Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slanderer posted:

I wrote up my thoughts on ROW last week but I've hesitated to post them all at once, since I'm still considering the Cosmere implications of a bunch of things. But one thing that's been annoying me for a while are all the cognitive shadows.

ROW and Mistborn spoilers:
I was annoyed by this since before ROW just due to reading WOBs, but he made it canon now. It's really weird to me that he's leaned into "everything that dies even for a second is a cognitive shadow, nope not a person just a magic ghost that looks like a person". Like we've already established that souls stick around for a sec after death, so toss them back in their body, reconnect them and you're good to go, right??

The current stance is that whether or not the cognitive shadow is (A) actually the person now just in an energy body or (B) just a copy of the person made of energy is an in-universe open question that isn't gonna be resolved - people who believe (B) will say the soul sticking around is just a low energy cognitive shadow and all that happens when you 'create' a shadow is give it more battery

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I just read through a bunch of the WOBs on cognitive shadows, and I think the situation is a bit different—especially since his answers are slightly contradictory on whether or not the “theory” of how cognitive shadows work is just an in-universe one or if that represents his mechanics (he both says it’s a theory that might not be true, but elsewhere he says “ok here’s the rules of cognitive shadows” in an authoritative way). Perhaps he’s just trying to leave himself an out so he can change the rules and say “oh well, I guess Khriss was a bit wrong about that!”. I’ll try to compile a bunch of them soon, but it’s interesting.

However, I did find one that presents an interesting idea about Kelsier. Bands of Mourning spoiler:

rxience (paraphrased)
Would a single spike be sufficient to staple a Cognitive Shadow to a mistwraith?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)
Yes, that could happen.

rxience (paraphrased)
Did that happen in the past?

That's a RAFO, I'm afraid. Who are you thinking about?

rxience (paraphrased)
Kelsier of course!

Well, he is somehow in the Physical Realm. And he does look like himself, doesn't he?

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/391/#e12758

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m procrastinating with making progress in Hero of Ages because I don’t want it to be over. 😭

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mordiceius posted:

Holy poo poo. The Kandra first generation were terrismen. gently caress. That’s so good.

The big thing I’m still wondering is why the mists kill. The Mist Spirit was Preservation so were the Mists of Preservation as well? I’m sure this will get explained, but it’s the only thing I’ve been a little confused about so far. And why 16%????

:munch:

Mordiceius posted:

I’m procrastinating with making progress in Hero of Ages because I don’t want it to be over. 😭

The rest of us can't wait, though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Evil Fluffy posted:

:munch:

The rest of us can't wait, though.

I’m working on a set this week instead of doing my normal driving, so my listen time has been substantial hampered anyway. I just got to where Yomen opened Fadricks to Elend’s army and Sazed arrived at the pits/the Kandra homeland. I’m at chapter 67. Exactly 5 hours remain.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

The second era of MB ends up (in my opinion) being way better than the first, especially by the end of the third book with the character development that happens, so you have that to look forward to at least

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

I’m working on a set this week instead of doing my normal driving, so my listen time has been substantial hampered anyway. I just got to where Yomen opened Fadricks to Elend’s army and Sazed arrived at the pits/the Kandra homeland. I’m at chapter 67. Exactly 5 hours remain.

Wow, how many days do you need to listen to the last 5 hours? If you really manage to voluntarily stop in the middle of the next 5 hours, I will be seriously impressed with your willpower and discipline.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Wow, how many days do you need to listen to the last 5 hours? If you really manage to voluntarily stop in the middle of the next 5 hours, I will be seriously impressed with your willpower and discipline.

Usually when driving, I can burn through 3-4 hours a day but unfortunately I’m working 12s this week on set so I only really have my commute time of about 40 minutes.

Luckily for me, today I’m working a position that leaves me alone for long periods of time. Probably won’t finish it today, but should be able to make a good dent in it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

“Who first stated he would carry the future of the world on his arms?”

:aaaaa:

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

:allears:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Oh yeah, it’s all coming together now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Funny story: the uk editors 'corrected' the idiom and ruined the twist

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sazed remains one of my favorite characters, and one of the more interesting ones when viewed through the lens of Sanderson's own religious beliefs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Funny story: the uk editors 'corrected' the idiom and ruined the twist

What's the "corrected" version?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

'in' rather than 'on'

I think it's the biggest possible fuckup you could make with a single letter substitution.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 8, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Well, I got to the point where the anime music with lyrics should kick in and I still have 3 hours left??!?!?!!!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Yessssss it's like heroin straight into the vein.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Uhhh poo poo I'm in the middle of part 2 of RoW and literally just found out about Dawnshard by finally looking at this thread should I double back and read that or am I good until a certain point??

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mordiceius posted:

This is amazing. I'm reading along with you by the way.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

Uhhh poo poo I'm in the middle of part 2 of RoW and literally just found out about Dawnshard by finally looking at this thread should I double back and read that or am I good until a certain point??

you're good, the important things that happen in dawnshard are largely unrelated to ROW's plot except in the most minor ways

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
He made sure to write RoW in such a way that you do not need to read Dawnshard first.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I don’t know if any moment in any book has made me hoot and holler as much as “AND SHE CAUGHT HIS ARM.”

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Dawnshard did own a whole lot though and the lore it adds to the Cosmere is great.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea it's fully worth reading, but I wouldn't put down RoW to go read it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There were some neat easter eggs that you catch in RoW after reading Dawnshard, but I think you would catch them just as easily reading in the other direction. Especially since Sanderson fans are really, really good at saying, "Oh, that's what that thing I read 3 years ago was about!"

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Henry Cavill posted a picture of himself reading Words of Radiance.

Can't wait for this year's State of the Sanderson. We should be getting it soon, right?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I believe he posts it on his birthday (19th according to wiki) but I can't seem to find the exact date on last year's post. But if not exactly on it, close to it, yea.

e; date is at the very bottom :downs: yea last 2 years were on the 19th

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Daric posted:

Henry Cavill posted a picture of himself reading Words of Radiance.

Can't wait for this year's State of the Sanderson. We should be getting it soon, right?

Henry Cavill as Szeth the Lopen in the eventual Stormlight series. :pray:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Henry Cavill as Szeth the Lopen in the eventual Stormlight series. :pray:

Amaram. Let him be the character that fronts as a paragon of virtue. Cavil played Superman, who better to sell that?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cast him as as Herald imo

too caucasian to be most non-shin/non-worldhoppers in stormlight

also i googled it and he posted that pic of reading WOR back in 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Man, gently caress KonParr.

Edit: I didn’t realize this series was basically fantasy TTGL.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 9, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Amaram. Let him be the character that fronts as a paragon of virtue. Cavil played Superman, who better to sell that?

That would be a juicy role imo, Sadeas is a bit too cartoon villainy

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Homelander :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Amaram Surprisingly Did Fewer Things Wrong Than Most Characters In Stormlight Up Until He Turned Into A Rock Lobster

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I am devastated. And emotionally exhausted.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I am devastated. And emotionally exhausted.

Sounds like as good a time as any to start on Alloy of Law!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I have so many thoughts about this book that I will share later (probably tomorrow during another 12 hour work shift). It was very good. Not perfect (but what book is) but it was very good.

I feel empty now. All my metals have burned away.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I have so many thoughts about this book that I will share later (probably tomorrow during another 12 hour work shift). It was very good. Not perfect (but what book is) but it was very good.

I feel empty now. All my metals have burned away.

Sounds like aluminium poisoning to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Loved Wax and Wayne so much. cowboy poo poo with a magic system? Hell yes