Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I yelled at her and said something terrible :smith:

Thankfully she is very forgiving. But I just have a lot of anger/frustration, both from all the pandemic poo poo and also noticing the various small struggles she has. Nothing to the point where I would say she isn't happy or anything - she is still the same excited Abby when she greets me or other people, or she gets treats, or whatever. Each day I'm confronted with these small changes. I can't expect to her eat at regular times anymore, and have to come up with ways to get her to do it (tonight I melted a bit of peanut butter and mixed it in, otherwise I will typically add a piece of a banana that I'm having, or something else). She is more "fidgety" and gets tired more quickly. When I go to bed, I listen to her do the panting she never really did before. I'm very anxious that she is going to have some severe decline at some point. This dog is the best decision I've ever made, and every day I'm confronted with signs that it's not going to last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

actionjackson posted:

I yelled at her and said something terrible :smith:

Thankfully she is very forgiving. But I just have a lot of anger/frustration, both from all the pandemic poo poo and also noticing the various small struggles she has. Nothing to the point where I would say she isn't happy or anything - she is still the same excited Abby when she greets me or other people, or she gets treats, or whatever. Each day I'm confronted with these small changes. I can't expect to her eat at regular times anymore, and have to come up with ways to get her to do it (tonight I melted a bit of peanut butter and mixed it in, otherwise I will typically add a piece of a banana that I'm having, or something else). She is more "fidgety" and gets tired more quickly. When I go to bed, I listen to her do the panting she never really did before. I'm very anxious that she is going to have some severe decline at some point. This dog is the best decision I've ever made, and every day I'm confronted with signs that it's not going to last forever.

This sounds like similar anxiety that people get about noticing their aging parents having cognitive decline. Obviously it's different, but i think the well of emotions it's emerging from is similar. A lot of grieving for the being you knew before and how more bad things are imminent.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

It sounds really tough. Number 1 snake fan has made a really good observation, it’s an emotional situation overall and I’m sure it’s low key stressful all the time to be waiting for something bad to happen.

I guess just remind yourself she is her normal self, and she just lives every moment as it comes. She knows you love her more than anything and she loves you too. Sometimes accidents happen. For her and for you.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks guys, I appreciate the support. do you have any suggestions on something I can easily mix in with her food each day to encourage her to eat? pb or a banana doesn't exactly mix well

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

actionjackson posted:

thanks guys, I appreciate the support. do you have any suggestions on something I can easily mix in with her food each day to encourage her to eat? pb or a banana doesn't exactly mix well

I made beef bone broth for Lemon and Tera and it got them to want to eat. It's healthy and tasty and honestly not too expensive to do yourself. It just takes time. Oxtail is way too expensive, but if you can find knuckles or necks those work the best/are super cheap.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Chicken (thighs are cheap)
Plain fish (not tuna)
Brown rice cooked in beef or chicken stock
Purée pumpkin
Cheese shreds
GI/sensitive wet food
If she will eat fruits or vegetables, you can try chopping those small and/or steaming them

You could also try hand feeding her, making it a hangout/bonding activity

If she doesn’t have a sensitive tummy, buy some raw chicken wings and see if she will chomp down a couple! Raw bones are safe but still supervise.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, she pretty much eats anything, though I don't give her any grains or dairy as that causes some issues

edit: mixing the food with a bit of warm water really helped, god drat this is gross haha

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 8, 2020

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Our greyhound had been coming up to my wife and whining all day. She couldn't figure out what was wrong. Turns out our 6 pound cat crawled into his sleepingbag cushion and he wanted to use it.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
With Gannon I'll scramble an egg sometimes. He also likes these freeze dried beef livers treats and I'll cut them into a powder with scissors and sprinkle his kibble with that when I'm feeling low effort and don't have dog safe leftovers to toss in.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering...do any of you have any tricks with regards to getting your greys to actually finish walks? Since Opal is very particular about where she will/won't walk (there's one road in particular that she will not walk along...aside for sometimes, when she's prepared to walk home along the road. Just never walking away from home along it :v: ) and when she feels she's had enough, she'll plant her paws and will refuse to go anywhere but home.
Except the thing is, although as I said she'll be prepared to walk home (often a weird, suboptimal route home too, since she's not as familiar with the area compared to Taz) just today while my partner was out walking the dogs, she refused to go anywhere! I suspect it may've been because she wasn't sure which route is the way home - but either way, it wasn't helpful! haha - so yeah, I ended up having to drive over and collect the three of them, then drive back home. (Luckily I'm WFH at the moment)

Very odd, compared to Taz's willingness to walk for hours on end. I've tried encouraging her with praise and treats, but she just doesn't care! I don't mind going on shorter walks with her, but when she doesn't want to go anywhere, it's not particularly helpful...

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

If treats don't work, try picking her up and carrying for a couple of steps. The sheer indignity of it is often enough to get them moving. Do you walk Taz and Opal together? Maybe if Opal saw that Taz is okay with a road, she'll get over her hangups.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

If treats don't work, try picking her up and carrying for a couple of steps. The sheer indignity of it is often enough to get them moving. Do you walk Taz and Opal together? Maybe if Opal saw that Taz is okay with a road, she'll get over her hangups.

Yeah, she walks with Taz most of the time. If she doesn't, she seems to be even less inclined to walk. I've been considering carrying her though - since if it was me walking her today and not my partner, then I would've. So I guess that's one bullet dodged by Opal! :D

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Our girl has been vomiting up a little bit when she eats the last couple of days. It happens while she’s eating and she usually just eats it straight back up. She was also eating a little grass the day she first did it which I think they do as they have an upset stomach?

I suspect we may have introduced coconut and avocado oil to her diet a little quick? We did it over a week but maybe should have been longer? She is currently having about a tablespoon with her biscuits and dog roll.

Otherwise is this something we should check with our vet? Apart from the vomiting she’s all good from what I can tell.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah that sounds pretty normal, I'd check with the vet if it keeps happening for several more days though

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Lemon is almost regular dog size now! She’s 40 pounds and still got time to grow. I miss her puppy days but I don’t miss her being a puppy. My floors don’t miss it either.

Also we got word lemons mom is pregnant. I’ll ask our breeder to sneak in some newborn pictures, I think she’s due in the soonish future.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby does actually bark, but you have to get her SUPER excited, case in point

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1339800183039807489

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Did Abby get turkey? :colbert:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yes obv

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Funny y'all are talking about barking.

Update on Starbuck
The week after I last posted, she started calming down a bit and was really good. She mastered "lie down" and can do it on command regularly (though she will only do it on her beds or the living room carpet lol). She's also getting okay at "touch" and not very far along on "stay." She's also ran around a bit in the backyard without other dogs around, which is a good sign. However, this week has brought about some more weird poo poo as she settles in.

Playtime
We found the types of toys she likes: squeaky animal toys that are soft and furry. Unfortunately, we also bought a bunch of other toys that she doesn't seem to care about at all, like this thing and this thing and some rope and a nylon bone. Basically she likes to chew and toss about her squeaky animal friends (and a shawl and some socks) but doesn't understand the concept of biting or chewing a ball or a rope, even if they squeak or have food in them (seriously, she spent like 30 minutes trying to futilely lick out some kibble from a food puzzle rather than manipulate it with her mouth). She also doesn't really "get" playing with us. Like she'll be playing with a toy and when I try to play tug with her, she'll tug for a while and then get like discouraged and drop the toy and go wander somewhere else or lie down. Even when I try to give the toy back to her, she'll just ignore it. It's kind of sad because it feels like I'm bullying her on accident.

She loud now
Early on, Starbuck would whine occasionally at dogs passing on the street outside or to get us out of bed in the morning, but starting this week she has been barking loud as hell at seemingly nothing. Like we'll be in the dining room together and she'll face away from us and just start popping off. At first we thought she was seeing things outside when we're in our home offices working but I'll come out to see her lying on the carpet, facing the wall or empty hallway. Her tail also wags when she's barking (in a big back-and-forth way, not the nervous shaky way) so it seems like she's having a good ol' time and feeling pleased with herself when she does it, which again makes us feel bad for trying to get her to stop. Again, she doesn't really seem to be barking at anything in particular, or trying to signal she wants to be let out. She also doesn't bark at other dogs on walks IRL, so we're kind of stumped. Any thoughts?

Akbar fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 19, 2020

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah our dog will happily chew on a rope toy for a bit if you hand it to him. But he sure as hell doesn't understand playing tug. If you tug he will just let it go and look confused. He also doesn't fetch but he will chase after his squeaky toys if you throw them.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Akbar posted:

At first we thought she was seeing things outside when we're in our home offices working but I'll come out to see her lying on the carpet, facing the wall or empty hallway. Her tail also wags when she's barking (in a big back-and-forth way, not the nervous shaky way) so it seems like she's having a good ol' time and feeling pleased with herself when she does it, which again makes us feel bad for trying to get her to stop.

It sounds like she's barking because she wants attention from y'all, the tail wagging is her being satisfied that you came to check on her. Might be something you need to train her out of.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

number 1 snake fan posted:

It sounds like she's barking because she wants attention from y'all, the tail wagging is her being satisfied that you came to check on her. Might be something you need to train her out of.

That'd be nice if she was just trying to curry our attention but her tail wags when she barks regardless of whether we react to her or not, and she never wags her tail when we lavish praise or treats on her otherwise. I feel like her go-to when she wants attention is whining.

You might be right though! We probably need to find more ways to keep her from getting bored.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 19, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Envious of your rarely-barking Abby. Sparty yells his fool head off constantly and also whines and stomps and will punch you in the genitals when he wants food (which is always)

Also he's getting a teeth cleaning on Tuesday and I hope it goes ok :ohdear:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Akbar posted:

Dog playtime

Not understanding fetch or tug-of-war is not limited to greyhounds.

I grew up with a collie who you would think would be good at playing, but her philosophy with fetch was “if whatever you’re throwing is good enough for me to chase after, why the hell would I give it back?” Even this keep-away died down after a few years. She would do tug-of-war if you engaged in it but wasn’t very good at it.

Contrast that with my parents current terrier mix who seemingly instinctively understood fetch since she was a puppy and will also dump a toy in your lap and stare at you until you play tug of war with her.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Our little jerk peed in the house today. We've had him more than 6 months, and other than one accident in the first few weeks we've been pee free.

We just came in from a walk and we're prepping dinner and he just ran down the hall to the bedroom and unloaded (from the spare bladder obvi)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

NomNomNom posted:

Our little jerk peed in the house today. We've had him more than 6 months, and other than one accident in the first few weeks we've been pee free.

We just came in from a walk and we're prepping dinner and he just ran down the hall to the bedroom and unloaded (from the spare bladder obvi)

Oh drat! A similar thing happened with Opal two days ago. We took her out for a walk (during which she had peed 2-3 times), came back, left home again for 10min, then returned to find that she has urinated all over the couch. All over it. I didn't even know she could store that much in her, let alone after seemingly emptying her bladder 15min prior.

She was very quick to rush into my study and sit down on her bed, putting on her best behaviour!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I love Starbuck and also all the bad peepee dogs

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

skoolmunkee posted:

I love Starbuck and also all the bad peepee dogs

She's a beaut. We gave her a bath over the weekend after a nice muddy runaround and she did not enjoy the experience. We tried to make it up to her with a fancy scandinavian sheep's horn.

The barking has also progressed, lamentably, to the point where she started barking her head off at 7am this morning instead of just wandering up to our bedside and whining a bit. That was less than fun.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

DarkHorse posted:

Also he's getting a teeth cleaning on Tuesday and I hope it goes ok :ohdear:

Sparty is home and doing ok though he's clearly unhappy. They had to take three molars, two pre molars, and his upper left canine :(

They let us keep the canine

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I understand your pain, Abby had two separate procedures for extractions

do you have to soften his food for a bit? I had to mix hers with hot water for a week, it smelled pretty gross

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

I understand your pain, Abby had two separate procedures for extractions

do you have to soften his food for a bit? I had to mix hers with hot water for a week, it smelled pretty gross

We're supposed to make it soft for a few weeks, yeah. Right now he's feeling pretty miserable and I feel awful for him, and he's oozed a bit a bloody drool (vet said to expect that but it still makes me sad)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Update: he's feeling better today but still moving around like an old man, and now his face is puffy and swollen

Glad that my goofy boy seems to be recovering

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

glad Sparty is doing better

my friends got one of these things for their two greyhounds (sadly the third just passed), I guess this is.... a thing?

https://the-riotact.com/puppy-love-colourful-cuddlepillars-the-new-craze-for-dishlickers/275150

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Someone needs to find a source for cuddlepillars in the US

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

actionjackson posted:

my friends got one of these things for their two greyhounds (sadly the third just passed), I guess this is.... a thing?

https://the-riotact.com/puppy-love-colourful-cuddlepillars-the-new-craze-for-dishlickers/275150

yes, my partner who is on all the greyhound subreddits has noticed that like everyone there seems to have one; they are in all the pictures for some reason

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

We got given one of these the other weekend from a friend whose Grey didn’t like it. They sell out almost instantly when they go on sale here and I think it’s most Grey owners.

Our girl has a built a little fort with it in the corner, pretty cute.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

My dog has one (although not that exact model), and I'm not sure he's super into it.

It doesn't squeak, so he doesn't really care.

EDIT: He does like it, now that I've reintroduced it to him. A Christmas miracle!

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 5, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

Someone needs to find a source for cuddlepillars in the US

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Seen some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU