Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Shortest Path posted:

TWI patreon: Ahahahahahahahah get hosed Persua.

For real though that chapter was awesome.

Said chapter is now public and I concur, that was some good loving poo poo. TWI has its flaws but chapters like this one really make all the slow worldbuilding and ten billion character arcs worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Said chapter is now public and I concur, that was some good loving poo poo. TWI has its flaws but chapters like this one really make all the slow worldbuilding and ten billion character arcs worth it.

this kind of chapter is happening more and more, and we're finally getting to the real payoff for the way the story has been structured. it just turns out you have to write the longest english language work in history to get to this point

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's still shorter than all 21 or so Auburey/Marturin novels but not by much.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

it's a cool library, lozzie from katalepsis. they just don't appreciate it.

Lozzie's like you all think this is crazy? Come see some of my old hangouts.

Omi no Kami posted:

Poor apes, everyone should get hype about the tentacle library of madness. I'm also genuinely astonished that Evelyn is apparently top-y, I never would've guessed.

Speaking of being surprised I got bored and ran a dispersion plot on Katalepsis, and it is downright shameful that the word 'horny' only occurs once in the entire corpus:

The only time that last entry in the dispersion plot would come up is if somebody gets Raine talking politics, and I'm reluctant to do that on-screen.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

i think it's still shorter than all 21 or so Auburey/Marturin novels but not by much.

It's something like 4 times as many words.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Still think we're only half way done with twi

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

Lozzie's like you all think this is crazy? Come see some of my old hangouts.

The only time that last entry in the dispersion plot would come up is if somebody gets Raine talking politics, and I'm reluctant to do that on-screen.

That's probably a smart decision- I don't know if I've ever seen a non-politically focused story that was improved by throwing in politics, regardless of the actual opinion. I mainly threw it in out of morbid curiosity, 'cause a friend of mine from Manchester has an aunt with some fairly passionate opinions about how much fun that particular administration was for LGBT folks, so that's where my brain always goes.

...also good god, I know this isn't Katalepsis but a lovecraftian horror story about politicians being literal ghouls and eldritch creatures might actually be fun, albeit not nearly as wholesome as KT.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Omi no Kami posted:

...also good god, I know this isn't Katalepsis but a lovecraftian horror story about politicians being literal ghouls and eldritch creatures might actually be fun, albeit not nearly as wholesome as KT.
That story by the Slate Star Codex dude about kabbalistic magic being real starting in 1970 had Reagan as a golem (he still gets shot and oops, turns out he's made of clay) and Obama as a literal magical negromancer

Feel free to check out at any point in that sentence, god knows I read the entire thing and uh... you shouldn't.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The latest Laundry novel by Stross is the first of a new trilogy, set after Nyarlathotep becomes the Prime Minister. Plenty of cultists in office, heads on spikes on the motorway, that kind of thing. Also the protagonists are a plucky band of young thieves with cool superpowers.

It's meant as kind of a side story and a good starting place, if you haven't read the earlier books. The characters don't know about the stuff that happened in them anyway.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That story by the Slate Star Codex dude about kabbalistic magic being real starting in 1970 had Reagan as a golem (he still gets shot and oops, turns out he's made of clay) and Obama as a literal magical negromancer

Feel free to check out at any point in that sentence, god knows I read the entire thing and uh... you shouldn't.

...it is so weird how adding politics to fiction can make it veer straight off the deep end at any moment, holy cow.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Unsong is really good until you start connecting it to the author's politics and then it becomes loving wild, and not in a good way.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
ya i read it without knowing the guy was a rat and it was really funny and enjoyable

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm legit super-happy that I tried reading Lovecraft before researching the guy, and the first thing I read was The Shadow over Innsmouth. It's a really fun short story about a cult of awful fish people, but then you learn about the author, and that the whole story was about him being afraid of Welsh people, and just, like... holy poo poo dude. It's one of the fastest and hardest about-faces I've ever done on a story.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm legit super-happy that I tried reading Lovecraft before researching the guy, and the first thing I read was The Shadow over Innsmouth. It's a really fun short story about a cult of awful fish people, but then you learn about the author, and that the whole story was about him being afraid of Welsh people, and just, like... holy poo poo dude. It's one of the fastest and hardest about-faces I've ever done on a story.

the welsh are supernaturally terrifying, but mostly because of the number of Ls in their place names

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, The Shadow over Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, The Shadow over Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Not gonna lie, I'd read the gently caress outta that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Narmi posted:

I am guessing they are talking about The Solstice War.

No, that's not it. I think the main character's name was Sabine? And there was someone else named Mark Fisher...

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

No, that's not it. I think the main character's name was Sabine? And there was someone else named Mark Fisher...

Doesn't ring any bells unfortunately.

Maybe Mark Fisher was character named after Mark Fisher? I'm not sure if that helps or not.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
New chapters of Worth the Candle finally came out.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
“Wait,” said Raven, “Don’t you literally have an entire expression about that event? ‘Never forget’?”

I looked between Raven and Amaryllis. “I mean, if you’re saying that Osama bin Laden was given money by the CIA — is that what you’re saying?”

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its pretty cringe but also extremely in character for some dumbass suburban american kid to have all this grief for the starving poor but not know anything about american imperialism

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That's a level of historical knowledge that few teenagers in any country would have, I think. Well, maybe teenagers in Afghanistan.

If anything, Juniper has demonstrated seriously unrealistic levels of knowledge across a wide variety of topics for someone who was, what, sixteen when he got isekai'd over? I remember when he was bringing up some computer science poo poo, and I was just thinking, wait what? He's not even a programming/math nerd, not really. How does he know this stuff? I get that his backstory is clearly meant to paint him as "future Jeopardy contestant" kind of material, but still, even for that it sometimes seems excessive how much he knows.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cicero posted:

That's a level of historical knowledge that few teenagers in any country would have, I think. Well, maybe teenagers in Afghanistan.

If anything, Juniper has demonstrated seriously unrealistic levels of knowledge across a wide variety of topics for someone who was, what, sixteen when he got isekai'd over? I remember when he was bringing up some computer science poo poo, and I was just thinking, wait what? He's not even a programming/math nerd, not really. How does he know this stuff? I get that his backstory is clearly meant to paint him as "future Jeopardy contestant" kind of material, but still, even for that it sometimes seems excessive how much he knows.

...so I just realized that my head canon this whole time has been that he's a mid-late 20s guy, even though the story was explicit about his being in class just before poo poo started in the first chapter.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Well he does sound more like that age imo.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Clearly he was reading up on programming during his woodwork classes.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lots of serials have the issue of the author using their own voice instead of one that is more appropriate to the protagonist, and WtC definitely suffers from that issue.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cicero posted:

Its not that unrealistic imo. A guy I knew in high school did state trivia competitions and knew all kinds of poo poo like that at 16.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Lots of serials have the issue of the author using their own voice instead of one that is more appropriate to the protagonist, and WtC definitely suffers from that issue.

Afaik Joon is literally an author insert. It's also definitely in character for him to know random trivia about lots of stuff. His character is basically precisely the smart kid who doesn't have any one thing he is particularly passionate about and just knows a bunch of random stuff about lots of things.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You have to remember the author of WtC is from the group of people who spawned from HPMOR

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i, too, was the kind of idiot teenager that wasn't at all driven or cared about anything but had a bunch of basic facts memorized about all kinds of stuff

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

“Wait,” said Raven, “Don’t you literally have an entire expression about that event? ‘Never forget’?”

I looked between Raven and Amaryllis. “I mean, if you’re saying that Osama bin Laden was given money by the CIA — is that what you’re saying?”

My first thought was "Is this from an advance chapter of Cinnamon Bun? I don't think we met Raven yet in the RR chapters".

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Megazver posted:

My first thought was "Is this from an advance chapter of Cinnamon Bun? I don't think we met Raven yet in the RR chapters".
That is definitely one of the reasons I posted it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

90s Cringe Rock posted:

This entire section was super weird and I have no idea what the author was thinking when they wrote it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's not to understand. jun had a really stupid suggestion and amaryllis pointed out that even on earth it was a famously bad idea.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, it seems straightforward enough to me. Also imo it's good to show that while Joon is weirdly knowledgeable about a lot of things for a teenager, he does still have gaps where he's totally clueless.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I am interested to see what he does with the Long Stairs, as I'm the kind of dork who enjoyed that thread.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I am interested to see what he does with the Long Stairs, as I'm the kind of dork who enjoyed that thread.

Was “the long stairs” a real internet thing like Shia Laborite?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

navyjack posted:

It was a big rpgnet thread, basically as Juniper described it in the story. e: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=391379

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

navyjack posted:

It's a Mario 64 room :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What are this thread's thoughts on Mother of Learning?