Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Pat did a Book 3 Q&A on his stream, taking questions in advance. All of this is stolen/summarised/boiled-down from the Kingkiller Reddit:

I just read the line-by-line summary but based on reading the comments, it all worked as intended. Rothfuss gave juuuust enough info to keep fans bated and guessing without anything solid - "Never get sick of Temerant", "Interested in centuries before", "Will there be a Temerant after Kvothe?" means sequels and prequels to look forward to after Doors of Stone! - while the submitted in advance nature of the questions means he cherry-picked the softballs.

He's so gross and creepy and this is all so clearly bs it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

He's so gross and creepy and this is all so clearly bs it's amazing.

He really sounds like a DM talking about his own self created d20 game he keeps insisting will be so much better then Dungeons & Dragons.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Star Citizen is the The Winds of Winter of games (Rothfart is small fry and doesn't deserve the comparison); The Name of the Wind is the Duke Nukem Forever of books (it took over a decade to come out but was released).

Star Citizen is remarkably obscure given the amount of money that it raised, presumably because a large fraction came from small pods of whales spending thousands of dollars. It certainly doesn't have the recognition ASoIaF did even before Game of Thrones.

Then again, ASoIaF took 15 years to release 5/7 books (2-3 of which are good) and has had 9 years of silence, versus KKC releasing 2/3 mediocre-to-bad books in 4 years and also having no ending in sight 9 years later. Star Citizen's kickstarter is "only" 8 years old. It's so hard to decide.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Man, some of those answers are particularly hot garbage. The next book will cover... between a year and a century? The number of surviving characters will not be exactly 2? C'mon, dude, at least try.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

eXXon posted:

Now my question is: is NoTW the Star Citizen of books, or is Star Citizen the NoTW of computer games?

Neither, it's the Duke Nukem Forever of books.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I love how none of the cultists are engaging with the fact that none of this has been seen by an editor.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I love how none of the cultists are engaging with the fact that none of this has been seen by an editor.

But Rothfuss is a geeeeenius, everything he writes is perfect, an editor would only despoil his masterpiece, blah blah blah.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
He talked a lot about how closely he worked with his editor on The Wise Man's Fear and how important she was to how it turned out so well.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
When his editor called him out for not writing, I wonder if he reached out to contact her about things - an apology, a progress report, etc. - or if he scuttled into the dark and is avoiding the situation. No idea on the behind-the-scenes situation on that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

When his editor called him out for not writing, I wonder if he reached out to contact her about things - an apology, a progress report, etc. - or if he scuttled into the dark and is avoiding the situation. No idea on the behind-the-scenes situation on that.

Search your heart, you know the answer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he contacted the publisher and wanted an apology from them.
(lol if you mean he apologized to them)

staguar
Aug 29, 2004

Captain Hotbutt posted:

He made a fort out of Cheerios boxes and hid inside it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I assumed that's why he did this reddit thing, to try to repudiate her claims.

Do you mean like, does he personally care about this professional relationship with people who work in the publishing industry and is he managing that?

Uh that's a silent no of three parts, one part the cut gas sound of a paunchy neckbeard who dresses like a tween shopping at Hot Topic farting, one part the sound of a beard elemental jerking himself off reading his own prose in his debut novel, and one part the muted cash register noise going off every time his "charity" gets a donation he can siphon 40% off of.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pseudanonymous posted:

the cut gas sound of a paunchy neckbeard who dresses like a tween shopping at Hot Topic farting
Excuse me, but that's clearly a patient, cut-cheese sound.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Excuse me, but that's clearly a patient, cut-cheese sound.

If I put that much thought into it it would be more than he has in 8 years of intense work on a novel.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's times I feel bad for Rothfuss, because I don't think he did the necessary work into learning how to construct plot and character before stumbling into incredible success. That sabotaged his growth because he now never has to write the book, the money wont run out before he dies as long as he's not a total moron with his investments. All the posturing is just a way to hide the insecurity that he has huge gaps in his skillset, and after 8 years of playing games on twitch the ability he has probably atrophied so its even harder to begin again and deliver one of the most anticipated fantasy books of modern times.

Other writers who didn't find such instant success had to work a lot harder and have more muscle memory and trained discipline to rely on when the words won't come.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah he invested a bunch of money into a shop making custom gaming tables that actually wants to be a reality tv show and has had numerous safety and leadership concerns just in the last 3 weeks.

So no, I don’t think he’s going to be smart in his investments.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Daric posted:

Yeah he invested a bunch of money into a shop making custom gaming tables that actually wants to be a reality tv show and has had numerous safety and leadership concerns just in the last 3 weeks.

Well the first time he did that his losses were bad luck, couldn't be predicted. This one is a sure thing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

can't wait for him to launch his own line, Tacky: A Beautiful Game Table

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Daric posted:

He has twice invested in shops making custom gaming tables that had leadership concerns.
Before Wyrmwood, there was Geek Chic.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Daric posted:

I don't actually think custom gaming tables is a bad idea for a business, especially if it was run by a business that made furniture and added a line making custom tables for gamers and brought on board a gamer to manage and market it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't actually think custom gaming tables is a bad idea for a business, especially if it was run by a business that made furniture and added a line making custom tables for gamers and brought on board a gamer to manage and market it.

It's a fantastic idea because Geek Chic had a 6 month waitlist and people were beating down their doors to buy those bespoke gaming tables.

Its just those people ran it like morons and burned tons of capital trying to act like a tech unicorn.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pentyne posted:

It's a fantastic idea because Geek Chic had a 6 month waitlist and people were beating down their doors to buy those bespoke gaming tables.

Its just those people ran it like morons and burned tons of capital trying to act like a tech unicorn.

The last 20 years have really hosed up our concept of the trajectory of a small business, haven't they?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Heath posted:

The last 20 years have really hosed up our concept of the trajectory of a small business, haven't they?

25, really. Amazon was founded in '94, eBay in '95. Craigslist became a website in '96, and AOL went "unlimited" in the same year.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

He has twice invested in shops making custom gaming tables that had leadership concerns.
Before Wyrmwood, there was Geek Chic.

Holy poo poo, I thought this was all the same company. He's done it again??? :psypop:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What makes a gaming table different from a regular table?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

the gaming table has a coating that keeps mountain dew from soaking in

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It has drawers and trays and poo poo for your nerd poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

the people who made it are just like you; they eat cheerios too, they drink mountain dew, and they know what a thac0 is.

what? did you want a table made by some regular person, or god-forbid some :females: who weren't bullied in school for being into fantasy novels and video games?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It has drawers and trays and poo poo for your nerd poo poo.

Why have I never heard of drawers, I must order this table immediately

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i haven't looked at what wyrmwood does but the real answer: geek chic tables had lots of options for removable panels, could have grids etched into them, could have big built-in DM screens you would pull up from the table's surface, recessed pockets to roll dice in without them falling off, all kinds of poo poo like that. if you had a stupid amount of money to get a tricked out one they were actually really good pieces of hardware if you were deep in that particular nerd hole

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm a big nerd and I just use a regular table.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
If I ever get around to finishing my basement there a nonzero chance I'll put a gaming table down there (that I build myself).

Problem is I'm an adult man with adult friends and getting more than 2 or 3 of us in one place is an impossible feat so board game nights don't happen too often anymore.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm a big nerd and I just use a regular table.

i sleep on a big table with my wife

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It was hard enough to get any of my big nerd friends in the same room together before the pandemic, now it's even harder

e: to clarify we can all physically fit into the same room, easily.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

pentyne posted:

the people who made it are just like you; they eat cheerios too, they drink mountain dew, and they know what a thac0 is.

what? did you want a table made by some regular person, or god-forbid some :females: who weren't bullied in school for being into fantasy novels and video games?

It's an acronym and needs to be capitalized as THAC0 you monster. :wotwot:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Scholtz posted:

It was hard enough to get any of my big nerd friends in the same room together before the pandemic, now it's even harder

e: to clarify we can all physically fit into the same room, easily.

Methinks the goon does protest too much...

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

Nobody actually knows what THAC0 is.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
rothfart lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxU-7XiEN30