Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I want to build a small loft in my shed to create extra storage space. The shed is 14 feet long, and I want a 2-by-8-by-14ft piece of wood to span that width (so that there is no need for vertical support in the middle). The design I have come up with is to install the "joist' between two studs, one on each of the walls on opposing sides of the shed.

I plan on attaching the joist to each stud using a joist hangar (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Simpson-Strong-Tie-2-x-6-Concealed-Flange-Hanger/3034124). Would there be any concerns with attaching this joist hangar to the thin end (1.5 inches) of a stud? Every application I see attaches joist hangars to a ledgerboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'd have some serious concerns about that being sufficient - even if the hanger is sufficient a 2x4 on the wall of a shed is.......suspect for a shelf/loft you think you need a 2x8 for.

Sounds like you should put a cripple under each end of this 14 foot 2x8 at a minimum. Mid span would depend on the load.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 29, 2020

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What do I do for a moulding on this corner?
https://i.imgur.com/1Jf8E9y.jpg
I'd estimate the angle at 30°.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Contact the landlords and tell them what you told us -- there's some kind of respiratory hazard inside the unit, you know it's there specifically and not just a coincidence, and the unit is not safe for habitation. It needs to be tested and fixed ASAP.

I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, but this website I found claims that landlords are legally liable for remediating all major health and safety hazards, which black mold qualifies as. You should contact your local city's building and planning department and ask them about black mold...they're probably not the right resource but they will know who is, and that group can then tell you what your rights and responsibilities are.

Meanwhile, I advise inviting your GF over or at least finding a hotel.

We're waiting to hear back from the landlord, municipality's DoH says Landlord's responsible to fix, we'll see how it goes.

Wish she could stay here, but it's like 2 hours from her job, and my house is mostly gutted right now, and her kitties would have to stay with my mom. It's an option though, and I told her to do it if she wants.

She snapped some pictures, this is her bedroom window which is about a foot above grade, looks like moisture penetration, I'm concerned it's also leaching into the wall.

Outside

Inside

OSU_Matthew posted:

Have you had the Rona? I had a nasty dry cough for several months after I caught it back in early February. It’s like all those old white ladies who were complaining to Yankee Candle that their candles don’t smell like anything without any hint of realization.

We've both been exposed, so there's a fleeting chance we were just asymptomatic, I really doubt it though, I'm in my 30's, smoke, and am asthmatic, I don't think I'd be that lucky.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jose Cuervo posted:

I want to build a small loft in my shed to create extra storage space. The shed is 14 feet long, and I want a 2-by-8-by-14ft piece of wood to span that width (so that there is no need for vertical support in the middle). The design I have come up with is to install the "joist' between two studs, one on each of the walls on opposing sides of the shed.

I plan on attaching the joist to each stud using a joist hangar (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Simpson-Strong-Tie-2-x-6-Concealed-Flange-Hanger/3034124). Would there be any concerns with attaching this joist hangar to the thin end (1.5 inches) of a stud? Every application I see attaches joist hangars to a ledgerboard.

I think these would put too much bending load on those studs, it should be pretty easy to nail up a 2x8 ledger board to match your joists, keep everything nice and rigid.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Motronic posted:

I'd have some serious concerns about that being sufficient - even if the hanger is sufficient a 2x4 on the wall of a shed is.......suspect for a shelf/loft you think you need a 2x8 for.

Sounds like you should put a cripple under each end of this 14 foot 2x8 at a minimum. Mid span would depend on the load.

The only reason I thought about using a 2x8 is because the joist hangar I looked at fits either a 2x6 or a 2x8, and so for a few dollars more I decided to use a 2x8.

I do not expect to have more than 300lbs of stuff up on the loft.

Based on your post this is what I plan on doing (this is a top down view):
https://imgur.com/a/rqsEGhS

Does this look reasonable?

Elviscat posted:

I think these would put too much bending load on those studs, it should be pretty easy to nail up a 2x8 ledger board to match your joists, keep everything nice and rigid.

Given my building skills I think the cripple stud solution sounds more doable, but I will keep this idea in mind.

Jose Cuervo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 30, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jose Cuervo posted:

The only reason I thought about using a 2x8 is because the joist hangar I looked at fits either a 2x6 or a 2x8, and so for a few dollars more I decided to use a 2x8.

I do not expect to have more than 300lbs of stuff up on the loft.

Given my building skills I think the cripple stud solution sounds more doable, but I will keep this idea in mind.

Yeah, that seems a lot more reasonable, 300 lbs should be fine and you can and should use less than 2x8. You're DOWNGRADING your carrying capacity by adding the weight of 2x8s.

If you intend to put decent plywood up there and screw it down well in the field you could probably go 2x4 the entire way around. You should definitely be 2x4 only for the everything other than the front span. Maybe sister a couple of 2x4s for that span if you want to be extra careful.

300 lbs isn't a lot. It's nearly what the shelf you're putting up is gonna weigh. The stability of the back wall of your shed and what the cripple rests on (as presented here) matter more than "wider wood better."

If you have the free space consider a brace on a 45 under the shelf in one or more places around mid span. If that's not reasonable I still wouldn't worry about it. If you need more carrying capacity and are having too much deflection in the center run a 2x4 above across the shelf and tie the shelf in.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 30, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

regulargonzalez posted:

What do I do for a moulding on this corner?
https://i.imgur.com/1Jf8E9y.jpg
I'd estimate the angle at 30°.
I honestly can't come up with something that's not a little half assed. In that spirit, maybe some caulk strips like this? - https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Bathtub-Bathroom-Kitchen-11/dp/B07883NHTC

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Ive seen the green fiba tape for green board, which makes sense to not have paper where it's exposed to water, but is there special mud for use with mold resistant drywall?

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that seems a lot more reasonable, 300 lbs should be fine and you can and should use less than 2x8. You're DOWNGRADING your carrying capacity by adding the weight of 2x8s.

If you intend to put decent plywood up there and screw it down well in the field you could probably go 2x4 the entire way around. You should definitely be 2x4 only for the everything other than the front span. Maybe sister a couple of 2x4s for that span if you want to be extra careful.

300 lbs isn't a lot. It's nearly what the shelf you're putting up is gonna weigh. The stability of the back wall of your shed and what the cripple rests on (as presented here) matter more than "wider wood better."

If you have the free space consider a brace on a 45 under the shelf in one or more places around mid span. If that's not reasonable I still wouldn't worry about it. If you need more carrying capacity and are having too much deflection in the center run a 2x4 above across the shelf and tie the shelf in.

Got it, thanks. Definitely did not consider that using a 2x8 would downgrade carrying capacity.

The cripple will be snug up against a stud and go down to the bottom plate (i.e., it rests on the bottom plate).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jose Cuervo posted:

The cripple will be snug up against a stud and go down to the bottom plate (i.e., it rests on the bottom plate).

Perfect. I'm not about to assume based on very little information.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Jose Cuervo posted:

Someone else might be able to tell you with more certainty, but shouldn’t those be nails not screws into the back studs? Nails have more shear strength which I think is what matters here.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

QQ - I have big stacks of acrylic that I print on for framed artwork, but they are stacked on the floor or on shelves that sag in the middle from the weight, and I've noticed some of the acrylic bending from this. What can I buy to act as a metal rectangle base that I can put the acrylic in to guarantee a perfectly level base? Something like a small metal sheet thats bent up on all 4 sides so it cant ever sag? I need a bunch of them (like 10 or so) but I'm not sure what I could buy. The acrylic is around 8.5x11 inches..

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

FateFree posted:

QQ - I have big stacks of acrylic that I print on for framed artwork, but they are stacked on the floor or on shelves that sag in the middle from the weight, and I've noticed some of the acrylic bending from this. What can I buy to act as a metal rectangle base that I can put the acrylic in to guarantee a perfectly level base? Something like a small metal sheet thats bent up on all 4 sides so it cant ever sag? I need a bunch of them (like 10 or so) but I'm not sure what I could buy. The acrylic is around 8.5x11 inches..

Is there a reason you can't store them upright (on their sides)? If they are actually 8.5x11 I'm sure you can find all kinds of boxes for holding files that will fit them.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 30, 2020

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I assumed that would be even worse for some reason. Is that the correct way I should be storing these? I'm gonna need a ton of space since I have fairly large stacks of these things.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gf just called, water heater is leaking out of the drain valve on the bottom of it. Guess it needs to be replaced? I dont know anything about them except they are expected to have about a 5 year lifespan around here, and we've been in the house 3 years and I dunno how old the thing is so. My dad is out in the boat fishing so I cant get a hold of him for a while.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 30, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

codo27 posted:

Gf just called, water heater is leaking out of the drain valve on the bottom of it. Guess it needs to be replaced? I dont know anything about them except they are expected to have about a 5 year lifespan around here, and we've been in the house 3 years and I dunno how old the thing is so. My dad is out in the boat fishing so I cant get a hold of him for a while.

Yes probably. Kill the heat source, kill the input water, hook up a hose to it out the door, open the drain, open a tap set to 100% hot or flip the pressure relief valve open.

If it's outside or in a place you generally are OK with flooding just kill the input water and heat source.

Call a plumber from there if you are not interested in DIY. Figure out why water heaters have a 5 year life near you, you probably need a water softener.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its cause our water is poo poo, it looks like iced tea. They cant handle it for any longer. Based on what I'm reading and what she's told me (I'm at work), it sounds like we may not need to replace the whole thing and only the washer around the drain. I hope anyway, dont need this right before Christmas.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

OSU_Matthew posted:

The iron piping is likely either gas or old galvanized water supply lines. I would first try feeling the pipe and see if it’s cold. Open a nearby tap and see if it changes temperature or if you can feel water hammer by rapidly opening and closing the tap. If that’s inconclusive, you could take a razor blade and try scraping some paint off and see if the pipes are silver or black, that’d possibly give you some indication (though I’ve got old galvanized gas supply lines from before there was electricity in my place, so may not be helpful depending on when your house was built).

If you want a final answer, you could try opening it. Turn off the main water shutoff and drain the line by opening a faucet from the lowest point in the house. I would also shut off your main gas supply with a non sparking tool first. Once you’ve done both of those, see if you can unscrew that cap. If it’s clean and dry and you smell sulphur, probably gas. If there’s a buncha rust constricting the opening and some dribbles, it’s water. I should also say this could potentially be very dangerous, so you know, if you don’t feel 100% comfortable get a professional out. I would open it but I also do a bunch of stupid stuff I probably shouldn’t do and you probably shouldn’t listen to me. I don’t want you to live up to your username by listening to me.

The "U" and the capped off stub appear to be 3/4" and 1/2" cpvc, respectively. The house isn't that old (2003) and just one owner before us who I don't think did a lot to the house so it strikes me as something that was plumbed like this when the house was built for some potential future use. We have pretty hard water here so that's why I thought maybe it was done as a water softener installation spot

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

FateFree posted:

I assumed that would be even worse for some reason. Is that the correct way I should be storing these? I'm gonna need a ton of space since I have fairly large stacks of these things.

Baking sheet?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Wallet posted:

Is there a reason you can't store them upright (on their sides)? If they are actually 8.5x11 I'm sure you can find all kinds of boxes for holding files that will fit them.

Well I googled it earlier, and the company Acrylite recommends on their sides like you said. I feel dumb for stacking them for so many weeks, I never really thought about it - but I'm guessing on their sides there just won't be so much weight. Hopefully I didn't bend too many of them!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Final Blog Entry posted:

The "U" and the capped off stub appear to be 3/4" and 1/2" cpvc, respectively. The house isn't that old (2003) and just one owner before us who I don't think did a lot to the house so it strikes me as something that was plumbed like this when the house was built for some potential future use. We have pretty hard water here so that's why I thought maybe it was done as a water softener installation spot

Pretty sure those loops are commonly installed for exactly that purpose, so I'd vote for your conclusion.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

At work we have a 4-compartment underbar sink and the drain pipes/slip joints get bumped frequently. (Picture: https://imgur.com/a/wqoVac1.) It feels like there's a better way to run drainage pipes so I've tried to read through plumbing code, find installation instructions or example installs for a "correct way," but can't find anything specific enough to give me confidence.

Does anyone know what the appropriate thing would be to do here? If nothing else, I'd like to raise the horizontal run to the orange line in the picture, shortening those four vertical pipes, but then I wonder if there's a reason it was installed the way I'm seeing now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

handle posted:

At work we have a 4-compartment underbar sink and the drain pipes/slip joints get bumped frequently. (Picture: https://imgur.com/a/wqoVac1.) It feels like there's a better way to run drainage pipes so I've tried to read through plumbing code, find installation instructions or example installs for a "correct way," but can't find anything specific enough to give me confidence.

Does anyone know what the appropriate thing would be to do here? If nothing else, I'd like to raise the horizontal run to the orange line in the picture, shortening those four vertical pipes, but then I wonder if there's a reason it was installed the way I'm seeing now.

I'd guess the horizontal run is as far down as it is because that's the level it's at at the wall and the plumber didn't want to put a pair of 90's at the end of the run.

As for protecting the run...can you just put some drywall or plywood in front of the pipes? Ideally you'd build a cabinet around all that with doors so you can still access it when necessary.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, sorry! The picture's misleading. The compartments actually empty into a floor drain, visible just behind the bucket. There's a 90deg bend at the end of that horizontal run that has a short vertical pipe as part of the air gap.

A plywood barrier is a good idea, thanks! Things get shuffled around a lot right now so I'll have to see what's getting stored under there and get a real carpenter to put a cabinet in eventually.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ahh, I misread the photo. Well, I'm not a plumber, but I don't see why you couldn't raise the run up to where you drew that line. As far as I can tell about the only difference it'd make is if something got jammed you'd have less water pressure to flush it out with.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

FateFree posted:

Well I googled it earlier, and the company Acrylite recommends on their sides like you said. I feel dumb for stacking them for so many weeks, I never really thought about it - but I'm guessing on their sides there just won't be so much weight. Hopefully I didn't bend too many of them!

As long as you don't stack them multiple rows high without a shelf or something in between them (don't do this) it will just be the weight of the sheet itself on it. With bigger sheets of acrylic they can bow themselves if you don't have them well supported from both sides, but with ~8.5x11 you shouldn't be anywhere near needing to worry about that.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ahh, I misread the photo. Well, I'm not a plumber, but I don't see why you couldn't raise the run up to where you drew that line. As far as I can tell about the only difference it'd make is if something got jammed you'd have less water pressure to flush it out with.

I wanna say screw those slip joints too. Get some ABS fittings and cement and build a new run much higher up out of the way that’s not going to get jostled and isn’t going to fall apart or leak if it does.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FateFree posted:

Upright is how they store them at every warehouse I've seen that stores large plastic sheets.

e: Oh I guess they're not even large? Just get a shelf that doesn't sag.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

yippee cahier posted:

I wanna say screw those slip joints too. Get some ABS fittings and cement and build a new run much higher up out of the way that’s not going to get jostled and isn’t going to fall apart or leak if it does.
I would also love this, but we get straws clogging the pipe occasionally (when the drain filter goes wandering.) Is there a good way to do this and keep the pipes possible to directly clean out? It's harder for a straw to disappear with less of a vertical drop, but it'll happen somehow.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Elviscat posted:

We're waiting to hear back from the landlord, municipality's DoH says Landlord's responsible to fix, we'll see how it goes.

Wish she could stay here, but it's like 2 hours from her job, and my house is mostly gutted right now, and her kitties would have to stay with my mom. It's an option though, and I told her to do it if she wants.

She snapped some pictures, this is her bedroom window which is about a foot above grade, looks like moisture penetration, I'm concerned it's also leaching into the wall.

Outside

Inside

We've both been exposed, so there's a fleeting chance we were just asymptomatic, I really doubt it though, I'm in my 30's, smoke, and am asthmatic, I don't think I'd be that lucky.

I'm a landlord-side attorney but can't give you legal advice, in part because the laws about this sort of thing are different in each state and I'm only licensed to practice law in a different state than yours. That means I don't actually know what the laws are in your specific state. Your state's Attorney General's Office likely has a great tenant information webpage about your rights and your landlords obligations in these types of situations. Do some digging for that. This qualifies as a FAQ regardless of where you live.

Three things I think might be universal here:

1. The landlord always has an obligation to provide a living environment that's habitable. Mold and pests are the two most common reasons that apartments are deemed uninhabitable in my area (probably everywhere?).

2. Notify the landlord of the problem IN WRITING and request a fix. In many states, the day that you provide this written notice starts the landlord's clock on when the repairs need to be made (two weeks in Minnesota). A text or a phone call isn't good enough from a legal perspective. Obviously you can be a normal person and call or text with your landlord about things, but consider writing a short two- or three-sentence letter as well to to document the date you first brought it to their attention. When this happened to me once, I wrote the letter, mailed it out, then called my landlord and just said "Hey, I wrote you a short letter about some [mold] issues I'm having in my apartment, but wanted to give you a call as well. Could you please come out and take a look?" This should be enough to get the ball rolling most of the time.

3. If you aren't getting cooperation from your landlord, consider calling the housing/building inspectors' department in your city and requesting an inspection. In my area this costs the tenant nothing, and creates a real headache for the landlord. The inspector will come inspect the property, issue a corrective notice or similar document that lists any housing or building code deficiencies in your unit and provides a reinspection deadline by which your landlord will have to make all of the fixes (usually 30 days out in Minnesota). 9 times out of 10 the inspector will find a bunch of other things unrelated to the mold that the landlord will have to fix as well, so it's a huge pain in the rear end for them and not a good way to make friends. This might be your nuclear option in case you're not able to get anywhere through diplomacy.

If none of this gets you anywhere, it's time to contact an attorney about the possibility of withholding your rent.

Good luck!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm trying to install a wired video doorbell system. I've found the chime/siren for the defunct security system, but I can't find the transformer. I do have one of these in the garage, is this basically the transformer? The previous house owners didn't really explain what that was. It appears to be a security system panel, but I don't have a security system as far as I know.

When I go to the door, there are some wires sticking out.

So, my issues are. I can't find the doorbell chime (save for the siren), and I have these weird colored lights. Should I just get a wireless version so I don't have to mess with all these wires?

My understanding is I can just ignore the green and yellow wires and use the black and red, but when I connect them, nothing happens. Presumably because I haven't been able to jump the two cables in the chime, which I can't find.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 1, 2020

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Cross-post from plumbing thread

We got a new washer/dryer, but the washer is sticking quite a bit further from the wall than I had anticipated due to the steel water lines, which are both straight ended. I see that they make lines with an elbow on one end, but that would still have the water line sticking out from the water supply box pretty far, and I don't think would give us much more space.

Would it be dumb to put an elbow adapter coming off the supplies to angle them down against the wall, then use the elbow end of an elbow hose to attach to the washer? Due to the hose the washer is about 4" from the wall, and the installation manual says it only needs 2".

2" isn't a lot, but it is in the pantry the washer/dryer are in

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Cross-post from plumbing thread

We got a new washer/dryer, but the washer is sticking quite a bit further from the wall than I had anticipated due to the steel water lines, which are both straight ended. I see that they make lines with an elbow on one end, but that would still have the water line sticking out from the water supply box pretty far, and I don't think would give us much more space.

Would it be dumb to put an elbow adapter coming off the supplies to angle them down against the wall, then use the elbow end of an elbow hose to attach to the washer? Due to the hose the washer is about 4" from the wall, and the installation manual says it only needs 2".

2" isn't a lot, but it is in the pantry the washer/dryer are in

Can you take pictures of the setup?

Blakkout posted:

I'm a landlord-side attorney but can't give you legal advice, in part because the laws about this sort of thing are different in each state and I'm only licensed to practice law in a different state than yours. That means I don't actually know what the laws are in your specific state. Your state's Attorney General's Office likely has a great tenant information webpage about your rights and your landlords obligations in these types of situations. Do some digging for that. This qualifies as a FAQ regardless of where you live.

Three things I think might be universal here:

1. The landlord always has an obligation to provide a living environment that's habitable. Mold and pests are the two most common reasons that apartments are deemed uninhabitable in my area (probably everywhere?).

2. Notify the landlord of the problem IN WRITING and request a fix. In many states, the day that you provide this written notice starts the landlord's clock on when the repairs need to be made (two weeks in Minnesota). A text or a phone call isn't good enough from a legal perspective. Obviously you can be a normal person and call or text with your landlord about things, but consider writing a short two- or three-sentence letter as well to to document the date you first brought it to their attention. When this happened to me once, I wrote the letter, mailed it out, then called my landlord and just said "Hey, I wrote you a short letter about some [mold] issues I'm having in my apartment, but wanted to give you a call as well. Could you please come out and take a look?" This should be enough to get the ball rolling most of the time.

3. If you aren't getting cooperation from your landlord, consider calling the housing/building inspectors' department in your city and requesting an inspection. In my area this costs the tenant nothing, and creates a real headache for the landlord. The inspector will come inspect the property, issue a corrective notice or similar document that lists any housing or building code deficiencies in your unit and provides a reinspection deadline by which your landlord will have to make all of the fixes (usually 30 days out in Minnesota). 9 times out of 10 the inspector will find a bunch of other things unrelated to the mold that the landlord will have to fix as well, so it's a huge pain in the rear end for them and not a good way to make friends. This might be your nuclear option in case you're not able to get anywhere through diplomacy.

If none of this gets you anywhere, it's time to contact an attorney about the possibility of withholding your rent.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
nvm

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 2, 2020

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
A year or so ago my roofers hosed up my gutters and I'm preparing to fix them, because the gutters themselves are pretty nice metal ones.

<-- closeup of one of the stripped screws
<-- What happens now because of the bent.

Basically they just leaned on 'em pretty hard while redoing the roof and now there's a big bow in the middle that pours out and the screws are stripped out pretty hard. I went through a few months ago and tried just tightening it and it didn't work well.

So the new plan is basically one of two things after removing the gutter and trying to bend it back into the original shape, either:

1. Try bigger screws if they'll fit in the mounting brackets for the gutter supports or
2. Go nuclear option: drill out the stripped holes, glue in some dowels, and come back later with the original or same size screws.

Is there a better option I'm ignoring here?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Can you take pictures of the setup?

You can see the water coming off the supply on the top, and going into the washer on the bottom. It's a compact stackable set, so there's a lot going on back there, but I think the main limiter to moving the machine back is the supply line.

I haven't done anything yet, but I did pick up two of these hoses, along with these elbows:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-4-ft-L-3-4-in-FHT-Inlet-x-3-4-in-Outlet-Braided-Stainless-Steel-Washing-Machine-Fill-Hose/1000096748
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-2-Pack-200-PSI-Brass-Washing-machine-connector/1002103270

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

A year or so ago my roofers hosed up my gutters and I'm preparing to fix them, because the gutters themselves are pretty nice metal ones.

Basically they just leaned on 'em pretty hard while redoing the roof and now there's a big bow in the middle that pours out and the screws are stripped out pretty hard. I went through a few months ago and tried just tightening it and it didn't work well.

So the new plan is basically one of two things after removing the gutter and trying to bend it back into the original shape, either:

1. Try bigger screws if they'll fit in the mounting brackets for the gutter supports or
2. Go nuclear option: drill out the stripped holes, glue in some dowels, and come back later with the original or same size screws.

Can you get a picture from the topside? There are gutter hangers that go inside your gutter that should work to hold it up properly but it would depend on what sort of lip you have I suppose.

I'll admit the slight bit of space between the gutter and your roof at the bottom doesn't really make sense to me as to why the water is pissing over the top that much unless the slope got hosed up and/or there is a blockage in the downspout or gutter run.

edit: quoted

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Falcon2001 posted:

If your concern is that the screw won't hold where it is anymore because the wood has too large of a hole in it, by far the easiest way to fix that is toothpicks and wood glue. When you say they stripped the screws that would normally make the think the screw head is damaged, but it sounds like you're talking about the wood.

Basically pour some wood glue on a scrap of cardboard, roll a toothpick in it, jam it in the hole. Repeat until the hole is plugged, let dry, then cut flush with a box cutter or whatever. Easier than drilling it out and using a dowel, but just as effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

armorer posted:

If your concern is that the screw won't hold where it is anymore because the wood has too large of a hole in it, by far the easiest way to fix that is toothpicks and wood glue. When you say they stripped the screws that would normally make the think the screw head is damaged, but it sounds like you're talking about the wood.

Basically pour some wood glue on a scrap of cardboard, roll a toothpick in it, jam it in the hole. Repeat until the hole is plugged, let dry, then cut flush with a box cutter or whatever. Easier than drilling it out and using a dowel, but just as effective.

Yeah, I said it wrong, just spaced out. The screws seem alright and the holes are wrecked. Toothpicks are a good idea.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Can you get a picture from the topside? There are gutter hangers that go inside your gutter that should work to hold it up properly but it would depend on what sort of lip you have I suppose.

I'll admit the slight bit of space between the gutter and your roof at the bottom doesn't really make sense to me as to why the water is pissing over the top that much unless the slope got hosed up and/or there is a blockage in the downspout or gutter run.

edit: quoted

I think the slope got hosed up somehow but it's a good reminder to doublecheck my downspout, but I think it is just the middle of the gutter being bent out of shape; I can see over the edge from the walkway nearby so I can doublecheck it but I think last time I looked while it was raining it was bent enough over the length that the standing water level was lower than the downspout entry.