Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

I nearly forgot I ordered this what the golf soundtrack when I finally got the shipping notification.

Art feels familiar but I can't put my finger on it
goose game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Just a recommendation and there are only a few copies left but this is the album of the year for me. I like the album before but this completely blew me away:

Yves Tumor - Heaven to A Tortured Mind

https://yves-tumor.bandcamp.com/album/heaven-to-a-tortured-mind

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 10, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Fors Yard posted:

Just a recommendation and there are only a few copies left but this is the album of the year for me. I like the album before but this completely blew me away:

Yves Tumor - Heaven to A Tortured Mind

https://yves-tumor.bandcamp.com/album/heaven-to-a-tortured-mind

Too late. The LP is gone forever! They still have CDs.

edit: Stop making me want to buy more poo poo. Leave me alone!

edit2: Still available via Warp. Use this link to find it because their webstore is a huge loving mess:

https://warp.net/artists/91433-yves-tumor

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 11, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I had it in my cart when there was 1 left and then I realized I was trying to make myself spend $38 on a blind buy and regained my senses.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

What is the most expensive album you’ve bought off of Discogs? I am still fairly new to buying vinyl and there are some albums I would truly truly love that seem to have had limited releases. I recognize that they are being marked up to the heavens. Do I just accept that I will never own them? Or is biting the bullet every few years on something rare that you know you’re being gouged on a thing everyone does?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I once PM’d some randos asking to buy their copy of 2001 Boredoms for $100 but no one answered. Personally it would have to be something rare and special for me to spend a lot of money on discogs. I much prefer finding and buying records in person, but every once in a while I’ll give into temptation and buy something I have been wanting for a while and haven’t found. I think the most I’ve actually paid for a record off discogs was around $40.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

edit2: Still available via Warp. Use this link to find it because their webstore is a huge loving mess:

https://warp.net/artists/91433-yves-tumor

Thanks for this. I was able to do $30.46.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

What is the most expensive album you’ve bought off of Discogs? I am still fairly new to buying vinyl and there are some albums I would truly truly love that seem to have had limited releases. I recognize that they are being marked up to the heavens. Do I just accept that I will never own them? Or is biting the bullet every few years on something rare that you know you’re being gouged on a thing everyone does?

The most expensive album I bought of off Discogs was Tonetta 777 vol. 3. As for poo poo being overpriced, make an account and start a wishlist. You get alerts when people post new copies and can eventually get a good deal. You can also set up ebay alerts. Really it all comes down to patience. Any good record store will sell poo poo much cheaper than online. So eventually you'll just find what you want. A lot of poo poo gets reissued too. In the meantime there's so much other poo poo out there it doesn't really bother me to wait a couple years to get something I want for a reasonable price so that's a way of looking at it. At this point in my life my top shelf is 40 bucks and even then it has to be something special. I've paid as much as 70-100 bucks for a single album. Though in the latter case I listed it on ebay because I had two copies (long story) and it went for 300 bucks.

I've very rarely sold any of my records and the ones I have sold were just Third Man vault poo poo that was a colored variant of some poo poo I already had. Or that Pearl Jam one.

pwn posted:

I had it in my cart when there was 1 left and then I realized I was trying to make myself spend $38 on a blind buy and regained my senses.

You can hear the whole album on Bandcamp.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

That is some good life advice, and I appreciate it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

That is some good life advice, and I appreciate it.

I use to actually have money. Anyway, I know this sounds like a joke but I tell everyone new to record collecting. Just don't It's a huge money hole and probably not worth it. I'm just an autistic weirdo with an addictive personality and I've been doing this too long.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I use to actually have money. Anyway, I know this sounds like a joke but I tell everyone new to record collecting. Just don't It's a huge money hole and probably not worth it. I'm just an autistic weirdo with an addictive personality and I've been doing this too long.

It’s 100% an affectation for me and I am not collecting as much as just buying music I like. I have no interest in flipping things or anything like that. I have always supplanted whatever mild personality I naturally have by buying poo poo, and I like the personal storytelling that building a record collection says about me.

I completely get that it’s a money pit and I can just listen to Spotify but it scratches a deep OCD itch in my brain

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

All collections are huge money holes though, doesn't matter what it is. Just don't go in with the mindset of "investing" because yeah you'll never see that money back. Go in for the fun of doing it and spend within your means.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

It’s 100% an affectation for me and I am not collecting as much as just buying music I like. I have no interest in flipping things or anything like that. I have always supplanted whatever mild personality I naturally have by buying poo poo, and I like the personal storytelling that building a record collection says about me.

I completely get that it’s a money pit and I can just listen to Spotify but it scratches a deep OCD itch in my brain

Well I say collector because even if you're listening to the things instead of hoarding them as fetish items or buying them to flip them it's a collection.

Turbinosamente posted:

All collections are huge money holes though, doesn't matter what it is. Just don't go in with the mindset of "investing" because yeah you'll never see that money back. Go in for the fun of doing it and spend within your means.

Oh I don't buy anything I won't/don't actually want to listen to. I certainly don't do it as an investment. I'd probably be a lot better off if I was selling the poo poo but it's just piling up. At this point you could probably call it a problem. I'm sure anyone who's been following my posts here over all these years has already been able to paint a fairly accurate picture here.

Basically what I'm saying is libera te tutemet ex inferis.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I don't know if it's wrong or right but I've been operating on the principle that if you weed out and sell/get rid of mistakes from time to time it's a collection. If you don't then it's hoarding. It helps me sleep at night at any rate.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

I don't know if it's wrong or right but I've been operating on the principle that if you weed out and sell/get rid of mistakes from time to time it's a collection. If you don't then it's hoarding. It helps me sleep at night at any rate.

I MAKE NO MISTAKES.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I regularly prune my record collection and give away a lot during Christmas (close to about 60 a year). I am in control of my collection. Lord of the manor :colbert:

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
record collecting is worth it just to support the artists I care about. it's the main reason I pivoted from getting classic records to contemporary ones. bandcamp fridays were great for that. if that's hoarding, so be it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

I regularly prune my record collection and give away a lot during Christmas (close to about 60 a year). I am in control of my collection. Lord of the manor :colbert:

Do you ever sell any of those online?

I'm asking for a friend.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

What if you only get rid of the ones that you didn’t realize smelled bad at the time?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I MAKE NO MISTAKES.
I bought probably over 100 records in almost 2 years and yeah maybe 5-6 of those were really "mistakes". One warped, one scratched, one sucks, two are okay but a lot more bland than their successful singles let on. The rest are all great stuff.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I found I had a lot of dead time cooking or cleaning that I'd fill the empty sound with tv and it feels a lot better to put on a record and let it play. Granted I could do that with bluetooth/spotify but then I'm inclined to fiddle around with stuff and hop around songs.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Trevor Hale posted:

I got a Haruomi Hosono album that was $60, it was an original + it shipped from America which is pretty rare

ultimately when it comes to albums like that all I can say is monitor your wantlist pretty closely (at least every week). there's a Denki Groove album I really wanted that keeps getting listed at unserious prices (like $170+) but I wound up snagging a copy that was only $40 + shipping by noticing it at the top of the "items I want for sale" list. I think it comes down to the sellers not really wanting to move them unless they can get a stupid price. it's frustrating because I check it often enough to notice that a bunch of my rare holy grail type albums just really don't ever move.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Do you ever sell any of those online?

I'm asking for a friend.

yep, its how I paid for my new Turntable/Phono Pre-Amp and Amplifier.

I sold my most expensive record this year to fund all this. Worth it because I love my new turntable.

dorium fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 11, 2020

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
When I first started collecting back in 2006-2007 i would get a lot of records from thrift shops and, being small and stupid, bought a lot of dumb records that i never listened to. Getting rid of those around 2012 was like lifting a weight off my shoulders. Now i try to just buy what i want, but i still sometimes get dumb things when they’re on super sale.

The one dumb thrift store thing that “sticks” in my mind is Styx’s Paradise Theater with their name etched into the vinyl. I thought it was so cool but never liked styx and never listened to it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I found I had a lot of dead time cooking or cleaning that I'd fill the empty sound with tv and it feels a lot better to put on a record and let it play. Granted I could do that with bluetooth/spotify but then I'm inclined to fiddle around with stuff and hop around songs.
I agree, even though I more than once put on the MP3 copy of one of my albums over the vinyl so I wouldn't have to pause my cooking to turn it over

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I've been collecting since sophmore year of high school so like 18'ish years. I was definitely buy all you can get your hands on back then (which is why i ended up with some titles that would go on to be very rare up until recently (Demon Days, obscure indie bands with show only records) and started to peeter out of that going into college where I moved and focused my collection more on genre stuff that I was into at the time and it helped living in a big city that had shops that would cater exclusively to those genres, but after awhile I ended up with a more pile like collection of records than records that I felt were a part of a collection that I enjoyed. So that's been my focus for about five years now is taking a look at what I have and deciding if this was something I liked in the moment or if it was something I could see myself putting on, not regularly because the act of listening to a record is much different than putting music on spotify, but something I could look at and go "yea that's cool, lets put that on next".

I still buy a lot of records, especially this year where everything has been "self-care", but I think its much more focused and I audition a lot of music digitally to make sure its something I can see myself enjoying the act of owning a part of it and wanting to keep it around me (unless its a band or artist where I'm 100% behind them and want to support them even if they release a dud of a record) and also you can always cancel a pre-order.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Browsing Discogs has been a big head trip. I have limited space and money, and I used to abide by two rules:

* With 20+ year old music, I try to only get secondhand copies, only getting remasters/rereleases if earlier vinyls are nonexistent or stupidly expensive

* I'd limit myself only to record stores I could go to in person and their selection

This lead to me having a very scattershot collection of artists I love. Record stores in NY have a hell of a lot more copies of, say, True Stories than they do Remain in Light. That said, I managed to find some great stuff by going often, as well as some fun weird releases I would otherwise never have picked up (such as a mid-80s David Bowie picture disc of just recorded answers to interview questions for DJs to splice into their show?).

Now I'm at home and browsing around Discogs for some used records, and this is like a whole other world. It seems hard to gamble on record quality when I'm buying secondhand online, and a lot of times, when I realize that a more recent remaster is cheaper than an original record, it seems hard to justify buying used. I am paralyzed by the indecision of having basically record available to me - I made a list of artists I'd particularly like to fill out my collection of and it's long and expensive (dear god, why is Depeche Mode's Violator a $40 single LP on repress).

I kinda gave up and just started buying music I like directly from labels instead (which, btw, Sub Pop has 20% off rn, I'm finally getting the rest of the Sleater Kinney represses from five years ago), focusing on "new-ish" stuff that's still first press, or getting wide releases for the first time. I think I'll wait to fill out more of my secondhand collection until I can go to stores again, because figuring out what to get on Discogs is just way too intimidating.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

u_s_eh posted:

record collecting is worth it just to support the artists I care about. it's the main reason I pivoted from getting classic records to contemporary ones. bandcamp fridays were great for that. if that's hoarding, so be it

I’ve been doing this as well. I’m lucky enough to have disposable income during tHeSe UnPrEcEdEnTeD TiMeS so going out of my way to buy weird, random stuff from small artists I’ve never heard of has felt like the very least I can do

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Discogs is a whole other beast. I buy and sell on there so I know what I want to see when I buy something from someone and what level of communication I expect. Like Jay-Z said "I never asked for nothin' I don't demand of myself". as a buyer if a record is more than $50 outside of my country of origin I always ask for photos unless its one of those online retailers with a discogs store, then I feel more assured they're going to grade properly and package well because thats their business. Private sellers though, always ask for pics if they're international. Domestic sellers I ask for pics at the $80 mark. I dunno how I got to those numbers, but that's usually where I think people start getting a little liberal with their gradings. Especially with older stuff where I'm like, "You really think this release from 1975 is Near-Mint?" I'll need photos to verify because sometimes things are too good to be true. I trust my gut at the end of the day and if the seller isnt cooperative and wont supply pics or is kinda a jerk I just move on. There are more chances with a little bit of a patience. Selling wise I'm always upfront, will message with a thank you and a hello upon receiving an order and supply photos whenever someone asks. Just trying to live by example and hope more sellers there pick up on that.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Discogs was getting bad before COVID but it's now a full on poo poo show. Prices are out of control.

I was looking through my want list recently and it turned into an exercise to find something I could even afford. Mr. Hands of all things is going for a minimum of $20 with numerous copies listed closer to $80. It seems like everything is median $30 now regardless of popularity or condition. It's insane.

Anymore I use it as an in-store shopping list. I probably look like an rear end pulling up Discogs in the middle of a record store, but it's been a really helpful way to find the stuff I want for in person and also stop buying dupes (which I'm guilty of doing multiple times).

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

bigman.50grand posted:

Discogs was getting bad before COVID but it's now a full on poo poo show. Prices are out of control.

I was looking through my want list recently and it turned into an exercise to find something I could even afford. Mr. Hands of all things is going for a minimum of $20 with numerous copies listed closer to $80. It seems like everything is median $30 now regardless of popularity or condition. It's insane.

Anymore I use it as an in-store shopping list. I probably look like an rear end pulling up Discogs in the middle of a record store, but it's been a really helpful way to find the stuff I want for in person and also stop buying dupes (which I'm guilty of doing multiple times).

You’re right about Covid. Right after the first relief check came out, I said that if there’s another check, I will splurge on Gin Blossom’s Dusted for $100. But now it’s flirting with $300 and everything seems bonkers

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

VladimirLeninpest posted:

The one dumb thrift store thing that “sticks” in my mind is Styx’s Paradise Theater with their name etched into the vinyl. I thought it was so cool but never liked styx and never listened to it.

You can scratch Styx into a record you do like if you want.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Trevor Hale posted:

You’re right about Covid. Right after the first relief check came out, I said that if there’s another check, I will splurge on Gin Blossom’s Dusted for $100. But now it’s flirting with $300 and everything seems bonkers

I had been building my Kate Bush Remastered box set collection, starting last November. The prices of the remaining sets was in the 50-60 range in the months leading up to April. Everyone gets fun money and almost overnight the prices of every set went up, because I guess hey we know everyone has extra money now so gently caress you, and the prices kept climbing because everyone with a copy to sell sees the prices going up and idiots keep paying it so they raise theirs a little higher.

I was lucky enough to find cheap copies of II and IV. III was getting ridiculous (sometimes over $200!,) but checking it now, it’s starting to come down a bit, to “just” $100 and up. Seeing as those albums are my least liked, it’s gonna have to come down a bit further to justify. I doubt I’ll ever get it, unless I luck into a copy for 40-60.

The 2016 live album was typically 30-40 in the Before Times. Post-stimulus, $60 shipped is the minimum.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm hoping all this poo poo doesn't permanently become What Things Cost Now but it probably will. A couple weeks ago I called a record store looking for a copy of Meat is Murder and when the guy told me he wanted 75 bucks I was dumbfounded and asked if there was something special about it or it was a UK first press or something. Then he lost his poo poo and gave me this big lecture about how the pandemic made everything worth more money because everyone's buying records now. And then he "gave [me] advice" about how to buy records or whatever the gently caress. I ended up checking his discogs account and most stuff on there was triple the highest ever discogs selling price. The one that stuck out to me is that he had a run of the mill copy of Magical Mystery Tour for 60 bucks. So I'm sure the shittier sellers are going to use this as an excuse.

Anyway, I went on ebay and got a copy of Meat is Murder for 20 bucks.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
My shrine to Between the Buried and Me is underway

Took a while to get all those little shelves level, but it worked out perfect in the end

Still a few more things to mount and I have some frames arriving next week! And a new drum set to go front of it arriving tomorrow!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kumba posted:

Took a while to get all those little shelves level, but it worked out perfect in the end

Still a few more things to mount and I have some frames arriving next week! And a new drum set to go front of it arriving tomorrow!

So if you put a drum kit there and then stand in front it would you say that it's between you and Between the Buried and Me?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

So if you put a drum kit there and then stand in front it would you say that it's between you and Between the Buried and Me?

:rimshot:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Got my Bebop discs yesterday. The cover art is so infuriating. Like if someone comes over who doesn’t know what Cowboy Bebop is, they’re just gonna see this bad cheesecake and ugh. It’s so loving bad. This poo poo is embarrassing.

Yes, I’ll turn on my monitor

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kumba posted:

That one is out of level. That one over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

pwn posted:

Got my Bebop discs yesterday. The cover art is so infuriating. Like if someone comes over who doesn’t know what Cowboy Bebop is, they’re just gonna see this bad cheesecake and ugh. It’s so loving bad. This poo poo is embarrassing.

Yes, I’ll turn on my monitor

Lol that’s the only reason I didn’t buy it