Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I put a custom handle on the old Sakai Deba knife I've been restoring. Really happy with how it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bird with big dick posted:

Is this the right one i.e. is this the one that frequently gets talked about?

Yeah, that's a CCK KF1303, which is the precise model ck2g sells and so it's the one the internet loves.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I drew my brother-in-law for my secret santa and I know he really wants an electric knife sharpener. He's got a good wusthof knife setup at home so I don't want to buy him a piece of black and decker poo poo to tear up his blades.

I think he needs to learn how to use a stone, but whatevs. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good sharpener for around $125 or less? I could go more too, but I don't want to spend over the cap we set.

Let me know if I should take this to a different thread and i will.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I drew my brother-in-law for my secret santa and I know he really wants an electric knife sharpener. He's got a good wusthof knife setup at home so I don't want to buy him a piece of black and decker poo poo to tear up his blades.

I think he needs to learn how to use a stone, but whatevs. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good sharpener for around $125 or less? I could go more too, but I don't want to spend over the cap we set.

I always heard that all pull-through sharpeners were bad, but that the best ones are the Chef's Choice ones.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Tall Tale Teller posted:

To describe my general opposition to pull through sharpeners as vociferous would probably be putting it lightly. That said, a Work Sharp will actually grind a proper edge rather than just rip pieces of metal off the edge like a cheap pull through sharpener that uses carbide or ceramic notches. The catch with a Work Sharp is that you want to be mindful of what you're doing; a power tool makes it easier to do things like grind away too much metal or round out an edge or put a frown into the edge profile. Not that those are imminent eventualities or anything, just something to be aware of.

Another possible option is a Sharpmaker. It has a couple catches. For one, it only maintains two angles, 15 and 20 degrees per side. For another, it might be slow going if his knives are very dull. They sell diamond rods for faster cutting, but cheap they are not. The Sharpmaker also forces you to be mindful of your process in a different way. Ideally you would want to know what a burr looks and feels like to be sure your edge is properly sharp. If there's a plus side to that, knowing how to form and remove a burr is a major part of using a bench stone freehand, so it's like freehand with training wheels. It's going to work slower than the Work Sharp, but it's also harder to accidentally make a mistake like round off a tip or grind a frown into the edge profile.

If neither of those float your boat, America's Test Kitchen agrees with guppy.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://www.amazon.com/DALSTRONG-Crixus-Gladiator-Cleaver-Hybrid/dp/B07M95KL76/

look at this ridiculous thing

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

They make some silly knives.

https://www.amazon.com/DALSTRONG-Gl...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ah, a tactical cleaver. I guess there's a reason that

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A half million chefs all switching

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Any current consensus-ish on best western 8” chef’s knife in the $100-200 range.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 1, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No that is a big range and will also depend on how you like to cut things and if you don't mind reactive knives and...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

Any current consensus-ish on best western 8” chef’s knife in the $100-200 range.
Buy one of this guy's knives: http://elementfe.com/products

I have a 7.5" chef in AEB-L from him and it's one of my primary knives.

It's better than any commercial knife you can buy in that price range.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Pontius Pilate posted:

There is a ton in that range, there is absolutely no way anyone can give a consensus pick. I like Mac Pros but there's a ton to choose from at that budget. Much above that and you start getting into some serious specialty stuff.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

I am a big fan of my Wusthof chef's. Other people will swear by Shun. You've got a lot of options and would maybe get an idea of the intended users preferences a little bit more. Do they have any other good knives? Do they have a cuisine they tend to make the most?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
They did say Western. In the absence of any other information, yeah, I would probably default to a Wusthof Classic (~$160).

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

guppy posted:

They did say Western. In the absence of any other information, yeah, I would probably default to a Wusthof Classic (~$160).

I love mine

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kenshin posted:

Is this a local shop or friend or something? Don't think I've ever heard of em before, though they def look a step above a lot of the "artisan" stuff on etsy and I'm happy to give em a shot on a paring knife I've been meaning to replace for ages.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Is this a local shop or friend or something? Don't think I've ever heard of em before, though they def look a step above a lot of the "artisan" stuff on etsy and I'm happy to give em a shot on a paring knife I've been meaning to replace for ages.
He's a local bladesmith that I'm friendly with, he sells primarily at farmer's markets in the greater Seattle area. He has an excellent reputation locally.

Also, hello kitchen knife thread, I didn't realize this thread existed until a week or so ago. I come here from the Knife Making thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570191. I make knives (mostly kitchen knives) as a fairly serious hobby so I have strong opinions about custom/hand-made knives.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 2, 2020

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nephzinho posted:

I am a big fan of my Wusthof chef's. Other people will swear by Shun. You've got a lot of options and would maybe get an idea of the intended users preferences a little bit more. Do they have any other good knives? Do they have a cuisine they tend to make the most?

It’s actually for me! Sorry for the lack of specifics, it’s a gift from my ma-in-law and was still trying to suss out details via my husband but the time frame is tight. I mainly cook western cuisine—French, Italian, American, Mexican, mostly—but still do plenty of south and East Asian, South American, other European cuisines, etc. My favorite cooking is usually with meat and involved recipes: stewing or braising? Sign me up. Not sure how much that pertains to a knife but details I guess. I’m a good home cook, but my current chef’s knife is the victorinox recommended to me by goons ages ago, so anything will be an upgrade really; I just assumed a western style since that’s what I’ve used all my life and are my main cuisines, but I’m open to being convinced by the East Asian fans.

Unfortunately, I’m probably limited to a chef’s knife you can order off a mainstream website in a reasonable timeframe due to the circumstances, but I think I’ll try a paring knife from that local guy posted above.

e: the wusthof classic looks perfect too, so thanks for those recommendations, but if anyone has any objections in light of the new information, may they forever hold their peace, etc

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 2, 2020

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You don’t need a western knife to cook western food.

Japanese knives are pretty much across the board better. I own a Wusthof Classic that sits unused. It’s heavy, it’s fairly soft steel and comes with bad edge geometry and it has a thick bolster for no reason that makes sharpening weird.

If you’d like a western handle plenty of Japanese knives have them. The Tojiro DP gets recommended a lot and has a western handle. It’s lighter, it’ll feel sharper, it’s easier to sharpen, it’ll stay sharp longer.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I was going to suggest a Tojiro DP but shied away because I didn't want to be that guy saying "buy a Japanese knife" when asked for a western knife but it seems I guess it's not as strict a request as I initially interpreted. It's not as tall as the wusthof or whatever, not as much of a belly for rock cutting, if you do a lot of it, but as Chemmy says it'll be lighter, hold the edge longer whenever you get it sharpened, and will be easier to sharpen (if you do it yourself).

For the $80 or whatever you could do a lot worse but it's hard to do much better. Could you spend more on a different knife? Yes. Will it make it better? Not necessarily, use case depending.

Don't use it for chopping through bones or whatever. You'll now have the fibrox as a beater knife and it'll be perfectly serviceable for that, I use mine for that kind of stuff all the time. Still sharpen it whenever I do the gyuto and now it's just part of the lineup.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I've been using a Spyderco sharpener kit for years, but I decided to finally give whetstone stuff a try. I watched the Carter Cutlery and weirdo French guy videos and ordered some stuff. Here's hoping I'll soon join the "whoops, cut through my fingernail" club of idiots.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Japanese knives with Western handles: I have a few Mac Pros and I like them, but it pains me to say I am not a fan of this 8 1/2" French style chef's knife:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017VK3UI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have never really been able to get it to the point that I thought it cut as well as some of the others, even after a professional sharpening. I've been working on improving my own sharpening skills and once I am more comfortable doing so, I will try again, but as much as I want to like it, it's always been a bit disappointing.

I have this Santoku also and it is incredibly good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5BV5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And therefore I think if I wanted to go Mac I would look at this 8" chef's knife which looks similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Knife-Pr...06908974&sr=8-2

Mac has other series, but this is their most popular.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kalsco posted:

I was going to suggest a Tojiro DP but shied away because I didn't want to be that guy saying "buy a Japanese knife" when asked for a western knife but it seems I guess it's not as strict a request as I initially interpreted.
Yeah, someone asking for a Western chef's knife is more or less literally how the gyuto was first created. Like most double-bevel Japanese kitchen knives, they didn't exist until the Meiji Restoration, and came about as part of an intentional effort to introduce European-style cutlery to Japan.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Chemmy posted:

You don’t need a western knife to cook western food.

Japanese knives are pretty much across the board better. I own a Wusthof Classic that sits unused. It’s heavy, it’s fairly soft steel and comes with bad edge geometry and it has a thick bolster for no reason that makes sharpening weird.

If you’d like a western handle plenty of Japanese knives have them. The Tojiro DP gets recommended a lot and has a western handle. It’s lighter, it’ll feel sharper, it’s easier to sharpen, it’ll stay sharp longer.

I just bought this for my SIL for christmas, though I haven't owned one myself.

e; Also as for the Wusthof, you can get it without the finger guard to avoid sharpening issues.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 2, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I switched from a German chef's knife to a single-bevel Japanese knife and it didn't take too long to get used to. They tend to be longer and have only a small curve, if at all, which could mean you need to change your cutting technique, though.

Don't write them off just because you don't make Japanese food :P

vvvv still half asleep when I wrote that. I meant adjustment mostly due to extra length and lack of curved belly than the bevel which, yeah, you're exactly right.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 2, 2020

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Going to something like the Tojiro is probably no adjustment at all. Single bevel knives are cool but that Tojiro just outperforms a battle ax like the Wusthof. An inexperienced user won’t know there’s any difference besides “it cuts better”.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

SubG posted:

Yeah, someone asking for a Western chef's knife is more or less literally how the gyuto was first created. Like most double-bevel Japanese kitchen knives, they didn't exist until the Meiji Restoration, and came about as part of an intentional effort to introduce European-style cutlery to Japan.

Yeah. I do see people's eyes glaze over whenever this topic comes up when talking about kitchenware tho. Either for lack of care or interest (which is fair), unfamiliarity, or whatever. I also find a lot of people really do belly rock a lot, and roughly handle knifes so the western way of knive construction is more of a no brainer.

That said, I still use a gyuto as my primary so ymmv. I just basically never rock it and I'm pretty plum happy. The edge doesn't immediately feel like it gets destroyed and it's an easy sharpen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also I'm pretty sure gyuto means "beef sword" so there's a good reason to get one.

I mostly use a santoku.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Also I'm pretty sure gyuto means "beef sword" so there's a good reason to get one.

I mostly use a santoku.

I have a 6 inch gyuto that I really like

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I mostly use a santoku.

My Western chef knives have gotten no love since I left restaurants, and even then my 10" Victorinox wasn't beating out my santoku for most vegetable dicing.

Santokus rule.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

:ssh: my next knife purchase will be a santoku

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Kenshin posted:

I like how all but the most expensive ones are out of stock :thunk:

e: not to poo poo post too much, I have $81.45 left on a giftcard from months ago. I already have the Victo 8" - what knife should I get? Nakiri, santoku, gyuto? I like a taller knife, so I was thinking even a Chinese vegetable cleaver or something.

kloa fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 3, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

kloa posted:

I like how all but the most expensive ones are out of stock :thunk:

e: not to poo poo post too much, I have $81.45 left on a giftcard from months ago. I already have the Victo 8" - what knife should I get? Nakiri, santoku, gyuto? I like a taller knife, so I was thinking even a Chinese vegetable cleaver or something.

I'm a big cleaver convert this year. A nakiri is just a baby cleaver for babies. Santoku and gyuto are basically the same thing you have already.

e; This raises the question- what does everyone do with knives they don't use anymore? Some of my knives have sentimental attachment, like my first non-cutco-knife-block knife, or niche uses to keep 2-3 times a year, but something like a nakiri where I legit don't think I will ever use it again. Gift to friends and family? To someone who is learning to cook?
e2; I audited my drawer at lunch and its just the nakiri and my first chef's knife that I don't use. One of my friends was marveling at it recently, I should just let her have it.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 3, 2020

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
Am I too late to weigh in on the Wüsthof classic, or for that matter any kitchen knife with a bolster that runs down to the heel? I have no idea what purpose those bolsters serve, but they make maintenance increasingly difficult the more use and TLC the knife gets.
To Wüsthof specifically, I can't imagine that Wüsthof uses a steel or heat treat significantly better than anything that Victorinox produces. I think they both use something along the lines of 0.5% carbon and 14% chromium stainless with whatever extra alloying elements. Wüsthof might be slightly harder; the Amazon page says they go to 58 HRC; and I think Victorinox says 56-58 HRC. Someone feel free to fact check all that. So if I wanted something better than a Victorinox Fibrox in European style, I'd just get a fancier Victorinox, like one with a full tang and slab handles. Or I guess a Wüsthof Ikon. Otherwise, I'm with all the guys suggesting a gyuto, especially considering the cost of an Ikon against a Tojiro DP gyuto. For full disclosure, a Victorinox Fibrox and Tojiro DP santoku do most of the heavy lifting in my kitchen.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Bolsters that run down to the heel are ugly stylistically and are a pain to sharpen. Yuck. Unnecessary weight, too.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I thoroughly love my Wusthof Classic, except for the loving bolster. I haven't ever enjoyed using a santoku, even when I've bummed a pro's, but I'm positive I'm not doing anything as refined as anybody recommending against the Wusthof.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

I thoroughly love my Wusthof Classic, except for the loving bolster. I haven't ever enjoyed using a santoku, even when I've bummed a pro's, but I'm positive I'm not doing anything as refined as anybody recommending against the Wusthof.

Same. I spent a solid amount of time in a Williams Sonoma playing with their selection of Wusthofs and other western + japanese knives. Even with the bolster, the Wusthof classic just felt the best in my hand :shrug:

Think it might be time to buy a cleaver, though.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Democratic Pirate posted:

Same. I spent a solid amount of time in a Williams Sonoma playing with their selection of Wusthofs and other western + japanese knives. Even with the bolster, the Wusthof classic just felt the best in my hand :shrug:

Think it might be time to buy a cleaver, though.

I've been toying around with a nothing-special Sabatier cleaver to try and make clearer to myself whether I'm going to get a CCK.

I really want one, but I don't know if I'd actually use it.

(the cleaver is nothing at all like a Chinese cleaver; I'm just seeing how something heavier feels)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have a cheap stainless #1 (the big one) and it’s 395g. The 8” Wusthof is 237g. Bolster issues aside, the cleaver is easier to use, and slides efficiently through basically every vegetable I put it use on. Part of that is probably the weight, but it also holds its edge as well as the Wusthof, sharpens easily, and has a better bevel geometry for moving the food out of the way.

I’m replacing the Wusthof with a gyuto because I don’t care for the western handle and the bolster really gets in my way after using the cleaver.