Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I was all about that original Blacktron message intercept base. Between them and the space police jail set I'd root for Blacktron. Of course I'd also volunteer to be Darth Vader when my neighbor and I would play with Star Wars figures so maybe I'm just rotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
BLACKTRON DID NOTHING WRONG

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Yeah my tentative guess is this:

e: actually, looking closer, the piece that makes the base appears to be smaller in diameter and... stepped? It's probably just an open stud, not the steering wheel.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 1, 2020

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

xzzy posted:

Not me, Blacktron 2 was when I was in high school and thus held no interest for me because I was being a BIG KID.

But now I think it's "kinda cool."

I was in the 9-12 age range when it came out and it was only 'kinda cool' even then. I bought a bunch of the little sets just for more of the trans neon green to use in my M:tron MOCs, but it was a huge letdown compared to the ominous badassery of Blacktron 1.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

My friend from primary school had the Message Intercept Base, and I was super envious. That was my dream set. The Blacktron aesthetic is unrivalled, pure badass.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

beekeeper-:eng101: that'a supposed to be a smoker, not a watering can

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If they all had as much stuff as the surfer girl CMF the $5 price tag would seem a lot more justified. I could see that being a little set that went for 5 dollars. For the most part $5 just seems like too much for one friggin minifigure.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

xzzy posted:

That hermit crab is loving adorable.

Need to get a minifig size volleyball and I can make a Tom Hanks Castaway scene.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah my tentative guess is this:

e: actually, looking closer, the piece that makes the base appears to be smaller in diameter and... stepped? It's probably just an open stud, not the steering wheel.

Awesome! I think I have all this crap laying around.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

fappenmeister posted:

My friend from primary school had the Message Intercept Base, and I was super envious. That was my dream set. The Blacktron aesthetic is unrivalled, pure badass.

My #1 AFOL moment was scoring that set new in the bags off shopgoodwill. No box, but everything else literally brand new. Yeah I built it, gently caress the value, when will I get to do that again?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I built Elf Clubhouse today and had a lot of fun building it. The waffle-matic stove was a nice surprise.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Sloppy posted:

My #1 AFOL moment was scoring that set new in the bags off shopgoodwill. No box, but everything else literally brand new. Yeah I built it, gently caress the value, when will I get to do that again?

Holy poo poo. How did that feel??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Message Intercept Base never got beyond the sears catalog for me, that poo poo was way outside the family's price range for a gift, no matter what birthday or holiday it was.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

fappenmeister posted:

Holy poo poo. How did that feel??

I'll still be posting about it when I'm 70!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I called LEGO today to see if they had any idea if/when they will have anything in stock again.

They don't. However, they did tell me that Fridays are when stores get their stock in and that what the online store receives and what retail stores receive are not necessarily the same.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Guess I'll have to get violin kid, since I frequently sport a Blacktron 2 shirt IRL.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Sloppy posted:

I'll still be posting about it when I'm 70!

I miss the drat perforated plastic bags they used back then, probably terrible for the environment though! Reminded me of what they would use to package pies ready for the pie warmer.

Currently waiting on my Blacktron minifigs as I may or may not have thrown away a huge batch of Lego at the dump a few years ago, including a lot of the Blacktron translucent quarter dome and Futuron large panel pieces I purchased 10 years ago. :buddy:

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 2, 2020

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Even not factoring in the color scheme and minifig deco, Blacktron I was the better theme. The component swapping of the vehicles and ships was probably the best out of all the old space sets and would allow you get actual new configurations, Blacktron II’s pods are almost nearly identical and don’t really look any different when you swap them around. The original’s base actually feels like a base, as opposed to a landing pad with a staircase that goes nowhere and some blinking lights.

Over the long weekend I tried to do some sorting

What a mess.

I’ve had the basic bins set up for a while, but pretty much any unsorted/bulk lot I’ve bought in the past year is still in the box it shipped in. I keep them separated initially to help limit the pieces to make it easier to figure out what sets they originally came from, but after all the worthwhile sets are pulled out I’m left with a bunch of random pieces, waiting to join the general population. I got through maybe two boxes, but I probably ended up spending more time resorting bins and dividing ones up once they became too full. I’m a bit jealous when I see people here getting those very nice storage units with tons of little bins, but at a dollar each I’m going to stick with this setup, and maybe add some baggies to help further subdivide some of the bins.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Saw this guy on Reddit make a replica of his desk and wanted to do the same. Quick afternoon build:

After those renders, I changed the cup a bit:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Carbohydrates posted:

Saw this guy on Reddit make a replica of his desk and wanted to do the same. Quick afternoon build:

*Love* the mini Ninjago City.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

Does anyone have tips on selling lego sets? Should I use eBay or something like Bricklink?

I went a bit mad over this pandemic and dove into this hobby headfirst(it’s Veni’s fault) and I have about $3000.00 worth of modulars and Star Wars sets that I’m just tired of looking at. I had a LOT of fun building them, honestly, but I truly don’t care for them as display pieces or part of a collection.

I can drop of list of what I have if any Goon is interested in buying at a massive discount but I’ve been wondering how hard it is to sell used set without the boxes? Would I have to separate all the pieces into their original bag numbers? Think I’d rather melt them down instead of ever doing that.

Literally any tips or advice is appreciated.

Had to go back and find this post because my wife kept asking if "that goon" ever posted their Lego sets available and I forgot which goon it was. We just did that Santa's Workshop she bought and not twenty minutes later she's looking at jacked up prices on the holiday train station on Amazon, so I found an acceptable price on ebay for her. Hey it's her money she can do what she wants, but I'd rather buy used sets in one big bag because these sub-1000 piece sets go way too quickly with three people working on them. Make me spend some time looking for the pieces dammit!

So yeah, just let us know once you've got a list ready. She has the library modular and greatly wants to expand.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

CommanderApaul posted:

:emptyquote:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest issue with blacktron 1 is low light or bad old eyes. Building sets out of 99% black and a couple yellow hoses is just a big mass of featureless black unless you under the big lights in the family dining room.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Benny's Spaceship (used) just arrived. That is the biggest bag of loose bricks I have ever seen in my life.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

CommanderApaul posted:

Thanks! It definitely took the longest. 3 x 3 is a very, very small base.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If someone hadn't said it was NC I would think it was a robot with very interesting fashion sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

fappenmeister posted:

I miss the drat perforated plastic bags they used back then, probably terrible for the environment though! Reminded me of what they would use to package pies ready for the pie warmer.

Currently waiting on my Blacktron minifigs as I may or may not have thrown away a huge batch of Lego at the dump a few years ago, including a lot of the Blacktron translucent quarter dome and Futuron large panel pieces I purchased 10 years ago. :buddy:

There have definitely been a couple sets in the past few years I've gotten that still used one of those old style bags.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

davebo posted:

Had to go back and find this post because my wife kept asking if "that goon" ever posted their Lego sets available and I forgot which goon it was. We just did that Santa's Workshop she bought and not twenty minutes later she's looking at jacked up prices on the holiday train station on Amazon, so I found an acceptable price on ebay for her. Hey it's her money she can do what she wants, but I'd rather buy used sets in one big bag because these sub-1000 piece sets go way too quickly with three people working on them. Make me spend some time looking for the pieces dammit!

So yeah, just let us know once you've got a list ready. She has the library modular and greatly wants to expand.

Sorry, yeah. Here’s a quick and dirty screenshot of the list I was keeping. Anything red has been tentatively claimed by another goon, and ignore the prices — that was just so I know how deep in the hole I was.

Let me know if anyone wants anything at a pretty good goon discount. The only boxes I have are the two modulars and the batmobile. I’ll list out the actual set numbers tomorrow but everything was purchased this year from Amazon/Target/Lego store

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 2, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Sorry, yeah. Here’s a quick and dirty screenshot of the list I was keeping. Anything red has been tentatively claimed by another goon, and ignore the prices — that was just so I know hope deep in the whole I was.

Let me know if anyone wants anything at a pretty good goon discount. The only boxes I have are the two modulars and the batmobile. I’ll list out the actual set numbers tomorrow but everything was purchased this year from Amazon/Target/Lego store

I'm interested in San Francisco.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Blacktron Renegade II is one of the only sets I regret not getting when it was a lot cheaper. Now it’s $$$, can’t justify it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

Thanks! It definitely took the longest. 3 x 3 is a very, very small base.

My dude, LEGO needs you as a designer.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

We'd love the modular square but I understand if you want to get top dollar on eBay for that since you have the box.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It’s yours, friend

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
No matter what happens at least I'll die knowing that the creator of Myst liked my build.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Carbohydrates posted:

Yours is way better, even before you account for it not being monochromatic.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Carbohydrates posted:

December is here! I never buy the advent calendars but I enjoy looking at their contents and dang, day 1 is starting strong tbh.

Also, official images of the next CMF, Series 21. Most importantly: only 12 figs this series with even distribution (a box of 36 will have 3 complete sets) and a base price of $4.99, which already felt staggeringly high for the licensed CMFs. With no licensing involved at all, it truly feels downright unreasonable to me. $60 for a smaller set of 12 unlicensed characters? Plus, I feel like you can reeeaaally see that the budget was not evenly allotted. There's some pretty special stuff, but a lot of really simple ones IMO - not necessarily bad, but simple. I think the beekeeper and Aztec warrior are the only ones with more than one new mold. I don't think the space riot cop, surfer, or centaur have ANY new molds. I get that the centaur body and dolphin are larger, more expensive pieces, and the Aztec warrior certainly looks like they spared no expense, but I'm just not seeing the value overall.

EDIT: it actually appears that the beekeeper's watering can is a mug attached to a minifig posing stand, so... just the one new mold there, too. Clever, though.

Some of these look really good. Going to chase the Riot Space Police. and possibly the centaur. Though the alien looks nice as well.

That hermit crab is adorable and those kids are adorable though. The beekeeper is nice to add to beehives.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the beekeeper mask use a standard space visor? Or is that a dual mold?

Definitely wouldn't mind having a few centaurs. Seems like that would be a great part to have for mocs.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Darth TNT posted:

Some of these look really good. Going to chase the Riot Space Police. and possibly the centaur. Though the alien looks nice as well.

That hermit crab is adorable and those kids are adorable though. The beekeeper is nice to add to beehives.

My town has a set of beehives on the roof of the town hall that they elect people to care for, I'll be chasing a few of them to moc something similar for my Lego town.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

AllisonByProxy posted:

No matter what happens at least I'll die knowing that the creator of Myst liked my build.

Did he retweet it? Might be a good way to a bit more support on ideas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Dang it, I finally made my post on r/lego for the frontier bank heist and it got removed under the spam rule because I had "already posted about this ideas project before" which isn't really true. I posted the bank before, sure, but that was: 1) a while ago, specifically before the IDEAS submission even existed; 2) under a different name, so it wouldn't have generated traffic for the IDEAS project's name anyway; and 3) an older version of the MOC with fewer features, different figs, etc. I'm appealing with the mods but considering how aggressively they moderate over there, I'm not holding my breath.

edit: yeah I think I'm hosed, and for a dumb reason. It's because "it's the same model" (which has nothing to do with any of their stated rules) and because the old reddit post for the previous version links to my flickr page, and on the flickr page, I had edited the photo descriptions to reflect that the bank is now on IDEAS, so that old reddit post retroactively counts as promotional. The old reddit post was made Oct 15 and only saw traffic through Oct 18. The IDEAS page creation and flickr caption editing happened on November 22nd. There is zero chance that the old reddit post was promotional.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 2, 2020