Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It's a grower, not a shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

wooger posted:

Where fellowship is stored?
Fellowship being a specific object, rather than the act of being a fellow?

for some reason, the churches in this region call their gym with attached kitchen a "fellowship hall." that's clearly where they store the fellowship.

the other common term is "family life center," but I can't make an obtuse antijoke out of that

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I bring greetings from the BSS Newspaper Comics thread!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Empty Sandwich posted:

for some reason, the churches in this region call their gym with attached kitchen a "fellowship hall." that's clearly where they store the fellowship.

the other common term is "family life center," but I can't make an obtuse antijoke out of that

The fellow ship is a scale model of Noah's ark that every church has. They keep it on display in the fellowship hall.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Re: treechat

Bought my house in 1992 with three ash, one tulip poplar, one Johnny smoker (northern catalpa) anda sour apple. All at least 40-years old

Loved the tulip poplar (it shaded the patio) but it had a giant rotted-out section of the main trunk found during pruning. A crotch had formed a bole and it worked down seven feet. I’m growing another off of the ground-down stump via coppicing

Two of the ashes had to be cut; one was full of termites & carpenter ants. Down in 2013; also coppicing a new one from the trunk.

Cut down another in February (just missed the pandemic) after discovering that 2/3s of the trunk at the ground was rotted out after I hit the base with a lawnmower and a big chunk of bark revealed a huge void. It was a fungus, which this tree had been fighting for almost as long as we’d been there. Not replacing that one because it’s 7-feet away from the poplar (was perfect for a hammock).

Planted an American elm on ‘01. It’s now about 35-feet tall.

The catalpa was blown down in ‘95. gently caress that thing; the little bean pods were impossible to rake or vacuum and the giant leaves clogged my vacuum,

My neighbor had a mature black walnut. In addition to everything mentioned, it dropped large but seemingly inedible walnuts on my garage roof, which meant we were startled by loud bangs 24/7 all fall.

I love the ash trees. I’m shaping / pruning the poplar to try and give it a good, strong structural trunk.

Needed a Bobcat to dig out the fuckin apple. It had zero going for it besides CO2 conversion. I usually hate cutting down trees. Not that thing.

An old family friend built me a steel acoustic guitar out of the ash tree.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 16, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What was wrong with the apple, besides being sour?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My neighbor has a catalpa right next to the property line, which means my side yard/driveway gets covered with rock hard seed pods in spring and big yellow leaves in fall. Incredibly annoying.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Here is a catalpa sprouting from a downed log. As you can see, it has taken to to its new lot in life.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Buttchocks posted:

The fellow ship is a scale model of Noah's ark that every church has. They keep it on display in the fellowship hall.

I have never been inside a church (I develop unfortunate skin problems in proximity, weird), so I'm not sure if you're joking or not.

Treechat, I've never had a huge problem with trees in general. Leaves on the roof are just the price you pay for living in literal wilderness, although I did once pluck a six-inch sapling out of a small pocket of the roof on the old trailer. As a child I planted a pine of some sort that's not really rated for this climate, and it grew into this really neat twisted monstrosity. I was actually sad to lose that one in the fire. Felt worse about that tree than I did about the old trailer.

From personal experience, I'd recommend spruce of some sort, just be aware of your local tree-eating bug species and maybe don't get one that is like loving crack to bark beetles, rendering 90% of the specimens in the area dead, sap-filled corpses that burn like gasoline.

I'm a little torn, because I want to recommend sticking to local tree species and not importing invasive plants, but then that dude recommended giant bamboo and now I'm just thinking how cool that would look. I'm assuming you can't grow bamboo well in Alaska, but I'mma go look. e: Maybe in a decade or so once climate change mellows the winters a little more. :sigh:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 16, 2020

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

My previous place had several box elders and those were garbage weeds that thought they were trees. Constantly breaking, shoots appearing all over, and the drat bugs. The front yard also had a Norway Maple so there were giant barren patches underneath it. The only tree that was good was a cherry that unfortunately was planted under a power line ( :bang: ) so it was at a weird angle from the power company trimming.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Man, you guys talking about all these trees are giving me flashbacks to a few weeks ago when I yet again had to haul an ungodly amount of leaves away. We have around a dozen large trees around the house and while they are gorgeous to look at fall is a busy time. Especially the god drat beech leaves which take forever to decompose and you just have to remove if you want the lawn to survive. I think we hauled 60 big sacks of leaves away this time, and that's after keeping a bunch for our beds and compost.

My favorite's the small leaved linden, it attracts bumblebees like crazy. During late spring there's this constant deep humming sound in the yard from the hundreds of bumblebees flying around up there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Man, you guys talking about all these trees are giving me flashbacks to a few weeks ago when I yet again had to haul an ungodly amount of leaves away. We have around a dozen large trees around the house and while they are gorgeous to look at fall is a busy time.

A dozen. How quaint.

I'm about halfway done in this picture.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Treechat: At my parents old house we had several native pines, some poor stunted giant sequoias (they were planted way too close to the pool and the climate was too hot and arid for them), a small orchard with a variety of fruit trees, and the remains of a eucalyptus forest that used to dominate several parcels.

Every winter the eucalyptus' would drop tons of large branches and every summer id have to help my dad gather them up with all the other tree waste, cut it all up, and then stuff as much as possible into a trailer and take it to the green waste part of the dump. The only saving grace was that none of them were close enough to fall on the house, and that we lived in an area without forest fires (all ag land, no hills, no storms).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Wowwie and this was the first year I didn't even rake leaves. Mulched the first drop in with the last lawn mowing, and most of the rest blew into planters. Didn't even get seed pods from the locust tree this year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh yeah I really wanted to plant giant sequoias but I don't think they'd like it this far north.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

A dozen. How quaint.

I'm about halfway done in this picture.

Stuff of nightmares right there

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Stuff of nightmares right there

I'm never in need of compost, that's for sure.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I live in a suburb in SoCal that was all dairy farms 10 years ago and there's nary a single tree in sight.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

PainterofCrap posted:

dropped large but seemingly inedible walnuts
Black walnuts are hard to open and have a very strong but delicious flavor. Definitely worth trying.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Scarodactyl posted:

Black walnuts are hard to open and have a very strong but delicious flavor. Definitely worth trying.

the standard way to open them is by running them over, iirc

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

His Divine Shadow posted:

Oh yeah I really wanted to plant giant sequoias but I don't think they'd like it this far north.

Wya? I've read theyve gotten them to survive in urban environments as far north as New York. The cold isn't so much a problem as the summer humidity

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

titty_baby_ posted:

Wya? I've read theyve gotten them to survive in urban environments as far north as New York. The cold isn't so much a problem as the summer humidity

Finland is a little further north than New York is.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A nice vertical greenhouse will solve the problem

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

For thread content:

Images from work

The powers that be decided that the best way to use a mountain of leftover fill dirt was to make a slope above a creek much steeper and extend out a planned sportsball field. They hosed up and built it too far out over a trail.

The powers that be then decided the best way to rectify this was to cut the toe off the slope and try to re-cut the trail where it used to be, then build a retaining wall put of reclaimed wood to help support the cut slope. The retaining wall is held into the ground with sections of rebar hammerd thru the wood about 1-2ft into the earth, and 3 or 4 very half assed Deadmans anchors put in AFTER the dirt was moved out. No one thought to put them in prior, and once the dirt was in place they were worried removing enough for a proper anchor would collapse the slope. The wall was already leaning outwards before it was even finished, and the solution for that was to shore it up further with 4x4s sunk into concrete in front of the wall and bolted in place.

The bare dirt slope above the wall is "stabilized" with wattles and a smattering of native plants. Bark was suggested, but shot down, and then once the fence for the sports field was built that removed any easy access to drop off bark at the top of the slope. Theres tons of exposed dirt everywhere and erosion is already occurring, turning the re-cut trail into a creek.

The powers that be decided that instead of tying the sports fields drainage into the existing storm drain system that they would just have the pipe come out on a hillside above the trail. To their credit they built a little ditch with rocks to try to slow the water. The ditch is too short so the water just runs out and down the hillside, onto the re-cut trail before flooding the end of the trail and running into a creek. The trail has since been finished with several layers of weed cloth, several inches of gravel, and benderboards to try to hold the gravel in place. The way it was carved out led to a small curb along the downslope side, which channels water down it in some places and gathers it in others.

No one really planned this or did any sort of math or designing. There wasn't an ounce of forethought for this slope/dirt problem, and the sports field had been planned for years. Most seem to think the wall will collapse sometime this winter, and the collapse of the wall could lead to a small landslide that could then tear down the fencing on the edge of the sportsfield.

I use my work pc to look for other jobs and I dont even delete my history anymore

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 17, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
There are now some blight resistant versions of the American Chestnut tree available now as well. Probably not an ideal tree for small suburban plots but for people a bit more rural they can be great. They produce a gently caress ton of chestnuts and the wood is a really nice hardwood for carpentry.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't even know what the big-rear end trees on the front yard are, but then I rent so :shrug: (This is in the city so forest fires aren't a problem, and they seem to pretty regularly remove trees that are deemed to be dangerous, as the house is protected.)

Oh, you have stairs?
I'm sorry.

wesleywillis posted:

An excavator of the 'right size' to yank out a stump can be cost prohibitive depending upon the size of the stump.

Also, the filling of the aforementioned giant hole.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
RE Tree chat, I have a 4-story tall redwood tree right next to my house on my property (about 12 feet away).

Redwood trees shed needles at the same time in October every year, and also grow to become giant.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Finland is a little further north than New York is.

It's not the giant sequioa, but the Dawn Redwood will grow in zone 5, which I think includes some of Finland and Sweden? Although sadly it's much smaller and you might not get more than 150ft from it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

What was wrong with the apple, besides being sour?

It was this nasty old crabapple crone with ugly patchy leaves, sharp spines, and these mean little apples that were good only as sligshot ammo and yellowjacket conventions, which was always big fun when I would cut the grass through the deadfall.

Scarodactyl posted:

These fuckers all were split open and had three different species working on them before I got to 'em.

I once did carve one out of its husk, and the nut was bitter as gently caress.

The neighbor cut it down in '94 and replaced it with a pink-blossomed cherry tree, not sure what variety; that thing took off and is now about 13" wide at the trunk. Never seen a cherry grow so big so fast.

I planted two flowering yoshino cherries as birthday gifts for my wife...the youngest in 1997, in an old solids holding tank from the abandoned septic system. That one is about 7" around now. Like the ash & Japanese maple, they grow slowly...no idea what the pink one is. It's encroaching on the back of my garage; I have to get up on the roof next spring and trim it back a bit. Pretty, though.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 17, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ginko trees grow huge but they can be aggressively trimmed, both branches and lopping off the top of the trunk.
The nuts are delicious but I always buy nuts in the shell and have never hosed w removing the stinky toxic fruit part.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
You have to be careful with cherry trees. Apples can attract wasps, but if you have a cherry and mow at the wrong time there’ll be ronin everywhere (check your local laws - they can be a protected species!)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vindolanda posted:

You have to be careful with cherry trees. Apples can attract wasps, but if you have a cherry and mow at the wrong time there’ll be ronin everywhere (check your local laws - they can be a protected species!)

As in...masterless samurai??

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I planted a cherry tree and all I got were salarymen.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Blue Footed Booby posted:

As in...masterless samurai??

Hanzo steel vs John Deere

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I planted some decorative plastic cherries and now the backyard is infested with weeaboos.
Nothing keeps them away.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

By popular demand posted:

I planted some decorative plastic cherries and now the backyard is infested with weeaboos.
Nothing keeps them away.

The slanting sun on
plastic cherries: winter comes.
So do weeaboos.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Platystemon posted:

I planted a cherry tree and all I got were salarymen.

You need the right environment - hanzo steel is very prone to rusting in humid places, so try leaving a small pot of camellia oil out for the ronin.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Don’t plant a cherry anywhere near asphalt tho. Every spring I have to chase off JDM cars that pop up from the cracks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Nm.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.