Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

eke out posted:

Sja-Anat calls the Sibling her "cousin", though, this just seems to be how the high-level sapient demigodspren talk about each other. I think BAM and other Unmade were demigodspren of big, important ideas and concepts, much like how pre-Honor the Stormfather was still a big, important spren because societies around the world all personified the force of the highstorm in their thoughts. And, I suspect, exactly what they represented and how people thought of them before being Unmade is what determined whether they were sapient or more animalistic.

What BAM's role was is more tricky, since we know so little about her and her portfolio, but Sja-Anat seems to be themed around mirrors and secrets, and could've had some portfolio related to that where the way humans and singers thought of her resulted in her being fully sapient.

Similarly, the Thrill was likely the spren of Battle or Conflict or something along those lines, in a relatively neutral way, that then was perverted into destructive battle rage. Ditto Ashertmarn, the "Heart of the Revel" was probably related to positive emotions and celebrations before.

This is the theory I had on the 17th shard discord. I 100% think it's correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Just finished the last few chapters of ROW, and now some speculation:

*Since Taravodium is trying to find a way to beat Dalinar despite the limitations of the contract, my home run swing is that he's going to manipulate Dalinar into reuniting Honor and taking up the Shard, which Dalinar thinks will be necessary to put unchained magic back in the box, but will also inherit Dalinar to the oaths that bound Honor... so suddenly he can't fight Odium in the contest of champions without breaking a different, previous pact against the Shards directly harming mortals or each other. Masterstroke, Dalinar either wins and breaks the oath chaining Odium to Roshar, or loses and Honor has to go forth and conquer on behalf of Odium.

Making the good guys win at that point could be Wit circling back to the story about ties being a loophole, but in Dalinar's favor instead of Odium. Or it could actually be a noble sacrifice on the part of someone else (Szeth and Kaladin are both on that arc, especially if those are the three that travel to Shinovar) that volunteers as Honor's champion and wins against all odds anyway.

*I would very much like to see Navani hold both Honor and Cultivation, becoming the Science shard, even though that would probably mean Dalinar dies after reuniting Honor.

And thoughts on ROW:
-Venli's flashbacks really were bad. She was already a marginal character, all of those events were already clear from previous flashbacks and exposition, and if anything, it painted her as being even more cowardly and ineffective than we knew.

-Lirin was an absolute joke. The dude is not only unimpressed with his son's achievements, he looks down on him? And thinks that his son wanted to abandon his entire life as a world leader and the most celebrated human hero in millennia, to go run the family business? The ego on this fucker...

-Shallan going from weird, secret pseudo-disassociative identity disorder, to everyone who knows her explicitly knowing that she has several named alter egos was even weirder. Unlike in Oathbreaker, she didn't actually do anything important while juggling her multiple personas, she just argued with herself and Pattern, and actively avoided doing things. When she finally did something, it all happened in a single chapter, with a minor character, and ended up not mattering anyway to the plot. Her being a main POV character was a waste.

-Navani continually self-owning was pretty tiresome. She was trying to figure out how to help the Sibling, and did a decent job, but then she accidentally also did painstaking work to create WMDs as a side project.

+Navani continually inventing cool things was cool, in spite of the fact that she got tricked every time and helped Raboniel more than herself. I thought it was broadcast from a mile away when she learned to feel and sing the Rhythms that she was going to help the Sibling hear them again and reactivate, but it was good when it finally happened.

+Kaladin's lows were weirdly paced, but his highs were phenomenal. Die Hard-ing his way through hell and always rising to the occasion is what high fantasy is all about.

+Adolin was also perfect in every way. Every chapter from his POV was delightful to read and made him come alive as a character. Showing how he treated Maya and even his drat horse was fantastic.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 28, 2020

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
w/r/t the other radiants, Sanderson's been pretty up front with "I don't want to bloat the books with 10,000 characters where you can't keep track of them all" a la Wheel of Time (where you had like, half the Tower named).

Plus, edgedancers aren't combat troops; they're treated as field medics at the moment. They can fight but it's not their thing. Truthwatchers are pretty much in the same boat, for both of them that exist. The Stonewards aren't really mentioned much at all. I was also expecting the others to come charging in to help Adolin, but remember they were out of Light and couldn't summon Blades, so they'd be nigh-useless outside of intimidation by numbers.

Raboniel is definitely a one-book antagonist. She's dead and gone for good; even if she was wrong about the anti-voidlight not killing their respawn mechanism she's all but guaranteed to come back catatonic like the other lost fused. She was a pleasant surprise in her depth though, absolutely.

With the final book of this arc more or less set to cover the final 10 days/1 rosharan week it's looking to be an intense ride. It'll be interesting to see how he structures the book around that concept...in 3 years or so.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm going to drop my devestatingly nuclear-hot takes here:

• Moash is a loving dick and totally the worst
  • Lirin is a lovely dad
  • Adolin is the best
  • Raboniel was a fantastic antagonist. She had goals that opposed our heroes, but I never felt it was out of malice or cruelty.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've finally started reading ROW but I am taking it slower than most and will probably take a week to finish. At chapter 33 so far and one theory I current have about Shallan is that dead-eye cryptic we saw earlier, that was Shallans previous spren, she had another spren before Pattern and she betrayed her oaths and killed it, that's her secret. That's my fan theory on that little part.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

OAquinas posted:

w/r/t the other radiants, Sanderson's been pretty up front with "I don't want to bloat the books with 10,000 characters where you can't keep track of them all" a la Wheel of Time (where you had like, half the Tower named).

Plus, edgedancers aren't combat troops; they're treated as field medics at the moment. They can fight but it's not their thing. Truthwatchers are pretty much in the same boat, for both of them that exist. The Stonewards aren't really mentioned much at all. I was also expecting the others to come charging in to help Adolin, but remember they were out of Light and couldn't summon Blades, so they'd be nigh-useless outside of intimidation by numbers.

Raboniel is definitely a one-book antagonist. She's dead and gone for good; even if she was wrong about the anti-voidlight not killing their respawn mechanism she's all but guaranteed to come back catatonic like the other lost fused. She was a pleasant surprise in her depth though, absolutely.

With the final book of this arc more or less set to cover the final 10 days/1 rosharan week it's looking to be an intense ride. It'll be interesting to see how he structures the book around that concept...in 3 years or so.

All the Fused fight and only have one surge each. That is a pathetic excuse. Yea they didn't have Stormlight but seriously what was their purpose at all? Why even name them at all if he had no plans to do anything with them? It was just completely pointless all the pages spent on who would go in the mission and who was the spy.

My question mark about Raboniel was that I don't even think she was a villain not that she would come back.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.
RoW

What if the unmade are somehow splinters/parts of the Heralds (due to them breaking in torture) and the reason there is only nine known is because Taln never broke until recently?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jebrown84 posted:

RoW

What if the unmade are somehow splinters/parts of the Heralds (due to them breaking in torture) and the reason there is only nine known is because Taln never broke until recently?

was a very common theory pre-ROW, now seems less likely as we see a Fused attempting to Unmake a godspren and hear Sja-Anat call the Sibling her cousin. they were probably spren before this

also Odium's number is 9, he only grants 9 surges, etc etc

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

eke out posted:

was a very common theory pre-ROW, now seems less likely as we see a Fused attempting to Unmake a godspren and hear Sja-Anat call the Sibling her cousin. they were probably spren before this

they mention as well that Adhesion is the true surge of Honour, so it makes sense that Odium can’t grant that

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

HidaO-Win posted:

they mention as well that Adhesion is the true surge of Honour, so it makes sense that Odium can’t grant that

if I recall, at one point one of the voidspren/unmade (don’t recall which) state that they don’t consider it a real surge. Not that it isn’t, but it was a point made to show their biases.

It being solely of Honor and not Odium is why Kaladin could still use adhesion in the corrupted tower. And that the voidspren don’t consider it a real surge made Kaladin using it to literally tear the Pursuer’s head off all the more poetic

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am reading Well Of Ascension again, and I must have forgotten how bad Zane was. I knew he sucked, but it's so much worse than I remember. Then again I was in high school when I read it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RC Cola posted:

I am reading Well Of Ascension again, and I must have forgotten how bad Zane was. I knew he sucked, but it's so much worse than I remember. Then again I was in high school when I read it.

It's so weird because he really doesn't add much of anything to the book. He accomplishes next to nothing. He injects some artificial drama that amounts to nothing.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Mordiceius posted:

It's so weird because he really doesn't add much of anything to the book. He accomplishes next to nothing. He injects some artificial drama that amounts to nothing.

He lets Vin complete the hat-trick of mudering Elend's fiance, brother and father

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Subvisual Haze posted:

He lets Vin complete the hat-trick of mudering Elend's fiance, brother and father

Elend's line about Vin's amazing homicidal hat trick gets me every time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Wow, I do not like this "The Citizen" guy.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

eke out posted:

Yeah i just saw that Taln doesn't have adhesion so that nipped that

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Finished ROW this morning, holy poo poo. My thoughts

-I was right about shallan and that dead eye radiant! Woo!

-loving finally Kaladin, I wonder if it was really Tien. I think it was.

-gently caress youuuu Moash

-Nooo kelsier don't be a bad guy :(

-gently caress yeaaaah Nightblood!

-Get screwed Rayse!

-drat no, no no, Taravangian this is bad

-Hoid, god damnit drat I hope you got an off-site backup somewhere.

-You aren't as clever as you think Cultivation, you've probably made things worse.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

Eh, I kind of liked those. Plus it gave us how this whole poo poo-show kicked off, with Venli being involved and all

Hopefully though, less of that in the next book. I feel the next book needs to be more tightly edited.

EDIT:
Also on the whole Ghostblood issue
Goddamnit you assholes, why so antagonistic towards each all the time? Like fucks sake this seems like something that could be easily solved if people just sat down and talked to each other honestly for 5 minutes. You've insulted us, this means war? That's the talk and thinking style of an incompetent villain, Mraize. Feels like they could have gone about things in a far less antagonistic manner and probably gotten a lot more in return and faster to boot.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 30, 2020

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Sometimes I feel like fantasy reading is a young persons game. I've read every mainline Cosmere book, from the day I picked up Elantris on a whim back in the mid 00's, to Rhythm of War a couple weeks ago, and I'm just getting overwhelmed by the storyline. I've heard the books described as the literary equivalent of the MCU, but I think it's more accurate to say it's the book equivalent of a comic book universe, not the cinematic one. There's just so many plotlines and characters and systems and interactions, I get bogged down. I can enjoy the stories/books individually from one another, but reading the theories of putting it all together and keep it all in line - my teenage self would have no problem. My current 40 year old self is just tired.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Lucas Archer posted:

Sometimes I feel like fantasy reading is a young persons game. I've read every mainline Cosmere book, from the day I picked up Elantris on a whim back in the mid 00's, to Rhythm of War a couple weeks ago, and I'm just getting overwhelmed by the storyline. I've heard the books described as the literary equivalent of the MCU, but I think it's more accurate to say it's the book equivalent of a comic book universe, not the cinematic one. There's just so many plotlines and characters and systems and interactions, I get bogged down. I can enjoy the stories/books individually from one another, but reading the theories of putting it all together and keep it all in line - my teenage self would have no problem. My current 40 year old self is just tired.

The book series are self-contained within themselves in terms of plot threads, to keep it easy. The Cosmere-spanning stuff are mostly the Shards (which are still relatively static to their respective systems), Hoid (who does his usual thing; RoW is the most he's been active in a book yet), and any worldhoppers (who are usually background cameos/flavor at most).

We're only now seeing more active worldhopping that matters, with Nightblood as well as the Ghostbloods (who appear to be led by Kelsier).

Granted, keeping each world's magic systems straight can be a bit trivia-picky, I'll give you that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Finished ROW this morning, holy poo poo. My thoughts

-loving finally Kaladin, I wonder if it was really Tien. I think it was.

(ROW ending spoilers)
It 100% is Tien, at least as much as it can be.

Dalinar's able to interact with all 3 realms, so connecting Kaladin to the Spiritual Realm's remnant of Tien is fully within his power.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hero of Ages - Uhhhh why did Kelsier’s ghost appear in flames to talk to Spook? What the gently caress is going on?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Hero of Ages - Uhhhh why did Kelsier’s ghost appear in flames to talk to Spook? What the gently caress is going on?

Read and find out. You're in for a ride :)

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, that's a definite RAFO. Lololol.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

This one actually doesn't get explained within the trilogy... you'll want to pick up secret history when you are done with it mistborn though!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Avalerion posted:

This one actually doesn't get explained within the trilogy... you'll want to pick up secret history when you are done with it mistborn though!

*Done with Misborn era 2 book 6, not just the original era 1 trilogy. There is a reason Secret history didn't come out till years later.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

After he's done with Bands of Mourning, though. Dont want to spoil that reveal.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Read and find out. You're in for a ride :)

The leap in quality from Well of Ascension to Hero of Ages is insane. Also the stakes feel impossible in a way I’m excited for.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

The leap in quality from Well of Ascension to Hero of Ages is insane. Also the stakes feel impossible in a way I’m excited for.

Yup. Now you're getting the real taste of the scope of things.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I get what you mean here. There are plenty of novels that attempt an ‘end of the world’ setting. This one nails it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I get what you mean here. There are plenty of novels that attempt an ‘end of the world’ setting. This one nails it.

Yeah. The Lord Ruler being an immortal godking was a challenge but didn’t seem impossible. Nearly impossible, sure, but not impossible. “The world is ending” feels a lot more impossible.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Spoilers for Secret History:

I still hate the Kelsier's spirit arc. Brandon left "hints" in the original books but he clearly hadn't fully thought this stuff through, and it shows--it's a mess of "ok THIS mist ghost or vision or voice was Kelsier or Leras, but ok this one 5 minutes later was Ati, and then ok ok this one was Leras with an assist by Kelsier, and then this one was Kelsier until Ruin hip checked him and took his place real quick". None of the motivations of any of those 3 in this context ever made sense as explained in Secret History, and it's especially clear if you read Secret History immediately after marathoning the trilogy. Like I get that he wanted to tie up loose ends and give the fans a look behind the curtain, but either his Fact Check Force was on holiday, or he really was just backed into the corner by having written the Trilogy without having plotted out Kelsier's actions to see if they made sense. This sort of thing is common with prequels, but it just feels especially bad here for some reason

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Agreed aside from White Sand the Secret History era 1 mistborn stuff is my least favorite thing he has done.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

socialsecurity posted:

Agreed aside from White Sand the Secret History era 1 mistborn stuff is my least favorite thing he has done.

I'd forgotten that vol2 of White Sand came out. The first volume was... eh. I can respect the attempt to take some light material and turn it in to a story via another medium but it was definitely rough.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
i don't mind misborn era 1, even if it felt a little YA and showed immaturity as a writer. elantris is still a slog though, even if parts are interesting--especially since it feels like he reused the characters from it in other books, they just feel familiar lol

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Slanderer posted:

i don't mind misborn era 1, even if it felt a little YA and showed immaturity as a writer. elantris is still a slog though, even if parts are interesting--especially since it feels like he reused the characters from it in other books, they just feel familiar lol

Looking forward to starting Elantris after finishing Hero of Ages. 😂

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

Do you have a reading order planned or are you sort of winging it?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Despite being his first published books, Elantris contains one of his best-written characters. So you at least have that to look forward to.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Slanderer posted:

Spoilers for Secret History:

I still hate the Kelsier's spirit arc. Brandon left "hints" in the original books but he clearly hadn't fully thought this stuff through, and it shows--it's a mess of "ok THIS mist ghost or vision or voice was Kelsier or Leras, but ok this one 5 minutes later was Ati, and then ok ok this one was Leras with an assist by Kelsier, and then this one was Kelsier until Ruin hip checked him and took his place real quick". None of the motivations of any of those 3 in this context ever made sense as explained in Secret History, and it's especially clear if you read Secret History immediately after marathoning the trilogy. Like I get that he wanted to tie up loose ends and give the fans a look behind the curtain, but either his Fact Check Force was on holiday, or he really was just backed into the corner by having written the Trilogy without having plotted out Kelsier's actions to see if they made sense. This sort of thing is common with prequels, but it just feels especially bad here for some reason
SH Spoilers

Yep. I guess I give him credit for not just explicitly retconning it, but it ended up being a convoluted mess. Yeah it technically all works but the characters are servicing the plot holes in a really obviously awkward way.

RoW Spoilers

I finished this today. It was a pretty meh book overall, but I did enjoy parts of it a great deal and continue to be a fan of the cosmere.
  • As many of you have already said, the plot beats felt rehashed with a few notable exceptions. BS managed to ruin a couple of potentially interesting characters by giving us way too many lovely POV pages - I care less about Jasnah, Eshonai, Venli, and Rlain than I did before this book. Venli could literally never be mentioned again and I would be fine with it. I think there's still hope for Rlain, but I now worry that Leshwi is going to turn into a pile of suck due to Venli proxiimity.
  • Jasnah just suffers every time BS tries to pull back the curtain on her, and seeing her through other POVs is the only way her character works for him, but even many of those scenes fell flat in this book. The assassination and revival of the Alethi noble stands out as being particularly ham-handed and pointless.
  • Wit is still good but less is more. Him busting into Kaladin's nightmares was good. Having a dalliance with Jasnah is not even a little believable and I don't get it at all unless he's using her for his plans (we kind of saw this in the contract writing). On that note...
  • I get that BS is trying to write Jasnah as asexual and show us evidence of this, but the chapter where she and Wit are alone as a "couple" was some of the worst written psuedo romance he's done and that's saying something. The whole "relationship" felt very fanservicey/checkbox-ticking to me and I was not convinced that either of them had any reason to give a poo poo about the other aside from paranoid curiosity or Machiavellian self-interest.
  • The whole Shallan arc would have been a lot more interesting if BS had gotten through the reunification/first spren deadeye poo poo in the first half of the book and let her shine again for more than half a chapter.
  • The Ghostbloods stuff and Shallan's attitude toward it has completely jumped the shark and is now just a way to cram some Cosmere stuff in.
  • Adolin owns and needs Shallan to suck less or go elsewhere.
  • Kaladin had great bits in the first half and then was hosed over by the plot, yet again, into the exact same ending...again. Would have been cool if he could have made up with his dad without having to dramatically save him from certain doom - the bit with Lirin wearing the shash glyph was cool and it was lessened by the whole rescue scene.
  • The tower arc would have been way cooler if Kaladin had been incapacitated for most of it and Teft had been coordinating with Rlain/Dabbid/Lift to work with Navani. Would have really made Teft's death more meaningful too. Instead he finally wakes up a thousand pages in and sticks around long enough to let us know he's finally happy and loved before dying in service to Kaladin's grief-fueled plot. It's a rehash of the fridging trope, though thankfully minus the female love interest part.
  • Raboniel is the best antagonist character we've seen so far even if some of her stuff got a bit tedious due to using her and Navani's plot to cram a bunch of Cosmere mechanics into the book.
  • I have enjoyed Taravangian, but I predict he will get ruined as a character by becoming an ULTRA DEVIOUS PLOT VEHICLE that is involved in dishing out or receiving one deus ex machina after another.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Do you have a reading order planned or are you sort of winging it?

Currently, I'm just getting through Hero of Ages and then my next thought was to move on to Elantris. From there, I was thinking of just tackling his stuff in published order, so I'd likely end up bouncing around a bunch. Dunno if this is the best way to handle things though. Just figured it would allow me to discover things as many here did. Because all these books and the Cosmere are starting to remind me of this -

I figure that the best way to pick up on hints/clues/references between the books is to just tackle them in the order he presented them to the world.

As for Hero of Ages, I'm really enjoying it still. Based on the audiobook, I'm almost exactly 1/3 of the way through it (9 hours 15 minutes in to the 27.5 hour audio book). I am getting a little fatigued with just how many parallel character stories we have going - I think there are like 4 or 5 "main" characters we keep bouncing between. But to offset that, I really like that he has gone for making a bunch of short chapters vs fewer larger chapter. In The Final Empire/Well of Ascension, each chapter was 30-45 min long. Chapters in this book tend to run 10-25 min long with the rare 30-45min chapter. So it moves at a decent pace.

Ready for the TenSoon story to kick into gear because every time we check in with him it's more "yup, he's waiting."