Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Maybe everybody already knows this but I just read it in the LRB and found it new information, and immensely funny:

quote:

Nationalist English historians and novelists alike have treated defeat at Hastings as an emotional trauma. Tolkien notoriously took the Norman Conquest so hard that he avoided every connection with French: ‘Bag End’ is a defiant response to the imported phrase ‘cul-de-sac’, which angered Tolkien every time he saw it on a street sign.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n23/tom-shippey/men-who-keep-wolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Eh.

I'm sure there are a few cranks, and Victorians going to Victorian, but I really don't see many people in modern Britain who have any great feelings about who won as Hastings.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Eh.

I'm sure there are a few cranks, and Victorians going to Victorian, but I really don't see many people in modern Britain who have any great feelings about who won as Hastings.

You've never spoken to a Brexit voter...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

They care about immigration, EU laws, national sovereignty.

In catastrophically misinformed ways, but nonetheless.

Nobody bar a tiny fringe cares about who won at Hastings and have never given it a moments thought.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm obviously being a poorly informed American about this, but if the Brits are upset that they lost to France a thousand years ago, isnt that sort of assuaged by Agincourt and Shakespeare immortalizing Henry V?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm obviously being a poorly informed American about this, but if the Brits are upset that they lost to France a thousand years ago, isnt that sort of assuaged by Agincourt and Shakespeare immortalizing Henry V?
This is a dismal loving island.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

Can anyone recommend any KJ Parker novels that are like the short stories in Academic Exercises related to the Studium? I really liked 16 Ways, which I presume is set in the same world as much of the rest of Parker's fantasy, since Saloninus is mentioned, but I particularly like the short stories in Academic Exercises featuring people from the Studium, which were a little different from 16 Ways. Anything else by him that directly relates to the Studium and its members?

Yeah these were my favorite bits of Parker writing. I even wrote an entire fantasy novel with a similar premise and then when I read Academic Exercises I was like "Ah! He already wrote it, just as a bunch of short stories!" The "magic" system is so good and there's so much potential within the strange bureaucracy of the Studium. I wish he'd return to it.

The Folding Knife mentions some of the same places as Academic Exercises, but no magic to be found.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eason the Fifth posted:

Really, that's just one Frenchman fighting another one, if you think about it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I don't think I've ever in my entire life met anyone who cares other than perhaps around the time of the World Cup, maybe?

It always gives me a sensible chuckle when I see an England fan all done up as St George whenever we play Germany.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Ccs posted:

Yeah these were my favorite bits of Parker writing. I even wrote an entire fantasy novel with a similar premise and then when I read Academic Exercises I was like "Ah! He already wrote it, just as a bunch of short stories!" The "magic" system is so good and there's so much potential within the strange bureaucracy of the Studium. I wish he'd return to it.

The Folding Knife mentions some of the same places as Academic Exercises, but no magic to be found.

Thanks. Next up for me is his collection "The Father of Lies," which I'm hoping will check some of the same boxes Academic Exercises did -- at the least it has some more Saloninus stories, so that should be good. I'm going to check out the Scavenger and Fencer trilogies at some point as well. It just doesn't seem that there are any actual Studium novels, from what I can tell. Which is too bad -- I would definitely read anything else by Parker that was in the vein of those magic-focused stories from Academic Exercises. I want more weird, inexplicable stuff with the rooms.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

90s Cringe Rock posted:

This is a dismal loving island.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:hmmyes:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. Next up for me is his collection "The Father of Lies," which I'm hoping will check some of the same boxes Academic Exercises did -- at the least it has some more Saloninus stories, so that should be good. I'm going to check out the Scavenger and Fencer trilogies at some point as well. It just doesn't seem that there are any actual Studium novels, from what I can tell. Which is too bad -- I would definitely read anything else by Parker that was in the vein of those magic-focused stories from Academic Exercises. I want more weird, inexplicable stuff with the rooms.

Yeah I liked Father of Lies, just not as much as Academic Exercises. I tried reading the Scavenger trilogy and got really bored, so that's put me off Parker for the time being. I'll probably pick up one of his newer books in the future.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/dedbutdrmng/status/1336370692347092998

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eason the Fifth posted:

The kind of person who thinks that way wouldn't care if we beat the French hollow in every war since 1066. They consider victory to be England's rightful due, and are angry that the natural order was upset even once.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I have never ever met someone who genuinely cared about our historic wars with the French aside from gentle ribbing

Or should I say... with ourselves???

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I try and crowbar this in all the time, but I love how little of a poo poo every french person I know gives about Agincourt. Most of them don't even know about it! Because it may have been a momentous victory for England, but from the French perspective its one defeat from that time England spent a hundred years failing to conquer them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Our ridiculous nationalists get really excited still about the one time we won the football World Cup back in 1966. *Really* excited, that we won *once*, almost sixty years ago.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I just like the idea of a gentle old man going for a walk and then biting through his pipe stem in a rage after seeing "cul-de-sac" on a street sign

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

bit like that one battle between the dutch, english, german, scots army, representing a german fighting against a franco-italian usurper backed by french and irish troops fighting alongside more scots*

*this might get you glassed north of the tweed

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I try and crowbar this in all the time, but I love how little of a poo poo every french person I know gives about Agincourt. Most of them don't even know about it! Because it may have been a momentous victory for England, but from the French perspective its one defeat from that time England spent a hundred years failing to conquer them.

Not to get all "Demographics is destiny" but it's interesting how recent the population of each country being equivalent is. It's barely a century old, rough parity kicked in around 1900 swinging slightly either side since.

As recently as the Napoleonic wars France had 3 time the population of the UK. Go back as far as the 100 years war and it was 4 times and you could make argument (the stats get obviously hazier) for 5 at other times.

There's a reason France was the big dog of Europe for so long. Medieval France held about a quarter of the population of Europe, and it took centuries for that advantage to dwindle.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
There might be a better thread for this, but people are active here -
General Batuta and other published authors here: my spouse is taking their writing more seriously, are there any writing organization apps that work well for you? They're trying scrivener and living writer right now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Silly Newbie posted:

General Batuta and other published authors here: my spouse is taking their writing more seriously, are there any writing organization apps that work well for you? They're trying scrivener and living writer right now.

I use Papyrus. It's a relatively new app and, unfortunately, subscription-only. I found Scrivener to be a bit too clunky and unintuitive. Papyrus isn't as powerful as Scrivener but it has a lot of good stuff baked in (whereas I found Scrivener a little lacking if I didn't want to do it all myself). As an app, it's a lot cleaner and neater, quick and responsive, and I've found the way it sets things out (such as chapter listings and other screens for, say, character or research notes) far better to use and bounce between than anything else I've tried.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea #1) by Ursula K Le Guin - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008T9L6AM/

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LV8TSU/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Silly Newbie posted:

I personally like to use Microsoft Word with an absolute dog's breakfast of dozens of pages of notes, outlines, and swathes of writing that I've cut but don't want to delete entirely at the bottom of whatever I'm currently working on.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Silly Newbie posted:

Scrivener is the best I've found, particularly for something long and structurally complex. Moving around large chunks of text in Word is wretched, and I'd never touch the program except that publishing makes me.

tiniestacorn fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 9, 2020

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

freebooter posted:

I personally like to use Microsoft Word with an absolute dog's breakfast of dozens of pages of notes, outlines, and swathes of writing that I've cut but don't want to delete entirely at the bottom of whatever I'm currently working on.

This is what I used to do, and I think one of Papyrus' advantages is that it feels like Word with a bunch of stuff to make it easier to move around chunks of text, keep your notes easier to access, and so on.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

tiniestacorn posted:

Scrivener is the best I've found, particularly for something long and structurally complex. Moving around large chunks of text in Word is wretched, and I'd never touch the program except that publishing makes me.

I did an 1100 page novel in Scrivener for my MFA, but switched to using Word with individual files for each chapter, and then generated a new file per chapter per draft.

It turns out that when working with writing partners and critique deadlines, the individual word documents were much, much better than Scrivener. However, if a person plans on writing a full novel without getting critiqued during the process, Scrivener is great.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

freebooter posted:

I just like the idea of a gentle old man going for a walk and then biting through his pipe stem in a rage after seeing "cul-de-sac" on a street sign

Tolkien was apparently not just a gentle old professor. 30 seconds of googling yields this quote:

excerpt from Humphrey Carter's "J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography"

"He could laugh at anybody, but most of all himself, and his complete lack of any sense of dignity could and often did make him behave like a riotous schoolboy. At a New Year's Eve party in the nineteen-thirties he would don an Icelandic sheepskin hearthrug and paint his face white to impersonate a polar bear, or he would dress up as an Anglo-Saxon warrior complete with axe and chase an astonished neighbour down the road. Later in life he delighted to offer inattentive shopkeepers his false teeth among a handful of change. 'I have,' he once wrote, 'a very simple sense of humour, which even my appreciative critics find tiresome.'" - Carter, p. 134

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I read This Virtual Night, which is the 22-years-later sequel to This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman. I wouldn't call it as disappointing as The Wilding was in contrast to In Conquest Born, but it was definitely not as good. I also don't love This Alien Shore quite as much as In Conquest Born so my expectations were a lot lower.

Broadly speaking, This Virtual Night was a fairly generic sci fi story set in the same universe as This Alien Shore. Not much (any, really) exploration of Gueran society or culture, no new Hausmann Variations. I would call it a sequel with a bare connection to the plot of This Alien Shore but not really much connection to the overall spirit. Whatever made Friedman such an inspired writer in the 90s seems to have mostly dissipated.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Danhenge posted:

I read This Virtual Night, which is the 22-years-later sequel to This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman. I wouldn't call it as disappointing as The Wilding was in contrast to In Conquest Born, but it was definitely not as good. I also don't love This Alien Shore quite as much as In Conquest Born so my expectations were a lot lower.

Broadly speaking, This Virtual Night was a fairly generic sci fi story set in the same universe as This Alien Shore. Not much (any, really) exploration of Gueran society or culture, no new Hausmann Variations. I would call it a sequel with a bare connection to the plot of This Alien Shore but not really much connection to the overall spirit. Whatever made Friedman such an inspired writer in the 90s seems to have mostly dissipated.

:(

That really sucks, as she was one of my favorites in the 90s.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

:(

That really sucks, as she was one of my favorites in the 90s.

Yeah, agreed. It's not a bad book, it's just like regular sci fi. It would be totally serviceable as a non-sequel. The writing is still quite good and there were a few moments where I legitimately read too late because I wanted to see where the narrative was going. It's just not wildly imaginative like In Conquest Born, Madness Season, This Alien Shore, and the Coldfire books were. In that sense it mostly suffers as a consequence of the comparison to This Alien Shore, rather than being kind of a mess like The Wilding.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Silly Newbie posted:

I think Scrivener is really strong if you want to do something really complex or interrelated, if you want to save tons of research, you can also tie it in with Aeon Timeline if you're doing a mystery or something with really complex and exacting scheduling.

Scrivener also exports to kindle and stuff really well, some people buy it expressly for that purpose.

That being said it is a kind of daunting to learn and overwhelming, and for almost everyone, Scrivener has a lot of features you won't use. This is true of word as well but it's much more hidden.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Drone Jett posted:

I mentioned Dave Duncan and his A Man of His Word series a few days ago and thought to refresh my memory on these since it's been a long time since I read these as a teenager. I recall finding the worldbuilding interesting but the characterization and plot less so.

Has anyone else read this series?

I feel obligated to respond here, since I read and loved it (sequel too, really) some 15+ years ago. It's exceedingly rare that anyone else knows about the series, but it's always the first thing that springs to my mind when people start discussing fun magic systems.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

darkgray posted:

I feel obligated to respond here, since I read and loved it (sequel too, really) some 15+ years ago. It's exceedingly rare that anyone else knows about the series, but it's always the first thing that springs to my mind when people start discussing fun magic systems.

I've started rereading it and my hazy recollections are making it easier going this time than I remember the first time. I do very much enjoy how he parcels out the gradual discoveries of how the magic system and magical regulation work, complete with inaccurate information given to the POV characters at various stages.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6E8EQ6/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Went back to Riddley Walker after falling away from it and read through in a white heat to the end. What an incredible book. Even if I did have to read most of it out loud to myself in a dodgy country accent.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Went back to Riddley Walker after falling away from it and read through in a white heat to the end. What an incredible book. Even if I did have to read most of it out loud to myself in a dodgy country accent.

I keep meaning to reread that (but I keep acquiring new stuff too). It is amazing.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
The Peripheral (The Jackpot Trilogy Book 1) by William Gibson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INIXKV2

Agency (The Jackpot Trilogy Book 2) by William Gibson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072NXSB14

I liked both books a lot, though #2 does feel a bit rushed at the end.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

darkgray posted:

I think I read the sequel series but I don’t remember it that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I use Papyrus. It's a relatively new app and, unfortunately, subscription-only. I found Scrivener to be a bit too clunky and unintuitive. Papyrus isn't as powerful as Scrivener but it has a lot of good stuff baked in (whereas I found Scrivener a little lacking if I didn't want to do it all myself). As an app, it's a lot cleaner and neater, quick and responsive, and I've found the way it sets things out (such as chapter listings and other screens for, say, character or research notes) far better to use and bounce between than anything else I've tried.

Typical goon, likes writing in Papyrus.