Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope Momo holds the island up when it looks like it’s going to fall on the capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I hope Momo holds the island up when it looks like it’s going to fall on the capital.

He hasn't done a goddamn thing so far. This would feel like more of an asspull than birdcage to me, at this point I'd be completely satisfied with him doing nothing but ruling in the aftermath

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I feel we need to add the 'I need to recharge my Haki for 10 minutes' bit if we're complaining about the final fight of Dressrosa

I feel like "recharging haki" on its own wouldnt be bad. I can buy it'd be exhausting to keep up especially if you're not super experienced and using it the way Luffy was, and was fine when it was sort of briefly mentioned after the cracker fight (& then....not at all after that I dont think). So Luffy needing to catch his breath for some time while all the people he's helped keep him safe regardless of the risks to themselves because they know he can do it (separate from any other pacing problems), would be fun!

But the fact it was explicitly 10 minutes, complete with full on countdown chapter to the end of the time limit was definitely... a choice, all right.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah that's been not great both times its shown up.

nah it was handled perfectly fine vs. Katakuri

turns out the easy way to handle it is to not have an incredibly specific countdown and to also let Luffy continue to do things instead of being lugged around

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ubiquitus posted:

He hasn't done a goddamn thing so far. This would feel like more of an asspull than birdcage to me, at this point I'd be completely satisfied with him doing nothing but ruling in the aftermath

Hes also 8 years old but weve been constantly shown that he wants to do anything to help.
Everytime weve seen him in downtime hes practicing swordswings. The kid's due for a tangible win at some point. Hes Oden's heir and is the rallying cry for all of the samurai, the way they can reclaim their honor. At this point I say he needs to be instrumental to the win in some way to close this narrative un a satisfactory way.

This would make the treatment of rebecca suck even more retroactively since shed have less agency than an 8 year old child.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
my pet wish for this arc is that Orochi isn't really dead and that when Onigashima makes it to the Flower Capital, good ol Hiyori gets her wish to kill him

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ik a lot of people liked the "this man's entire life amounted to nothing, he wasn't important, everyone hated him, and he was killed with no regard by the man he relied on" aspect of orochi's story and honestly its not bad

but i think he's one of the most exceptional villains in OP. he's so loving despicable, like the wapol archetype brought to a million. i would really love a proper cathartic end to him rather than a casual swing from kaido, even if we know that kaido is the only reason he's notable in the first place

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So people actually think the guy with the multi head fruit is dead like that lol?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

rannum posted:

I feel like "recharging haki" on its own wouldnt be bad. I can buy it'd be exhausting to keep up especially if you're not super experienced and using it the way Luffy was, and was fine when it was sort of briefly mentioned after the cracker fight (& then....not at all after that I dont think). So Luffy needing to catch his breath for some time while all the people he's helped keep him safe regardless of the risks to themselves because they know he can do it (separate from any other pacing problems), would be fun!

But the fact it was explicitly 10 minutes, complete with full on countdown chapter to the end of the time limit was definitely... a choice, all right.

Luffy brings it up fighting Katakuri. He thinks that since Haki is a resource you can run out of, he can hit and fade Katakuri until he can't predict the future anymore and take him out.

But Luffy is on a time limit and Katakuri isn't, and Luffy is using Haki to fight him so it doesn't go anywhere.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ubiquitus posted:

Maybe it'd be a bit cheap, but I'm still hoping the emotions of seeing the samurai defeated allows him to turn into a full-fledged dragon, Kaido sized. Dragon fight!

They've shown he doesn't know how to use his ability, so the groundwork is there for it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

haki works best in this story imo when its kinda just treated like a supernatural muscle

instead of "10 minutes" you just need a breather which could coincidentally be around 10 minutes. instead of your armament not being above some arbitrary threshold to deal damage, it's like you haven't worked your back muscles enough to throw a strong punch. when haki behaves like One Pieces version of mana its boring, but thankfully that just hasn't been the case for quite some time now

the "awakening" stuff i think has potential for being kinda bad but i'll reserve judgment until then. i thought doflamingos "turn anything into string" stuff was kinda uninspired

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
A recurring thing with Luffy is that he runs before he can walk - when Gear Second was introduced, it was explained that doing it takes a big toll on his body, but there were other people around at the time who were just as fast/strong without necessarily burning off their own life. The haki recharge countdown against Doffy felt kind of contrived, but I think it was necessary to really drive home that Luffy is only temporarily accessing strength, in bursts, that other people just plain have. While he did eventually beat Katakuri, I think it's fair to say that Katakuri stabbing himself in the gut to make things fair had a lot to do with it - Luffy, like has been said, comments that his haki should eventually 'run out', but we don't actually see that happen.

I feel like the "Luffy loses his DF powers in prison and then has to actually train his physical body for the first time in a while" is gonna pay off in ways that we haven't seen yet.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Yonko by Narupiti Harunsong

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm Teach's hilariously oversized hat.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm Teach's hilariously oversized hat.

Big Hat?!?!?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Zoro holding back so he doesn’t hurt Luffy’s feelings is so far away from either of their characterization that it’s like a plot from a different story.

Bleck posted:

A recurring thing with Luffy is that he runs before he can walk - when Gear Second was introduced, it was explained that doing it takes a big toll on his body, but there were other people around at the time who were just as fast/strong without necessarily burning off their own life.
Yeah, Zoro is killing Luffy by not doing more, but at least he can protect the crew when Luffy is busy.

Luffy instinctively knows who to fight, Zoro does the rest when needed.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

tbp posted:

the "awakening" stuff i think has potential for being kinda bad but i'll reserve judgment until then. i thought doflamingos "turn anything into string" stuff was kinda uninspired

I hope when we do next see a devil fruit awakening it's a bit more esoteric than turning stuff around them into string/mochi/whatever. I kinda want to see more about awakened zoans since there has to be more to it than just stronger/faster/tankier. Either that or what Robin or Brook's fruits could do.

Even though I don't think its ever stated I kinda feel like Kuma (circa Thriller Bark) had an awakened devil fruit; expanding deflecting/rejecting stuff from physical things to concepts like pain/injuries.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

that art is very sick!

Heard an interesting idea that Kaido might be just using his awakened powers as a dragon moan. Interesting idea imo though I personally lean to the dragon theory. it's fun!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ubiquitus posted:

he refused to lie about his name which is one of the coolest things anyone's done this arc, an arc full of extremely cool things

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i like momo's characterization shift since luffy yelled at him on zou

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think a funny reveal would be that luffy can do awakening but it turns out that bouncing his opponents away isn't actually useful so he doesn't use it

idk i've not really thought this thorugh i just find it odd he hasn't done it yet and is learning advanced haki instead

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Momo is like eight years old, there's very little that he CAN do. Holding Onigashima aloft, even temporarily to let people escape the capital, would be super cool though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jose posted:

i think a funny reveal would be that luffy can do awakening but it turns out that bouncing his opponents away isn't actually useful so he doesn't use it

idk i've not really thought this thorugh i just find it odd he hasn't done it yet and is learning advanced haki instead

I kinda want this to happen now.

Luffy awakening his fruit, then just going "this sucks" and turning it off immediately.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's going to be very tragic when Momo trips and falls down stairs, dying instantly

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
im personally down for the growth and arc of momo's character which has already been underway a while and got a real good step w/ his speech to the gathered samurai to be that he hasn't inherited his father's raw strength but is still his father's son in other ways, namely learning to be and becoming a kickin' rad inspiring leader w/ an unbreakable will specifically in spite of and tempered by his weakness and fear. i think that's way cooler and more fitting of everything we've been through with him so far than if he spontaneously taps into his inner dragon and lifts a whole island or murks some hotshot opponent as his hair forms into an anvil or w/e

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

EmmyOk posted:

So people actually think the guy with the multi head fruit is dead like that lol?

He only had one head when it got cut off so I'm willing to put forward the idea that he is, in fact, dead.

I think the further away we get from the decapitation without any mention or possibility that he got back up again, the more likely it is that he's actually dead but hey I'm willing to be proven wrong

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

He only had one head when it got cut off so I'm willing to put forward the idea that he is, in fact, dead.

I think the further away we get from the decapitation without any mention or possibility that he got back up again, the more likely it is that he's actually dead but hey I'm willing to be proven wrong

His main subordinate Fukurokuju was shown conspicuously ducking out earlier and has been missing ever since. That seems like an indication that something might be up.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Countblanc posted:

it's going to be very tragic when Momo trips and falls down stairs, dying instantly

Zoro adds another name to the long list of people killed by his arch nemesis.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

LostRook posted:

His main subordinate Fukurokuju was shown conspicuously ducking out earlier and has been missing ever since. That seems like an indication that something might be up.

It could be, but it also could be he saw the writing was on the wall and just got the gently caress out

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Momo using a power that was just explained as something Dragons can do by turning into a Dragon and using said power is perfectly reasonable story telling.

Especially if it’s to save the Flower Capital.

Could even be Momo and Yamato working together if the whole Kaido is in fact just a dragon thing is true.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

For a character to be killed so brutally so suddenly just doesn't seem like one piece to me and it'd be a very sudden end to his story when he's related to the secret history of wano etc. Just so unlikely that he's actually dead imo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If he is alive do you think he's planning his revenge or hiding scared shitless?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

If he is alive do you think he's planning his revenge or hiding scared shitless?

Can I say both? Scared shitless but planning his revenge seems exactly the sort of thing Orochi would do.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Revenge, I think he's a coward but def the kind of coward who is desperate for revenge. I dunno if he anticipated what Kaido did but perhaps he has CP0 to rely on for example along with the Oniwabanshu ninjas. Like the way he became shogun is very cowardly but venomous so I expect something like that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The other reason I'm thinking Dragon Kaido was Yamato's teeth starting to transform. Could just Abe a fruit ofc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

Revenge, I think he's a coward but def the kind of coward who is desperate for revenge. I dunno if he anticipated what Kaido did but perhaps he has CP0 to rely on for example along with the Oniwabanshu ninjas. Like the way he became shogun is very cowardly but venomous so I expect something like that.

Oh poo poo, if CP0 gets involved that means Kaku and Queen can fight for long neck superiority

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQLPL1qRhn8

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can't believe that Oda will skip out on a traditional sort of awakening like we've seen so far for Luffy, simply because turning the battlefield into rubber opens up so many incredible tactical and artistic possibilities for fight scenes. Seriously, it's just too perfect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Darth Walrus posted:

I can't believe that Oda will skip out on a traditional sort of awakening like we've seen so far for Luffy, simply because turning the battlefield into rubber opens up so many incredible tactical and artistic possibilities for fight scenes. Seriously, it's just too perfect.
Make the island rubber.

Bounce it away.

Bounce it back at Kaido!

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Luffy was also trained by a man who never had a fruit and is still one of the most powerful people in the entire series, so he's going to focus more on what Rayleigh could teach him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

My issue with awakening is that it hasn’t really come up since then, and until it does it just feels like yet another extremely powerful ability Doffy pulled out of his rear end.

If Katakuri did it I don’t remember it. Was it specifically called out in the text or was it just fan speculation?