Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I love how sad Watto is in AotC. Lucas could've had Anakin come back and hate him and murder him as part of his downfall, but instead he just made Watto into total loser who feels below Anakin's attention. It's a nice touch.

Watto's "... Annie? Little Annie?" as Anakin fixes the droid is probably the best bit of digital performance in the prequels. He seems so lost in his memory as he says it, his brain firing neurons that have laid quiet for a decade as this man stands in front of him that he last saw as like, an eight year old. You can literally see him trying to put everything together in his head and it clicks as Anakin sets the droid back down. He's such a sack of failure and it feels like seeing Anakin is the first time he's felt anything approaching happiness in years, to the degree that he's wondering if he's just imagining it or not.

I'd actually watch a miniseries that depicts how Watto's shop and life fell apart on Tatooine after he lost Anakin in the bet with the Jedi. Him selling off Schmi to Lars, probably gambling that money on podraces, and getting in deep with the Hutts and trying to scurry out from under as they bring the criminal underworld down on top of him.

So yeah, as was said, Uncut Gems with Watto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I felt like finding that scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs2fHUesRe0

pretty good, one thing I kind of completely forgot was that Anakin's mother was sold to the guy who raised Luke 👀

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tbf we know he keeps slaves because buying two new slaves is basically the only thing he does in ANH.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Technically the person who bought Shmi was the father of Uncle Owen, not Owen himself. Its a proud slave owning family overall though.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

josh04 posted:

Tbf we know he keeps slaves because buying two new slaves is basically the only thing he does in ANH.

droids don't have a soul, so they only count as like half a person slave, at best.

oh wait no no, I didn't mean to start this argument again, nooo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"If droids could think, there'd be none of us here." - A Goddamn Racist

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shiroc posted:

Technically the person who bought Shmi was the father of Uncle Owen, not Owen himself. Its a proud slave owning family overall though.

quote:

"Sold her to a moisture farmer named Lars. Least I think it was Lars. Believe it or not, I heard he freed her and married her. Canya beat that?"

The Lars didn't own any slaves

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
they successfully owned two slaves for about a day before being murdered by Our Brave Imperial Troops for engaging in slavery

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I like how the sequence is this escalating series of realizations that his childhood is completely gone

Watto's an old loser
Shmi's gone
she's married, they're not each other's sole family anymore
the encounter with the Lars is awkward as hell, he's got nothing in common with them
Shmi's in danger
now she's dead

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

ungulateman posted:

they successfully owned two slaves for about a day before being murdered by Our Brave Imperial Troops for engaging in slavery

The Empire actually taking a stand against slavery

quote:

"Sold her to a moisture farmer named Lars. Least I think it was Lars. Believe it or not, I heard he freed her and married her. Canya beat that?"

Vinylshadow posted:

The Lars didn't own any slaves

That doesn't actually make it better. It makes it more gross. "I have bought myself a wife. She is not a slave but we are going to go live on my remote farm and women on Tatooine have no separate legal rights from their husbands. But she is NOT a slave."

Shmi was trying to escape from Clegg and getting caught by the Tuskens was a tragic coincidence.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's definitely a valid way to take it. A more generous read is that Cliegg and Shmi fell in love while she was a slave and he saved up to free her. Still a bad power dynamic, but a bit less uncomfortable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not sure it's supported to say that the Lars family owned any non-droid slaves. Even Owen talks about hiring some additional help, presumably in addition to the purchased droids.

There's nothing that contradicts it either, I suppose, but then we have to wonder why Anakin reassures Padme "These are good people."

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

That's definitely a valid way to take it. A more generous read is that Cliegg and Shmi fell in love while she was a slave and he saved up to free her. Still a bad power dynamic, but a bit less uncomfortable.

Watto interprets it the way Shiroc does, but it seems Anakin interprets the situation more charitably given that he trusts the Larses to take care of Padme.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

"If droids could think, there'd be none of us here." - A Goddamn Racist

glad he died tbh

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

pospysyl posted:

Watto interprets it the way Shiroc does, but it seems Anakin interprets the situation more charitably given that he trusts the Larses to take care of Padme.

I think its probably the biggest odd link in the prequels and the whole Lars section might have made more sense if Padme's family was still in the movie. The RotJ book said that Owen was Obi-Wan's brother, which would have potentially made more sense for "how did Luke end up with the Larses?" But once you establish that Jedi aren't supposed to know their families that doesn't work.

Anakin was always going to need to have some return to Tatooine for his mother somehow, so you end up with "uh, these people bought her but its fine, they're nice so that's why Obi-Wan knew of them (from Anakin telling him we guess) and since Luke is their step-mother's grandson they were willing to take him?"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Shiroc posted:

I think its probably the biggest odd link in the prequels and the whole Lars section might have made more sense if Padme's family was still in the movie. The RotJ book said that Owen was Obi-Wan's brother, which would have potentially made more sense for "how did Luke end up with the Larses?" But once you establish that Jedi aren't supposed to know their families that doesn't work.

I think that's kinda funny. Where oh where should we send the son of Anakin so he'll never be found -- well keep his name and send him to live on Tattoonie with Obi-Wan's brother and the guy who bought Anakin's mother -- Anakin will never find him there!

And it worked, so how can I criticize that plan.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://thedirect.com/article/obi-wan-kenobi-footage-description-darth-vader-lightsaber-battle

quote:

ComicBook has provided a description of the footage seen during the Obi-Wan Kenobi sizzle reel. In the video, Ewan McGregor acknowledged the heavy desire from the fans to see him don the Jedi robes again:

quote:

"There's a hunger for this character to come back. The fans have been waiting long enough, you know?"

Director Deborah Chow teased that there are Jedi Hunters out in the galaxy during this time:

quote:

"This is quite a dark time that we're coming into with him, just being a Jedi — it's not safe. There's Jedi hunters out there."

There was concept art depicting the Great Jedi Purge from Episode III:

quote:

Concept art shows a Jedi, lightsaber blade ignited, defending a trio of Younglings as the newly-anointed Darth Vader marches on the Jedi Temple with a legion of Clone Troopers.

McGregor says that Obi-Wan's sole job is to protect the son of his fallen student:

quote:

"He has this one task left, which is to keep Luke safe."

It appears that we'll be seeing both sand and sea:

quote:

More concept art shows a stingray-like creature floating above slave workers toiling away in the barren, sandy landscape of Tatooine. "We start on Tatooine, and we go on a rollicking adventure," McGregor teased over a glimpse at a watery planet, where armed soldiers fire upon a many-armed sea creature.

Vader will naturally be a part of Kenobi's story, and there's a chance he might have a throne:

quote:

"We couldn't tell the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi without addressing Anakin or Vader," Chow added over an image of the armored Vader seated on a throne as he communicates with a hologram — possibly his master, the reigning Emperor of the Galactic Empire.

McGregor's favorite part of the series? Working with an old friend again:

quote:

"The most beautiful thing of all is that it's brought me back together with Hayden. It'll be amazing to bring those characters back together again, very unexpectedly."

Obi-Wan and Vader will clash blades again:

quote:

Chow confirmed that audiences will "definitely see Obi-Wan and Darth Vader get into it again" as we see the blue blade of a hooded Obi-Wan clash with the fiery red blade of Darth Vader.

McGregor knows the battle will be eagerly anticipated, and he's looking forward to performing it just as much:

quote:

"Having another swing at each other might be quite satisfying for everybody. We hope that you enjoy it as much as we're going to enjoy making it."

Apparently Obi-Wan and Vader have another lightsaber battle 10 years after ROTS.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I sort of assumed that Luke was "hidden" with the only remaining people in the galaxy that Anakin had any connection to, and using the same name, as much to serve as bait as anything else.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yoda: "Into witness protection, go you must!"

Obi-Wan: "What shall I use as my alias, Master Yoda?"

Yoda: "Hmmmmmm............suggest, I might......BEN KENOBI."

Obi-Wan: "PERFECT."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Bongo Bill posted:

I sort of assumed that Luke was "hidden" with the only remaining people in the galaxy that Anakin had any connection to, and using the same name, as much to serve as bait as anything else.

i'm pretty sure he's not using the same name. when old ben kenobi tells him his dad was anakin skywalker, he immediately jumps on the opportunity to be different from his old, lame luke lars self and declares "i'm luke skywalker and i'm here to rescue you!!!" as a way of remaking himself. luke skywalker would never want to go to toshi station to pick up some power converters, that's the sort of lame thing luke lars would say

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still like the reasoning that there's no way Vader is ever going back to Tatooine.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still like the reasoning that there's no way Vader is ever going back to Tatooine.

Except in the recent Marvel comic (all issues of which are Disney approved), he does. To talk to Jabba about hiring bounty hunters to track down the pilot who blew up the Death Star.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the subject of changes, what prompted them to switch from the Palpatine we see in the original ESB to Ian McDiarmid in ROTJ onward?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

On the subject of changes, what prompted them to switch from the Palpatine we see in the original ESB to Ian McDiarmid in ROTJ onward?

Probably because there were more scenes of the Emperor in RotJ, and the original look didn't (or couldn't) work, and were later redone for another Special Edition rerelease for consistency's sake

The redub also changes the scene's context, where in the original, both Vader and Palpatine were on equal footing in knowing their enemy, but with Ian, the dynamic changes so that Palpatine knows and Vader is surprised by the news

My favorite comment regarding the original Emperor:

quote:

This one is the House of Representatives instead of the Senate.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Doesn't Vader still know right from the start of the movie? He says "Skywalker is with them" when he tells the generals to go to the rebel base, unless the special edition cut that out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Doesn't Vader still know right from the start of the movie? He says "Skywalker is with them" when he tells the generals to go to the rebel base, unless the special edition cut that out

Also isn’t it literally stated in the opening crawl that he’s become obsessed with finding Luke?

But yeah, as for the Emperor I personally think the change was for the better (I don’t see the original actor doing Palpatine’s later scenes nearly as much justice as Ian did).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I sense a presence, something I've not felt since... Tuesday

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2house2fly posted:

It's a bit odd, given that in the comics, Vader learns that Luke's his kid very shortly after the battle of Yavin, which turns his replies to the Emperor's statement of "I have no doubt that he's the offspring of Anakin Skywalker" into something slightly more caring with Vader's claims of "he's just a boy" and "if he can be turned, he'd make a powerful ally" and helps set up his redemption in RotJ

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Larryb posted:

Pretty sure the original is a monkey's eyes on an old ladies face with some dude doing the voice.

I don't think it would look great not in a hologram

E: Sincere apologies to Elaine Baker, special effect wizard Rick Baker's wife, who played the human part of it at the young age of like 25

BiggestBatman fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 14, 2020

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Yikes, I forgot how janky the original one looked.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Looks like a video game!!!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Of course Palpatine has always known full well that Anakin's son is out there and specifically said "we should kill him" so that Vader would suggest turning him instead, effectively volunteering to train his replacement

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Glottis posted:

Yikes, I forgot how janky the original one looked.
The PT/OT Blu Ray discs have a featurette on "stuff found in the Lucasfilm" archives, one showing Leia's un(hologram) processed scenes for ANH.

Seriously want to see "monkey eyes superimposed on old woman" for the original Emperor hologram.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

2house2fly posted:

Of course Palpatine has always known full well that Anakin's son is out there and specifically said "we should kill him" so that Vader would suggest turning him instead, effectively volunteering to train his replacement

That wouldn't at all be surprising, wanting to trade in his old and busted Skywalker for the new model.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I dont mind Sheev in ESB, but I've got a soft spot for the Marjorie Eaton emperor. I was watching the really good psychosexual mermaid-witch flick Night Tide and was surprised that I recognized her

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Cheesus posted:

The PT/OT Blu Ray discs have a featurette on "stuff found in the Lucasfilm" archives, one showing Leia's un(hologram) processed scenes for ANH.

Seriously want to see "monkey eyes superimposed on old woman" for the original Emperor hologram.

The best I've been able to find are photos of the old woman sans-monkey eyes during filming.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vader was pretending that he wasn't already looking for his son. Sheev may have been pretending that he didn't already know what Vader was up to.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tomtrek posted:

The best I've been able to find are photos of the old woman sans-monkey eyes during filming.

And here.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Cheesus posted:

Rian used these to get different angles on the hologram in TLJ as I recall

e: speaking of which, is there any way to watch Director and the Jedi without buying a physical copy of TLJ?

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it’s on Disney +