Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You only need one of the options. All you’re doing is inserting an artificial delay for the audio. The frustrating thing is that humans are very good at noticing it is slightly off but not good enough to really precisely tell what’s wrong so getting it dialed in perfectly takes a while. When I was actively listening for it I kept overshooting and undershooting the delay and second-guessing myself; that’s why I recommend trying to find a scene with a sound effect accompanying a distinct visual like a book slamming on a table because it will be much easier to sync that than dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Welp, no Dawn of the Dead from Zavvi. If it doesn’t come in on Monday then I’m just asking for a refund. I probably won’t luck out getting it anywhere else and not pay out the nose for it. Such horse poo poo. Zavvi sucks hard.

Other news, my Tremors UHD came in and holy hell it’s a looker of a movie. Easily up there with 2001 and Jaws.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched The VInSyn Silent Madness this morning with the Anaglyph 3D, and I can see why that style of 3D never took off in the color era. Color itself becomes a visual LaCroux, like I can tell the grass is green somehow, some things are yellow, and purple is really the only color that stands out. I'd probably say that my biggest complaint is that the pictures bleed over outside of the middle depth of field, which is just distracting to me. Specular highlights tend to be the most obvious, making it look like you're seeing "behind" the screen, but that was always a complaint of mine with modern 3D techniques, most likely because it's difficult to polarize against bright white.

That said, I did watch the locations bonus feature, and in flat it looks like the standard spectacular Vinegar Syndrome quality restoration, I'll have to dust off my PSVR next time, so I can experience it in good 3D. I'm sure this is coming off as scathing, but I did have fun with the movie, it's one of those movies with that early 80's quaintness to it, that I can't quite put my finger on. The kills are not very gory, with the offscreen kill being disappointing, because I'm guessing they intended the head to fly at the screen, which didn't work out.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
My local shop had the new Forgotten Gialli vol 2 set from VS for $35, so I impulse bought it along with vol 1. Hopefully some of these are worthwhile!

I was actually supposed to be shopping for Christmas gifts but that’s all I ended up with. If only my family were into obscure Italian horror...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

david_a posted:

You only need one of the options. All you’re doing is inserting an artificial delay for the audio. The frustrating thing is that humans are very good at noticing it is slightly off but not good enough to really precisely tell what’s wrong so getting it dialed in perfectly takes a while. When I was actively listening for it I kept overshooting and undershooting the delay and second-guessing myself; that’s why I recommend trying to find a scene with a sound effect accompanying a distinct visual like a book slamming on a table because it will be much easier to sync that than dialogue.

If I ruled the world, every manufacturer would have a test beep with visual waveform in the latency menu.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I got my copy of Beastmaster.

Would it be fair to say that the tiger is performing in blackface?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I feel sorry for anyone who sleeps on Action U.S.A.

It's not a good movie, but it's a solid B movie that lives up to it's name (although it should have been called Action Waco, or Action Texas). This movie is wall to wall, car chases, gun fights, fist fights, and explosions.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just got the new Warner Archive special edition of Curse of Frankenstein in the mail and man it looks good. All three aspect ratio options are from the new 4K remaster, and its a def a step up from the Hammer remaster from a few years ago.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Just received my copy of Possessor and received a VS shipping notice with Fade to Black and Nightmare Sisters, due to be delivered on Friday.

Good week, still want my goddamn copy of Dawn of the Dead tho

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My vinsyn order has been at the same place in Colorado since the 9th. Trying to be patient but also, aahhh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

My vinsyn order has been at the same place in Colorado since the 9th. Trying to be patient but also, aahhh

Sorry I’m trying to watch them as quick as I can

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Sorry I’m trying to watch them as quick as I can

lol well as long as theyre in good hands

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

my Severin order got to Arizona on the 10th and is still there with no further updates. USPS is just overloaded right now. I'm only one state away from VS so hopefully that will arrive sooner

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

my Severin order got to Arizona on the 10th and is still there with no further updates. USPS is just overloaded right now. I'm only one state away from VS so hopefully that will arrive sooner

VS uses fedex now, but yeah I'm hoping it's just christmas overload

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

MacheteZombie posted:

VS uses fedex now, but yeah I'm hoping it's just christmas overload

This is what shows up when you track a package. Sucks that deliveries are taking a long time, but I’d rather the mail people stay safe than getting my package a few days sooner.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Still no shipping notice on my end. :v:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

This is what shows up when you track a package. Sucks that deliveries are taking a long time, but I’d rather the mail people stay safe than getting my package a few days sooner.

Yeah thats fair. I can only imagine it's an absolute nightmare working for the usps right now with the lovely cutbacks over the summer and the holiday rush exacerbated by a pandemic.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah thats fair. I can only imagine it's an absolute nightmare working for the usps right now with the lovely cutbacks over the summer and the holiday rush exacerbated by a pandemic.
Combined with the slow death of brick and mortar stores. Went to multiple places and no one had Blade Runner 2049 UHD.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I just picked up Tenet. I never saw it and am going in totally blind. I saw exactly no trailers beyond the teaser and a few headlines.

And also still waiting on any kind of email from VS.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If you ordered Beastmaster from VS, your package may have been delayed due to a manufacturing error on disc 3. If you already got yours, they’ll automatically mail you a replacement.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

fenix down posted:

Combined with the slow death of brick and mortar stores.

You wouldn't know it if you went to the Target in my area. I stopped in there a few days ago to grab a couple household items and the line went all the way to the back of the store and around the corner. I felt like I was at Disneyworld. So I noped the gently caress out of there.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

You wouldn't know it if you went to the Target in my area. I stopped in there a few days ago to grab a couple household items and the line went all the way to the back of the store and around the corner. I felt like I was at Disneyworld. So I noped the gently caress out of there.

Yea any general goods store is wild right now. My brother is a night manager at the town target and he says it's just a nonstop parade of people in and out of that shop all day and night. just wild.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I know when I'm vaccinated, I'm going THE HELL to my local record store that also sells Blu-rays to peruse for an hour.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

yoohoo posted:

I just picked up Tenet. I never saw it and am going in totally blind. I saw exactly no trailers beyond the teaser and a few headlines.

And also still waiting on any kind of email from VS.

After you've seen Tenet, how is the audio in these 2 scenes (spoilers):

1. The voice over the radios during the sailing scene
2. The dialogue between the protagonist and Sator over the radios in the red room/blue room. The combination of poor quality sound over the radio and the forward and reverse speech playing at the same time was hard to understand, especially at the beginning.

The second of those two scenes was the only one where I definitely missed some the of the dialogue when I saw it in theaters. Well, in a drive-in at least.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Saw Tenet in theaters and nobody could understand any dialogue.

Same feels true with this home release but at least there's subtitles. What the gently caress, Nolan

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Tim Whatley posted:

Saw Tenet in theaters and nobody could understand any dialogue.

Same feels true with this home release but at least there's subtitles. What the gently caress, Nolan

It's Nolan's patented Bane tech.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ChazTurbo posted:

It's Nolan's patented Bane tech.

Seriously though I don't remember it being an issue until TDK. It's as if he got so pissed off about people complaining that they couldn't understand Bane that he decided "gently caress you then, now you don't get to hear what any of the characters are saying!".

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Thread favourite Tammy and the T-Rex is getting a UK bluray release:

https://twitter.com/101_Films/status/1339208572895457281?s=20

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I forgot they changed the BBFC labels to make them even worse. Searching their site for the film shows no submission for classification ever, so it never even got a theatrical run. I presume the 15 is just the assumed rating and they’re waiting for it to go through at the moment.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

pairofdimes posted:

After you've seen Tenet, how is the audio in these 2 scenes (spoilers):

1. The voice over the radios during the sailing scene
2. The dialogue between the protagonist and Sator over the radios in the red room/blue room. The combination of poor quality sound over the radio and the forward and reverse speech playing at the same time was hard to understand, especially at the beginning.

The second of those two scenes was the only one where I definitely missed some the of the dialogue when I saw it in theaters. Well, in a drive-in at least.

No spoilers.

1. Extremely garbled. I caught the drift of what was being discussed but no details. Subtitles might get turned on for this scene next time.
2. Similar but not as bad. It took a minute to realize what was going on but once I figured it out I could pick out what I needed to hear.

I had a tough time in general with the arms dealer lady.

I think part of it is Nolan is throwing all this crazy Nolan poo poo at you that you're trying to comprehend AND the dialogue is poorly mixed. Like if it had been one or the other I don't think it would've been as much of a problem.

I've got some good tower speakers that I turned up LOUD and holy poo poo talk abut a visceral experience.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Also re: The Beastmaster, why couldn't the cat just have been a tiger?

Did it have to be a panther?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Seriously though I don't remember it being an issue until TDK. It's as if he got so pissed off about people complaining that they couldn't understand Bane that he decided "gently caress you then, now you don't get to hear what any of the characters are saying!".

I don't know if it's him or Mann where the going theory is that his ears are going and that affects the mixing decisions, but I'd believe it for Nolan.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/petexnasty/status/1339268043977928705?s=20

RIP to my Dawn of the Dead UHD.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

yoohoo posted:

No spoilers.

1. Extremely garbled. I caught the drift of what was being discussed but no details. Subtitles might get turned on for this scene next time.
2. Similar but not as bad. It took a minute to realize what was going on but once I figured it out I could pick out what I needed to hear.

I had a tough time in general with the arms dealer lady.

I think part of it is Nolan is throwing all this crazy Nolan poo poo at you that you're trying to comprehend AND the dialogue is poorly mixed. Like if it had been one or the other I don't think it would've been as much of a problem.

I've got some good tower speakers that I turned up LOUD and holy poo poo talk abut a visceral experience.

Thanks for checking it out, I kind of expected those scenes would not be changed since it sounds like this is what Nolan wanted.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You'd think a service whose sole task is to deliver mail would be able to handle, you know, delivering mail.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Spatulater bro! posted:

You'd think a service whose sole task is to deliver mail would be able to handle, you know, delivering mail.

well tbf, Covid aint helping and getting your budget slashed doesnt help either.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spatulater bro! posted:

It’s a pandemic and the holidays so the volume of mail is up, and in the ramp up to the election Trump and the Postmaster General were cutting hours and removing mail sorting machines, effectively kneecapping the post office.

E— beaten

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's almost as if government agencies aren't very good at handling complex operations. Shocker.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's almost as if government agencies aren't very good at handling complex operations. Shocker.

gently caress off with that libertarian bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Detective No. 27 posted:

gently caress off with that libertarian bullshit.

Jeeze. Did I hit a nerve?