Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I'm watching the OSHA violation vid and I'm not surprised if they got in trouble for it lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDWB_PP92KQ
oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I can't see how you can make a business doing thousand dollar high end gaming tables. I'm reminded of a guy on Dragons Den (the UK shark tank) who was trying to sell luxury olive-oil tasting tours (like a wine tasting tour, you could see the farm invest in some barrels, all that vinter stuff, but oil) and the Dragons were pretty blunt - its not a business, its a one-man operation.You can fund a nice life, but its not something people will invest in. Stop trying to be a business and enjoy your semi-retirement.

Except his business model didn't involve giving people exciting sorts of eye and lung damage.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

the guy doing the painting and finishing wears no eye protection lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

I stopped the video when he loudly contradicted that those pipes were outputting steam and insisted that they were humidity, then went back and watched more after your guys comments.

How much of an idiot to you have to be to put out video publicly saying that regulations are stupid and your employees are free to ignore them. Did he get his CEO title out of a cracker jack box

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I can't see how you can make a business doing thousand dollar high end gaming tables. I'm reminded of a guy on Dragons Den (the UK shark tank) who was trying to sell luxury olive-oil tasting tours (like a wine tasting tour, you could see the farm invest in some barrels, all that vinter stuff, but oil) and the Dragons were pretty blunt - its not a business, its a one-man operation.You can fund a nice life, but its not something people will invest in. Stop trying to be a business and enjoy your semi-retirement.

Except his business model didn't involve giving people exciting sorts of eye and lung damage.

I think this is part of why it failed. They tried to ramp up massively. I actually think you could make a business doing this, but you'd have to like.. know how to do business. Manage cash flow, understand the difference between cash accounting and accrual accounting, manage vendor relationships and credit, work with a bank.

Like about 50% of a business degree is garbage bullshit, but 50% isnt.

There's a lot of lonely nerds who are eager to spend $1000+ on a high-end gaming table, but the difference between "building poo poo in a garage" and producing at scale not insignificant.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
There's a guy who posts on the Golf subreddit all the time that does high-end custom wooden putters. He's got a small shop, only takes a limited number of orders at a time, and it's just him and an assistant. What a dumb strategy the table dudes had.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's really hard to undersell how bad the Geek Chic guys were at business. They had people throwing huge amounts of money at them per table and fully willing to wait months/years to get their nerd tables. When your product demand is that insanely high you can't really fail unless you seriously gently caress up.

Based on that article their entire plan was to grow as rapidly as possible even if it meant eating a loss every single year and eventually hit some mythical profitability point.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

pentyne posted:

Based on that article their entire plan was to grow as rapidly as possible even if it meant eating a loss every single year and eventually hit some mythical profitability point.

Bezos actually started a book store for very good reasons, and his business plan scales practically into infinity. Overpriced gaming tables only scales to the number of extant nerds who will buy them. But I think people just say "like amazon" and think it's magic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Bezos actually started a book store for very good reasons, and his business plan scales practically into infinity. Overpriced gaming tables only scales to the number of extant nerds who will buy them. But I think people just say "like amazon" and think it's magic.

Amazon is basically a case study for like the only example of that working and a huge part was very early on they were extremely business minded and not patting themselves on the back about how great they would be while dressing up like turn of the century car salesmen.

One of the big "red flags" that comes up in those Shark Tank pitches is when they find out the owners are drawing down like 6 figure salaries and complaining about not being able to afford production costs and poo poo. I'm sure the Geek Chic owners/execs were paying themselves pretty high salaries.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I will submit WeWork and the Silicon Valley magical unicorn strategy, or how Uber kept getting bailed out because people wanted it really hard to exist.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I will submit WeWork and the Silicon Valley magical unicorn strategy, or how Uber kept getting bailed out because people wanted it really hard to exist.

It can get keep getting tons of funding, assuming it has massive scalability. Uber or WeWork could potentially be a trillion-dollar company, how many elite gaming tables does a nerd need? 7? It can't be more than 8. So you can calculate the possible total revenues of the company.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The business concept for something like Uber or Amazon is "achieve a monopoly in an industry, then extract monopoly rents." It's worth almost any amount of investment if your end-state monopoly is "control of all internet commerce." Not so much if the goal is "the #1 retailer of weird tables."

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Pay someone on taskrabbit to build you a gaming table

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3tYvIkVrTo

ed: I cannot overstate the infuriating hilarity of every second of this video and also the comments

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 11, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

ed: I cannot overstate the infuriating hilarity of every second of this video and also the comments

gently caress this stupid baby

e: resigning because he doesn't want to create a HR dept, what a dumb motherfucker, I'm only watching this because he's quitting

e: hahaha zero tolerance for no masks, because that's how regulation works, ok? with immediate termination

e: so that was horrible. at least he admits that he's the problem, his call for people to not be disgruntled was nonsense because he was saying "i can't wrap my head around someone who loves their job but also thinks management are a bunch of idiots"

last comment: this guy fundamentally does not understand what policies and procedures exist for. He talks about pulling pay increases out of his rear end like that's something any employee would ever actually want, and that seems to be the pattern for his entire philosophy of management which is like Michael Scott level of misunderstanding his job

He was against having an EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK.

mewse posted:

Did he get his CEO title out of a cracker jack box

mewse fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 11, 2020

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"On health and well-being, health care will be a thing. We will, uh, yeah – we will get health care. I have no idea what that means, but we'll do it."

ed: Did you see the comment that says this is like seeing an indie developer get bought out by EA

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 11, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

This guy is loving amazing.

Watching that video is an experience. This guy is definitely not going places, once he gets fired by the new CEO he's gonna be back doing OSHAless builds of tables in his garage.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 11, 2020

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Tblr - a network of independent gaming table contractors who construct tables from an ikea like guide in their own garages.

I'm about to make a billion dollars. No, what's the number above a trillion? That much.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've seen some stupid loving comments on YouTube in my time, but drat

Guaranteed every one of these dolts worships Elon Musk

Heath fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 11, 2020

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

This rocks. I love this man. "I'm like an action elemental."

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

He's simply too libertarian to continue to be a do-nothing CEO and now he will quit and let it be functional. Lmfao

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This guy's a piece of poo poo, but props to him for knowing he's the wrong guy to be ceo and just stepping down

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Everyone there should have known he makes awful decisions when he woke up, looked at a photo of Abraham Lincoln, and said “that’s the facial hair I want to go for in my life.”

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that job would have to pay extremely well for me to stick around

the triple threat of that beard, the fact that he makes the shop floor vlog, and the risk of some guy too high to operate equipment launching buzzsaws in 8 possible directions like Metal Blades???

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In the first minutes of his speech, he said season 1, episode 1. Is the guy trying to pitch these videos to a network exec for a show deal or something?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yes.

staguar
Aug 29, 2004
Imagine being this furious about your employees wanting you to have an HR department and a safe workspace

mewse
May 2, 2006

He's not even leaving the company so guess whether his compensation is adjusted after "resigning"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

staguar posted:

Imagine being this furious about your employees wanting you to have an HR department and a safe workspace

I'm guessing the first person to sue the company for any kind of harassment/discrimination is going to rake in the cash as part of the evidence of the hostile work environment will be the video the CEO filmed of himself ranting on the shop floor how HR departments are a waste of money.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

I'm guessing the first person to sue the company for any kind of harassment/discrimination is going to rake in the cash as part of the evidence of the hostile work environment will be the video the CEO filmed of himself ranting on the shop floor how HR departments are a waste of money.

Most HR people are garbage and they exist to limit the companies liability not protect employees. Most of the functions of HR departments were once handled by union reps.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Most HR people are garbage and they exist to limit the companies liability not protect employees. Most of the functions of HR departments were once handled by union reps.

Yeah but still having your CEO posting YouTube rants against having an HR dept isn't going to look good for the company if sued for any worker complaints.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

Yeah but still having your CEO posting YouTube rants against having an HR dept isn't going to look good for the company if sued for any worker complaints.

No, I agree, that guy is hilariously stupid, and is walking litigation.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Pat did a Book 3 Q&A on his stream, taking questions in advance. All of this is stolen/summarised/boiled-down from the Kingkiller Reddit:

Rothfart Says posted:

Yes, Bast would gently caress the Cthaeh. He might be afraid, but Bast is... experienced.

DoS probably will not be as long as WMF (shouldn't be, and doesn't need to be), and will be a single volume.

Won't answer what the Cthaeh looks like, except that it lives in and is not a tree.

Writing DoS is fun, pressure is not. Analogy: you have a significant other who is really all-around awesome, but your five million parents are constantly asking when they'll get grandkids.

Pat's in a better place mentally than he has been, which carries over to writing.

Crazy Martin ≠ Marten

"Roah can lock away a name" = "dons tinfoil hat" = "deep-Reddit-thread-y", but Roah is probably important.

Best edits for the first two books: added frame/Bast, added Auri, added conflict with Lorren.

Q: Would you be interesting in writing about Temerant 1-2 centuries after Kvothe? A: Will there be a Temerant 1-2 centuries after Kvothe? Also, more interested in 5 centuries before, or way earlier around the Creation War.

Time elapsed between end of WMF to the end of DoS is between 1-100 years

Pat's excited about more Fae in DoS, "that's good poo poo".

Doesn't read fan-theories.

Prose style developed substantially between starting NOTW and publishing it, much less since

Shies away from talking about book 3 because of all the online abuse that results.

Tension in the frame will not be fully resolved at the end of DoS.

Doesn't expect to ever get tired of writing Temerant.

Number of characters who survive the story ≠ 2

"Can Kote play the lute/will Chronicler continue his journey?" are interesting questions.

Between 20% and 50% of DoS set at University (NOTW and WMF are approximately 40%)

Skarpi's probably in book 3

I just read the line-by-line summary but based on reading the comments, it all worked as intended. Rothfuss gave juuuust enough info to keep fans bated and guessing without anything solid - "Never get sick of Temerant", "Interested in centuries before", "Will there be a Temerant after Kvothe?" means sequels and prequels to look forward to after Doors of Stone! - while the submitted in advance nature of the questions means he cherry-picked the softballs.

Poor Redditor with Stockholm Syndrome posted:

Yup. I officially no longer have beef with him. This is all i ever wanted

A Different Redditor with Stockholm Syndrome posted:

This is the bare minimum I demanded. Now I am completely satisfied.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Pat's excited about more Fae in DoS, "that's good poo poo".

rothfuss, finally getting inspiration to start writing DoS: "what if gvothe hosed felurian's hotter sister"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Can't wait for all those sequels/prequels that will come out after book 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Rothfuss is only answering about book 3 for the first time in 7 years because he was facing a river of doubt over the book ever coming out.

I'd be shocked if anything he said was based in anything he'd actually written in a decade rather then whatever ideas he's got from his "original" draft.

I remember when Fallout 4 came out he tried to stream it and lost his poo poo on the comments asking about book 3. He's clearly forced into all this book 3 chat after his editor's comments.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 15, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mewse posted:

Can't wait for all those sequels/prequels that will come out before book 3, possibly after Rothfuss dies but definitely not before he runs out of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now my question is: is NoTW the Star Citizen of books, or is Star Citizen the NoTW of computer games?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

eXXon posted:

Now my question is: is NoTW the Star Citizen of books, or is Star Citizen the NoTW of computer games?
Star Citizen is the The Winds of Winter of games (Rothfart is small fry and doesn't deserve the comparison); The Name of the Wind is the Duke Nukem Forever of books (it took over a decade to come out but was released).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quote:

This is the bare minimum I demanded. Now I am completely satisfied.

Is that paraphrasing, the saddest fan ever, or a desperate alt account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That's a real "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice" situation for those redditors.