Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

life is killing me posted:

I could try? Not sure how badly I wanna mess with it

This is a good place to start if I can get it pulled out in the first place. I see no obvious way to unclog from inside the dishwasher anyway.

Okay, let's back up on that then. There is a drain hose going to somewhere. It's likely attached to a thing near the drain plumbing under the sink it's next to. Can you take a picture of that stuff under that cabinet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I accidentally melted some plastic onto one of the burners of my electric stove (not a glass top, an older one with exposed burners). Some googling tells me that it’s likely made of nichrome, but I haven’t been able to find an answer for these questions:

Can I use a wire wheel to get the melted plastic off without damaging the heating element? If so, would I need to use a brass one instead of the carbon steel I’ve got lying around?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I’d just just try to do a controlled burn with the range hood on. Those elements can stop working if they get cracked.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They're usually a nichrome wire encased in ceramic in an alloy steel protective sheath (why you don't get shocked when touching them, only, uh, badly burned).

A wire wheel should be fine, but I'd try to scrape it with a razor blade.

Diagram!

E: they're also cheap and easy to replace.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

When I did that I just replaced the coil entirely. IIRC replacement coils were $20-30 each at Lowes.

I thought about it and figured that there was no way of cleaning it that wouldn't result in me breathing melted plastic fumes the next time I used it, and I'd rather pay the idiot tax than do that, especially because that house didn't have a real range vent, just a fan with a lovely filter.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Dishwasher guy: the check valve for the drain pump on those GEs is molded into the inaccessible end of the drain hose.

Start a cycle, then hold the reset button to force a drain. Watch the water in the hose under your cabinet. If it mostly just rocks back and forth in the hose, the check valve is clogged. A lemon seed did mine in.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Dishwasher guy: the check valve for the drain pump on those GEs is molded into the inaccessible end of the drain hose.

Start a cycle, then hold the reset button to force a drain. Watch the water in the hose under your cabinet. If it mostly just rocks back and forth in the hose, the check valve is clogged. A lemon seed did mine in.

Motronic posted:

Okay, let's back up on that then. There is a drain hose going to somewhere. It's likely attached to a thing near the drain plumbing under the sink it's next to. Can you take a picture of that stuff under that cabinet?

Looks like it’s screwed into the cabinetry, but two screws keep the bottom cover on so it should be easy enough to remove and see in there wish a flashlight if needed

Edit: nope, insulation everywhere

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 19, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks like it’s screwed into the cabinetry, but two screws keep the bottom cover on so it should be easy enough to remove and see in there wish a flashlight if needed

Edit: nope, insulation everywhere

I'm not talking about removing the dishwasher from the cabinet right now. I'm talking about where it drains to.

Is it installed in a cabinet next to a kitchen sink? It probably is, and if so open up that under-sink cabinet and take a picture of the drain plumbing under there. We can point you to which part of it is the dishwasher drain and maybe how to diagnose further from that.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Khizan posted:

When I did that I just replaced the coil entirely. IIRC replacement coils were $20-30 each at Lowes.

I thought about it and figured that there was no way of cleaning it that wouldn't result in me breathing melted plastic fumes the next time I used it, and I'd rather pay the idiot tax than do that, especially because that house didn't have a real range vent, just a fan with a lovely filter.

otoh I did that like five times as a dumbshit college student renting and each time I got all the plastic off with steel wool and didn't damage the coils beyond use.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

I'm not talking about removing the dishwasher from the cabinet right now. I'm talking about where it drains to.

Is it installed in a cabinet next to a kitchen sink? It probably is, and if so open up that under-sink cabinet and take a picture of the drain plumbing under there. We can point you to which part of it is the dishwasher drain and maybe how to diagnose further from that.

I did pull it out so I could see what’s what. It does go to the garbage disposal.

E: https://imgur.com/a/A2HfCQ4

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 19, 2020

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

I did pull it out so I could see what’s what. It does go to the garbage disposal.

E: https://imgur.com/a/A2HfCQ4

Watch that hose after forcing a drain cycle. My guess is still the check valve. Valve gets clogged, drain pump doesn’t work.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Watch that hose after forcing a drain cycle. My guess is still the check valve. Valve gets clogged, drain pump doesn’t work.

I can hear the pump working, or trying to. I saw some liquid go through but then it stopped. Opened dishwasher when drain cycle ended and it’s still pooled at bottom. At this point I’m thinking drain? Not sure what to look for with check valve

E: perhaps you’re right—it could be clogged, although getting to where it’d be at the drain might be a challenge

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 19, 2020

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Check valve keeps water from flowing back through the pump when it stops spinning. If you see water going the wrong direction when the pump stops, that’s your problem.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I can hear the pump working, or trying to. I saw some liquid go through but then it stopped. Opened dishwasher when drain cycle ended and it’s still pooled at bottom. At this point I’m thinking drain? Not sure what to look for with check valve

For the check valve you'll have to get a bit more indepth. I changed the drain pump on my dishwasher this summer, it was underneath the dishwasher, so it required completely removing the dishwasher from the cabinet and then tipping it backwards to expose the pump.

If you go to repairclinic.com, and type in your dishwasher make and model, you can probably look for the drain pump on there and there might be a video on how to remove and replace it. There was one for replacing the main pump on mine, which I did two summers ago, I was able to do it, and by doing that, I was able to figure out how to do the same with the drain pump even though there wasn't a video for that one specifically.

Even if its just the valve itself and not the actual pump, if there is a video of some sort for your particular model, it will probably give you a god idea of what to look for and how to remove it from under your counter. Also, you can order replacement parts from there.

In my particular case, the "check valve" was just a little rubber flap. Yours may or may not be the same, but like one goon mentioned, it could be something as simple as a piece of corn kernel stuck in there.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Check valve keeps water from flowing back through the pump when it stops spinning. If you see water going the wrong direction when the pump stops, that’s your problem.

wesleywillis posted:

For the check valve you'll have to get a bit more indepth. I changed the drain pump on my dishwasher this summer, it was underneath the dishwasher, so it required completely removing the dishwasher from the cabinet and then tipping it backwards to expose the pump.

If you go to repairclinic.com, and type in your dishwasher make and model, you can probably look for the drain pump on there and there might be a video on how to remove and replace it. There was one for replacing the main pump on mine, which I did two summers ago, I was able to do it, and by doing that, I was able to figure out how to do the same with the drain pump even though there wasn't a video for that one specifically.

Even if its just the valve itself and not the actual pump, if there is a video of some sort for your particular model, it will probably give you a god idea of what to look for and how to remove it from under your counter. Also, you can order replacement parts from there.

In my particular case, the "check valve" was just a little rubber flap. Yours may or may not be the same, but like one goon mentioned, it could be something as simple as a piece of corn kernel stuck in there.

If I can keep the dishwasher closed and tip it, I may be able to get to the valve. If it’s the drain pump we are looking at a costly repair from Sears and at least a week of manual dishwashing we can’t keep up with even with a working dishwasher at worst, at best a few days of shipping a new valve or at bestest maybe I just unclog it. It seems like a certain amount of water just sits in the bottom and that’s the same as the last time when I discovered this problem. The pump is obviously at least trying to work and there’s no grindy noises, it’s pushing something through just can’t seem to get it all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's the check valve, almost definitely. The reason why is based on your pictures: the drain hose is improperly installed.

This will continue to happen unless it's fixed. Don't worry about that part for now, see if you can disconnect the drain hose and clean it out, and do the things you're being told about the check valve.

But once that's done and its working again you need the top of that drain hose to be well above where it's attached. It's called a "high loop". If you don't have this the crap in your garbage disposal is draining back into the dishwasher hose and you end up exactly where you're at now.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/QgqCIoM

So here’s the hose

Also yeah I think y’all are right. Nothing coming through hose at all

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://imgur.com/a/QgqCIoM

So here’s the hose

Also yeah I think y’all are right. Nothing coming through hose at all

Ohhhhh...nice. That's a high loop bracket. SO I was wrong abpout improperly installed if the top of it is high enough. Sorry about that, it didn't look like it based on your other pic.

The problem with my being wrong is that from what I'm reading your particular dishwasher kinda sucks and I can't give you a good explanation as to how to make it not suck now.

FYI, I think you were talking about "got to loving rinse off dishes before putting them in there" and this is a foreign concept to us Bosch havers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The other day my wife put an empty glass jar of peanut butter, label and all, into the dishwasher. Came out spotless. And half the label is gone. :|

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Ohhhhh...nice. That's a high loop bracket. SO I was wrong abpout improperly installed if the top of it is high enough. Sorry about that, it didn't look like it based on your other pic.

The problem with my being wrong is that from what I'm reading your particular dishwasher kinda sucks and I can't give you a good explanation as to how to make it not suck now.

FYI, I think you were talking about "got to loving rinse off dishes before putting them in there" and this is a foreign concept to us Bosch havers.

Yeah ours, even with Jet Dry—white hard water film on lots of things, some things still have food on them. And even with Jet Dry, again—the drying cycle barely does its job. If I didn’t have a toddler running around redirecting my attention every few minutes I’d keep better track of when the drying cycle ends so I can crack open the door and let steam vent

At any rate...dishwasher pushed back into cabinet for now. I kinda give up. Even tried baking soda and vinegar with really hot water to flush it after a few minutes and no change.

Must be the check valve after all

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 20, 2020

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have the same lovely dishwasher though. Take the dishwasher-end of that white hose off and use your hands to cup it into a shopvac.

I had to do this to suck out a lemon seed just last month.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I live in Texas and at this time of the year the weather is too nice to merit heating or cooling, but I'd like to still circulate my air. Is it alright to run just the AC fan for long periods of time? I turn it on every once in a while for 20 minutes or so just to move some air through our filter (and for some ambient noise when our toddler is trying to get to sleep) and I have a minor worry that I might forget and leave it on all night.

A little bit of googling suggests that it could get expensive if I left it on for an entire month, and it could clog up the filter faster, but is there any other worry aside from that? I'd hate to overheat the blower or wear it out.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I have the same lovely dishwasher though. Take the dishwasher-end of that white hose off and use your hands to cup it into a shopvac.

I had to do this to suck out a lemon seed just last month.

I may try this tomorrow. I’m done today. The wife has been making Christmas sweets all day with the MIL, my son had a 2hr tantrum that snowballed into a short nap, I did dishes manually for 45 minutes, started a fire in the fireplace, made a huge mess on the kitchen floor, and cleaned the kitchen.

gently caress everything else for tonight, mainly that dishwasher. I’m gonna go into a quiet room and do something that requires no physical activity or input from me, like sit on the couch and watch The Expanse. My wife and kid ran me ragged today

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I have a marine battery and a 1500W inverter. I use it to plug in an electric chainsaw around our property from a cart/garden trailer where there is no nearby outlet, which is most of it. Plus electric chainsaws own.

Anyway, it works great for while, I've noticed when the battery is about 60% charge left, the saw starts stopping and tripping the inverter. It powers off when there is a power spike, or also perhaps not enough power?

It doesn't do this when fully charged, otherwise I'd suspect the saw is pulling > 1500 W. However, its connected through a standard 25ft outdoor extension cord, and the saw itself is rated at 8A, I'm not what the peak might be.

Do these batteries stop providing as much current as they lose charge? I would assume so but not that much at 60% charge.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How are you determining 60% charge? What's the battery voltage when it trips off?

Also how is the inverter connected to the battery? If it's via alligator clips, swap those for ring terminals on the conductor and marine battery terminals (if not so equipped already).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
We were gone overnight and came back to a room temp fridge/freezer. It sounds like it’s trying to do something but just hums and cycles off.

It’s 15 years old. Should I just replace it? The control board burned up 2 years ago, so it’s at 2 strikes for ruining food.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sounds like a replacement would probably be best. We had our 15-yearer die the week before Thanksgiving and apparently they're only expected to last 15-20 years anyway.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Sevenish years ago we had a newish bosch in an old house and it was truly awful—we had to almost handwash the dishes before putting them in there because the drain impeller would just collect all the debris and need frequently manually mucked out, otherwise it stunk to high hell.

Coulda been something wrong with the unit or it not draining correctly in the hose or something, but the GE I put in a few years ago at this place chooches like a dream.

The energy standards changes for dishwashers that made everything awful until enzyme based detergents became the norm was circa mid 2000s, right? Don’t think my issues were related to that but plausibly could have been I guess

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

More but different dishwasher talk:

I'll be installing a dishwasher next week as part of a kitchen reno. There isn't one currently. It's the newer style that doesn't drain the debris-water into the garbage disposal for grindage but an air gap is recommended.

Here is a pic of the garbage disposal which will survive the renovation.
https://imgur.com/a/FWIdYxr
I'm assuming the top port is for old style dishwashers to feed their water into but can it be used as the air gap or do I need to have one of those metal cylinder things on the sink?

No, I haven't read the instructions yet.

Thanks for informations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

regulargonzalez posted:

More but different dishwasher talk:

I'll be installing a dishwasher next week as part of a kitchen reno. There isn't one currently. It's the newer style that doesn't drain the debris-water into the garbage disposal for grindage but an air gap is recommended.

Here is a pic of the garbage disposal which will survive the renovation.
https://imgur.com/a/FWIdYxr
I'm assuming the top port is for old style dishwashers to feed their water into but can it be used as the air gap or do I need to have one of those metal cylinder things on the sink?

No, I haven't read the instructions yet.

Thanks for informations.

Think about it, if you use the disposal connection as an air gap, water will come out of there when you send water down thee drain.

You need an actual air gap.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Corla Plankun posted:

I live in Texas and at this time of the year the weather is too nice to merit heating or cooling, but I'd like to still circulate my air. Is it alright to run just the AC fan for long periods of time? I turn it on every once in a while for 20 minutes or so just to move some air through our filter (and for some ambient noise when our toddler is trying to get to sleep) and I have a minor worry that I might forget and leave it on all night.

A little bit of googling suggests that it could get expensive if I left it on for an entire month, and it could clog up the filter faster, but is there any other worry aside from that? I'd hate to overheat the blower or wear it out.

I have an ecobee but I've seen other thermostats have a "fan" mode. I don't think running it full time is a good idea, but leaving it running for a few hours a day is fine.

Having clean and proper filters are more important because the harder it gets to pull air, the more torque is being applied to the motor, and that could make the motor get warm, fast; this is exacerbated by air filter marketing.

"more HEPA" ≠ "more better" for your system; a bit of dust in the ducts isn't as bad an issue as a burnt out motor.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Elviscat posted:

Think about it, if you use the disposal connection as an air gap, water will come out of there when you send water down thee drain.

You need an actual air gap.

My thought was that the port is probably for water from the dishwasher and that there's likely a 1-way valve in there since you wouldn't want sink water going into the dishwasher either. Or, that it's high up enough on the disposal body that backflow isn't a concern.

But if I need the actual air gap unit then so be it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Many places require it for code, as well.

It's a good practice, since there are other ways backflow into the drain line can mess it up.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

angryrobots posted:

How are you determining 60% charge? What's the battery voltage when it trips off?

Also how is the inverter connected to the battery? If it's via alligator clips, swap those for ring terminals on the conductor and marine battery terminals (if not so equipped already).

The charger I have for it will show a percent when charging. Though I can't say if it's accurate. It's attached via ring terminals but loose without proper terminal nuts.

Maybe bad surface area?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sylink posted:

The charger I have for it will show a percent when charging. Though I can't say if it's accurate. It's attached via ring terminals but loose without proper terminal nuts.

Maybe bad surface area?

Definitely get those terminals on there tight, you're running a pretty large load. I suspect this may get you some more runtime, but whether the charger % is accurate is unknown.

If it is accurate, you're taking it close to the point where you need to stop anyway. Generally you don't want to take even a deep cycle battery below 50% (~12.2V). Some may advertise the ability to go to 20% but I think general wisdom is that's not good for the battery's lifespan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I have an ecobee but I've seen other thermostats have a "fan" mode. I don't think running it full time is a good idea, but leaving it running for a few hours a day is fine.

My Honeywell Lyric thermostat has this "circulate" mode which is perfect for this. If the system hasn't called for heat or cooling for too long, it runs the fan for a bit.

Makes a big difference because yeah, when there's not a lot of heat pumping needed, the air can get a bit stale even with ceiling fans in most of the house.

The rest of the thermostat is poo poo, as well as the app. So see if something else has that feature.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

I accidentally left my fan on for a week or so and could see where I turned it on and off on my electric bill (smart meter, it was apparent in the daily usage.) If your filter clogs faster that's a feature - your lungs aren't filtering that material. So long as you keep your filter clean it shouldn't burn it up but you are consuming useful life faster than whatever estimated duty cycle estimates useful life. Think of it like turning a 20 year blower into a 10-15 year one if you ran it literally continuously. Set a timer on your phone or slap a neon pink post-it on your thermostat. (Or buy a fancy one listed above which has circulate timers, smart for modern sealed up houses.)

For your kid I highly suggest a mechanical white noise machine. They're like $40 but work way better than anything with a speaker or your central air (or you need to have it looked at...) for a fraction of the run and replacement cost. We have 3 of them, one for each bedroom, and we even travel with it now when going to hotel rooms. I take it on solo trips and we take it for the kids on group trips.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

My thought was that the port is probably for water from the dishwasher and that there's likely a 1-way valve in there since you wouldn't want sink water going into the dishwasher either. Or, that it's high up enough on the disposal body that backflow isn't a concern.

But if I need the actual air gap unit then so be it.

No there isn't a one way valve. This is why you need a high loop in a dishwasher drain hose that attaches to it.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Sevenish years ago we had a newish bosch in an old house and it was truly awful—we had to almost handwash the dishes before putting them in there because the drain impeller would just collect all the debris and need frequently manually mucked out, otherwise it stunk to high hell.

Coulda been something wrong with the unit or it not draining correctly in the hose or something, but the GE I put in a few years ago at this place chooches like a dream.

The energy standards changes for dishwashers that made everything awful until enzyme based detergents became the norm was circa mid 2000s, right? Don’t think my issues were related to that but plausibly could have been I guess

I do remember euro-style dishwashers sucking 15 years ago. So in someplace you were in 7 years ago that could absolutely be the case. I dunno how long the Bosch 800 series has been out, but as you know that's the current thread recommendation and it works really really well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I do remember euro-style dishwashers sucking 15 years ago. So in someplace you were in 7 years ago that could absolutely be the case. I dunno how long the Bosch 800 series has been out, but as you know that's the current thread recommendation and it works really really well.

My in-laws have an older one (on the order of 7-10 years as it was installed with their reno which completed years before we bought this house 5 years ago.) and it suuuuucks if you do it on anything other than auto. On auto it works fine. It's not an 800 series but more in line with ours which is like 500/600ish, the grade between 300 (do not buy) and fancy (800) or luxury (whatever bougie crap Motronic got suckered into at the dealer. :v: ) Definitely have to keep good soap and jet dry in it, and it does need a bit more scraping of plates. We're on the same water supply and neither of us have a pretreatment on that. Ours holds twice the stuff and is unstoppable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

(whatever bougie crap Motronic got suckered into at the dealer. :v: )

But but.....it projects a countdown timer on the floor! A countdown timer!

(Benchmark series)