Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Ubuntu - Install all the things from universe nothing can ever go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

looks like they will revert that shell expansion thingie that bash 5 brought in, good riddance

Bash 5.1 and Readline 8.1 released

wait what behavior? i am apparently using GNU bash, version 5.0.17(1)-release, and i never noticed anything weird or different

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Soricidus posted:

ugh. so now what am I supposed to use if I want a grown up distro for servers but I’m too cheap to pay red hat?

debian

xtal posted:

NixOS, same as before

i thought it was against the rules to recommend self-harm. mods???

starbucks hermit posted:

from what I recall, Amazon Linux 2 doesn't enable selinux and you have to jump through a lot of hoops to enable it.

selinux isn't worth the effort. in particular, if you have anything interesting stored on a web server's filesystem, you are doing cloud very, very wrong

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

You forget that SELinux is meant to severely restrict what a compromised service can do. Do you have a service on a port, like a database server or application server? SELinux may not protect the service itself (it might, if the exploit depends on syscalls that are disabled) but it can limit the options that a compromised service can take to further compromise the network.

https://access.redhat.com/blogs/766093/posts/3557091

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, lol at assuming that everything Linux server related is automatically on the cloud and not some dev's unknown server or on-prem service like confluence or an internal application.

Or, even more important, a hardware appliance or some other iot device.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Soricidus posted:

ugh. so now what am I supposed to use if I want a grown up distro for servers but I’m too cheap to pay red hat?

DigitalOcean has FreeBSD.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the memes have already started https://centos.rip/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Soricidus posted:

SUSE?

:shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Truga posted:

this is really good.

some old-school poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hmmm, who could have thought ibm would try to get as much cash as possible out of long-term support licensing on a unix server product.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

or oracle linux lol

oel aint that bad

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Well I guess I'll use Centos 7 for now and hopefully change jobs before its eol. Its extra funny they announced this a week after centos 6 went eol, I'm sure they are a bunch of fresh centos 8 installs made in the last month thinking they'd get 10 years.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Perplx posted:

Its extra funny they announced this a week after centos 6 went eol, I'm sure they are a bunch of fresh centos 8 installs made in the last month thinking they'd get 10 years.

I just spent 10 hours migrating our sites from centos 6 to centos 8.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

is there a good hardware video capture device that's supported decently in linux (fedora or debian if we gotta be specific)? i'd be using obs, and computer itself is kind of old (core 2 duo) but i imagine it could handle 720p encoding/streaming on its own

i should probably test obs without said hardware beforehand as well, but the idea is that it'd ONLY handle the video stream not whatever i'm streaming

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

not like it's the same thing as rhel, but I assume that centos 8 stream is going to be a much more stable and reliable set of packages that something like fedora core is definitely not

I'm probably going to migrate a bunch of servers from ubuntu to centos 8 anyway (and centos 8 stream after that), gonna cross my fingers and hope that things go ok. Worse comes to worse, I can migrate back to ubuntu if poo poo really hits the fan.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i would broadly expect that centos stream will be fine. the point is to give highly paid people who deal with these things the little feeling in their stomach that they may get their sleep or family life interrupted rudely by some poo poo that their rhel-using colleague will never have to deal with. and then downstream knock-ons like e.g. a cloud host needing to be more clear about the difference in what you're running on.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Share Bear posted:

is there a good hardware video capture device that's supported decently in linux (fedora or debian if we gotta be specific)? i'd be using obs, and computer itself is kind of old (core 2 duo) but i imagine it could handle 720p encoding/streaming on its own

i should probably test obs without said hardware beforehand as well, but the idea is that it'd ONLY handle the video stream not whatever i'm streaming

i've heard good things about the flint 4kp

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Share Bear posted:

https://www.epiphan.com/ is Wendell approved and works without drivers on linux.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Truga posted:

lmfao

e: it's been 518 days since IBM acquired RH i figured they'd work faster, but i guess sometimes even lovely things take time

:blastu:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The idea of CentOS being something in between Fedora and RHEL update-wise is actually kind of appealing to me, but this quote from Red Hat’s CTO about what CentOS Stream is supposed to be, from a year or so ago, makes this choice seem a lot more ominous than that:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/red-hat-introduces-rolling-release-centos-stream/
> To be exact, CentOS Stream is an upstream development platform for ecosystem developers. It will be updated several times a day. This is not a production operating system. It's purely a developer's distro. Wright encourages, "users that want to be more tightly involved in driving the future of enterprise Linux, however, to transition to CentOS Stream as the new 'pace-setting' distribution."

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Perplx posted:

https://www.epiphan.com/ is Wendell approved and works without drivers on linux.

thank you, but that looks like a standalone device that also costs as much as making a whole new pc would (3.5k starting) maybe the nano will be cheaper?

quote:

i've heard good things about the flint 4kp

also looks good and also offloads encoding, just gotta check that this motherboard has usb3 (this is a very old pc)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Share Bear posted:

thank you, but that looks like a standalone device that also costs as much as making a whole new pc would (3.5k starting) maybe the nano will be cheaper?

you have to scroll way down the product page for the cheaper ones, although the cheapest ones are still $400+

https://www.epiphan.com/products/avio-hd/

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

starbucks hermit posted:

You forget that SELinux is meant to severely restrict what a compromised service can do. Do you have a service on a port, like a database server or application server? SELinux may not protect the service itself (it might, if the exploit depends on syscalls that are disabled) but it can limit the options that a compromised service can take to further compromise the network.

https://access.redhat.com/blogs/766093/posts/3557091

ok how do i integrate SELinux policies into my build and deployment pipeline

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

starbucks hermit posted:

Also, lol at assuming that everything Linux server related is automatically on the cloud and not some dev's unknown server or on-prem service like confluence or an internal application.

that is actually the case where i work

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my bitter bi rival posted:

The idea of CentOS being something in between Fedora and RHEL update-wise is actually kind of appealing to me, but this quote from Red Hat’s CTO about what CentOS Stream is supposed to be, from a year or so ago, makes this choice seem a lot more ominous than that:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/red-hat-introduces-rolling-release-centos-stream/
> To be exact, CentOS Stream is an upstream development platform for ecosystem developers. It will be updated several times a day. This is not a production operating system. It's purely a developer's distro. Wright encourages, "users that want to be more tightly involved in driving the future of enterprise Linux, however, to transition to CentOS Stream as the new 'pace-setting' distribution."

it's going to be arch linux with a necktie and anyone who runs it in prod is a clown

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
CentOS may be dead, but some other group will make a new CentOS.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it's going to be arch linux with a necktie and anyone who runs it in prod is a clown

2021 is the year of linux at the circus

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DoomTrainPhD posted:

CentOS may be dead, but some other group will make a new CentOS.

Humble beginnings
https://github.com/hpcng/rocky

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i’ll make the wiki

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Soricidus posted:

i’ll make the wiki

ill make the gitlab because github is compromised by mikkkro$hit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

embrace, extend, and extinguish

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

pram posted:

ill make the gitlab because github is compromised by mikkkro$hit

i got a couple of r610s ill throw gitea on

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

oel aint that bad

honestly it seems like the best option

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ok how do i integrate SELinux policies into my build and deployment pipeline

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/using_selinux/writing-a-custom-selinux-policy_using-selinux

it'll take work on your part to get it working with your processes.

Is it worth the pain? It depends on your business, and if you don't have client demand for it then you won't have the resources to integrate and maintain it.

Just because your clients don't see the value in it, doesn't mean it has no value to anybody. It just doesn't have value to you.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

that is actually the case where i work

great job being vague

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Truga posted:

be sure to click the purchase RHEL button

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

starbucks hermit posted:

I think the funniest part is imagining that the random dev's unknown server would have SELinux enforcement enabled.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it takes more effort to turn it off than to leave it on

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
in hindsight, new centos explains how fedora is now defaulting to butterfs while it's being deprecated in rhel lmao

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Truga posted:

in hindsight, new centos explains how fedora is now defaulting to butterfs while it's being deprecated in rhel lmao

hm no i don't follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

The_Franz posted:

you have to scroll way down the product page for the cheaper ones, although the cheapest ones are still $400+

https://www.epiphan.com/products/avio-hd/

oh cool thanks