Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That just looks like fairly normal new growth to me. Plants don’t always make perfect leaves. They look healthy and happy to me. You might pot them up in bigger containers soon if they keep growing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That just looks like fairly normal new growth to me. Plants don’t always make perfect leaves. They look healthy and happy to me. You might pot them up in bigger containers soon if they keep growing.

I was mostly concerned because the plant I took all these cuttings from had much more regular leaves, with none of this rippling, but I guess I'll just keep on without changing anything and see how they turn out. They taste fine, at least.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

We just had a wooden fence in our yard replaced, and now there’s a big gap between the ground and the fence that I need to fill in with some dirt.

Should I bother putting a wooden board up against the fence first to act as a retaining wall before I put the dirt in? Our last fence had one and I’m wondering if this dirt is gonna erode if I don’t add one to the new fence.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

We just had a wooden fence in our yard replaced, and now there’s a big gap between the ground and the fence that I need to fill in with some dirt.

Should I bother putting a wooden board up against the fence first to act as a retaining wall before I put the dirt in? Our last fence had one and I’m wondering if this dirt is gonna erode if I don’t add one to the new fence.
Yes do that. Depends on how big the gap is, but landscape timbers would work or 5/4 decking or even just fence slats. Make sure whatever you use is pressure treated for ground contact (it usually says somewhere on the sticker)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yes do that. Depends on how big the gap is, but landscape timbers would work or 5/4 decking or even just fence slats. Make sure whatever you use is pressure treated for ground contact (it usually says somewhere on the sticker)

Is pressure treated for ground contact different from regular pressure treated?

I was gonna stick the wood into the little space between the fenceposts and the slats making up the actual fence, which is a little under 1” thick iirc.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

For consideration, when you have a muck boot blowout at night in soaking wet NC conditions, Frozen themed duct tape will not actually fix it. Regardless of your three year old niece's opinion.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
An old soul, you just needed more.

Final harvest of the year, trying for 3 years now from seed... if you do the maths that's WELL over 1 aji a year. Crushing it :smug:

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 15, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: misread

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

mischief posted:

For consideration, when you have a muck boot blowout at night in soaking wet NC conditions, Frozen themed duct tape will not actually fix it. Regardless of your three year old niece's opinion.

I think it's awesome that you tried it anyway!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

An old soul, you just needed more.

Final harvest of the year, trying for 3 years now from seed... if you do the maths that's WELL over 1 aji a year. Crushing it :smug:
Same as the above, honestly.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
While I apologize for the crappy photo (they're in the back and I have to reach), these are my indoor er jing tiao getting ripe. They're growing like I'd expect them to, and taste great, so it seems reasonable to save the seeds from these pods (they were hand pollinated and protected from crosses) when they're ripe and share the extra. I'd expect them to be fully red and ripe somewhere around 30 days from now, when I'll pick and dry them. I will hopefully have plenty to share. So if you want some and are in the US, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to send 5-10 seeds when I see how many I have. I'll pay for the stamp, so there's no mess about money either. I'll post about it again when I know how many I have, so no rush to decide now.

I have one nice sized Caribbean Red that's growing too. I don't expect much for fruit on these, and I've been giving them a trim to keep them manageable size as they're going to get moved outside in the spring. Plenty of Bird Aji though, which is kind of amazing as I'd have thought they'd not want to play nice indoors.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 16, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
What's wrong with my tomatoes? This is happening on the bottom leaves from a couple of different plants, right next to each other. Everything is in pots, leaves clear of the dirt. It is in a greenhouse, temps have been peaking at about 36c, down to 12ish overnight. I'm not seeing signs of dryness (no other wilting, plants are staying upright). Everything but the bottom leaves looks entirely healthy.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

awesmoe posted:

What's wrong with my tomatoes? This is happening on the bottom leaves from a couple of different plants, right next to each other. Everything is in pots, leaves clear of the dirt. It is in a greenhouse, temps have been peaking at about 36c, down to 12ish overnight. I'm not seeing signs of dryness (no other wilting, plants are staying upright). Everything but the bottom leaves looks entirely healthy.

My first thought is those leaves are getting shaded out, so the plant is letting them die out in favor of leaves receiving more light. Dunno enough about vegetable gardening to say whether you should Thin the canopy

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Not sure if this should be Pet island or here, but I’ll just shoot:

How could I go about establishing a natural pee pad on my balcony? Build a frame for a roll of sod? Get one of the hydroponic natural pee pads from Amazon and give it water & light? Cultivate a different ground cover entirely?

It’s for two chihuahuas so the amount of effluent is minimal

The challenges I foresee are finding something Hardy to zone 5 and capable of handling the nitrogenous wastes

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
You could get one of the astroturf kinds with the tray and put pee pads under the AstroTurf. As long as it’s outside, they should understand that outside = potty time, not inside. We used to astroturf kind and it worked well for our chihuahua/dachshund.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think you would have difficulty finding a plant that grows vigorously, potentially in shade, and continues to grow vigorously at negative fifteen degrees Fahrenheit.

Your dogs don’t hibernate through the winter.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

You could get one of the astroturf kinds with the tray and put pee pads under the AstroTurf. As long as it’s outside, they should understand that outside = potty time, not inside. We used to astroturf kind and it worked well for our chihuahua/dachshund.

I have one with AstroTurf but I hate it and would much rather have something that's real plants. Looking around, seems like folks have had success using sod with a drainage layer. Failing that, I'll just use a bed of mulch

if moss could handle it, I would just use that. But the nitrogen turns it brown iirc

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Finally found the before photo so here are my before and after photos of my garden:

Before:

After:
1)

2)

We started this transformation in February of this year and should be completely finished in December (fingers crossed). From the before photo you can see we had to take out that tree. We took it out entirely ourselves and dug up the roots by hand when needed. I didn't want to spend any money on that tree since a couple of quotes to get it taken out and the roots dug up were in the $2-4k range. Our taking it out by ourselves was ~$180. We ended up spending about $100 for an electric pole saw and chainsaw oil, about $40 for three months of yard waste pick up, and about $40 for yard containers.

From there we started putting in the garden. First thing to go in was the grape arch. You can see it right center of the photo next to the garage; it's hard to see since all the leaves are off. It was made with a cattle panel that is sandwiched between four t-posts. That was about $150 I'd guess for the cattle panel, the posts, and post pounder. You can see six tubes coming out of the ground. Those are in two bunches of three. Inside one group of three is raspberries, and the other has blueberries. I found the tube in the ditch abandoned so that was totally free except for the work of getting it cut up and dug in. Along the garage you can see I have two tree trellis boxes. One closer to the house has the fabled apple tree I bought for $325 ($300 with tax) that everyone here had a blast making fun of me for. The box that tree is in is about 7 feet tall and about 7 feet wide. The other one is for the pear tree I hope to find. That trellis is a little bigger at about 8' by about 8'. I like pears more so I wanted the bigger spot for the pears. About $250 for the wood and hardware for the tree boxes. Then there's the raised beds. Being on a slope I wanted pretty tall raised beds. There are three 3'x5'x2', one 3'x6'x2', and one 3'x7'x2'. I do not recall the exact costs for those, but I can say they are all made with 2"x8" cedar from Mendard's and I probably spent about $1400 on the wood for that. Filled them up with compost and top soil 40/60 mix. The soil and truck rentals probably cost me ~$200. Not seen is the two more trellises I'm going to make. I had another cattle panel and that was cut up to be a couple of trellises next to the house. Also not seen is we took out two bushes that I didn't like and were part of the yard waste pick up cost.

So all together a lot of work in my free time and about $2500 so far has brought me this garden. I'm pretty pleased with it so far and hope to get lots out of it next year. This year we were able to get several baskets of tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumber, and peppers. Next year we won't be planting any squash or zucchini as those attracted squash bugs and a raccoon or opossum. Next year we are planning on getting the grapes/raspberries/blueberries/apples from the already planted items, and we want to plant strawberries, onions, bell peppers, peas, carrots, and spinach. And anything else that fancies us.

Earth fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 19, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Earth posted:

Finally found the before photo so here are my before and after photos of my garden:

Before:

After:
1)

2)

We started this transformation in February of this year and should be completely finished in December (fingers crossed). From the before photo you can see we had to take out that tree. We took it out entirely ourselves and dug up the roots by hand when needed. I didn't want to spend any money on that tree since a couple of quotes to get it taken out and the roots dug up were in the $2-4k range. Our taking it out by ourselves was ~$180. We ended up spending about $100 for an electric pole saw and chainsaw oil, about $40 for three months of yard waste pick up, and about $40 for yard containers.

From there we started putting in the garden. First thing to go in was the grape arch. You can see it right center of the photo next to the garage; it's hard to see since all the leaves are off. It was made with a cattle panel that is sandwiched between four t-posts. That was about $150 I'd guess for the cattle panel, the posts, and post pounder. You can see six tubes coming out of the ground. Those are in two bunches of three. Inside one group of three is raspberries, and the other has blueberries. I found the tube in the ditch abandoned so that was totally free except for the work of getting it cut up and dug in. Along the garage you can see I have two tree trellis boxes. One closer to the house has the fabled apple tree I bought for $325 ($300 with tax) that everyone here had a blast making fun of me for. The box that tree is in is about 7 feet tall and about 7 feet wide. The other one is for the pear tree I hope to find. That trellis is a little bigger at about 8' by about 8'. I like pears more so I wanted the bigger spot for the pears. About $250 for the wood and hardware for the tree boxes. Then there's the raised beds. Being on a slope I wanted pretty tall raised beds. There are three 3'x5'x2', one 3'x6'x2', and one 3'x7'x2'. I do not recall the exact costs for those, but I can say they are all made with 2"x8" cedar from Mendard's and I probably spent about $1400 on the wood for that. Filled them up with compost and top soil 40/60 mix. The soil and truck rentals probably cost me ~$200. Not seen is the two more trellises I'm going to make. I had another cattle panel and that was cut up to be a couple of trellises next to the house. Also not seen is we took out two bushes that I didn't like and were part of the yard waste pick up cost.

So all together a lot of work in my free time and about $2500 so far has brought me this garden. I'm pretty pleased with it so far and hope to get lots out of it next year. This year we were able to get several baskets of tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumber, and peppers. Next year we won't be planting any squash or zucchini as those attracted squash bugs and a raccoon or opossum. Next year we are planning on getting the grapes/raspberries/blueberries/apples from the already planted items, and we want to plant strawberries, onions, bell peppers, peas, carrots, and spinach. And anything else that fancies us.

where is the bonsai bench?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Since I'm showing stuff off here's some photos from the house I just sold before the house I'm in now.

1) One of my favorite parts of the old house was my columbine. I love columbine flowers and these were right by my major walkway. Sam's Club box is where I got them and they were perfect in every way. My favorite part of this area was this is where I'd always find the praying mantises.

2) Here's the raised bed garden I put in. I'm not going to go into details like I did for my current garden. Raised metal beds from here - https://www.metalgardenbeds.com - and the bricks were at the house as it was previously owned by a mason and no one ever cleaned up the bricks. I got this garden done and ended up selling the house less than six months later for my current house.

Apparently the garden I put in helped sell the house so I'm not too upset about that since I did get my asking price out of it. I'm glad to be out of that house. If I were living through pandemic in that house I'd be seriously struggling.

The nice thing is having done that once I’ve got experience for doing it the next time. I’m going to do a similar raised garden bed in the front of my new house. The front yard is tiny and every time I lug the lawnmower up I am disappointed in having to do that so I’m covering it with raised beds and pavers to never have to bring the mower up again. Hoping to get that done next year.

Earth fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 19, 2020

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Ok Comboomer posted:

where is the bonsai bench?

I don't actually care for bonsai. Sure I enjoy looking at them, but I've got pets in the house so it's just not happening. The closest I'll get is shaping those espalier trees.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Earth posted:

Since I'm showing stuff off here's some photos from the house I just sold before the house I'm in now.

1) One of my favorite parts of the old house was my columbine. I love columbine flowers and these were right by my major walkway. Sam's Club box is where I got them and they were perfect in every way. My favorite part of this area was this is where I'd always find the praying mantises.

Oh wow, that's lovely. I will definitely have to remember columbine for next year.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

vonnegutt posted:

Oh wow, that's lovely. I will definitely have to remember columbine for next year.

Got them from a Sam’s club box of roots. It was in an area that had a lot of damp soil and got 2-4 hours of direct sunlight. Grew like weeds. At the new house I tried to get some going, but the soil here is very clay heavy. They aren’t doing as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Gardening: SA Cottagecore Ground Zero

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I'm moving into a new place so am sadly leaving my current garden and rooftop space behind. Thankfully my new place has a big garden area that while is more of a landscaped "yard" sort of thing then garden the landlord doesn't really care what I do with it and there is plenty to work with. I was there today pulling weeds, cutting back bushes, and preparing what will be planting beds and there is one space which I'm doing back and forth about.

It is circular space that is up in between some boulders so it isn't really convenient for cut-and-go vegetables or daily harvesting. I'm thinking of using it for a one-time harvest crop like root vegetables, garlic, or maybe just keeping it going as a sweet potato bed. I seem to be zone 9b-ish; It doesn't really get to freezing until January or February and even then it is generally brief snow followed by intense sun again. I've had peppers and eggplants survive the winter here some years while they died off others.

Based on that I'm trying to decide if it's going to be possible to start anything in that space for a spring harvest. I already have garlic going that I planted back in September or so and harvested sweet potatoes a while back as well. Would it be too late to get something going in there or should I just toss on a mulch for further soil health some spring?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ You might be able to transplant some veg that does better with the cold/lack of sun, but tomatoes/peppers and heat loving things will want to go in after the cold part of the year so they can root in properly. Once established they'd have a better chance of surviving the cold. I don't know that I'd direct sow anything, but I don't know how warm it is in the ground. You might get away with direct sowing peas/radishes/greens, but maybe not. I'm learning how to properly winter garden myself and the biggest limit I have is hours of sunlight (and some freezes).

Now, from my basement garden, I have peppers ripening. In order, the erjingtiao that I'm sending seeds for the people who PMed me from here and another thread. I should have enough seeds no problem. Then it's the Chi-Chien which some people in the Chinese food thread are also getting for sure, but I hope to have enough to share more. These don't seem super packed with seeds. Then it's the first Bird Aji which is getting ripe (can't share these, I'm not hand pollinating them). SUPER excited to get to eat this one.

The peppers (35 of them) are all going to need another prune in the next week or so. This is getting out of control, but the root systems are getting amazing. I'm really looking forward to putting them outside in about... 4-5 months...

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
There's a hard freeze coming over the next two nights, and while my big boy tomato plant is going to die (after I harvested every tomat bigger than a golf ball), I dug up the tiny cherry tomato plant and put it in a big ol pot indoors. Here's hoping it will still provide fruit!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

vortmax posted:

There's a hard freeze coming over the next two nights, and while my big boy tomato plant is going to die (after I harvested every tomat bigger than a golf ball), I dug up the tiny cherry tomato plant and put it in a big ol pot indoors. Here's hoping it will still provide fruit!

You didn't try taking a cutting from the big boy?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

vortmax posted:

Rooting for that 'mater

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Rooting for that 'mater

Unless you’ve got grow lights you may as well give up.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

wooger posted:

I know :smith: but on the other hand

HERE WE GO MATERRR HERE WE GO clap clap

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ok Comboomer posted:

You didn't try taking a cutting from the big boy?
I figured I'd just get another one in the spring :shrug:

wooger posted:

I'm putting it outside during the day, but I'm probably getting a grow light anyway.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

vortmax posted:

I'm putting it outside during the day, but I'm probably getting a grow light anyway.

Fwiw I use daylight spectrum cheap 3’ LEDs for my pepper room. They were the cheapest ones at the home goods store. One is plenty for wintering a plant, but you’ll probably want two if you hope to get tomatoes this winter.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

vortmax posted:

Is it not cold during the day too?

Don’t know where you are, but for me the daily high is now too low for tomatos, and there are not enough daylight hours in or out.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Yoruichi posted:

Hello, I have a small front lawn which I am extremely lazy about mowing, and is full of weeds. It will be spring here soon, and I am contemplating giving up on grass altogether and sowing the lawn with wildflower seeds. Is this a good idea??

Hello again. I did this. Three months after spreading a bunch of seeds around, my lawn looks like a hay paddock and has one (1) flower. Hopefully this isn't it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I know :smith: but on the other hand

HERE WE GO MATERRR HERE WE GO clap clap

Grow lights are hella cheap dude. Get a clip on fixture or desk lamp or whatever and a $9 GE LED bulb (or $27 for hi power) and don't be a stunad

lights are the single best investment I've made in the wellbeing and aesthetics of my indoor plants

my roommate's kinda annoyed about it but gently caress him my plants are BEAUTIFUL

and make some sauce with some of the red boys you harvested

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My plants suffered last winter and it made me sad, so I now I have a grow light on order that puts two hundred watts through the best light emitting diodes money can buy.

:shepspends:

It’s the kind of thing a person might use to grow… tomatoes… in a walk‐in closet.

gently caress you, clouds. gently caress you, axial tilt. We’re in the tropics now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I live in a legal state so if I wanna talk about growing weed responsibly and within the parameters of the law I'll talk about growing weed

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Avoid the grow bulbs if you can, they don’t provide much coverage.

I have a Spider Farmer light and some Barrina grow lights that cost 1/8 as much .. if I were to do it again, I’d just get a bunch of the barrina lights. They provide so much more coverage and the output is enough to tinge my succulents red. The Spider Farmer is way overkill, I can’t go above 50% without my succulents turning bright red.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

lil poopendorfer posted:

Avoid the grow bulbs if you can, they don’t provide much coverage.

I have a Spider Farmer light and some Barrina grow lights that cost 1/8 as much .. if I were to do it again, I’d just get a bunch of the barrina lights. They provide so much more coverage and the output is enough to tinge my succulents red. The Spider Farmer is way overkill, I can’t go above 50% without my succulents turning bright red.

Yeah, in terms of output it goes:

Grow bulbs

T5 and Led tubes

Spider Farmer, etc lights

I’m fixing to put some more cost effective and photon-emitting T5 lights in my plant shelves, but the grow bulbs are also good if you’re limited in space, you’ve got fixtures you want to use, you’ve only got a plant or two, you’re augmenting window light, and/or you have the thing set up in your living room.

Spider farmer lights are for putting in a grow room/tent, they’re not really compatible in a living space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Grow lights are hella cheap dude. Get a clip on fixture or desk lamp or whatever and a $9 GE LED bulb (or $27 for hi power) and don't be a stunad

lights are the single best investment I've made in the wellbeing and aesthetics of my indoor plants

my roommate's kinda annoyed about it but gently caress him my plants are BEAUTIFUL

and make some sauce with some of the red boys you harvested

? I have grow lights, but those arent my tomatoes and I think they would be bummed if I harvest their tomatoes. I was just cheering on a perinneal pal who maybe doesnt know about lights or cant afford them or whatever other reason :)