Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Serious question, because this has been ongoing for a while and I might have forgotten some details: did the Quirk Bullets actually do anything aside from cost Aizawa a leg? Because it seems like Amajiki and Mirio both lost their Quirks for a little while, then got them back, and the rest were just melted and destroyed before they were used to any effect. Does Shigaraki still have more?

The one that hit Amajiki wasn't a perfected version, it only had temporary effects. And because it's "quirk genes" that give the superpowers Aizawa figured cutting off his leg before it spread to the rest of his body would stop it. I think that was the last bullet, Shigaraki laments at all the doctors hard work going to waste. I'm guessing losing your quirk isn't going to be a big plot device going forward. Alternatively they somehow spring the doctor loose too and go to the secret volcano lair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
okay yeah, the league is absolutely losing here and getting captured

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Horikoshi is one crazy loving bastard

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Reconsidering the whole 'this might be the end' thing with this tbf.

I always thought Mirio would be a final absolute in the 'everyones about to be killed' ace in the hole trump card that theyd have Eri pull back. However if hes back & Best Jeanist it kind of ruins the return of both of them. Idk

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
actually it’s hype and raw af

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Genuinely retuning the world to a quirkless one is the best outcome for everyone at this point

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: Scrubbing it until Sunday or a non shitpost translation comes out

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 27, 2020

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

https://w20.readheroacademia.com/manga/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-292/

The shitpost translation might be all we get, but aside from the last line the rest of the chapter is amazing

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Crosspeice posted:

The shitpost translation might be all we get, but aside from the last line the rest of the chapter is amazing

:tviv:

the shitpost translation of the last attack is so terrible it circles back to amazing

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy shiiiiitttt

Did Eri learn how to control her power?? Or maybe the eraser round wore off after enough time passed?? Holy gently caress next chapter please.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vigilantes 90

ora ora ora

also hello Talking Nomu

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

Featuring the Mirko/Rappa team up I never knew I wanted!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT LEMILLION!!!!! 😭

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007931

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-292/chapter/21592?action=read

YES

YES

YES

I am also legitimately confused as to how anybody at this point was still thinking this was the end of the manga. You do realize that if one of the most popular manga currently running in Jump was going through its final climactic battles, we would loving know, right? They'd be making a big-rear end deal of it.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 29, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m not sure how Shigaraki and crew are going to get out if this one, but I’m hoping those scrappy kids pull through somehow.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Now that the chapter is officially out: gently caress yes Lemillion returns! I have to guess that this was an incredibly recent event spurred on by the present chaos. Now the question is, does this mean Eri has some control over her powers now (in which case that might be another way to fix Deku's body) or did he do it on his own somehow?

Ethiser posted:

I’m not sure how Shigaraki and crew are going to get out if this one, but I’m hoping those scrappy kids pull through somehow.

One way or another they are going to Tartarus to see AfO

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Wouldn’t it be perfect for Overhaul’s master plan with the bullets to have ended up half asses and incomplete like everything else about him? I think that’s the most likely path here, that the effect of the bullet wore off after a few months

Okay but real talk seeing Lemillion back in action got me to well up a bit

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Carlosologist posted:

Wouldn’t it be perfect for Overhaul’s master plan with the bullets to have ended up half asses and incomplete like everything else about him? I think that’s the most likely path here, that the effect of the bullet wore off after a few months

Yeah the bullets wearing off on their own would have a nice thematic resonance to it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah the bullets wearing off on their own would have a nice thematic resonance to it.

Naw, that would be god awful.

Also, trivia, including a catch about approximately when Mirio's quirk was restored.

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1333109428044722176

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Kinda worried about our boy Deku trying to replace his ruined limbs with whips and floating, glad that might not be necessary.

Also, a minor thing, but I like when Horikoshi plays with the paneling. The panel where Jeanist is restraining Machia has threaded borders, and then the page with Dabi saying "By your flames!" has flame-like bordering on the vertical panel.

e:f,b by caleb, hah.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1333109474777677825

Burnin' rules

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shere posted:

Kinda worried about our boy Deku trying to replace his ruined limbs with whips and floating, glad that might not be necessary.

I'm really starting to worry about what Deku's mental state will be like after this battle. He's destroyed his body and is beating himself up about how he hasn't actually saved anyone yet, meanwhile the guy Nighteye kept saying should have gotten One For All just showed up to save the day.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
POWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I'm really starting to worry about what Deku's mental state will be like after this battle. He's destroyed his body and is beating himself up about how he hasn't actually saved anyone yet, meanwhile the guy Nighteye kept saying should have gotten One For All just showed up to save the day.

I imagine that hopefully Mirio gives him a similar pep talk that Nighteye gave Mirio, how he held the line until the cavalry arrived. I mean, everyone would be dead if Midoriya hadn't gone ham and gotten new plot powers. Part of me wonders if the next arc will be Midoriya and Shigaraki severely hosed up and recovering (mentally AND physically in Midoryia's case) in order to pad out the time and give other characters a chance in the limelight.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Aurubin posted:

I imagine that hopefully Mirio gives him a similar pep talk that Nighteye gave Mirio, how he held the line until the cavalry arrived. I mean, everyone would be dead if Midoriya hadn't gone ham and gotten new plot powers. Part of me wonders if the next arc will be Midoriya and Shigaraki severely hosed up and recovering (mentally AND physically in Midoryia's case) in order to pad out the time and give other characters a chance in the limelight.

I wonder if Midoriya will have to skip that school festival with how heavily damaged he is.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if Midoriya will have to skip that school festival with how heavily damaged he is.
I'm sure he could try wearing Hatsume Mei prosthetics and figure out how to use them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Carlosologist posted:

The most recent panel of Eri has her horn almost invisible, just like after the fight with Overhaul. Looks liker her power was either used or went off on its own again. I imagine we'll see that soon.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 29, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Aurubin posted:

As you alluded to this whole thing kind of parallels the ending of the Overhaul arc, where this time Deku sacrificed himself to hold the line and kept fighting passed the point that he should be incapacitated with Mirio turning up to save the day at the nick of time. Time which they only have because of Deku saving everyone's rear end which crippling himself. We'll have to see how big of an effect that Mirio can have but apart from Machia he should be able to take out everyone left imo.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Rhonne posted:

Ehhhh. Deku outright saved every single person there from death, multiple times. Lemillion gets to come in and clean up but there's no doubt who did all the heavy lifting today. Deku was hard on himself because he couldn't finish it the way All Might might've, but I think it'd be a bit too dour after a bunch of heavy chapters for it to end with Deku feeling inferior to Mirio. We squashed that with the Overhaul arc.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
RIP Hado, for a while it looked like you actually would do something. But nah, the Big Three (lol) member actually doing something was Mirio all along. I guess at least she gets a cool scar, if she survives? :shrug:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Ehhhh. Deku outright saved every single person there from death, multiple times. Lemillion gets to come in and clean up but there's no doubt who did all the heavy lifting today. Deku was hard on himself because he couldn't finish it the way All Might might've, but I think it'd be a bit too dour after a bunch of heavy chapters for it to end with Deku feeling inferior to Mirio. We squashed that with the Overhaul arc.

No one would ever blame Deku for not leaping back into it or say he failed everyone, but that theoretically wont stop Deku from thinking it. It might not even strictly be "i am worse than mirio" at this point and just "I didn't do enough".

Honestly considering all the insight into his thoughts this fight, Bakugo's thoughts on all this and even some of flashback All Might's comments I Think Deku's next big character moment is breaking his self-sacrificial tendencies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/heroaca_movie/status/1333214231752151041

Summer.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Once I read the translator notes I remembered that panel from 276. How many more chapters until we get to the resolution/reset phase? I feel like Hori will want to have things set up for the next arc by 300

maybe the time skip arc will be Deku doing PT and some mental health things to help break those self-sacrificial tendencies :unsmith:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think it is almost certain that Deku is going to have to directly address his self-sacrificial impulse, for like a million reasons, but none more plot-critical than this impulse is exactly why All Might was All Might, but also why All Might eventually burned out and Japanese Hero Society lost their Symbol of Peace.

Deku's trajectory isn't going to be All Might's, by definition it has to be different.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's true that it's not a healthy mindset, and he's doing a lot of unproductive beating-himself-up here when he's clearly too broken to keep fighting, but I don't know if he had any alternative for the actual attacks he did that damaged himself so badly.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Izuku will get a bunch of therapy about self-sacrifice, resolve to do better, and then get immediately thrown into a situation where he has to risk everything or everyone dies again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Funky Valentine posted:

Izuku will get a bunch of therapy about self-sacrifice, resolve to do better, and then get immediately thrown into a situation where he has to risk everything or everyone dies again.

Yeah this is the enduring problem. It really doesn't matter how much soul searching he does about how being too self-sacrificing is dangerous, or how many trusted mentor figures advise him to stop; almost all of the times he's straight up destroyed himself against an actual villain, it was pretty much the only possible route he could have taken to save lives.

He's turned most of his body into chunky salsa here, but if he hadn't done so it's pretty much guaranteed that everyone present would have died before the cavalry arrived, and Shigaraki would be fully conscious to continue giving Machia orders.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of destroying your own body, I wonder how much is going to be left of Dabi after this? We already know he gets hurt by his own quirk and he's going all out right here. He's going to be a burnt out husk if he keeps this up. I'm not really sure he cares much at this point, but still.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kanos posted:

Yeah this is the enduring problem. It really doesn't matter how much soul searching he does about how being too self-sacrificing is dangerous, or how many trusted mentor figures advise him to stop; almost all of the times he's straight up destroyed himself against an actual villain, it was pretty much the only possible route he could have taken to save lives.

He's turned most of his body into chunky salsa here, but if he hadn't done so it's pretty much guaranteed that everyone present would have died before the cavalry arrived, and Shigaraki would be fully conscious to continue giving Machia orders.

And it would have been a lot easier to ignore if they didn't keep bringing up the idea, but since they do I could very easily write a hot take about how Deku isn't actually a hero at all, just a suicidal, self-destructive teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Welcome to my AnimeTheory where I explain why Deku will become a villain. You see Dabi is also destroying himself due to the unrealistic expectations of a father figure and