Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Resting” strikes me as the wrong word for such a dynamic structural situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The best part is that it probably has its own hydro power.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone done load-bearing great stuff yet?

Break out the tiger posts, boys!

That is indeed a load-bearing wall, and indeed all of the floor joists (and whatever other mass represents the dwelling) above that ceiling are resting on it, and I'd criticize the photographer for being a dumbass for even being down there to make that shot, except I've done it multiple times myself...to document the lateral forces of hydrostatic pressure on non-reinforced cinderblock.

Or as the denial letter goes, "the consequence of the ongoing effects of surface and subsurface water at and below grade"

But for the grace of god goes my own house, which also has a single course of unreinforced cinderblock sitting on sand. The only thing holding it up is institutional memory.

Depending on the size of the house, the location, access to the exterior, condition of the other walls, related engineering issues (ballon frame can be a nightmare) and the soil composition, you're looking at $45-$100K to remedy that. The load on the outside has to be removed.

Great opportunity to deepen the basement/raise the structure.

(edit) gotta say that the Great Stuff in the cracks is hope equivalent of Wile E. Coyote opening a tiny umbrella as the boulder approaches

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 28, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Load bearing memories??

Nice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

“Resting” strikes me as the wrong word for such a dynamic structural situation.
Idling. Loitering. Pausing.

e: Biding

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 28, 2020

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The best part is that it probably has its own hydro power.

https://millpictures.com/mills.php?millid=980

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

wooger posted:

Yeah, seems fine, though cast iron or just a better plastic colour looks much better obviously.

A bunch of houses in the UK are old enough to pre-date toilets inside the house, so as a retrofit this is far easier and safer than running this down through the house.

I was trying to figure out what date inside toilets became common/standard for new builds because both the toilets in my house have a ‘well we’ll wedge it in here’ feel to the placement. The house is 1870s in New England and I would have guessed that was on the side of including them in construction.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ashcans posted:

I was trying to figure out what date inside toilets became common/standard for new builds because both the toilets in my house have a ‘well we’ll wedge it in here’ feel to the placement. The house is 1870s in New England and I would have guessed that was on the side of including them in construction.

In the UK it only became required post WW1. Before that workers houses didn’t have to include them, so often didn’t.

But rich people’s houses had them from the late 1800s.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone done load-bearing great stuff yet?

Well that makes me feel better about the foundation movement in my house, which is at least a) somewhere around 40 years old b) in a rubble foundation which according to the foundation contractor we had out regularly holds up simply by sheer force of will, c) shifted outwards, meaning replacement is a lot cheaper and additional movement is less likely and d) most of the basement is already full of jack posts installed by said contractor.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XLVLtREz6E

Amazing roofing job

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That is a lot of flashing arranged to be water induction scoops, goddamn.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Flushing toilets really didn't take off here in Sweden until the 1920s or so. The old school outhouses ruled until then, and in some areas long thereafter. The most common configuration there was three seats, and it was referred to as "the secret house" not because you did secret poo poo in there but because it was one of the few places where you could chill out and have a private conversion with someone.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Crapper construction tales: conversations in the secret poo poo house

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That awkward moment when you're trying to chill with your main man and then Mr. Bowel Issues joins the party.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That was one of my favorite books as a kid.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 28, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nextdoor is definitely the best place to go with this question

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sirotan posted:

Nextdoor is definitely the best place to go with this question

After 10 minutes it becomes moot because their husband is taking it down anyway

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

imagine the smell

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ruflux posted:

They’re getting up to three these days. One in the shower that you pass out in, the secondary under the sink that’s clogged up with puke or whatever and a tertiary grate thing in front of the door to prevent a flood in the aforementioned scenario.

puke tsunami

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

TBF to the roofers, the roof geometry around the back of that house is totally cursed in any case. They did totally live down to that awfulness though rather than trying to redeem it in any way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I refuse to believe it’s anything but DIY, holy hell.

I think the guy said he was out there as part of a sale inspection? I’m betting the seller got a quote from company from hour-away-town, DIYed it, and then is trying to claim it was professionally done so nobody looks into it. OOPS

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

wooger posted:

In the UK it only became required post WW1. Before that workers houses didn’t have to include them, so often didn’t.

Yeah, my (UK) house is in a terrace of 2-up 2-downs from 1904. The different ways they've been adapted is kind of interesting - mine has a chunk of the old back bedroom cut out to be a bathroom that's essentially built around the bath; both my next-door neighbours have the scullery at the back (my kitchen) as their bathroom, with the back-downstairs room converted to a kitchen.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Gats Akimbo posted:

Yeah, my (UK) house is in a terrace of 2-up 2-downs from 1904. The different ways they've been adapted is kind of interesting - mine has a chunk of the old back bedroom cut out to be a bathroom that's essentially built around the bath; both my next-door neighbours have the scullery at the back (my kitchen) as their bathroom, with the back-downstairs room converted to a kitchen.

Yeah, I looked at maybe 30 Victorian/Edwardian terraces, and most had different layouts.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Saw this shared locally by other goons.
https://www.redfin.com/MD/Ellicott-City/8659-Frederick-Rd-21043/home/22011572

Keep looking at all the images. You'll see.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I used to work on what became the bottom floor of a converted power building for a silk mill. The creek ran under it (the "power building" is what the water wheel was in) and it was always so goddamn cold in there. And damp.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I was trying to remember why Ellicott City sounded familiar. And then I remembered.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/06/01/ellicott-city-flooding-officials-were-warned-years/656529002/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mercury Ballistic posted:

God drat, that's quite the image to be ambushed by.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007

guaranteed posted:

I was trying to remember why Ellicott City sounded familiar. And then I remembered.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/06/01/ellicott-city-flooding-officials-were-warned-years/656529002/

A few years before the flood, a coal train derailed at the bottom of their main street and buried a decent chunk in coal. I swear, the place is cursed.

Most of the buildings in the downtown are still recovering from the flood damage and a bunch have to be razed permanently. We used to go there every few months, but now it's super depressing.

Lot of development in the area and new impermeable surfaces leading to flooding, the current governor had to repeal the "rain tax" on impermeable surfaces then these floods happen under his watch.

Quills fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 2, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

God drat, that's quite the image to be ambushed by.

At first I thought it was going to be the space under the stairs completely blocked by the washer/dryer combo. Then I thought it was the ceiling notch they cut out for the shower door. Then I saw the true horror.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

At first I thought it was going to be the space under the stairs completely blocked by the washer/dryer combo. Then I thought it was the ceiling notch they cut out for the shower door. Then I saw the true horror.

I did a double take on the washer/dryer, but I was flipping past the bathroom shots so I completely missed the notch. Maybe they're hoping that part won't be under water during the next flood?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Quills posted:

Lot of development in the area and new imperable surfaces leading to flooding, the current governor had to repeal the "rain tax" on imperable surfaces then these floods happen under his watch.

I put an offer in on a house in Birmingham UK, that upon further inspection turned out to be at risk of flood. Thankfully retracted after I saw an advert for “<name of area> flood defence scheme” while doing a reccy. Then later found news footage of water flowing down the road next door.

Flooding is not due to the nearby (small) river, but due to water flowing down the roads from neighbouring areas in heavy rain - they’ve paved over an entire valley side for houses and relied on Victorian era sewers for all rain collection.

The same flooding also blocked a major arterial road for days.

I’m now a big fan of permeable paving options for all things.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Splicer posted:

Idling. Loitering. Pausing.

e: Biding

Boding.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Devor posted:

After 10 minutes it becomes moot because their husband is taking it down anyway

Barbara no what are you doing

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What is she actually trying to figure out? I kind of doubt she literally wants to know if she found a circuit connected to an afci in her panel. I guess it could be that simple though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

sleepy gary posted:

What is she actually trying to figure out? I kind of doubt she literally wants to know if she found a circuit connected to an afci in her panel. I guess it could be that simple though.

She took down a half wall but wants to use the existing electrical to plug in a computer and light, and is going to move the outlet to ????

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sirotan posted:

She took down a half wall but wants to use the existing electrical to plug in a computer and light, and is going to move the outlet to ????

I imagine that dealing with people like this is my own version of hell. For high crimes against humanity I'll be damned to forever try to help bitchy lovely people on NextDoor and post advice about Subarus on NASIOC.com

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

None of those words mean anything to me but I got the distinct feeling actual electricians are cringing and biting nails everywhere.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure if there is a better thread for this, but I'm watching someone build a garage in the Netherlands. Their construction choices seem just weird and wrong, but in a good way because I think they are ridiculously over building. They use a kit, from https://www.cornelishout.be/nl, and the price is not mentioned but I suspect it's very high just judging by the size of the timbers and the complexity of the joints.

Maybe I'm just too Americanized to understand, but I feel using 8x8 beams in residential customers is simply a waste, unless your doing it for aesthetic reasons. I believe smaller dimensional lumber (2x4, 2x8, etc) is either as strong as an 8x8 frame, or strong enough for the building. You will of course need more 2x4s to get the same strength as one 8x8 post, but more straight 2x4s can be harvested from a forest than straight 8x8 posts. In addition, I think going with the 8x8 frame makes the building harder to repair in the future since you have to replace an expensive 8x8 post when something goes wrong, instead of replacing a couple cheap 2x4s.

I admire the joinery from a wood working perspective, but a lot of the joints don't really fancy and nice, and the if they do, they will likely be hard to be seen. Having a complex dovetail cut on the end of every 8x8 beam might make assembly easier, but now every piece you have is keyed to fit in one and only one location. You can assemble the 8x8 jigsaw faster, but old fashioned 2x4 framing is more forgiving since all you really need is a stack of 2x4s, a tape measure and a circular saw for 99% of your cuts. A dovetail joint is of course stronger than a nailed joint, but 2x4 framing is designed to place the load in such a way that the nails are functioning more like alignment pins instead of supporting the load.

I admire what they are building, I think it looks pretty, but I simply don't feel like it is an economical way to build. I could understand if they were going for a rustic look or making a luxury dining room, but for an add on garage this seems out of place. Is this common in the Netherlands?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7wU2PYvIKo
Also, I linked Part 2 of the video, Part 1 is just pouring the pad and setting the corner posts.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

By popular demand posted:

None of those words mean anything to me but I got the distinct feeling actual electricians are cringing and biting nails everywhere.

I'm certain that Actual Electricians would be happy to consult and provide an estimate if she explained what she wants to do.

Unfortunately our girl Barb is 72 and knows where the outlet box is and also your manager's phone number. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So that's the electrical version of those early 2000's computer support helpline horror stories?