Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in fo4 they also go out of their way to frame that character as the only complex person in the entire game and then your options are to kill him madly or sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cavauro posted:

in fo4 they also go out of their way to frame that character as the only complex person in the entire game and then your options are to kill him madly or sadly
yeah lol

i can’t remember, is the dive through his memories from before or after you kill him? if it’s before then double lol

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i forgot it was after and not before. i'm sorry

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I agree that the branching paths and numerous side threads are what make New Vegas better than FO3 and 4. Given this it sometimes falls to pieces (in particular "I Put a Spell on You" is the most broken quest I've ever seen in any Fallout game, it's a trainwreck) but I was impressed whenever it kept itself together. I also like the DLC, except for Lonesome Road which I found stilted and self-satisfied, as well as boring to play.

EDIT:

jesus WEP posted:

yeah lol

i can’t remember, is the dive through his memories from before or after you kill him? if it’s before then double lol

It's after, you have to take his brain module out of his head after killing him, then give it to the android detective so you can live through his memories at the Philip K. Dick dream suite or whatever. Then there's a weird bit at the end where the android speaks in the guy's voice and it implies that his personality might be corrupted or something, but it never comes up again.

I really can't believe I spent as many hours as I did playing Fallout 4.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 11, 2020

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think the FO3 vs NV question is a more interesting one than the internet gives it but I think the general consensus of NV being better isn't wrong, and I base this in some part on which one lets a man in a dinosaur kill people if he doesn't like their hat.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I never learned how to fix a broken gun in NV and it makes me stop playing the game every time

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I liked New Vegas but I am a console peasant and that game is borderline unplayable vanilla. I have tried on three seperate occasions and each time I encountered a new game-breaking bug that made me stop, cuz either a follower I liked got permanently stuck somewhere or I could not resolve a questline the way I intended to due to some issue

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

I modded it like crazy so it was the best of 'em but I'll say all the beth stuff is way way overrated.

Also thanks for posting the Tyranny EGS thing. dunno if I'll ever get around to it with game pass being as good as it is but hey, more games to play one day.

At least I think that was you.

Is Inquisition any good?

Inquisition is my favorite Bioware game easily. Great party and great relations and a great story and ending.

Cyberpunk update - I just found a smart gun that started sassing me. I kept questioning its answers so it thought I was deaf and kept increasing its volume and then it said oh wait you're just dumb and started talking slower to me. It was great. I'm really enjoying this game.

2ND Cyberpunk update - I just won a deathrace that was set up after I met a Trans bartender who then rode shotgun in our tricked out SUV with a transflag bumper sticker on the back while she shot out the window with a machine gun. She's so cool

Shard fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 11, 2020

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

My Cyberpunk update: it keeps crashing and I don’t think the textures have completely loaded once in the game. I’m bummed. Glad other people are having success with it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cavauro posted:

There are mods that not only let you skip the "Go to Diamond City/find Nick Valentine" quests and go right to the Fort, but you can also let the guy live and have him as your companion. It's...remarkedly well done. The modding community is the only reason to get a lot of mileage from Fallout 4.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The Stroker Ace posted:

My Cyberpunk update: it keeps crashing and I don’t think the textures have completely loaded once in the game. I’m bummed. Glad other people are having success with it.

I saw that it patched and came back to try it again and it crashed ninety seconds into character creation and the entire reaction I'm seeing online is comprised of people who previously weren't having crashes and now are, so, uh

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

between so many people having game-breaking problems and the game only being 'great' in small chunks spread apart it's definitely going to be considered a step back from witcher 3 even after all the free dlc and expansion(s) come out. it should outsell witcher 3 though which is nyuts. nuts. don't care

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I feel like I'm standing on the other side of the river - I'm having an absolute blast. It's everything I wanted from a Cyberpunk game. Am I finally out of touch?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

CobiWann posted:

I feel like I'm standing on the other side of the river - I'm having an absolute blast. It's everything I wanted from a Cyberpunk game. Am I finally out of touch?

i think alot of it is down to how many bugs you're experiencing, everytime I was getting real into the game it'd crash and kill my mojo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i sort of have the same experience, Mr. Cobi. but a lot of the side content is fallout 4-like. i wanted to be able to have a small meaningless conversation with many npcs, maybe with a lot of them being in factions. but there aren't any of those unless the person is part of the main story or a vendor. fallout 4 had a lot of interesting little places where you wish you could look around and talk to people but everyone in there was hostile and the place didn't mean anything and i thought devs knew that sucked and no one wanted it. but maybe i'm the only one. i'm the fucker

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cyberpunk plays like a Bethesda game from a decade ago AI wise and it’s just shooting battle to shooting battle with no real side content, just side quests to more shooting battles. There’s not a lot to see and do that means anything just areas to move through to shoot more guys and be shot at by more guys, or take them down in all the same way Deus Ex allowed you to in 1998 with no real advancement there.

I think CDPR just might be comprised of really unimaginative people.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bluedeanie posted:

I liked New Vegas but I am a console peasant and that game is borderline unplayable vanilla. I have tried on three seperate occasions and each time I encountered a new game-breaking bug that made me stop, cuz either a follower I liked got permanently stuck somewhere or I could not resolve a questline the way I intended to due to some issue
Oh yeah New Vegas on the PS3 is garbage; at some point in the game it just chugs and stutters in certain areas, that and everytime they patched it they removed good content. So yeah getting on PC and modding it is the way to go

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

Cyberpunk plays like a Bethesda game from a decade ago AI wise and it’s just shooting battle to shooting battle with no real side content, just side quests to more shooting battles. There’s not a lot to see and do that means anything just areas to move through to shoot more guys and be shot at by more guys, or take them down in all the same way Deus Ex allowed you to in 1998 with no real advancement there.

All the "Witcher 3 is like Skyrim but better!" takes baffled me at the time because as someone who played the hell out of both games, they seemed like such incredibly different things. Bethsoft tries to make fantasy immersion simulators that begrudingly have stories in them and CDPR tries to make fantasy novels that begrudgingly take place in open worlds. Witcher 3 had this giant open world, but there wasn't really anything to do with it aside from enjoy the pretty good story that happened to take place there. It makes sense to me that CDPR trying to be Bethsoft without really understanding what makes Bethsoft work is apparently just muting their own creative strengths.

Like, it's kind of a goofy complaint on the surface, but legitimately, the fact that they made a make-your-own-protagonist open-world RPG in a setting ostensibly about cyberpunk tropes and body modification where you can never actually change your own appearance once the game starts is indicative to me that they didn't really think through what inhabiting a game world means, and what a world has to be to feel like it can BE inhabited.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eat My Fuc posted:

I have no horse in the race but the Witcher series two best breaks were:

• Getting a license to a fantasy series to give them a wellspring of ideas
  • Not having the budget til 3 to do Ciri, whose story is about creepy elves or some awful poo poo so instead they had to gamify what they could do

Cyberpunk is generally an awful genre (though I've read the sprawl and bridge trilogies and loved them, so Iunno, I can think of lots of great stuff in cyberpunk but little that uses it well) so I was never all that inclined anyway

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CobiWann posted:

I think it's wonderful. I can't wait to upgrade my rig with a 3090 or whatever it is and really see what this can do. Plus I know CD Projeckt will keep patching away at this until everyone can enjoy it.

It's my favorite game of the year for sure - it scratches my particular itch.

This is also how I felt when everyone said Mass Effect 3 sucked and I really enjoyed it back in the day.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Shard posted:

I think it's wonderful. I can't wait to upgrade my rig with a 3090 or whatever it is and really see what this can do. Plus I know CD Projeckt will keep patching away at this until everyone can enjoy it.

It's my favorite game of the year for sure - it scratches my particular itch.

This is also how I felt when everyone said Mass Effect 3 sucked and I really enjoyed it back in the day.

What do you like about it? I’m just playing it with my brother on his super rig and it’s just so mediocre to me and the pseudo intellectual writing is just kind of grating, also the constant sexualization of everything from a male gaze perspective is just silly to me.

It’s not a bad game to me, it’s like as good as that Homefront game from a few years ago game play wise, but I can’t see it being anyone’s game of the year when Hades, Outer Wilds, Tshushima, Last of Us, Disco Elysium, etc dropped this year.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I enjoy the aesthetic, I like the voice actor for the feminine voice for the character, I liked all the details of the character creator, I enjoyed that I was able to make a trans character, I love Keanu Reeves in the case, I enjoy the gameplay loop and stuff is so densely packed that I can easily pop between side missions and main missions. I haven't had any bugs so I can't honestly say there is anything in it that I don't like. Also all the humor has hit for me especially the sassy smart gun.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
can you eat a cyber hot dog in this game

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Another thing I just came across - I was dealing with the AI of a limo that went crazy. It's just glados. Same voice actor and everything.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I have no interest in Cyberpunk because you can't ride a horse or say howdy to everyone in town.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I'm going to go the opposite direction of Shard and form a strong opinion on the game without having played it. That poo poo loving sucks! Hard to imagine what they were thinking when they made those side quests and to be honest, the guns? Not my thing. Anyways, hope they fix this pile of dog poo poo before too long.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I prefer CyberProg

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I have no interest in Cyberpunk because you can't ride a horse or say howdy to everyone in town.

You can walk up to Hideo Kojima and his gang of admirers and have an awkward stare down.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't plan to have a system that can play Cyberpunk in decent quality for a while, and it'll have to be pretty good when I eventually do play it to overcome the "literally has a bit modeled on a device intended to cause seizures that's story-required and at no point thought to modify it so it didn't risk killing members of the audience" aspect.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
In Fallout New Vegas the writing was really good.

In Fallout 3/4 it was really bad. Like the whole synth thing in 4 was just so dumb, shoehorned, and poorly done.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I Before E posted:

I don't plan to have a system that can play Cyberpunk in decent quality for a while, and it'll have to be pretty good when I eventually do play it to overcome the "literally has a bit modeled on a device intended to cause seizures that's story-required and at no point thought to modify it so it didn't risk killing members of the audience" aspect.

This is my CyberPunk 2077 take too, only I'm going to admit to having no intention of ever playing the video game.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i will play it if someone buys it for me, or when it goes on sale for 8 dollars in 10 months

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

oh but seriously I posted:

I prefer CyberProg

e: i am gonna get it when the actual ps5 version comes out in (???) months. Overwatch was the last AAA game I bought at launch on hype and I learned a very valuable lesson

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
See I'm a Cyber-Anti-Folk kind of guy.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I was just out with my dog while he peed an an owl chasing a bird flew right over our heads. Very cool to see.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
owls are cool. in my family, we say: owlways be kind to an owl.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

karmicknight posted:

This is my CyberPunk 2077 take too, only I'm going to admit to having no intention of ever playing the video game.

"If I eventually play it" would probably have been more accurate, "watch dogs with circumcision" isn't super appealing to me as a premise

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Look what you all made me do

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

skyrim with guns! system shock with libertarian!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Look what you all made me do

That's me