplate at the Battle of Thaylen City, Adolin asking her at the beginning of OB whether she has Shardplate hidden somewhere and Shallan reacting weirdly when she lies and says she doesn't know where Plate comes from, and the WoB saying at the end of WoR Shallan was one level higher than Kaladin. Shallan totally had Shardplate since the first truth we saw on screen in WoK was her Fourth Ideal with Testament.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

Shallan and RoW - there is a theory:

We've seen her use the semi-dead Testamentblade-she killed Tyn with it in WoR:

"Shallan growled, thrusting her hands forward. Mist twisted and writhed in her hands as a brilliantly silver Blade formed there, spearing Tyn through the chest."

She's a Lightweaver, if she had a living blade, it should glow garnet. It doesn't at this point, because Testament is a deadeye.

In the beginning of WoR when they're still sailing from Kharbranth, she writes:

"When I Soulcast for the first time, a voice demanded a truth from me. I still don't know what that means, and Jasnah has not been forthcoming. She doesn't seem to know what to make of my experience either. I do not think that voice belonged to Pattern, but I cannot say, as he seems to have forgotten much about himself."

If you go back and look at the Cryptic asking her for a truth to Soulcast - she says "I am terrified" halfway through WoK. Then when she confronts Jasnah to prove the Soulcaster is a fake, the Cryptic speaking and asking for a different truth "I'm a murderer. I killed my father" to strengthen the bond speaks differently.

Note that when she's in the chasms with Kaladin, she's got a completely different Blade–this is Pattern:

"Kaladin stared at the glistening length of metal, which dripped with condensation from its summoning. It glowed softly the color of garnet along several faint lines down its length."

Later when she's carving out the handholds for them to climb to safety, the Patternblade changes size. She also saves the armies with the Patternblade when she unlocks the Oathgate to Urithiru.

We know from WoB that different Orders get Blades at different times. Windrunners get it at the Third Ideal but Lightweavers seem to get it earlier at the Second Ideal.

Finally, three things now make sense in combination: Radiant being spotted by Jasnah in glowing garnet Shardplate at the Battle of Thaylen City, Adolin asking her at the beginning of OB whether she has Shardplate hidden somewhere and Shallan reacting weirdly when she lies and says she doesn't know where Plate comes from, and the WoB saying at the end of WoR Shallan was one level higher than Kaladin. Shallan totally had Shardplate since the first truth we saw on screen in WoK was her Fourth Ideal with Testament.

This is really well thought out, I never caught that detail from WoR. All of this makes a lot of sense, thanks for this write-up.

It might be that the less war/battle focused orders get shardblade earlier? A windrunner squire presumably knows how to defend themselves, giving them a living blade would increase their power enormously. Lightweavers are usually more like scholars or artists, so them getting a blade increases their self-defense capabilities, but they will not wreak havoc on the battlefield like a member of the more martial orders could. And since the structure of the Knights Radiants is full of limits of the radiant's powers, it would make sense that blade and plate come later for those knights who could really make use of them.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So based on that theory, I’m asking the wrong question. It’s not how did she bond with her deadeye shardblade, it’s ‘is Testament actually a deadeye as they are traditionally thought of?’

And that question is almost certainly a RAFO question.

Hm... my immediate additional thoughts:

The same way that Veil is a much older split of Shallan's personality, used to hide the pain of her past actions, Radiant is also much older and is related to her bond with Testament.

Torrannor posted:

This is really well thought out, I never caught that detail from WoR. All of this makes a lot of sense, thanks for this write-up.

It might be that the less war/battle focused orders get shardblade earlier? A windrunner squire presumably knows how to defend themselves, giving them a living blade would increase their power enormously. Lightweavers are usually more like scholars or artists, so them getting a blade increases their self-defense capabilities, but they will not wreak havoc on the battlefield like a member of the more martial orders could. And since the structure of the Knights Radiants is full of limits of the radiant's powers, it would make sense that blade and plate come later for those knights who could really make use of them.

I personally think this has more to do with what the spren types value and represent. Proving yourself honorable takes longer, for instance, whereas being willing to speak truth can come quickly. For Lopen, as an example, proving himself honorable required admitting to the pain that he caused others. Kaladin proved himself honorable in admitting that he HAD acted honorably in protecting Tien, but had to admit that he couldn't protect everyone all the time. It would also be why his tattoo finally healed. He had felt he deserved the brand because he had failed, when from the spren perspective, he had acted still acted honorably in his attempts, and protecting Tien was simply beyond his reach.

That Honorspren and Windrunners are more war/battle focused is probably more a side effect of Alethi culture and Vorinism.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 27, 2020

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

eke out posted:

the "old" description of Thaidakar tripped me up too, but then I remembered that the Heralds can't really feel the passage of time correctly. Their whole existance is just a blur, Ash commented on this previously and in this book Nale thinks it has been "several generations" since the last Desolation.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

TheMadMilkman posted:

That Honorspren and Windrunners are more war/battle focused is probably more a side effect of Alethi culture and Vorinism.

I think this is at least partially due to their oaths. After the first one that all orders share, Lightweavers just tell truths about themselves so really they are the least behaviourally bound of any order of surgebinder. Windrunner ideals are actual statements of intent that Windrunners then have to hold to and guide their actions a lot more than Lightweavers. If you swear "I will protect those who cannot protect themselves", then if you see people in need of protection you HAVE to go protect them and then probably throw down with whoever is threatening the people you want to protect. Having to get into fights seems like a fairly obvious result of following through on the Windrunner ideals.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheMadMilkman posted:

So based on that theory, I’m asking the wrong question. It’s not how did she bond with her deadeye shardblade, it’s ‘is Testament actually a deadeye as they are traditionally thought of?’

yeah it wouldn't surprise me if Testament's MUCH more recent "death" and Shallan's return to being a Radiant makes it less "dead" than those that have been that way for thousands of years.

everyone in-universe is clearly completely wrong about how dead deadeyes are and what exactly caused it, and the only person we've seen so far that gets that this isn't a fundamental property of how spren work but rather a new thing is Kalak.

i bet that, when they're able to free BAM and fix whatever it is related to her imprisonment that caused the deadeyes, Testament will actually have a bond with Shallan unlike all the others

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 27, 2020

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

eke out posted:

i bet that, when they're able to free BAM and fix whatever it is related to her imprisonment that caused the deadeyes, Testament will actually have a bond with Shallan unlike all the others
New theory this just made me think of: BAM was the child of Honor and Cultivation before being Unmade, which is why the Sibling is a sibling and not an only child. BAM granted the singers forms of power because BAM was the one who created the first highspren, and then created Odium's intelligent voidspren, but they went deadeye when BAM got sealed. Which is also why most fused are basically deadeyes.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Definitely seems possible that the Recreance wasn't exactly what it appeared to be. Instead of the Knights Radiant abandoning their oaths, dead eyesing their spren and then ditching their gear and walking off, their spren may have dead eyesd themselves and then the Knights Radiant may have ditched the gear and walked away.

I wonder if it's possible that what was done to Bao altered the Nahel bond so that Knights Radiant could become unchained.
There have been hints at this, the refugees from the Tranquline Halls destroying their planet with their unchained use of surges. They mention their animals being scarred by the surge use.
What if Odium was trying to make warriors and guys who are each walking around with the potential to nuke the opposition using a Division surge to split the atom sounds like an effective warrior.

I think there are legs to this idea. Dalinar was described as an unchained Bondsmith, so maybe the Nahel bond aint what it used to be.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

HidaO-Win posted:

Definitely seems possible that the Recreance wasn't exactly what it appeared to be. Instead of the Knights Radiant abandoning their oaths, dead eyesing their spren and then ditching their gear and walking off, their spren may have dead eyesd themselves and then the Knights Radiant may have ditched the gear and walked away.

I wonder if it's possible that what was done to Bao altered the Nahel bond so that Knights Radiant could become unchained.
There have been hints at this, the refugees from the Tranquline Halls destroying their planet with their unchained use of surges. They mention their animals being scarred by the surge use.
What if Odium was trying to make warriors and guys who are each walking around with the potential to nuke the opposition using a Division surge to split the atom sounds like an effective warrior.

I think there are legs to this idea. Dalinar was described as an unchained Bondsmith, so maybe the Nahel bond aint what it used to be.

i think this is too explicitly refuted in the book: Honor died and is no longer around to enforce the rules he created, that's that part of the problem with the Nahel bond. the Stormfather directly says as much

but BAM's death definitely did something to the spren themselves.

i broadly agree with the theory (which a bunch of people have posted on the 17th Shard) that BAM was some kind of Bondsmith-level Spren of Roshar, connected to both Singers and Spren alike, and the severing of that connection damaged both.

Infinite Karma posted:

New theory this just made me think of:

[spoiler]Sja-Anat calls the Sibling her "cousin", though, this just seems to be how the high-level sapient demigodspren talk about each other. I think BAM and other Unmade were demigodspren of big, important ideas and concepts, much like how pre-Honor the Stormfather was still a big, important spren because societies around the world all personified the force of the highstorm in their thoughts. And, I suspect, exactly what they represented and how people thought of them before being Unmade is what determined whether they were sapient or more animalistic.

What BAM's role was is more tricky, since we know so little about her and her portfolio, but Sja-Anat seems to be themed around mirrors and secrets, and could've had some portfolio related to that where the way humans and singers thought of her resulted in her being fully sapient.

Similarly, the Thrill was likely the spren of Battle or Conflict or something along those lines, in a relatively neutral way, that then was perverted into destructive battle rage. Ditto Ashertmarn, the "Heart of the Revel" was probably related to positive emotions and celebrations before.

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 27, 2020

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

My BAM theory was based on the passage about forms of power formerly being granted directly by Odium, and not related to capturing the correct spren, but BAM took over and made it an independent process to connect the singers to Odium's power (which may not have been done via voidspren previously to BAM).

Combine that with the idea that when humans captured BAM, all the singers went into dullform (i.e. they lost their captive spren), and it was simultaneous all around the world.

The fact that links it to the radiants is that all the radiant spren went deadeye simultaneously also. Otherwise, some of them would have almost definitely backed out or left a note about what happened after the first few thousand radiants blew up their best friends. It makes a lot of sense that binding BAM was the thing that caused the Recreance too, since they knew it would be a sacrifice, but not what the sacrifice would be.

When Syl was in the Physical Realm but not bonded, she said she lost her mind until she bonded Kaladin. Clearly there's some mojo between sentient spren, their minds, and their connection to mortals, especially considering that Maya is getting more of her mind back as her connection to Adolin grows. BAM has to be stuck in the middle of that somewhere, with granting spren minds, connecting them to mortals, and splitting bodies from minds when reversed.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I think I've been underestimating Honor's slow death as the driver of events during and since the Recreance. Sure the capture of BAM had catastrophic results, but how was this mid-tier spren able to Connect with nearly the entire singer race in the first place? Because Honor was dying and as a result the safety-locks and limitations that were enforced on Roshar's magic system (to prevent a repeat of what went down on Ashyn) were dissolving. Similarly the Radiant spren turning into deadeyes was also an unexpected result of the breakdown of Honor's regulation of bonds.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I am still very very early on in Hero of Ages.

As for the epigraphs - Before starting the book, I assumed they would be from Rashik. As we had Elendi’s journal in book 1 and Quan’s testament in book 2. Felt natural to end it with Rashik. But after going five chapters in, they reference Rashik, so it can’t be him.

I’m convinced it but me Sazed as it is in his style of speech (“here is my statement, I think”). But I don’t know how this comes to be. I’m excited though because Sazed deserves some good stuff. Would have never expected him to become the Hero of Ages, but I’m excited for it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

RoW
One of the big mysteries that I don’t think has been answered and could explain a lot is why the Spren switched from being with the Singers to the Humans in the first place. From the way that one Fused at the end spoke it seemed like the singers had bonds similar to the ones Radiants have before they got forms of power from Odium.

Also do we know how Surgebinding even worked for humans originally before they came to Roshar? The people stayed use weird sickness magic their now which isn’t the same thing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ethiser posted:

RoW
One of the big mysteries that I don’t think has been answered and could explain a lot is why the Spren switched from being with the Singers to the Humans in the first place. From the way that one Fused at the end spoke it seemed like the singers had bonds similar to the ones Radiants have before they got forms of power from Odium.

Also do we know how Surgebinding even worked for humans originally before they came to Roshar? The people stayed use weird sickness magic their now which isn’t the same thing.

Song of Spren posted:

The spren betrayed us, it's often felt.
Our minds are too close to their realm
That gives us our forms, but more is then
Demanded by the smartest spren,
We can't provide what the humans lend,
Though broth are we, their meat is men.

This would also kinda explain why bonded Listeners were no big deal in early Roshar. A spren bond with a Listener is not as deep, not as powerful as a Nahel Bond, Listeners can't blow up the world with Radiant powers.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Keep listening, Mord! I think you are going to truly enjoy the resolution of Sazed’s part of the story.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

TheMadMilkman posted:

Keep listening, Mord! I think you are going to truly enjoy the resolution of Sazed’s part of the story.

This!

Ethiser posted:

RoW

We got a slight hint of this when Leshwi told Venli that the fact she's been bonded means the spren have forgiven them, so I don't think it's as simple as the song implies. Even just stuff in RoW indicates that the songs were flawed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
ROW All

So I finished a while ago and have been reading through comments here and on reddit. I think most of you have already touched on the problems with the book, but I still have to point out a few things I really disliked, and some I liked:

-I hated that Adolin/Shallan's chapters completely wasted using the other Radiants. They ended up being completely unused with the tiniest amount of backstory. We are now going to be in the 5th book without ever seeing a combined Radiant squad kicking some rear end using their powers in combination. It is always just Windrunners alone, or Lightweavers alone. I have been waiting for this since book 2 and it honestly really pissed me off when so much time was wasted elsewhere in these chapters. While the scene with Adolin/Maya confronting the humans in Shadesmar was super cool, I wish Brandon had written it that he just delayed enough for the Radiants to show up and just wipe the floor with them. It is now obvious to me that Brandon is doing this on purpose though so he has lots of cool combos happening in the back 5 book series.
-Also with Adolin/Shallan's chapters I wanted more with the Maya/Deadeye reveal. They said there were hundreds or thousands of deadeyes outside the keep so what happened when Maya talked? Just seemed to be left hanging there.
-Vasher completely disappeared and was never mentioned again in the book. Really really weak.
-gently caress Lirin. I'm still waiting for the reveal of why he is such a dick about fighting which seemed to be a perfect place to put his backstory but nope.
-Venli's chapters were ok although I never really liked her as a character (why should I care about this cowardly listener... I just don't), but what I really disliked were her flashback chapters which felt completely like filler and really didn't reveal anything we didn't already know or could discern from Eshonai's chapters.

+Shallan's reveal made sense and fit in nicely. While it wasn't as impactful as something like Vin's earring, it seems completely obvious in hindsight which Brandon is so good at.
+The imagery of a completely broken Kaladin in front of the giant window in Urithiru with Teft's dead body in front of him just was *chef's kiss* perfect
+gently caress Moash
+Raboniel was cool and was not what I expected at all. Very good one book villain(?)
+Dalinar is still the man and the best character in these books. Every chapter with him was great and I just wanted more.
+T-Odium was a great twist.
+While I think he overdid it with the info dumps, I did like that Brandon was basically tired of us guessing about stuff and did a lot of reveals on just how the cosmere, shards, light, etc all work with Navani's chapters.

Overall it was probably my least favorite Stormlight book, but understanding that he outlined both book 4 and 5 together makes me understand that this is really just the first half of a massive story he wanted to tell and has to get the characters, plot, and information to the reader that he needs to put out a killer book 5.