Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

L0cke17 posted:

I’ve been trying to learn a new option for takedowns at home practicing with my wife, and I’ve been messing around with imanari rolls because they looked fun. My problem comes that nearly every instructional video I can find about them only shows the transition from roll -> heel hook and as a blue belt that’s not something I can do when I’m back at the gym.

Anyone have a favorite backtake or mount transition from that heel hook position I can work on?

I think the Imanari roll actually takes serious wrestling chops to use effectively since it's essentially an upside-down shot that transitions into a scissors takedown. My advice would be to try and develop more fundamental takedowns first like shots and snapdowns into front headlock stuff. As far as individual techniques to maybe check out, as a little guy who will never have a lifelong wrestler's explosiveness and who is also very afraid of getting guillotined I've always been partial to the sweep single.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of ankle locks and my growing frustration with getting myself stuck in a self inflicted 5050 guard. How viable is an ankle lock? And if its possible, which leg am I meant to attack?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Speaking of ankle locks and my growing frustration with getting myself stuck in a self inflicted 5050 guard. How viable is an ankle lock? And if its possible, which leg am I meant to attack?

The best and most painful ankle locks involve putting the inside of your opponent's foot on your ribs to create an outward shearing force. In 50-50 that will be the outside foot.

The danger of going for an ankle lock in 50-50 is that it's 50-50, so you're equally vulnerable.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

The best and most painful ankle locks involve putting the inside of your opponent's foot on your ribs to create an outward shearing force.

Craig Jones goes over this in one of his instructionals. Also prevents them from "putting on the boot".

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mekchu posted:

You shouldn't ankle lock in the 50/50, because you can't control the hip of the straight leg (the non-50/50 leg). 50/50 is more about control and the heel hook than ankle locks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drewjitsu posted:

You shouldn't ankle lock in the 50/50, because you can't control the hip of the straight leg (the non-50/50 leg). 50/50 is more about control and the heel hook than ankle locks.

Please remind my dumbass of that when I go for a 50/50 instinctively during sparring on Thursday then. Because I keep ending up in the position and struggle to get out effectively to maintain a dominant position so we both sorta go "reset? yeah reset" and leave it like gentlegoons.

This has been less an issue but I'm still trying to do things with 50/50 as I find myself there sometimes after a botched SLX or X etc.

And sadly our coach, for all his positives, has never broached 50/50 in the 2 years I've been at the gym. Not to mention other areas that may be worth working on rather than the 15th time that year of doing knee slices but I also am salty cuz my knee slices suck.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 25, 2020

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If you can get the in-danger foot flat onto the floor (like, place it down next to their hip) you can come up onto that foot and pass. It’s some kind of backstep or longstep, I forget the exact details, they’re on Ryan Hall’s recent 50/50 set.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3vabrRi9s

Just watched this and it's fun. I enjoy Vlad's accent too, with the New York vowels and cadences flying through the Russian consonants occasionally

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3vabrRi9s

Just watched this and it's fun. I enjoy Vlad's accent too, with the New York vowels and cadences flying through the Russian consonants occasionally

Russian accent mixed with NYC accent is super weird and also amazing.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2022

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If you can get the in-danger foot flat onto the floor (like, place it down next to their hip) you can come up onto that foot and pass. It’s some kind of backstep or longstep, I forget the exact details, they’re on Ryan Hall’s recent 50/50 set.

Option 1, foot near hip, switch your leg over then come up to a leg drag

Option 2, foot near shoulder, switch base, then spin out and take the back

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 25, 2020

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I've managed to get in one roll since March and went for that second Ryan Hall move two or three times and gave up my back each time. I'm sure it can be made to work with drilling, but it's a tricky one. 

I'm not crazy about the first move either because I normally don't think of that position with the leg all the way through as a proper leg drag so much as halfway between a leg drag and outside ashi. From the bottom I've had pretty good success grabbing the trapped leg from the outside and putting both of my feet on the hip, then doing a leg press to force their leg straight. You can pass from that position for sure but I'd consider it more neutral than advantageous. To be fair Hall's series is more from an mma perspective than sub grappling really so there's the built in advantage for top position.

So for now I'm thinking I wont worry about 50/50 escapes and will just fight to the death for the heel hook from there every time. Hypothetically I mean.

Decades fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 25, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Option 3 twist into knee on belly with the leg trapped and guillotine them while doing a knee on belly ride

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
The other main thing I'm thinking about based on that roll is the interplay of the outside hook / coyote guard style roll through sweep vs the person on top looking to backstep and attack the leg. It may just come down to the person on bottom needing to control the far leg, but I did goof it up once or twice, so I'm thinking about how to be more effective.

Also, I've been watching a lot of pro wrestling since lockdown and have been thinking about shoot applications for Kazuchika Okada's money clip, which is a kind of reverse cobra clutch / million dollar dream with the inside wrist pinned to the back of the head instead of in a giftwrap. First I was thinking there's a pretty good opportunity to grab it off the "answering the phone" arm triangle defense, but really it could potentially be set up from lots of different americana type situations where the arm is pinned to the outside. It seems to legitimately threaten the shoulder and the choke simultaneously, though I'm not quite sure of the best way to finish it. Maybe something like a bow and arrow.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Decades posted:

The other main thing I'm thinking about based on that roll is the interplay of the outside hook / coyote guard style roll through sweep vs the person on top looking to backstep and attack the leg. It may just come down to the person on bottom needing to control the far leg, but I did goof it up once or twice, so I'm thinking about how to be more effective.

Also, I've been watching a lot of pro wrestling since lockdown and have been thinking about shoot applications for Kazuchika Okada's money clip, which is a kind of reverse cobra clutch / million dollar dream with the inside wrist pinned to the back of the head instead of in a giftwrap. First I was thinking there's a pretty good opportunity to grab it off the "answering the phone" arm triangle defense, but really it could potentially be set up from lots of different americana type situations where the arm is pinned to the outside. It seems to legitimately threaten the shoulder and the choke simultaneously, though I'm not quite sure of the best way to finish it. Maybe something like a bow and arrow.

There is an americana/armlock finish from arm triangle or scarf, you use your head to block the elbow while you pull the wrist for the tap.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHyHcEtWPTc&t=165s

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 25, 2020

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm mulling over an interesting situation.

Friend of a friend, he's extremely non-assertive and extremely non-confrontational, so much so that it negatively impacts his life. His therapist has suggested that he try a martial art. He sounds pretty psyched to try it, and it sounds like he'd already settled on BJJ before he asked me about it. He's a medical doctor by day and has a pretty packed schedule and doesn't think he can fit more than one class per week. Do you guys think one class per week is enough to begin with? He lives a couple of hours away, too far to train with me regularly. He's the kind of guy who has never really watched fights before (but has suddenly become interested).

My thoughts were that if the goal is to gain self-confidence, and he can only train a really small amount of time, he might flounder at a low skill level for so long that it doesn't actually help his confidence much. On the flipside, I imagine that most gyms would be thrilled to have a medical doctor on the mat. I know that even though I still find verbal confrontations awkward I definitely have a level of confidence that stems from being able to wreck people. On the rare occasions that I've been confronted like that I've still been awkward as gently caress during the verbal confrontation, until it escalated to physical, and then as soon as I've been grabbed or whatever I've suddenly become relaxed and clearheaded.

I'm guessing that I just have to help him find a gym that he really really vibes with. And that he should get privates every once in awhile, and maybe I should help him establish some goals and make sure he understands that people are going to overtake him and stuff. He seems to be in "lots of questions about self defense" mode so maybe I can come up with a little curriculum or some goals with regards to that. Stopping punches from closed guard and all that.

I don't really have any question to ask, I'm just unloading. Maybe it'll unlock a savage streak inside him. I've definitely seen that happen, usually with timid young women.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
aye

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm mulling over an interesting situation.

Friend of a friend, he's extremely non-assertive and extremely non-confrontational, so much so that it negatively impacts his life. His therapist has suggested that he try a martial art. He sounds pretty psyched to try it, and it sounds like he'd already settled on BJJ before he asked me about it. He's a medical doctor by day and has a pretty packed schedule and doesn't think he can fit more than one class per week. Do you guys think one class per week is enough to begin with? He lives a couple of hours away, too far to train with me regularly. He's the kind of guy who has never really watched fights before (but has suddenly become interested).

My thoughts were that if the goal is to gain self-confidence, and he can only train a really small amount of time, he might flounder at a low skill level for so long that it doesn't actually help his confidence much. On the flipside, I imagine that most gyms would be thrilled to have a medical doctor on the mat. I know that even though I still find verbal confrontations awkward I definitely have a level of confidence that stems from being able to wreck people. On the rare occasions that I've been confronted like that I've still been awkward as gently caress during the verbal confrontation, until it escalated to physical, and then as soon as I've been grabbed or whatever I've suddenly become relaxed and clearheaded.

I'm guessing that I just have to help him find a gym that he really really vibes with. And that he should get privates every once in awhile, and maybe I should help him establish some goals and make sure he understands that people are going to overtake him and stuff. He seems to be in "lots of questions about self defense" mode so maybe I can come up with a little curriculum or some goals with regards to that. Stopping punches from closed guard and all that.

I don't really have any question to ask, I'm just unloading. Maybe it'll unlock a savage streak inside him. I've definitely seen that happen, usually with timid young women.

If he has grappling in his soul he'll find time to train more than once per week once he finds it.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Agree with the above, and also I'm a big advocate of instructional videos and books. I think there's a massive difference between studying a little grappling every day in some form while only making it to the mats once a week vs literally only thinking about grappling once a week. If he can summon his inner med student a little bit he can make it work. If not he should certainly temper his expectations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

1 class is better than none.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Him trying it is the only thing. Once a week is fine. If he takes to it he can figure something out.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Had my fifth session ever of BJJ today, nearly 8 months removed from the fourth one. Had a lot of fun rolling and trying to defend against stuff. Still had the absolute poo poo beat outta me. :D

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

whats for dinner posted:

Had my fifth session ever of BJJ today, nearly 8 months removed from the fourth one. Had a lot of fun rolling and trying to defend against stuff. Still had the absolute poo poo beat outta me. :D

Jealous

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

I am treating each session like mana from heaven because all it takes is one slip-up in quarantine and Melbourne goes right back to lockdown.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Been almost a year since my last BJJ session, miss it so much...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Melbourne has some really good gyms. Absolute at St Kilda is the best competition gym in the country.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Been almost a year since my last BJJ session, miss it so much...

My last proper one was in March. March 16, in fact. In September, when we had zero district cases, or so we did a few sessions among people who have low contacts and typically good pandemic fundamentals, where we rolled light and with masks.

When you get back to it you'll be worried that you lost a step, but it'll come back pretty quickly

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Recent spike has meant that our gym has closed for the week. Korea is moving slower with the response to this spike compared to the one in March too which is potentially going to be a big problem.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2022

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Mine was in July 2019 before I got a concussion. :( I want to roll with Nathan Orchard and his gym os pretty close to me. We seem like the same body type so I could learn a lot from him.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Mine was March 5th. It was the last day of a week in Panama just training 3x daily and relaxing with classmates and 7 old man black belts from Brazil that were hilarious and scary on the mat. That following week IL went into lockdown.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My school made new patches in feb that I never got to put on my gi so put on a jacket instead since god only knows the next time I’ll get to roll again.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

butros posted:

My school made new patches in feb that I never got to put on my gi so put on a jacket instead since god only knows the next time I’ll get to roll again.

I have so many questions about that logo but its 80s metal as gently caress and I love it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Is your school the 1982 Judas Priest album Screaming for Vengeance or what?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mekchu posted:

I have so many questions about that logo but its 80s metal as gently caress and I love it.

it’s this

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Is your school the 1982 Judas Priest album Screaming for Vengeance or what?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Double post because I’m feeling nostalgic. One of the first guys to train when my instructor (Birdman) opened his school is a graffiti artist who did some really sick art for the school over the years (he did the Judas Priest Homage logo).

Walls on the “new” space (now closed)

Misc patch for some gis

Got this on a rashguard

This is an actual painting of Birdman, it’s massive like 3’x4’ or so

A poster version I have framed up on my wall

Birdman and Jamie Cruz

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
That dojo rules. The art is really cool.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wanna say I've done something similar in concept to this from half guard but am probably just imagining it because I'm actually bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7vQZy68sKw

Also a DVD on Xguard called "Xguard, Gon' Give It To Ya" or whatever is like...the best thing ever?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

THAT is badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Level 2 restrictions extended to December 28th here. Our gym has closed off the 930pm class due to that so everyone is just piling into the 630p & 8p classes. :rip: