Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I assume it has to do with Fanmio wanting to secure a certain amount of revenue for their purposes. Much as Tyson-Jones was sponsored by Triller (aka scuffed TikTok) this is a promotional tool for Fanmio which, as I understand it, is basically Cameo but Zoom calls with celebrities instead of short personalized videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Marching Powder posted:

No, you can't beat the best boxer on the planet even by accident even if you outweigh him by 50lbs

Yeah that's kinda how I feel about it too, if Floyd was like a 120~ lb guy and Logan was a 250 lb lifelong bar bouncer or something, maybe, but as it is I think it's actually the most dangerous fight for his opponent, since Conor and Tenshin at least both had combat sports experience. That's again, assuming that Floyd actually fights him rather than pretending to.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, even in the Conor fight, against someone who is an elite striker with some decent power for his weight, Mayweather just kinda toyed around for the first two or three rounds and barely threw any punches.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
If Paul Sibling A wins, it will be an upset at least on par with Danny LaFever over Benji Radach

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Brut posted:

Yeah that's kinda how I feel about it too, if Floyd was like a 120~ lb guy and Logan was a 250 lb lifelong bar bouncer or something, maybe, but as it is I think it's actually the most dangerous fight for his opponent, since Conor and Tenshin at least both had combat sports experience. That's again, assuming that Floyd actually fights him rather than pretending to.

If Floyd actually fights him, the fight doesn't get out of the first minute. It would actually be kind of hilarious to see how much wailing and gnashing of teeth there would be over Floyd making bank off a 37 second fight as opposed to the normal wailing and gnashing of teeth about his fights being boring because he spent 12 rounds not getting touched.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

If Floyd gives a poo poo, his hand speed even at 40-whatever years old means Paul would eat 5 punches while throwing a single jab.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please lets never forget the time where Shannon Briggs was called a quitter by one of the dumb YouTube guys because he told the brother the "wrong advice"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDMZS585H8A

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want a mangled face out of this and I don't think I'm a bad person for feeling this way

I might be, though

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/jakepaul/status/1336519412011057154

https://twitter.com/Claressashields/status/1336522080490176512

There's no loving way right?

Right?

:ohdear:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 9, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ok put this on the comain and i'll buy it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OneTruePecos posted:

If Floyd actually fights him, the fight doesn't get out of the first minute.

I think Paul has the size and cowardice to clinch his way through 3min. What's the ref gonna do, DQ an exhibition for being too safe?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

I think Paul has the size and cowardice to clinch his way through 3min. What's the ref gonna do, DQ an exhibition for being too safe?

if floyd's old rear end couldn't stop paul clinching him he would literally die against anyone he had fought in the last five years including conor mcgregor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Skill is skill, but of all the places where untrained 50lbs could help the most, it would be in wrapping up a not-sweaty fighter trying to punch around your tie-up.

Paul also wrestled in high school, so he wouldn't be completely out of his element trying to get a grip.

I don't see being able to clinch defensively to ride out 3min as the same as having a path to victory to knock Floyd out.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 9, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

maybe but i'm just thinking back to guys i've outweighed by 50 lbs who are lightyears better than me and i'd have better chances at grabbing a ghost

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He'll lunge in for a clumsy clinch, catch a left hook, and the ghost of Emanuel Steward will call out "Check left hook, went right into it. He never saw it".

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 9, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

this i would pay money for

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I bought the logan paul v mayweather card. Should be a fun time, lol.

They got me with the 25.99 now fomo

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

He'll lunge in for a clumsy clinch, catch a left hook, and the ghost of Emanuel Steward will call out "Check left hook, went right into it. He never saw it".

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/terencecrawford/status/1336832047827062786?s=21

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

He's just talking poo poo (I would assume) but Crawford vs Teofimo at 140 could snap me out of my freakshow fight trance.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Do we know how heavy Floyd is these days? He might have put even more size on.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

the best outcome is for paul to pay mayweather to let it go a few rounds so he then believes he's a boxer and therefore gets killed by a heavyweight who needs money in his next fight

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Tyson Vs Paul imo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Do we know how heavy Floyd is these days? He might have put even more size on.

Floyd isn't gonna bulk up for this. He's not gonna do different S&C for this.
Maaaybe he'll get slightly bigger sparring partners.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

kimbo305 posted:

Floyd isn't gonna bulk up for this. He's not gonna do different S&C for this.
Maaaybe he'll get slightly bigger sparring partners.

He will engage the services of a range of different social media influencers to act as sparring partners, e.g. Ryan Toys Review and the kids from the baby shark video

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jose posted:

Tyson Vs Paul imo

Mike, Fury, either or both at once?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, he may be doing fine. But I don't really see the point of that progressive PPV pricing structure unless you need money right now.

At $70 flat out there's no market for the fight. McGregor was a combat sports champion and you could conceivably sell the idea (to dumb people) that his skills might cross over for a legitimate chance at victory in a real boxing match. Logan Paul is 0-1 as a professional boxer and nobody's gonna buy the idea that he could beat Floyd.

People aren't gonna pay $70 just to watch Floyd take easy fights with no drama, remember only 400k people bought Mayweather-Berto. But at $25 there's enough novelty in Mayweather coming back for a lot of boxing fans to buy in, when they wouldn't for $70, and buy in quick before they have time to realize the fight isn't even worth $25 to see. Casual fans won't give a poo poo about the match quality at all, they'll buy the fight at $50+ as long as it looks like it will be a big event.

It's a smart move just to avoid the immediate reaction we all should have had to any Mayweather-Paul PPV announcement, which is "lmao if they expect us to pay for this."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Also I think Floyd comes out for the round 1 KO. Conor McGregor came in against Floyd as a huge MMA star and there was legacy interest in making sure he carried himself well in the fight, and at least looked threatening. Chumping out Conor earlier would have made it too obvious how big a mismatch it was. There's no legacy interest in going rounds with the worse Paul brother, Floyd doesn't care at all about drawing it out for the paying customer or whatever. Everyone knows Logan Paul shouldn't be in the same ring as Floyd Mayweather, I expect Floyd to waste no time in proving it.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
There might not be a market on the Mayweather side but what about the Paul side, he does have 22 million subs after all.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I have a feeling the cost/demand curve for those subscribers intersects a lot closer to the $25 end than the $70 end.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Stangg posted:

There might not be a market on the Mayweather side but what about the Paul side, he does have 22 million subs after all.

do all 22 million have access to their moms credit cards?

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

do all 22 million have access to their moms credit cards?

I know you're just being facetious but I did take a look at demographics out of interest and ~50% are over 24, but I agree with Ninth that its unlikely the majority of that fan base is going to pay $70 to watch it live.

edit: V whoops

Stangg fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 10, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Stangg posted:

its unlikely the majority of that fan base is not going to pay $70 to watch it live.

I think you have an unintentional double negative here, but not sure.

I assume there'll be a huge volume of people who consume other YT content who'll get it to see Logan Paul get his rear end beat. In fact, Floyd should really sell that as hard as he can.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I think you have an unintentional double negative here, but not sure.

I assume there'll be a huge volume of people who consume other YT content who'll get it to see Logan Paul get his rear end beat. In fact, Floyd should really sell that as hard as he can.

This feels like the start of a black mirror episode where it eventually leads to a world where the path to fame is getting the poo poo kicked out of you by professional fighters.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Ppv is such a weird business it's hard to really know anything unless you're on the inside but it is generally accepted as fact that the vast majority of buys for events are made the day of, oftentimes as the event stars. Tyson-Jones had alsmot no buzz between being originally announced and when it finally happened and it did amazing numbers. We talk about all of the Paul fans being kids but these are still kids who can press the buy button on their parents cable boxes.

I can definitely see something similar happening here even with that tiered pricing model which-as I stated earlier-seems more like Fanmio needing cash now to make debt service payments or investor distributions or pay Floyd and or Logan some sort of advance and not anything indicative of how commercially successful they think the event will be

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

the vast majority of buys for events are made the day of, oftentimes as the event starts.

I can definitely see something similar happening here even with that tiered pricing model ...
not anything indicative of how commercially successful they think the event will be

Yeah, in fact, I think they're correctly assuming the last minute impulse buyers are not gonna be dissuaded by the price, so they can milk those people for the full price.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The SituAsian posted:

Ppv is such a weird business it's hard to really know anything...

It really is and unless you buy fights or have a premium cable package it's almost completely impossible to know or follow anything about the sport now in its modern form. I'm rather old but I grew up watching fights in prime time and on Saturday afternoons showing me Ali, Ray Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Holmes...which were more often than not really good fights and gave me an appreciation for the sport. This was in the mid 70's to early 80's. I can maybe name 7 serious and active boxers right now off the top of my head if I'm lucky.

Later on, HBO and cable took over but you could still go over to your friend's house and watch a big fight.

I remember Hagler v Leonard where like 20 of us crowded into this one guy's dorm room to watch it on HBO, paying him in beers and bong hits. But before long though, you had to pony up 50 bucks (back then) and that led to parties where folks would fork over a $5 cover or whatever to watch Tyson kill a guy in 2 minutes but it seemed like all of a sudden the fights themselves mostly started to suck, you felt like the fix was in more than usual and nobody seemed to be getting their money's worth 4 out of 5 times. Laying down money for it added to feeling ripped off when some bullshit went down (DQ, bullshit scoring, quick KO, dull fight)

I think PPV kind of killed boxing as a mainstream sport but I get why it went that route.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i won’t get on a soapbox or anything but the ppv model was the only way that they could monetize at that scale at that time. nowadays you’d probably just have a specialized streaming service dedicated to it ala DAZN but instead the sport is sort of split between big marquee PPVs and whatever gets left for hbo and showtime

the sport doesn’t draw enough numbers for cbs or whoever to pay money AND block out time to try and sell ads for it; that plus the marquee fights taking place around 11 pm est means that it’s poisonous to network tv

basically boxing was dealt two deathblows: a pennywise pound foolish attitude towards big fights and the very public and visible degeneration of one of the most well known and beloved athletes of the 60s and 70s

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Stangg posted:

This feels like the start of a black mirror episode where it eventually leads to a world where the path to fame is getting the poo poo kicked out of you by professional fighters.

didn't charlie zelenoff or whatever his name was gain mild fame in the circles of weird online fight fans by doing exactly this and literally getting beaten by deontay wilder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

didn't charlie zelenoff ... by doing exactly this

Well, presumably all the YT people are sane and just talking poo poo for clicks, and not mentally ill and not helped by his dad (who would show up to fights and try to beg the other side to take it easy on his son, who would definitely try to destroy the other side).