Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Funky Valentine posted:

Everyone's getting the poo poo kicked out of them by an Elvis song so Yausho is calling in a motorcycle to fix everything.

This is extremely jjba but I'm just not sure I can read it monthly lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you'll be waiting a bit longer, then. it's definitely reaching some sort of climax but it's still going to be a little while.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jose posted:

This is extremely jjba but I'm just not sure I can read it monthly lol

Honestly nobody really knows for certain where we're at except Araki himself. The currently ongoing fight may very well be the final one; there's no obvious villains remaining except the current one, and the whole rokakaka locacaca fruit thing is coming to a head in a way that's been built-up for several arcs. On the other hand, many people feel like the current fight doesn't really "feel" like a Jojo Final Boss fight; there's no time shenanigans (though there are spatial ones, which arguably that's what D4C did) and the villain hasn't had much of a personal connection with the cast.

Still no sign of flashback guy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jose posted:

i stopped following jojolion ages ago whats its status now? like maybe 20 chapters in if that

By my estimation it's at around the point where Kira was introduced in part 4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Who's flashback guy again?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Electric Phantasm posted:

Who's flashback guy again?

From the first major fight in Part 8

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if that dude doesn't show up i don't ever want to hear anyone criticize the Araki Forgot joke ever again

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Patware posted:

if that dude doesn't show up i don't ever want to hear anyone criticize the Araki Forgot joke ever again

my guess is it was some early design for josefumi but i am leaving room to be surprised

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Patware posted:

it's still insanely, weirdly insulting to say the dude who's been writing a series for 30+ years and spends probably near every day thinking about it in some form just up and forgets poo poo like he has alzheimers or something when in reality he probably just changes poo poo on the fly every now and then because it works better for the story. the guy is pretty candid about certain things, like not even knowing what he was going to do for the ultimate villain in part 4 until about halfway through, so i don't really see a reason to invent ways to imply the guy is an idiot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think anyone making the Araki Forgot joke is actually suggesting that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there absolutely are people who have 100% meant that. i'm not limiting it to this forum or whatever, for the record.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

everything said, i still don't know what the gently caress was up with the weird aliens crawling out of people in part 5's final stretch and i think that's part of why i heavily dislike it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think anyone actually suggesting he has Alzheimer's is an outlier and can be safely ignored/mocked

Ime "Araki forgot" had always been a gentle rib, fully cognizant of his crazy work ethic and schedule. Literally anyone pumping out a great manga on his schedule for years on end would probably forget bits here and there along the way

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 3, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

everything said, i still don't know what the gently caress was up with the weird aliens crawling out of people in part 5's final stretch and i think that's part of why i heavily dislike it

it was aliens op

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Funky Valentine posted:

Everyone's getting the poo poo kicked out of them by an Elvis song so Yausho is calling in a motorcycle to fix everything.

also i enjoyed this description of the current status a great deal

the curtain is falling on a truly bizarre adventure

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

but how does this relate to mikitaka in part 4

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Johnny Joestar posted:

It was something about how that was the next step in human evolution, wasn't it? You could argue it thematically fits with "evolution" since that's what the arrow does to a stand, but that doesn't really make that final part any less of a giant mess.

I still have yet to read any of part 8 and this thread has been a good way of knowing to temper my expectations. As far as a mysterious guy that never shows up, Araki has drastically changed designs before so I would probably just assume he's someone you already saw.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

but how does this relate to mikitaka in part 4

? he's also an alien, like from outer space

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I think anyone actually suggesting he has Alzheimer's is an outlier and can be safely ignored/mocked

Ime "Araki forgot" had always been a gentle rib, fully cognizant of his crazy work ethic and schedule. Literally anyone pumping out a great manga on his schedule for years on end would probably forget bits here and there along the way

I like how Oda does it, where someone reminds him of something he forgot and then he ends using it for something later down the line.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

? he's also an alien, like from outer space

i want to make a game theory youtube video about how mikitaka is responsible for the alien things crawling out of people in part 5's ending sequence and it's going to get millions of views

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

overmind2000 posted:

I called it a "stand" after "light stands," the type that sit beside your bed in a "looming" manner when you read.

what the gently caress

Everyone: “They’re called stands because they’re allies that ‘stand beside’ you, and it’s also another one of Araki’s famous musical references to the classic song Stand By Me by Ben E. King”

Araki: “They’re like a lamp.”

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
"araki forgot" is definitely a meme, and usually said mostly jokingly among the fanbase. The problem is that casual fans don't realize it's a joke, and I've seen several people say they don't want to give the series a chance because "the author just forgets plot lines" - the meme gives the impression that the story is sloppy and doesn't matter.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'll never apologize for Araki Forgot

i'm reading jojolion month-by-month, i deserve to joke about Araki Forgetting god damnit

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

CodfishCartographer posted:

From the first major fight in Part 8

If he had those weird hair bubbles he would kind of look like the younger version of Norisuke we saw in chapter 99. Maybe he's an early design for Jobin but probably not because he was introduced in the next chapter.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 3, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Pigbuster posted:

what the gently caress

Everyone: “They’re called stands because they’re allies that ‘stand beside’ you, and it’s also another one of Araki’s famous musical references to the classic song Stand By Me by Ben E. King”

Araki: “They’re like a lamp.”

The number of things in JoJo that end up not having a symbolic/significant meaning is quite high. For example, people saying that Dio is in Egypt because he was under the sea for one hundred years and wants to be as far away from the ocean as possible when in reality

Araki posted:

my editor is a man I respect as a severe teacher and also a god. He was the one that decided that Dio should be in Egypt since he loved Egypt and was very knowledgeable of it.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 3, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hasn't Araki been asked about story inconsistencies before and his answer was literally "I forgot"?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Araki probably forgot certain things in ways that don't effect the overall plot that much, and he definitely has consciously chosen to drop some things in favor of new ideas. However, anyone who thinks that "Araki forgot" the stranger who saved Josuke is unforgivable

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

RatHat posted:

Hasn't Araki been asked about story inconsistencies before and his answer was literally "I forgot"?
He has gone on record saying when he goes back to reading old Parts, he feels like he's reading it for the first time himself and doesn't recall that he wrote a lot of it. So he definitely has something going on with his memory, but most of the "Araki Forgot" points are people not understanding the context or just making stuff up.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

“Araki changed his mind” is probably more accurate most of the time.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

"Araki got bored"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

By my estimation it's at around the point where Kira was introduced in part 4

There's no way we're only halfway through part 8 right now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

There's no way we're only halfway through part 8 right now.

You say that but we have Jobin and his mother still alive and well and it looks like the Good Doctor is about to eat poo poo. Turns out all this is just the Jojolion equivalent of the Red Hot Chili Peppers arc.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

Chariot was running solely on "keep any human being from ever touching the arrow" at that point. "Removing the human race worldwide from the equation" was just a particularly aggro interpretation of that mandate, cuz Requiem be a crazy bitch.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

You say that but we have Jobin and his mother still alive and well and it looks like the Good Doctor is about to eat poo poo. Turns out all this is just the Jojolion equivalent of the Red Hot Chili Peppers arc.

Brought To You By posted:

Jobin still alive and well

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RIP Jobin owned by WD40

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i know there's a lot of interpretations people can make if they want but there's literally no scenario where jojolion isn't at like an absolute bare minimum 80-85% done at this point, and that's handily allowing for cato to pop in at some point here soon

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

what if we just pile the whole loving higashikata family into a wall eye with a bucket of rokakaka juice

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

i know there's a lot of interpretations people can make if they want but there's literally no scenario where jojolion isn't at like an absolute bare minimum 80-85% done at this point, and that's handily allowing for cato to pop in at some point here soon

Yeah, hasn't it passed up SBR in terms of page-count? If so it's currently the longest part, trying to say it's only halfway done seems like a real stretch hoping for a more iconic villain than "fuckboy ex who was raised by bees"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

It would be funny if this were just another mini climax like Damo and there's still another three years of random encounters around Morioh after this before the endgame actually starts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tooru doens't know that Norisuke is already dead. I refuse to believe this will stick for Jobin.