Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't really see anything wrong with lying to some big property management company one way or the other honestly. It's not like you'd be parading it around the grocery store trying to keep up the notion that it's a therapy dog.

But yea I'd sooner just say it's some other breed on the paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Sorry I misspoke, I wasn’t going to lie about the service certification, I was under the impression it was a legit cert and upon further research i have learned that they are scam certs and a true service dog takes lots of time and money to train. I just want to find a place for my dog to live with us, it’s hard to lie about her breed because she is pitbull.jpg

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Sorry I misspoke, I wasn’t going to lie about the service certification, I was under the impression it was a legit cert and upon further research i have learned that they are scam certs and a true service dog takes lots of time and money to train. I just want to find a place for my dog to live with us, it’s hard to lie about her breed because she is pitbull.jpg

“Mixed-breed lab” boom done. The odds of anyone actually checking are slim to none. gently caress landlords.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yeah, those piss me off to no end, especially when you can see that the dog has no training whatsoever. I've been tempted to start arguments several times when seeing those fake service dogs, especially knowing how much work goes into training the 'real' ones.

I'm working on therapy dog 2.0 and everyone is SHOCKED! when he sits and stays and does all the typical basic obedience because he's just a baby. He's very good. I have to explain so many times that he doesn't know anything near what my probably-now-retired therapy dog 1.0 does.

but he will.

And that's therapy dogs, not service dogs.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Something I've learned from having a reactive (though very sweet) pup is that a huge number of people don't bother to train their dogs, and also don't seem to put much effort or thought into walking them. Our girl thinks other dogs are the most exciting and scary thing on Earth and that's forced us to be a little creative with training and walking her, but the payoff is she gets to impress people with her listening skills!

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I adopted a puppy about a week ago and she is great. She is learning to go outside to the bathroom, is learning to sit, generally likes her crate and is just very sweet. There is one thing that I am not certain how to work on though. Sometimes when we go outside she will be insistent on going right back in or not going in the direction I want her to. She will pull on the leash in the direction she wants. I dont pull back, but if I just stand there she will pull until she is choking herself. Sometimes she will follow me if I hold a treat out and walk, but not if she really wants to go back inside. I know she needs to go to the bathroom, but she is being stubborn. Whats the smartest thing to do here?

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have advice for giving eye drops? My pup has got an eye infection and the vet prescriped eye drops. Usually to get her to let us do things, we use peanut butter on a spoon where my wife will hold it and I'll cut her nails or whatever. But she will not let us do the eye drops, she goes nuts and won't let me come close while holding the dropper. We tried giving vienna sausage as a super special treat and we got one drop in and then wouldn't let us get a second drop in. Wondering if anybody has ideas for super distracting treats or something.

pup tax

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Poopelyse posted:

Does anyone have advice for giving eye drops? My pup has got an eye infection and the vet prescriped eye drops. Usually to get her to let us do things, we use peanut butter on a spoon where my wife will hold it and I'll cut her nails or whatever. But she will not let us do the eye drops, she goes nuts and won't let me come close while holding the dropper. We tried giving vienna sausage as a super special treat and we got one drop in and then wouldn't let us get a second drop in. Wondering if anybody has ideas for super distracting treats or something.

pup tax

Do what you're doing but also grab a blanket and wrap her up in it beforehand and she can't squirm away. Our dog is a contortionist but the blanket works wonders (and she seems more comforted by it)

String cheese strips work well for our dog because we can slowly dole it out while she munches

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Poopelyse posted:

pup tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJkdwoOA-0c

Get the dog in this position first. You can rise up on your knees a little and lean forward so the dog's rump slides further back under you for better restraint if you need. Your thighs should be flanking the dog's rump & back legs with your belly/chest pressed on to its back. Use one hand to wrap around the dog's chest and the other to cradle it's head & press it into your chest so that it can't wriggle left/right. Your wife can then administer the eye drops quickly. Your pup won't like it but if you can get it over with quickly it doesn't matter.

The trick is to really cradle the dog and remove its ability to wriggle backwards/left right.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Awesome thanks y'all! We'll give it a try the next eye drop time

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I adopted a puppy about a week ago and she is great. She is learning to go outside to the bathroom, is learning to sit, generally likes her crate and is just very sweet. There is one thing that I am not certain how to work on though. Sometimes when we go outside she will be insistent on going right back in or not going in the direction I want her to. She will pull on the leash in the direction she wants. I dont pull back, but if I just stand there she will pull until she is choking herself. Sometimes she will follow me if I hold a treat out and walk, but not if she really wants to go back inside. I know she needs to go to the bathroom, but she is being stubborn. Whats the smartest thing to do here?

Is this by chance a scent hound?

I have to carry mine if I want to go certain directions on certain days. They can out stubborn me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My hound is similarly stubborn^^ I have a few different routes I walk her on, depending on the weather or my schedule or whatever, and every single time I turn onto the shortest route she stops dead in her tracks and pulls in a different direction. I don't have to full-blown carry her, but the leash does require a firm pull to get her to come. Then in the summer she just constantly falls over in the grass to protest going home / inside.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My hound makes sure I know what direction she wants to go.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is this by chance a scent hound?

I have to carry mine if I want to go certain directions on certain days. They can out stubborn me.

No, her snout is too short. Shes a typical rescue pit-mix mutt. Shes just a little stubborn and needs to be trained out of it. But so far the leash walking is going to be the most difficult thing to train her to do. I am thinking that i hold out a treat, and when she walks towards it I give it to her. The thing is that I dont want her to think she gets the treat when she is refusing to move or pull in the wrong direction, because then I use it to get her to come with me. And then when she gets the treat she goes back to being a butthead. I feel like i'm doing something wrong.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I have an 8 month old lab/hound mix who loving LOVES to chew. Thankfully he usually chews on appropriate things. But he has no interest at all in kongs, and I need something durable that he won't be able to destroy in literally a night. Any suggestions?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nylabones? They work well for my dog.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nylabones? They work well for my dog.

He hasn't really touched his.

I was thinking more of a toy. Something he can try to "kill" but not actually be able to.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Frozen peanut butter in the kong would be my next suggestion.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He hasn't really touched his.

I was thinking more of a toy. Something he can try to "kill" but not actually be able to.

I got my puppy a nerf dog football and it's held up for a week now. He's killed everything else in mere days.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

nylabones are great to get obstructions and choking hazards.

try frozen chewing toys, like the cloth flat bone ones. also, see if you can hit up a butcher and find a beef femur or something, raw. Freeze it. Give it to murdermouth for a half hour or so, scrape off the meat that's been gnawed at, and refreeze it. if you don't let it thaw and your dog doesn't go so hard it tears up its teeth, those things can be great. You just gotta watch the dog while they have it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I feel your pain, my murder mouth isn't interested in chewies that he can't actually rip up so the Kong doesn't do it for him. Marrow Bones are sometimes too hard and while he will work them down over time they aren't necessarily a "I'll drop what I'm doing and chew this for half an hour" either because he doesn't get the satisfaction of ripping them up.

The Frozen Kong thing is great though. We toss his kibble in some wet food and then pack it in there and freeze it and that gets a solid 30 minutes out of him come meal time.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Bully sticks?
Also our dog hates nylabones but loves the "petstages" faux antler and wood chew toys that are similar to nylabones but flavored like wood and antler

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:sigh: I forgot to lock the fridge after making breakfast before work, today. So again my hound got to feast on 8 raw eggs, half a pound of cheese, and half a pound of ham. I slowcooked a pot roast over night and chopped it up in the morning, fortunately I just threw it all into 1 bag and brought it into work rather than a small bag for work and the rest in the fridge, otherwise she would've eaten all 3 pounds of roast too.

She took the eggs to my bed. Egg/dog slobber soaked through the cover, bed sheet, fitted sheet and mattress protector. I know it's my own fault for forgetting to lock the fridge, but dudes I am so loving tired of this and I have no idea how to train her out of it. Like yea I can leave the fridge unlocked and leave for 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes... But she's a smart dog, she'll learn my car is gone = food time.

Just been a frustrating day all around and this was not what I wanted to come home to.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sab669 posted:

:sigh: I forgot to lock the fridge after making breakfast before work, today. So again my hound got to feast on 8 raw eggs, half a pound of cheese, and half a pound of ham. I slowcooked a pot roast over night and chopped it up in the morning, fortunately I just threw it all into 1 bag and brought it into work rather than a small bag for work and the rest in the fridge, otherwise she would've eaten all 3 pounds of roast too.

She took the eggs to my bed. Egg/dog slobber soaked through the cover, bed sheet, fitted sheet and mattress protector. I know it's my own fault for forgetting to lock the fridge, but dudes I am so loving tired of this and I have no idea how to train her out of it. Like yea I can leave the fridge unlocked and leave for 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes... But she's a smart dog, she'll learn my car is gone = food time.

Just been a frustrating day all around and this was not what I wanted to come home to.

I've never had a dog big enough to get into the fridge, but maybe a fridge lock that automatically locks would be in order so you don't have to train yourself and the dog at the same time. Unfortunately the only ones I see online are for side closing fridges but maybe that'd work. The real downside is having to have a hand free to push it each time:
https://smile.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Freezer-Toddler-Install-Adhesive/dp/B07ZPWLB49/
https://smile.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Freezer-Toddler-Cabinet-Adhesive/dp/B08LW3RQTD/
https://smile.amazon.com/EUDEMON-Refrigerator-Freezer-Toddler-Adhesive/dp/B07SK5BRDL/

I could also see denying the dog access to the kitchen while you're gone but that's another option that depends on the layout of your place, not everywhere has access doors to close to keep pets out.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was not aware of self-locking locks, thank you for the idea. I'll have to look into those.

I only forget maybe two or three times a year, but when I do man is it frustrating. And then naturally she got sick over night and poo poo all over the place. So I just ran into work to grab my laptop so I could work from home today and of course she pooped again before I could get back.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

I feel your pain, my murder mouth isn't interested in chewies that he can't actually rip up so the Kong doesn't do it for him. Marrow Bones are sometimes too hard and while he will work them down over time they aren't necessarily a "I'll drop what I'm doing and chew this for half an hour" either because he doesn't get the satisfaction of ripping them up.

The Frozen Kong thing is great though. We toss his kibble in some wet food and then pack it in there and freeze it and that gets a solid 30 minutes out of him come meal time.

Oh oh oh! He wants rippy ripy! Get him some pet-safe rabbit skins.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Just FYI, Sherlock is an intense chewer. Like a destroyer of things. I used to give him Yaks milk cheese treats bc they kept him busy and he really enjoyed them. This year we decided he should have his teeth cleaned and shortly thereafter, the vet told me that he had a broken tooth and had to have it pulled (we booked the appointment then).

I got a call from the vet while he was doing the cleaning and extraction. Those yaks milk cheese and his intensity at chewing destroyed his teeth. Multiple tooth fractures. Five teeth had to come out. Thankfully, he will feel a lot better. Poor guy was probably really uncomfortable.

So long story short. I will be a lot more careful going forward.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Holy crap, thanks for the warning. Nova loves those things too, and she just powers through them like they’re nothing. Maybe we will switch to... I don’t know what, exactly. Can’t do the softer things because she sheers off big chunks and then swallows them and then pukes it back up again.

Rabbit skins, you say? Where would one acquire that for a dog?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Has anyone had their dog start shedding way more than normal after giving them a bath? Lab mix so I expect shedding but this has seemed excessive. It was his second bath using Burt's Bees Natural and he didn't shed like this after the first. Not sure if it's a seasonal thing though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My dog always sheds more than usual after each bath. :shrug:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dango Bango posted:

Has anyone had their dog start shedding way more than normal after giving them a bath? Lab mix so I expect shedding but this has seemed excessive. It was his second bath using Burt's Bees Natural and he didn't shed like this after the first. Not sure if it's a seasonal thing though.

Could be seasonal. My shepherd is shedding like crazy right now going into winter.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bathing your dog opens up the coat and removes any grease so the trapped undercoat will fall out more for a while after the bath/grooming making it look like they're shedding more. It's really common, especially after de-shed grooms.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

While we're on the topic of bathing dogs does anyone have any recommendations for shampoo I can use on my Carin terrier? They have a wiry outer coat so you're supposed to use a hard coated shampoo from what I've read. I know its better to not bathe at all but my dog loves to roll on things outside. I do my best to stop him before he starts but sometimes I am not quick enough. Some of those shampoos are expensive so I don't want to waste money.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Bathing your dog opens up the coat and removes any grease so the trapped undercoat will fall out more for a while after the bath/grooming making it look like they're shedding more. It's really common, especially after de-shed grooms.

This especially makes sense since I got him a lot better lathered up and cleaned this time compared to the first.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Alterian posted:

While we're on the topic of bathing dogs does anyone have any recommendations for shampoo I can use on my Carin terrier? They have a wiry outer coat so you're supposed to use a hard coated shampoo from what I've read. I know its better to not bathe at all but my dog loves to roll on things outside. I do my best to stop him before he starts but sometimes I am not quick enough. Some of those shampoos are expensive so I don't want to waste money.

I've been using the Chris Christensen Spectrum One shampoo on my cattle dog, which are supposed to have crisp, coarse coats, and I like it a lot. It is spendy but a little goes a long way and she smells good for a long time afterwards even after her constant mud wallowing. I've heard the Isle of Dogs No. 33 Coarse Coat shampoo is good too but it was only available in a huge jug when I was buying and I didn't want that much shampoo.

Swamp thing for reference

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My pup is driving me a little nuts by whining first thing in the morning every morning.

Every evening I walk him around 11 PM, then crate him as I settle into bed. I get up on an 8 AM alarm every morning, but by 7 AM he's whining and crying nonstop until I let him roam freely. He sleeps through the night just fine, doesn't otherwise seem to mind the crate, and the crate is all of 5 feet away from the bed, so I don't know what the big deal is. I used to try to hush him until 8, then I tried ignoring him, but neither seems to have any effect. Is 9 hours overnight too long to spend in a crate? He's held his pee for longer, and when I do let him out he seems disinterested in actually going outside.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

cailleask posted:

Holy crap, thanks for the warning. Nova loves those things too, and she just powers through them like they’re nothing. Maybe we will switch to... I don’t know what, exactly. Can’t do the softer things because she sheers off big chunks and then swallows them and then pukes it back up again.

Rabbit skins, you say? Where would one acquire that for a dog?

Sherlock does the puke up and re eat thing as well. It’s so gross. I think we will have to stick with that. The dental was on the day that I posted the comment you quoted so this whole thread was rather timely.

Sherlock is seven and honestly the yaks milk cheeses were the only thing that had any lasting power for him, too, other than thick beef tendons. The thin ones he powers through.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Having some trouble with a 8mo dog my wife and I rescued about 5 weeks ago. He was born in a shelter, transferred, adopted, and surrendered before he came to us(some of this was obscured when we initially got him). He's good around people, at least in this quarantine lifestyle, and walks great in a pack. Our other dog was a couch potato for the last few years and he addition has really livened her up, she loves playing with the puppy. The problem is he keeps biting us. He can go from a loving, wiggly puppy to a feral dog in seconds and there are few links in the behavior. He can't be in the bedroom as he seeks and resource guards socks or the bed. He has some sleep aggression and does not like being woken up and can fly into a rage if he is jostled when he is dosing. My wife is upset and frustrated because he bit her twice today. I can still train this out of him, right?

the culprit

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Our pup, we're praying, has finally broken past a stubborn phase with the crate. She's a little over 12 months old and we spent months 10-12 with her being difficult to convince to go into her crate. She'd be quiet after crating in the daytime but would whine for 30-60 minutes every night before finally settling down. It's a Festivus miracle!

Now if we can get her to stop barking at every foreign noise in the house and stop counter surfing when we're cooking, she'd be a paragon of virtue.

Tired pup - she has eyes, I promise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Schwza posted:

Having some trouble with a 8mo dog my wife and I rescued about 5 weeks ago. He was born in a shelter, transferred, adopted, and surrendered before he came to us(some of this was obscured when we initially got him). He's good around people, at least in this quarantine lifestyle, and walks great in a pack. Our other dog was a couch potato for the last few years and he addition has really livened her up, she loves playing with the puppy. The problem is he keeps biting us. He can go from a loving, wiggly puppy to a feral dog in seconds and there are few links in the behavior. He can't be in the bedroom as he seeks and resource guards socks or the bed. He has some sleep aggression and does not like being woken up and can fly into a rage if he is jostled when he is dosing. My wife is upset and frustrated because he bit her twice today. I can still train this out of him, right?

the culprit

Are these nips or actual bites? Is he exhibiting any warning behavior or going straight to biting? 5 weeks isn’t a super long time so he is still adjusting, especially if he’s been shipped around a bit.