Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus those were from 5 years ago? I still think of them as the "new" bodystyle. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ThirstyBuck posted:

Just following up to say the my brother in law ended up getting a 2015 4Runner SR5.

E: I forgot the price. He paid $19k via private party which seemed on the nose blue book but he said it was a steal in the CO market.

That's a great looking car!

My wife used to live in Denver and wants one to cosplay/commute in.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Audi A6 vs BMW 540 x drive are my choices come March when I need to turn in my current lease. I’m leaning to the BMW 5.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Proposed Budget: $8000, possibly with 1k on top as wiggle room
New or Used: Used (looking to dealer purchase, no private party)
Body Style: 2 or 4 door/hatchback (think CR-Z, small car, hatchbacks)
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work 4-5 days a week which is a 25 mile round trip, mostly local area drives, few longer trips. No kids, occasional friends/SO riding along.

What aspects are most important to you? reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, MPG

--
I'm trying to help a friend with shopping for a new vehicle all of a sudden due to him getting wrecked into and know ya'll have a better pulse on what's worth looking at than I do. Plus I think covid has hosed the market a bit too. TIA!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Proposed Budget: 15k-20k
New or Used: used I guess - I can't imagine any new cars being good for this budget range.
Body Style: 4 door - no compacts, no pickup trucks - other than that, not super picky. Fine with a SUV or sedan.
How will you be using the car?: 2 different people driving for around town - I work at home but errands etc plus partner driving. We do want to take road trips across the country (from midwest to either coast and back, after covid ends) so good for long trips is important.

What aspects are most important to you? - reliability, low cost of ownership, decent cargo space (for road trips and hauling stuff). We just need a car that works.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

tangy yet delightful posted:

Proposed Budget: $8000, possibly with 1k on top as wiggle room
New or Used: Used (looking to dealer purchase, no private party)
Body Style: 2 or 4 door/hatchback (think CR-Z, small car, hatchbacks)
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work 4-5 days a week which is a 25 mile round trip, mostly local area drives, few longer trips. No kids, occasional friends/SO riding along.

What aspects are most important to you? reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, MPG

--
I'm trying to help a friend with shopping for a new vehicle all of a sudden due to him getting wrecked into and know ya'll have a better pulse on what's worth looking at than I do. Plus I think covid has hosed the market a bit too. TIA!

buy a prius

clockworkjoe posted:

Proposed Budget: 15k-20k
New or Used: used I guess - I can't imagine any new cars being good for this budget range.
Body Style: 4 door - no compacts, no pickup trucks - other than that, not super picky. Fine with a SUV or sedan.
How will you be using the car?: 2 different people driving for around town - I work at home but errands etc plus partner driving. We do want to take road trips across the country (from midwest to either coast and back, after covid ends) so good for long trips is important.

What aspects are most important to you? - reliability, low cost of ownership, decent cargo space (for road trips and hauling stuff). We just need a car that works.

you too

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Buy a prius should probably get added to the thread title.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Buy a prius should probably get added to the thread title.

I think one of the prior thread titles was buy a prius

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Add it to the "must answer" questions: "Explain, in detail, why a Toyota Prius is not the vehicle for you. Cite sources."

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

If Toyota ever makes a hot hatch prius, taking the same approach as the P1, 918, and La Ferrari but at hot hatch power levels I will buy it in a heartbeat.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I know that they are not in reality abnormally small, but the wheels on the Prius always look tiny to me and I don’t care for that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

they are normal sized its just that all other cars have absurd big wheels with correspondingly expensive tires

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

suggesting it, thanks

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My Prius is fine. It or the RAV4 Hybrid are probably the perfect vehicle for like 70% of the country at minimum.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

fknlo posted:

My Prius is fine. It or the RAV4 Hybrid are probably the perfect vehicle for like 70% of the country at minimum.

In my current situation I would probably just buy a RAV4 Hybrid but it’s too much $$$

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

throw the Tacoma in there and you probably get up to 80%+

Toyota is a wonderful company whose products I do not care for at all.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At least they made the GR Yaris, so they're trying.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Is a CT4 a bad idea?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Toyota is a wonderful company whose products I do not care for at all.
Come now they deserve a little credit for the GT86

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

evilpicard posted:

Is a CT4 a bad idea?

unless you want a small entry sport/lux sedan and you a) want to stand out from the crowd but b) it has to be American (ruling out the Giulia) i don't see why you would

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Thanks for the recommendation - I have 2 friends with prius' so I'll talk to them about their experiences.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks for the recommendation - I have 2 friends with prius' so I'll talk to them about their experiences.

Please, Prii is the preferred nomenclature

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Priodes

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gangringo posted:

If Toyota ever makes a hot hatch prius, taking the same approach as the P1, 918, and La Ferrari but at hot hatch power levels I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Would probably be interested as well but then if you were being honest with yourself you wouldn't put "reliability and fuel mileage" as first and second priorities for a CRZ-but-actually-good.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Priora :latin101:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gangringo posted:

Will a Yaris do instead of the Prius?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

Believe me I have been lusting after the GR Yaris since it was announced. Unfortunately I am on the wrong side of an ocean to buy it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The USA is going to get a GR Corolla.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That would be cool. Too bad they'll sell 17 of them and they'll be rare as gently caress.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's the rumor, but i have serious doubts it's going to be as insane of a bespoke rally car as the Yaris is. I'm still cautiously optimistic that it will be good though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

That would be cool. Too bad they'll sell 17 of them and they'll be rare as gently caress.

be the change you want to see in the world friend

Gangringo posted:

That's the rumor, but i have serious doubts it's going to be as insane of a bespoke rally car as the Yaris is. I'm still cautiously optimistic that it will be good though.

if you want an insane bespoke rally car and are actually going to be using any tiny fraction of its capability you should be buying used because you will need thousands and thousands of dollars for replacement parts. otherwise just buy a Veloster N or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't afford a new new car.

And honestly, every time someone has died this year my enthusiasm for an expensive car has dwindled. That could also be my newly discovered depression talking though. Maybe if I get medicated I'll want to overspend on a car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I can't afford a new new car.

And honestly, every time someone has died this year my enthusiasm for an expensive car has dwindled. That could also be my newly discovered depression talking though. Maybe if I get medicated I'll want to overspend on a car.

Don't you think it's because you're just older and other things are more important to you?

I mean, I could go out and buy a new C8 Corvette if I really wanted too, but I don't care about that kind of poo poo like when I was in my 20's

I'd rather save my money or if I'm gonna spend it I would renovate my kitchen or something. I have a cheap, dependable and safe econobox that gets me where I wanna go and it's enough for me. Maybe when my son gets his license I'll give him the Scion and find a cheap used Miata again but that's about the extent I'd go these days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

buying expensive cars interferes with Number Go Up in my retirement accounts is most of it for me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Don't you think it's because you're just older and other things are more important to you?

I mean, I could go out and buy a new C8 Corvette if I really wanted too, but I don't care about that kind of poo poo like when I was in my 20's

I'd rather save my money or if I'm gonna spend it I would renovate my kitchen or something. I have a cheap, dependable and safe econobox that gets me where I wanna go and it's enough for me. Maybe when my son gets his license I'll give him the Scion and find a cheap used Miata again but that's about the extent I'd go these days.

I have a solid car fund currently but 2020 has eroded my enjoyment of leaving the house in a big way. I honestly wish I hadn't sold the MS6 because despite it's issues it was still fun to drive.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I used to post pretty often in AI when I started here 12 years ago, but now I have a kid and an office job it's all pretty dumb and I just subscribe to this thread to keep up with the latest refreshed models of the Sienna and Highlander hybrid. :corsair:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

buying expensive cars interferes with Number Go Up in my retirement accounts is most of it for me

Don't need a retirement account if you smash into a telephone pole at 200 mph.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pretty much, our savings is the highest it's ever been thankfully, and I'm not gonna take a chunk out of it for a fancy car to drive to Publix or to the beach to get full of sand whats the point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Much better to die with a bunch of zeros on your balance, am I right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe if you're a loner and don't give a poo poo about anyone but yourself, sure