Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
After watching races to places, my gf and I couldn't stomach more than an episode of LWR. That the others are worse doesn't surprise. Like, I get that it was probably magical back in the day before motovlogs and live dakar feeds, but it hasn't aged well at all. I think it's also the fact that it was easier to suck off some billionaire actors way back in the day. Now I absolutely don't want to watch a bunch of rich boys use their toys poorly and grin at the camera.

I used to work with a GS rider that actually used them for what they say they should be. He would be out doing all day singletrack or multi day motocamping every weekend. Always came in monday pleased with how well the weight was down low, how nicely it walked up hills, the whole deal. Guy could easily outride me offroad any day of the week. Not sure if he was a god on the wheel, or they are low key good adventure bikes.

I need that headlight in my life. The bronx is such a fantastic looking bike. A tricked out FTR1200 can be had brand new for $15k. I think that's the max it's fair for harley to ask, if they want to sell to the market that wants that bike. I'm sure they will price it reasonably, perhaps like the Scout BobahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Coydog fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

e: ^^^^ tisnt the bronx, it's a sportster replacement and will be priced accordingly.

What a big sorted ADV can do in the hands of a master vs what 99% of them actually get used for is very similar to what a Hayabusa can do in the hands of a master vs what they're actually used for.

And then even if you are a master, you'd only use one of those bikes for that activity if you're deliberately trying to challenge yourself, because there are far, far better tools for the job that let you express your skills more.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Coydog posted:

I need that headlight in my life. The bronx is such a fantastic looking bike.

It's beautiful isn't it.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 28, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I just got off the phone with a board member form a local OHV park. He doesn't ride dual sports, but he consulted with another board member who does, and long story short they say my DR650 isn't at all appropriate for the park. Aside from the weight, he said that he's seen lots and lots of dual sports struggle with their suspensions on the rough trails.

Now, he just bought Kawasaki KX250 and says the suspension is fine for their park, so with that as a bench mark, can anyone recommend a small ~250 dual sport that would compare? I suppose the obvious possibility is the KLX250? But I've also heard good things (here) about both the Yamaha WR250R and XT225?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He is talking bollocks your DR will be fine.

Like, to be less snarky: the only 'ideal' bike for that is an actual dirt bike. A smaller road legal enduro won't get you anything over a DR besides less power, the suspension and weight still aren't remotely near an actual dirt bike unless you get a road legal 250F or EXC. If you want to ride there on the road, some compromise in off road capability is baked in. The DR is a pretty good compromise, you won't find anything substantially better in the same category. People do full on enduro events in DR650's all the time, I even know a guy who does and his only mods are a big rear end tank and some quality of life stuff.

If you want better suspension, just improve the DR's stuff for a few hundred bucks, don't buy an entire motorcycle. It's like people have been trained to solve problems by buying stuff.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 29, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Honestly, LWU is good pretty much until they reach central America, and highlighted the highs and lows of dealing with electric bikes in places with very little infrastructure, and had some really great travelogue stuff for places you don't ofvrn see. It's a fun watch. But I really think that by the time they got all the way up to Panama, they were kind of fed up with the whole endeavour and just wanted to get through it, which, after spending close to two months on the road, I totally get.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

He is talking bollocks your DR will be fine.

This is cool in that I don't have to buy another bike, but it's bad in that now it's going to be awkward for me to show up and be like "eh you guys were full of it". I can do that, but maybe only once I actually know what I'm doing and can ride the trails a little as proof.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

And as for charging of generators, I really don't have a problem with that. I mean, some of the places they were going through didn't even have gas, let alone electricity. I don't think it defeated the purpose, because the purpose wasn't to do the whole trip on electricity, it was to go on a fun adventure with your best mate. The electric bikes part really was more of a "well why not?".
One thing I will say in the favour of the Livewires (and any EV bike really), is when you're forced to stop in some random Andean village for 4 hours to charge of someone's wall plug, you're also forced to stop and smell the flowers there. On a gas bike you don't have to spend an afternoon mingling with the locals in some little village, you can just gas up and go.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it may have been the editing but going electric very much became the point. They spent whole hours of the show during the beginning going on about how its the future and doing it to prove it can be done. The stops werent for 4 hours either. They were for 12 hours that didnt result in a full charge so they hooked up the generator and didnt mention where the power came from. You knew though because you could see the truck in the background of most wide shots

i drive a tesla and im all for electric power and i feel like they did a lovely job of showcasing it

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 29, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jack B Nimble posted:

So I just got off the phone with a board member form a local OHV park. He doesn't ride dual sports, but he consulted with another board member who does, and long story short they say my DR650 isn't at all appropriate for the park. Aside from the weight, he said that he's seen lots and lots of dual sports struggle with their suspensions on the rough trails.

Now, he just bought Kawasaki KX250 and says the suspension is fine for their park, so with that as a bench mark, can anyone recommend a small ~250 dual sport that would compare? I suppose the obvious possibility is the KLX250? But I've also heard good things (here) about both the Yamaha WR250R and XT225?

That's absolute bullshit. I mean it would hold you back if you are racing, but if you can set your speed it's fine. I find with the DR650, it's better if you think of it like a tractor. Point it in a direction, don't care so much about the terrain/rocks/weirdness smaller than a basketball, and it pulls through. Tires matter more in this situation, really.

I mean, sure, a WR250R is gonna be way better with equal tires. That's because it's a super small and light with low power.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

it may have been the editing but going electric very much became the point. They spent whole hours of the show during the beginning going on about how its the future and doing it to prove it can be done. The stops werent for 4 hours either. They were for 12 hours that didnt result in a full charge so they hooked up the generator and didnt mention where the power came from. You knew though because you could see the truck in the background of most wide shots

i drive a tesla and im all for electric power and i feel like they did a lovely job of showcasing it

Definitely Patagonia was like that, but as they got further up, they were able to make effective use of domestic power. Sometimes they got stuck though. I think it was being honest. They were all enthusiastic about charging off domestic power all the way, and they had that plug company signed up to install fast chargers along the whole route which I think they showed using maybe once. That company completely dropped the ball and failed on their promises (or promised way too much), which hosed up the logistics quite a bit, and they had to make do with whatever contingency they could, like using the backup generators.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If they'd spent any time at all actually casing their route they would've realized really loving quickly that there's no way in hell ANY company was going to be able to set up fast charging stations for them along any route through South America unless they got the national governments/army of each country to do it, and paid really heavy bribes to make sure it got done.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

If they'd spent any time at all actually casing their route they would've realized really loving quickly that there's no way in hell ANY company was going to be able to set up fast charging stations for them along any route through South America unless they got the national governments/army of each country to do it, and paid really heavy bribes to make sure it got done.

The most glaring logistics shortcoming in the whole operation to me was the whole lack of preparation for customs and immigration. How do you not know in advance about visa requirements? Which passport you should be travelling under? Which border crossing you need to use? Like, they moved some pretty significant mountains to make the whole thing come together only to be completely stumped at some of the border crossings. That's basic travel 101, guys! That's the first thing you need to know!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

This is despite having an army of fixers, lawyers, multiple passports from multiple countries per person and endless money to throw at the visa problems.

Also, re the charger network that was supposed to be built by them across the whole route for everyone in the future to use as well, that charger network was entirely forgotten in the later episodes. Vapourware.

I liked the show actually, but it was more travel blog than electric motorcycle funsies.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fauxtool posted:

The first one was the best and everything after just successively got worse.

The most recent one had them flying/taking a ferry around the darien gap. You know that region that is only traverse-able by offroad vehicles like say motorcycles.

Can I interest you in the actual best, Race to Dakar?

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are the OHV rules? Plated bike required or no plate?

XT/ttr225 and Wr250F (not R) are all good. yz125 if you’re 2t curious.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

I'm still on the hunt for Goldwing. Some lady is selling her late husband's Goldwing for $1200 and it comes with a bonus Silverwing. Anything specific to look at on either besides general upkeep, wear & tear, maintenance?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm assuming the silver wing is a cx500? If so, the water pump is an engine-out replacement and often goes wrong, but they're miserable turds in general so who cares, just sell it on without touching it. Older men than me can tell you about the 1100.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Well, I’m 35, but everywhere online will tell you to do the timing belts and check the water pump. It’s simple stuff, I’ve done it twice - once on a 1000, once on an 1100. No difference. Check that the Schrader valves on the suspension, front and rear, actually function, I guess?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the 30 year old boomer is a real thing in this subforum :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

$1200 for two complete Hondas is hard to pass on imo

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah idk about 30 year old boomer, but there’s definitely circumstances where one would be glad to get that much bike for $1200.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a millennial I can say that the true boomer Goldwings are brand new models converted to trikes

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
a new goldwing trike
fenderless, drag radials
maybe more power?

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

captainOrbital posted:

a new goldwing trike
fenderless, drag radials
maybe more power?

A Japanese poem for a Japanese bike?

I'm going on Sunday with truck and trailer and cash.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

$1200 for two complete Hondas is hard to pass on imo

It's super easy if the honda is an oldwing. What is wrong with you people?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is now the Honda haiku headquarters.

Big Hondas, old men
Small Hondas, always the best
Sum of it's parts? More!

Single sided arm,
Vee four engine tingles crotch,
But it's a Honda :/

Good in the eighties,
loving rad in the nineties,
Now just lame white goods

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honda Haiku Headquarters is a good candidate for the forum name after Christmas Asylum expires on the 26th

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I second that

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Big Hondas, old men
Small Hondas, always the best
Sum of it's parts? More!

Single sided arm,

Good in the eighties,
loving rad in the nineties,
Now just lame white goods

Dakar is coming
Honda's warming wiring
sparkling alight

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Coydog posted:

It's super easy if the honda is an oldwing. What is wrong with you people?!

I have $1200 to spend on a touring bike in the Chicagoland area. What should I buy?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As a millennial I can say that the true boomer Goldwings are brand new models converted to trikes

OP should buy both bikes and convert the CX into a powered sidecar.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

hoho`win posted:

I have $1200 to spend on a touring bike in the Chicagoland area. What should I buy?

A beater EX250 and a laminar lip screen. But fair point. Assuming that oldwing is running and you don't need to put money into it, fine. But you will so your question is "I have $2200 to spend on a touring bike in the chicagoland area" which widens your options.

Everyone always forgets what it's gonna cost to get a dormant old bike running. Especially if you want to take it long distances.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 3, 2020

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

hoho`win posted:

I'm still on the hunt for Goldwing. Some lady is selling her late husband's Goldwing for $1200 and it comes with a bonus Silverwing. Anything specific to look at on either besides general upkeep, wear & tear, maintenance?

Getting the rear wheel off and on mine to replace the tire was a lovely grunty job I wouldn't want to do again soon so make sure the tires are newish. Definitely sell the Silverwing (can maybe get $800 for it depending on title and running condition) you don't want to mess with the Honda flying vees. If the Wing has been ridden in the last 5-10 years but garaged I wouldn't be too worried about things deteriorating.

However, all of this is going to depend on the purpose for the bike, when all is said and done it is still nearly a 40 year old motorcycle. You might have 50k trouble free miles, you might not. $1200 is a good price for a fun tinker bike. If you can stand the look, general blandness, and can pony up the extra cash you can find ST1300's (FI) in the $3k range.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Dakar is coming
Honda's warming wiring
sparkling alight

Like a triumph with a misfire you're a couple syllables short there.

Title number seven,
Marquez humerus go pop,
Alex shits himself

On a Honda bike,
You meet the nicest people,
Is it cool? Yeah nah

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
decrepit dad bike
one hundred thousand miles down
and yet it still runs

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Why-er-een
Spar-kull-een

Do I just have a drawl?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Why-er-een
Spar-kull-een

Do I just have a drawl?

Hu-ah-ee-ku-suh
Ain't so hard tuh be wry-tin
If'n yer suth-ern

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

Single sided arm,

Man I really wanted a vfr for a while, I still kind of do tbh, for the important reasons you succinctly covered! I am a huge loving sucker for single sided swingarms I tell you whut.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honda Haiku Headquarters is a good candidate for the forum name after Christmas Asylum expires on the 26th

MomJeans420 posted:

I second that

:sushiyes:

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 3, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

A beater EX250 and a laminar lip screen. But fair point. Assuming that oldwing is running and you don't need to put money into it, fine. But you will so your question is "I have $2200 to spend on a touring bike in the chicagoland area" which widens your options.

Everyone always forgets what it's gonna cost to get a dormant old bike running. Especially if you want to take it long distances.

As someone who took a dormant old Goldwing from storage to running just last year here is what I needed to do:

1) usual used bike stuff, oil, coolant, etc
2) timing belts. No records means no idea how old they are. The 1200 takes two of them and they are $7 a piece on amazon lol
3) brake fluid flush
4) carb cleaning
5) final drive oil
6) fresh battery

This is HUGELY “your mileage may vary” because dusty old bikes are all very different but my particular wing had been sitting in a barn for years. I rode it an hour home with the choke on after swapping my sv650 battery into it and only after did I discover there was a mouse nest and dead mouse in the airbox.

Mostly the big cost for me was time. Luckily I was unemployed at the time so I had a ton of time to throw at it.

I will say that the 1986 1200 Goldwing is shockingly well built for the era. These weren’t cheap bikes and were the nicest thing you could get from Honda at the time. The ravages of time seem to affect them the least imo. I’d imagine this extends to the 1100’s as well

The hardest stuff to solve is electrical. Not because it’s poorly made, quite the opposite actually, but because it’s all tucked and wedged in behind fairings and hard to get to if you need to.

After the initial run through of all its issues, it’s been mostly quality of life stuff like a cigarette lighter adapter, a knockoff laminar lip and a front tire this past summer. I spent $80 on replacing the Hall effect sensor for the speedometer but I did that to myself because the sensor was fine and it was actually the Speedo drive in the wheel that was bent. The real fix was bending it back with pliers and I spent $80 I didn’t need to in order to learn that the hard way

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Which would you prefer
Meeting the nicest people
Or a bike with soul