Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

wesleywillis posted:

Because most people are stupid as gently caress.

x10^96215

Countries lacking politicians with brains or backbones are letting people do what they want, and what they want to do is be and act stupid as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blitter posted:

I don't know how many times it needs to be explained but YOU DO NOT GET HERD IMMUNITY FROM ENDEMIC SPREADING OF DISEASE.

How the gently caress are people still confused about this one loving year into a pandemic?

We put our heads together in the CSPAM thread trying to figure out if any historical pandemics had burned themselves out naturally and couldn't come up with any. Not even the Plague of Justinian (541–549 AD) which killed about a fifth of the population of Rome.

quote:

A closely related strain of the Yersinia pestis strain that caused the Plague of Justinian has been detected in modern day China and Kyrgyzstan : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5658180/

The Black Death was a different strain of Y. pestis but that also kept returning throughout Europe, Asia and the Mediterranean for hundreds of years before spreading to Australia and the US and the rest of the world in the 20th century. It's been kicking around since neolithic times but it wasn't until about 4,000 years ago that it became highly virulent and really started kicking our asses and we're still not done with it.

quote:

They've performed DNA exams on human remains from the neolithic period, Bronze Age Eurasia, ancient China, ancient Rome, 1660s London and other specific points in history where plague broke out and using PCR and single nucleotide polymorphism typing methods they've isolated the specific strains of Yersinia pestis plague from each of them and mapped out a fairly comprehensive phylogenetic family tree. There's dozens and dozens of distinct strains but three main ones that have caused the major historical plagues: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yersinia_pestis#Ancient_DNA_evidence

The most recent big outbreak was in Madagascar in 2014 and 2017 where several hundred people died. It's also pretty widespread in several US animal species such as prairie dogs.

Ebola gets squashed down hard every time it's detected and after the first few outbreaks in the 1970s it pretty much disappeared for a few decades until it came back in the mid 1990s and ever since then we've had an outbreak every few years. The most recent outbreak ended just last month.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ebola_outbreaks

E: imagine if there'd been an ebola outbreak in the US under the Trump administration AH HA HA HA HA gently caress

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

E: imagine if there'd been an ebola outbreak in the US under the Trump administration AH HA HA HA HA gently caress
I said that a few days ago and guessed that if this had been Ebola things would be different because people watched that movie about Ebola. Covid doesn’t have a movie.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
BREAKING: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is now quarantined after contacting someone at State Dept with #COVID19. Pompeo recently also threw a large party with ~60 people at the State Dept.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.
My wife is a freelance graphic designer whose work slowed down significantly earlier this year. She applied for and received unemployment money in Utah due to her reduced income for a few months. Now the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance office emailed her saying she needs to certify direct covid contact each week she filed or pay it all back.

She works from home. It seems like the PUA office moved the goalposts after the fact.

:negative:

Have any of y’all gotten a similar email?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mithaldu posted:

BREAKING: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is now quarantined after contacting someone at State Dept with #COVID19. Pompeo recently also threw a large party with ~60 people at the State Dept.

The 800+ invitees who didn't turn up will be super happy about their decision now. :v:

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1339024062341935104

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jesse Ventura posted:

My wife is a freelance graphic designer whose work slowed down significantly earlier this year. She applied for and received unemployment money in Utah due to her reduced income for a few months. Now the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance office emailed her saying she needs to certify direct covid contact each week she filed or pay it all back.

She works from home. It seems like the PUA office moved the goalposts after the fact.

Holy christ that's some egregious bullshit they pulled on you guys

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Boiled Water posted:

The English treat every problem like its the blitz, and if you just have enough stiffness in your lips it will blow over

There was a German comedian, Henning Wehn, who had a good bit about that when performing in England:

quote:

“Everyone in Britain takes personal credit for Britain winning it, even people that weren’t born at the time.” What about those in their 70s today? “How did you help win the war when you were just 10 years old?” Mr. Wehn asked. “You were nothing but a drain on British resources. Effectively, every 70-year-old Brit fought on the side of Nazi Germany.”...

...He likes to tell a story about his first night in Britain, when he turned on the television and promptly stumbled across a black-and-white film about the war. “Look at that, a documentary about World War II. What are the chances?” he recalled thinking. “Now I know: They are 100 percent.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/24/arts/a-german-comedian-in-london-working-out-the-war-in-punch-lines.html

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

teen witch posted:

At least you didn’t get a text from the government reminding you of the loosely applied recommendations with the suggestion of going to a URL but not the actual URL included in it.

lmao my state governor likes to tweet about "Updates to guidelines" without including the actual terms of the new guidelines, or where to find them

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
German comedy? lol

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Welp, there goes indoor dining in my county. Hopefully the state follows up shortly, kind of pointless being a per county thing.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jesse Ventura posted:

I was told I had been overpaid PUA because I gave them my gross income instead of net. This is Colorado so they told me not to worry about paying anything back.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There was a German comedian, Henning Wehn, who had a good bit about that when performing in England:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/24/arts/a-german-comedian-in-london-working-out-the-war-in-punch-lines.html

Meanwhile, every German from that period tries to pretend they were on a multi-year vacation when something they don't really know about happened.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jesse Ventura posted:

Based on what I understand she didn’t meet the criteria for PUA from the outset. People who could work remotely were generally not eligible.

I’m not saying it’s fair or logical they made all these weird specific criteria, but they didn’t change the rules after the fact.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1339198306795261952

I guess the good news is that there'll be more vaccine for the rest of us??

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Boiled Water posted:

The English treat every problem like its the blitz, and if you just have enough stiffness in your lips it will blow over

As far as I know, the majority of them still at least turned their lights off at night, rather than leave them on in the name of personal freedom

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1339198306795261952

I guess the good news is that there'll be more vaccine for the rest of us??
Is it bad how little I care as long as anyone who wants it can get it?

I know there are big, important reasons why full vaccination is a social and epidemiological good, and the folks who refuse over political reasons are themselves victims. But over the past 9 months I have simply run out of the emotional capacity to care about the well-being of those who don't care about their own well-being. That tank has been running on fumes for a while.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Based on what I understand she didn’t meet the criteria for PUA from the outset. People who could work remotely were generally not eligible.

I’m not saying it’s fair or logical they made all these weird specific criteria, but they didn’t change the rules after the fact.

being a freelancer who had their clients close or cancel projects is a perfectly valid reason to apply for pua

they probably just want her to check some boxes reading "yes, i really was closed/had no work due to covid"

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I dip in and out of this thread so pardon me if it's been discussed, but does anyone feel that, in effort for Repubs to "dump" the problem on Biden, they will stop suppressing numbers and make it seem like the actual death tolls are even higher? I mean we know the efforts they've gone through to suppress the numbers already in places like Georgia and Florida. ...Though I suppose the "excess deaths" total would show us that number anyway...I just worry about all the ways those poo poo heads will try to make it His Fault. At an any rate, 500k dead or whatever will still forever be insane (at least till the civil war starts)

On a nicer note, anyone have link to a really dope (but not super expensive) mask? I've been using the same bear, cat, and kawaii :3 type black face ones since March. I think I want one that's cute and cool. Ok thank and God bles! 🙏

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

dwarf74 posted:

I know there are big, important reasons why full vaccination is a social and epidemiological good, and the folks who refuse over political reasons are themselves victims. But over the past 9 months I have simply run out of the emotional capacity to care about the well-being of those who don't care about their own well-being. That tank has been running on fumes for a while.

because if they don't get the vaccine, they'll keep it alive in your community and you'll be even more drained dealing with outbreaks every year or so

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blitter posted:

I don't know how many times it needs to be explained but YOU DO NOT GET HERD IMMUNITY FROM ENDEMIC SPREADING OF DISEASE.

How the gently caress are people still confused about this one loving year into a pandemic?

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1339260888126283784

Vakal
May 11, 2008
In Canada the government is starting to send out letters to the 4 million or so people that have been CERB all year basically say "Oh hey, we actually never checked if you actually qualified for the $20,000 we sent you. If you didn't deserve it please send it back, although we can't technically make you do that and there will be no repercussions if you don't."

Now that the vaccines are starting to flow I imagine there's going to be a lot of buyer's remorse going on.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

dwarf74 posted:

It's not just their well being. Having a reservoir of people susceptible to infection and an unknown immunity window means endemic disease - an endless cycle of new mutations, vaccines and deaths and damage from disease will be the reward for insufficient compliance to immunization.

Hmn. Feels like a familiar post..

Blitter posted:

Also it is amazing that the American approach is to let it become endemic, and wait for a solution that may not come, and even then, probably not take it.

:thumbsup:

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

How much more hospital capacity would've been required to actually attempt an "infect everybody now" nationwide superspreader extravaganza?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pakistani politics posted:

I dip in and out of this thread so pardon me if it's been discussed, but does anyone feel that, in effort for Repubs to "dump" the problem on Biden, they will stop suppressing numbers and make it seem like the actual death tolls are even higher? I mean we know the efforts they've gone through to suppress the numbers already in places like Georgia and Florida. ...

Yeah it's pretty clear already that the R states have been fiddling with the books to make their team look better. No need to do that now.

https://twitter.com/SunSentinel/status/1339021033093918721

Pakistani politics posted:

Though I suppose the "excess deaths" total would show us that number anyway...I just worry about all the ways those poo poo heads will try to make it His Fault. At an any rate, 500k dead or whatever will still forever be insane (at least till the civil war starts)

If you look at the graphs of covid death rates they almost always have a much longer tail compared to the initial upswing, often with at least double the numbers:

If the graph suddenly pivoted and the numbers started trending back down again starting from tomorrow there'd still be another 500,000 deaths baked in at this point, that's pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Of course the graph isn't going to improve any time soon, the US is only at the start of the Thanksgiving surge and there'll probably be a similar Christmas surge starting in late January.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
its going to become a disease of the poor + working class and with our increasingly privatized healthcare system, america is well on its way to reinforcing its current caste system even further

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
People still don't give a poo poo about taking precautions, or even doing the bare minimum for other people

https://twitter.com/chrisgayomali/status/1339242530903379974

quote:

The photographer, who has asthma and three kids, left with her assistant before the night was over. Her exit was tense. The wedding planner said it was the most unprofessional thing she’d ever seen. Bridesmaids accused her of heartlessly ruining an innocent woman’s wedding day. She recalls one bridesmaid telling her, “I’m a teacher, I have fourteen students. If I’m willing to risk it, why aren’t you?” Another said everyone was going to get COVID eventually, so what was the big deal? The friend of the bride who’d spilled the beans cried about being the “worst bridesmaid ever.”

After the photographer left, she canceled her Thanksgiving plans with family, sent her kids to relatives’ houses so they wouldn’t get sick, and informed the brides of her upcoming weddings that she’d be subcontracting to other shooters. A few days later she started to feel sick, and sure enough, tested positive for COVID-19. She informed the couple. “But they didn’t care,” she says. They didn’t offer to compensate her for the test, nor did they apologize for getting her sick.

quote:

The photographer who got sick after shooting the COVID-positive groom said her experiences throughout the pandemic have left her a little depressed. She recalled one conversation from that wedding, before she left the reception. “I have children,” she told a bridesmaid, “What if my children die?” The bridesmaid responded, “I understand, but this is her wedding day.”

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I got into wow classic late last year and I'm pretty glad I did because it's a nice distraction from the horrors of daily life. I miss going places and doing things but wow has been a decent social outlet with all the friends I've made playing it.

If you're struggling mentally with the isolation of the pandemic it might not be the worst idea to find some sort of online game or hobby to distract yourself.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Why would they have paid out in the first place if she didn’t qualify?

e: is this one of those rare cases where the gov’t pays out assistance without means testing, figuring they will get it back from the people they determine didn’t need it?

Jesse Ventura fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 16, 2020

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jesse Ventura posted:

Why would they have paid out in the first place if she didn’t qualify?

e: is this one of those rare cases where the gov’t pays out assistance without means testing, figuring they will get it back from the people they determine didn’t need it?

did she log in and see what kind of certification are they looking for? are they demanding that she send some kind of documentation or do they just want her to retroactively check some "i really was out of work because of covid" boxes on previously certified weeks?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ginette Reno posted:

I got into wow classic late last year and I'm pretty glad I did because it's a nice distraction from the horrors of daily life. I miss going places and doing things but wow has been a decent social outlet with all the friends I've made playing it.

If you're struggling mentally with the isolation of the pandemic it might not be the worst idea to find some sort of online game or hobby to distract yourself.

Good call. I marathoned Nathan for You,that was excellent. Currently going through Halt & Catch Fire, also great.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

People still don't give a poo poo about taking precautions, or even doing the bare minimum for other people

america's toxic fetishization of prom and weddings turns deadly.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

The_Franz posted:

did she log in and see what kind of certification are they looking for? are they demanding that she send some kind of documentation or do they just want her to retroactively check some "i really was out of work because of covid" boxes on previously certified weeks?

She has to answer a bunch of yes/no questions that don’t really apply to her situation as a self-employed person and write a detailed explanation for each week’s filing that explains how her business was impacted by the pandemic. I guess I should wait to see if she’s ultimately denied before I freak out over this

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Good call. I marathoned Nathan for You,that was excellent. Currently going through Halt & Catch Fire, also great.

Nathan For You is so good. He's also a producer on a new show How To with John Wilson. I've only seen clips but it definitely seemed in line with Nathan's style of humor if you're into that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jesse Ventura posted:

She has to answer a bunch of yes/no questions that don’t really apply to her situation as a self-employed person and write a detailed explanation for each week’s filing that explains how her business was impacted by the pandemic. I guess I should wait to see if she’s ultimately denied before I freak out over this

the checkboxes sound similar to what other states require. the essay thing is weird, but i wouldn't worry about it as state unemployment offices are massively overloaded and there is no way a person is actually going to read the millions of backdated weekly reports. just don't be snarky and put anything like "lol fraud" or "weekly booze money" that might get caught in an automated keyword search

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ginette Reno posted:

Nathan For You is so good. He's also a producer on a new show How To with John Wilson. I've only seen clips but it definitely seemed in line with Nathan's style of humor if you're into that.

Yep, great show, highly recommend (both, actually).

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

How To with John Wilson is fantastic and I was so disappointed when there only 6 episodes (this season).

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just found out someone on our team got sick this week and tested positive, which is great since we're one of the only teams that has to be in the building. Fortunately, our boss had already made him take the entire month of December off to burn his PTO, so it looks like he got infected during that instead of spreading it around here.

So glad I go in on Mondays and Fridays when literally no one else on my team wants to go in....

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

canyoneer posted:

As far as I know, the majority of them still at least turned their lights off at night, rather than leave them on in the name of personal freedom

There was plenty of whining and protesting going on back then as well. Funny how that (and suggestions we should be throwing in with the Nazis) has been erased from public memory of the "blitz spirit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

that has to be worth a loving lawsuit, the entire party literally conspired to hide that