Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

? I have grow lights, but those arent my tomatoes and I think they would be bummed if I harvest their tomatoes. I was just cheering on a perinneal pal who maybe doesnt know about lights or cant afford them or whatever other reason :)

whoops I guess I quoted the wrong person, but hopefully vortmax is clever enough to figure out that I was referring to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Threads slow this time of year, all good. Not enough light for our plant brains. Here we go vortmax here we go!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
vortmax post the toiletpropagate the tomatoes you coward!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It sounds like you two need to go irrationally start some new growing projects in your bathroom or closet or something. Microgreens, radishes, random sprouting ginger piece, left over whites from grocery store green onions, or maybe start some long beans to grow around a support structure that you decorate like a christmas tree, but use LEDs so each of the leaves gets random light from all over (this idea is only half terrible).

There's no such thing as too many plants in your house...?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Jhet posted:

left over whites from grocery store green onions
I did this in a pot in the kitchen window and got several harvests before they quit coming back. I should restart them.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Threads slow this time of year, all good. Not enough light for our plant brains. Here we go vortmax here we go!

It is slow. I was disappointed all the people making fun of my apple tree didn’t show back up. It’s getting cold here and I have two more things to get done outside. I don’t know if they’ll gent done by end of year sadly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I wasn’t paying attention to the weather and we got a frost last night and all my basil is blackened mush now :negative:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I wasn’t paying attention to the weather and we got a frost last night and all my basil is blackened mush now :negative:

The worst feeling.

I haven't had any freezes yet, but I did get a frost. All my greens and radishes survived this no problem, but they keep getting dug around by the squirrels. I hate squirrels, but I have plants growing (slowly) still. It's a really strange experience. I'll probably eat the greens that did survive soon, and that will be the end of it. Next year I'll have beds again and I'll have to make some frames for all my peppers to live in next to the house. Maybe I'll see about just putting in a greenhouse in the space instead.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jhet posted:

It sounds like you two need to go irrationally start some new growing projects in your bathroom or closet or something. Microgreens, radishes, random sprouting ginger piece, left over whites from grocery store green onions, or maybe start some long beans to grow around a support structure that you decorate like a christmas tree, but use LEDs so each of the leaves gets random light from all over (this idea is only half terrible).

There's no such thing as too many plants in your house...?

Did you see my post in horticulture thread?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We covered the garden with a few pallets worth of cleaned up cardboard and hopefully the weeds will be at least controllable next year. We ended up not spraying and I couldn't convince myself to go for the pre-emergent either. Really what needs to happen is my useless children should be helping stay on top of it more but teenagers, whining, etc.

It used to be punishment to go weed when they were little, maybe that's where I hosed up.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

Did you see my post in horticulture thread?

I don't check it that often, my jam is things that I can eat. But I did look and you still need more plants. Only once you can do nothing to eat without putting something in a tray full of potting soil will you have reached peak concentration and then you can look around the indoor world you created and breath that good home made boutique oxygen.

I've only started hydro- parsley, ginger, and, rosemary cuttings in the last couple months, but they're doing great and only the ginger is enormous. I should also hack up (divide) the monsteras, but there are already two of them and I don't want more unless I can find a way to give them away because I can't eat them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jhet posted:

I don't check it that often, my jam is things that I can eat. But I did look and you still need more plants. Only once you can do nothing to eat without putting something in a tray full of potting soil will you have reached peak concentration and then you can look around the indoor world you created and breath that good home made boutique oxygen.

I've only started hydro- parsley, ginger, and, rosemary cuttings in the last couple months, but they're doing great and only the ginger is enormous. I should also hack up (divide) the monsteras, but there are already two of them and I don't want more unless I can find a way to give them away because I can't eat them.

lol, agreed in the abstract, but I have many, many, many more plants than those goon sir.

Apropos of monstera, my adansonii is getting a ton of yellowed leaves, particularly at the pot/base of the vines. A bunch of those were actually strangled/broken by vine growth and I've since trellised up some of the heavier vines and pruned out the broken or smashed leaves. But in terms of over/under watering I still seem to be loving the plant up somehow. I started watering weekly then moved to 10 days/biweekly (but that seemed too little and it would wilt in between waterings) so I switched to trying to only water when the plant tells me its thirsty with leaf droop/wilting.

It doesn't look like it's light based or related to rootbinding but that's where I'm headed next, aside from continuing to try to fine tune the watering. I'm scared and frustrated because it spent its first few months looking excellent and putting on mass and now I'm afraid it's going to wind up all threadbare and scraggly or worse.

Edit: this is the wrong thread for this. I think I was blinded by your big monstera post

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 4, 2020

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m in zone six and had first frost at least a month ago, maybe more. It killed my sweet potato vine line like it was nothing. I’ll keep your basil in mind for next year if I decide to grow any.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Earth posted:

I’m in zone six and had first frost at least a month ago, maybe more. It killed my sweet potato vine line like it was nothing. I’ll keep your basil in mind for next year if I decide to grow any.

Everyone should MOST DEFINITELY grow some basil every year imo its very easy and very tasty

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Everyone should MOST DEFINITELY grow some basil every year imo its very easy and very tasty

We've been doing Hello Fresh to try new dishes and there's been a few that we've had recipes which call for fresh Thai basil. I'm going to probably try to grow that next year at least. As long as I can find the seeds/starter for it.

Instead of posting again I'll edit this one and ask if anyone here watches the Epic Gardening guy? He's been building his "epic homestead" in San Diego and I just watched him build up his raised beds. Does anyone use those beds he has, or does anyone try to fill the beds with the same soil mixture he used?

Earth fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 4, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Earth posted:

We've been doing Hello Fresh to try new dishes and there's been a few that we've had recipes which call for fresh Thai basil. I'm going to probably try to grow that next year at least. As long as I can find the seeds/starter for it.

Just grow it indoors now, should work fine, if slow due to lack of sunlight. Obviously needs maximum light & warmth, but it’s not much different to grow vs normal basil.

I keep my basil & coriander (cilantro) going over winter inside.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

wooger posted:

Just grow it indoors now, should work fine, if slow due to lack of sunlight. Obviously needs maximum light & warmth, but it’s not much different to grow vs normal basil.

I keep my basil & coriander (cilantro) going over winter inside.

We grow nothing inside because we have cats. Also, I keep my house cold by most peoples standards, 65 degrees is what the thermostat is at. Then in various parts of the house it can get just under 60. For example, by the windows it can be that cold because my windows are ancient.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I have so much basil growing from seed. I got packets free over the summer at a supermarket of all places (they were doing a “Garden with your kids during covid and teach them where food comes from” dealie) and planted them plot-style in a spare bonsai training pot. I’ve recently had to give the whole crop a shortening chop and now currently trying to root the cuttings that I haven’t harvested for seasoning.

Grow basil and esp get your kids to grow basil so they grow up feeling good about gardening and they don’t mess with your real plants.

My roommate has some holy basil in a pot that spent the summer outside and looks gorgeous with purple and green growth, and makes me want to start collecting different kinds of basil cultivars

Edit: 65 is fine for basil. That shits outside when it hits like 40. If the cat nibbles some of it who cares, it’s basil.

I feel like you’re looking for reasons not to do literally the easiest, lowest effort home gardening project which is growing basil. ESP if it’s still consistently hitting the 50s in your area and you could reasonably bring the pot outside for some real sun.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 4, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I had three kinds of basil on my roof this year (I'm in NYC) and I noticed the gutter was clogged when I saw over a dozen baby basil plants were beginning to grow out of it. I had been actively cutting the flowers off too, just missed a few. Basil is powerful.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I want to do a metal raised bed with some sort of wire mesh on the bottom since my backyard is concrete. Has anyone had luck with this?

guri
Jun 14, 2001

showbiz_liz posted:

I had three kinds of basil on my roof this year (I'm in NYC) and I noticed the gutter was clogged when I saw over a dozen baby basil plants were beginning to grow out of it. I had been actively cutting the flowers off too, just missed a few. Basil is powerful.
Similar thing happened to me the past two years with Thai basil. Seeds must have blown off from my rooftop to the road below and I had some sprouts coming out of some moss on the concrete.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Anybody have suggestions for building terraced raised beds?

We're moving into a proper house for the first time next week and I'm excited to finally be moving out of the community garden with crap soil and poor drainage to a proper backyard. It's a big yard, most of which has a good 10-15 degree slope. I'm eyeing this spot where the previous owner seems to have experimented with a single small terraced bed.

Also an option is this more level spot at the top of the yard where there's already a little fire pit where I could just plop the steel beds I already have, but I'm thinking we might want to keep that spot clear for a play area for future children.

For those who have done it, is the terraced approach worth the work it's going to take to dig the trenches and reinforce them and all that fun stuff? How deep can I make them? Is drip irrigation worth setting up? Anything I'm likely to overlook drainage-wise?

I'm also looking forward to seeing what wildlife will destroy my garden next year. Will they be cooler and more exotic than the aphids, bean leaf beetles and chipmunks I've battled in years past? Time will tell!

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 5, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I know it's exciting and all, and you're just sitting around waiting for closing, but you probably have no idea where you'll get decent sun with leaves on the trees. You don't know where the wind comes from. You don't know where the water flows during a heavy rain. You don't know if your soil even drains well.

E: I'm gonna guess that was an ash that got cut down in the middle of the yard. Looks like another one against the fence. That may need to go too if you've got emerald ash borer there and it's too far gone. Otherwise it needs to be treated annually. So that's another thing that can have a huge impact on garden placement.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Motronic posted:

I know it's exciting and all, and you're just sitting around waiting for closing, but you probably have no idea where you'll get decent sun with leaves on the trees. You don't know where the wind comes from. You don't know where the water flows during a heavy rain. You don't know if your soil even drains well.

E: I'm gonna guess that was an ash that got cut down in the middle of the yard. Looks like another one against the fence. That may need to go too if you've got emerald ash borer there and it's too far gone. Otherwise it needs to be treated annually. So that's another thing that can have a huge impact on garden placement.

Mother Nature: “lol get hosed yuppie”

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ha, I'm not out here doing architectural drawings and buying materials, I'm just asking broadly if anybody has experience building terraced raised beds and what I'd be looking at. Forget my dumb yard.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Mother Nature: “lol get hosed yuppie”

This is definitely baked in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I wanna yard that says “Machu Picchu’ but also I golf”

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

Ha, I'm not out here doing architectural drawings and buying materials, I'm just asking broadly if anybody has experience building terraced raised beds and what I'd be looking at. Forget my dumb yard.

There’s more than one way to install them. Are you thinking of going the super intense way and put in a bunch of brick and drainage? Because terraced gardens are very common near me because flat isn’t a thing that exists in giant quantity. Plants also tend to grow well if you take care of them, but they don’t care if you install pretty things.

So the question to me is more, “will I like a pretty terraced garden for a long time” which is something only you will know. If you enjoy gardening a lot, then putting the effort in will have a lot of value to you. It will be a lot of moving dirt, and heavy manual labor, but if you like a well ordered and manicured space than it’ll probably be worth it for you. Alternatively, if your partner is likely to complain about your garden being kinda gross looking, then you’ll want to consider it just for not having someone complain about your happy place.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wanna yard that says “Machu Picchu’ but also I golf”

Mine says, “and also my kid plays hockey on me a lot”, which looks a lot like golf divots.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'll second Motronic here - spend a year moving in and learning the yard. I suspect you'll be mostly doing that anyway. Watch the seasons and how it works on your yard.

Congrats on the house. I like the grilling set up.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Chad Sexington posted:

Forget my dumb yard.

I like your dumb yard. Go up several posts and you’ll see photos of my yard with a similar incline and what I did with prices. Also, there are a lot of variables like all the negative Nancy’s are posting, but I’d say the most important thing is letting us know what zone you’re in. I’m in zone 6 and honestly I’ve grown great onions in a spot that got maybe three hours of direct light a day across about six months. Can you do that in zone 4. Probably not. But realize that to garden you don’t always need perfect conditions.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Earth posted:

I like your dumb yard. Go up several posts and you’ll see photos of my yard with a similar incline and what I did with prices. Also, there are a lot of variables like all the negative Nancy’s are posting, but I’d say the most important thing is letting us know what zone you’re in. I’m in zone 6 and honestly I’ve grown great onions in a spot that got maybe three hours of direct light a day across about six months. Can you do that in zone 4. Probably not. But realize that to garden you don’t always need perfect conditions.

Thanks, yeah we're in Zone 7a. The yard goes west to east and the spot I'm hoping to use has pretty unimpeded southern exposure, so I'm optimistic. And the yard slopes down to the north, so the drainage situation seems pretty good too. I imagine I'll be out there quite a bit this winter with the 3-in-1 soil tester regardless.

I really like the setup you have with your beds — in particular how high you made them. Was all that cedar purchased pre-pandemic shortages? One of the main things I'm curious about : when you dug out and leveled the trench to put in your frame, what if anything did you use to reinforce it? Is it mainly the 4x4s or did you use paver base and rebar too?

And what's the thread consensus on pressure treated lumber and garden beds? No bueno?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

And what's the thread consensus on pressure treated lumber and garden beds? No bueno?

The latest papers from ag schools I've found on the subject, and this was years ago, is that with modern pressure treated lumber this isn't a big deal. There were caveats, graphs of how far treatments would leech into the soils, etc but the bottom line was unless you're making 12x12 planter boxes out of it stop worrying.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Chad Sexington posted:

Thanks, yeah we're in Zone 7a. The yard goes west to east and the spot I'm hoping to use has pretty unimpeded southern exposure, so I'm optimistic. And the yard slopes down to the north, so the drainage situation seems pretty good too. I imagine I'll be out there quite a bit this winter with the 3-in-1 soil tester regardless.

I really like the setup you have with your beds — in particular how high you made them. Was all that cedar purchased pre-pandemic shortages? One of the main things I'm curious about : when you dug out and leveled the trench to put in your frame, what if anything did you use to reinforce it? Is it mainly the 4x4s or did you use paver base and rebar too?

The purchasing was almost entirely all done during pandemic; the grape trellis and composter were before. I finished getting the tree down and took care of the stump in about March. I did not notice the cedar being more expensive from pandemic pricing. I just checked the prices of cedar and it is still the same price I paid. Keeping in mind that cedar is expensive no matter what. I did notice the pressure treated lumber I purchased for the tree trellises went down in price over the process of purchasing it. I have a small car so I had to make multiple trips to get it all.

As for your question about pressure treated lumber. When I was setting up my garden I was reading a lot about pressure treated and there were mixed messages. The strongest thing I read about was they no longer pressure treat with arsenic and you can use it for beds. I choose to not use pressure treated because I could afford to not to, and because I couldn't find a single peer reviewed science thing about it being safe to use pressure treated. KEEPING IN MIND that you can use pressure treated for anything that you don't intend on eating. For flower beds I'm using pressure treated wood and the tree trellises that are far away from the roots are pressure treated.

You don't even need to use wood. There are tons of metal options, e.g. https://www.metalgardenbeds.com which is what I used at my old house. Or https://birdiesgardenproducts.com. Or https://www.amazon.com/s?k=raised+metal+garden+bed&crid=1PUBFFR8887AA&sprefix=raised+mental+bed%2Caps%2C171&ref=nb_sb_noss_1.

Being in zone 7a you're going to get some longer days and longer growing season. This helps you out with the mistakes you will make. Also, the height of my beds is specifically to stop rabbits (they are everywhere). Your pests will define what you need to do more than the slope. For instance if deer can get near you you're going to be more interested in getting a fence up than the type of bed you're putting in.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I'm sad to report that the tiny cherry tomato plant did not survive the transplant and died on the way back to its home planet.

But that's okay; my garden is always an experiment, and now it's time to plan for spring. I'm making another raised bed, trying to take over a small hill in the backyard that has blackberries growing (until the yard guys try to kill it), and I'm going to plant mammoth sunflowers down the south side of the house using the seeds I got from the two I planted.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Why is my oregano so unhappy?
I have two pots of oregano that I intended to give to a friend, the rest of my oregano is outside (central Floirda, 9b) and pretty happy. I put some in pots with some MiracleGro Moisture Control and brought it inside in hopes of giving my friend happy healthy plants used to being inside plants, but one of the pots isn't doing so hot, and there's white crud on the soil in both pots. Where did I go wrong and how can I fix it? (or at least do it less wrong next time)

Note:the hole is from me sticking my finger in the soil to gauge if I need to water it, it seems moist and my understanding is oregano likes it a bit dry do I've been putting off watering it.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
By "white crud" are you referring to the chunks of perlite that floated to the top of your potting mix or is it something like accumulated salts or fungal growth?

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I'm worried it's fungal growth, there's a lot more of it in the left pot. Same time, I guess having it on the healthier plant might mean it's salts or something to not worry about.
Edit: I should be clear, I'm not talking about the perlite, it's more like a fine powder/growth
Edit2: better picture of white crud

Cowwan fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 7, 2020

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
An update: After doing some cleanup I realized I had some really iffy stuff in the right pot. Advice on if the white crud is fungus or just salt would still be appreciated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It looks very fungal, but it’s not necessarily hazardous.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Are they getting light and airflow? They look like they’ve been getting bad light and not enough airflow

Mold is normal under those circumstances and not great but it’s not exactly harmful or dangerous either.

There are gonna be spores in your soil for the most part, and they help to break down decomposing plant matter into nutrients, but they tend not to bloom unless you provide the right conditions for them, which consequently are not the ideal conditions for your plants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Alright, I'd guess my light situation is to blame. They're next to a north facing window, and while I have a light on them it's just a cheap led bulb a few feet away.
I'll see if a trip outside for a few days helps.