Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Vimes should tell the dragon to investigate the patrician?

The patrician should not tell Vimes to not investigate the dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The_Doctor posted:

finally, hillary clinton as patrician. the ending raising steam shouod have had. :viggo:

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

Now THAT'S a show I could get behind

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The_Doctor posted:

The dragon should be investigating Vimes for the patrician.

(It's a metaphor about how the police force is the real monster and can do more damage than any single criminal or terrorist act).

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

You have the effrontery to be squeamish, it thought at him. But we were dragons. We were supposed to be cruel, cunning, heartless, and terrible. But this much I can tell you, you ape – the great face pressed even closer, so that Vimes was staring into the pitiless depths of his eyes - we never kettled and gassed and choked one another to death and called it authority.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Vimes is a no good drunk, but he's a policeman damnit, and even the people of the shades deserve justice. He's gonna investigate this dragon no matter what veternari says.

Oh what's that? He has the full support of the city? Oh okay, that makes it easier

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I sorta like the mishmash of eras in the production design, because I like the idea that the Discworld isn't really a medieval-fantasy setting.

The rest of it ehhhhhhh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

massive spider posted:

I sorta like the mishmash of eras in the production design, because I like the idea that the Discworld isn't really a medieval-fantasy setting.

Discworld was always, even in its steampunk books, a fantasy world bending its shape to a scientific world under the pressure of narrative causality. It can be anything it wants as long as it's fantasy first.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Either the trailer has gone with Vimes' ZANIEST scenes, or the team making the show have really missed the point of Vimes' character.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Old Gurnface

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"Okay so multiple people every book describe your character as a dumb plodding copper."
"Prancing it is, then!"

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Reviews are starting to get posted.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
The AV Club isn't jazzed either.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

when is it out and who's in for a hatewatch thread?

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

I'm just pissed they wasted the opportunity for Jet Boy, Jet Girl and used the French song that I can never remember the title for instead.

I mean. Not JUST pissed about that. But that's what I'm going to focus on.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

quote:

dragon-wielding terrorist Lady Sybil Ramkin
Oh my loving god.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

From the polygon review, it sounds like they kill off Detritus.. So on top of everything else, there’s that.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

T-man posted:

when is it out and who's in for a hatewatch thread?

Down

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

From the polygon review, it sounds like they kill off Detritus.. So on top of everything else, there’s that.

Wait, what? That can't be right.

quote:

An early episode features a major death in an opening scene, immediately followed by characters deciding to use that death as motivation to solve a crime, even though they were already investigating that crime. Then they never mention the death again. (It honestly feels like the character was removed for budget reasons, not story purposes.)

I'm trying to think who else is killed in the Watch books and coming up pretty blank.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I'm trying to think who else is killed in the Watch books and coming up pretty blank.

Cuddy. Maybe they kill Detritus instead? But that's in Men At Arms.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Phenotype posted:

Cuddy. He was murdered and Detrius went on a rampage trying to catch the killer

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

closing my eyes, steepling my fingers, taking deep breath thru my nose

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

good, good... let the hatred flow through you...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watch it be Colon or Nobby, so they don’t have to deal with them again.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Watch it be Colon or Nobby, so they don’t have to deal with them again.

It'll be both because they'll have decided to roll them into one character called Nolon.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Phenotype posted:

I could be wrong, but of the announced characters, the only two I could think of that might be killed off for budgetary reasons are Detritus for the CGI costs and The Librarian (not sure if he's CGI or a costume).

So pick your poison there.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 19, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

The Watch is a fantasy police procedural television programme under development by BBC Studios for BBC America

lmao of course it's BBC AMERICA

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

they're turning vimes into a cowboy my uncle at BBC told me

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So he's going to be a cowboy and a pirate and a cop?! :holy:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Cowboys are stoic and stonefaced, what vimes is supposed to be

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Cowboys are stoic and stonefaced, what vimes is supposed to be

No, cowboys hoot and holler all the time. Gunslingers are stoic and stone-faced, except for the slow ones.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Gunslingers are stoic and stone-faced, except for the slow ones.

the slow ones show the least emotion of all

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No, cowboys hoot and holler all the time. Gunslingers are stoic and stone-faced, except for the slow ones.

Buster Scruggs, the “San Saba Songbird", would like a word with you.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

Buster Scruggs, the “San Saba Songbird", would like a word with you.

The guy who killed him was pretty stoic

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fan film Troll Bridge is live streaming for free today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IaOiygpHc8

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Nice I hadn't realised it was finally finished

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The_Doctor posted:

That was lovely, thanks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Narsham posted:

Looks like a show produced and scripted by people who deep down, in their heart of hearts, don't believe that Terry Pratchett's setting or humor would work on TV in 2021. Which makes one wonder why they licensed the setting to begin with, if not to trick people who like Discworld into watching.

Well, Good Omens was a hit so clearly an in-name-only adaption of his most popular works will sell, right?

Right?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well the first episode leaked and I am finding it difficult to describe how bad this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it bad discworld or bad tv?