Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Apparently Ken Matthews guest hosted today, I wonder if this is just Rush taking Christmas vacation or if he's feeling worse from his cancer, since he was there Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anyway Rush interpreted a reporter misspeaking as proof that Obama is a puppet master who is pulling Biden's strings and rules the Democrat party through his shadow presidency.

quote:

(From a CNN broadcast) ZELENY: Well, president-elect Joe-bama — Joe Biden, rather, did finish speaking here.

RUSH: Did you hear that faux pas? President-elect Joe-bama, confirming my assertion that Biden serves at the pleasure of Obama. Make no mistake. And that’s not a lie based on supply or demand. It’s not a lie in any way, shape, manner, or form. Biden knows it, too, by the way. He knows he’s serving at the pleasure of Barack Obama. Obama’s the guy that made all of this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is that really the best he can do now

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Where does Hillary factor into all this?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well see the previous CEO of Overstock said that he was tasked by the FBI to bribe Hillary Clinton to submit to Obama.

I'm not kidding.

quote:

In an interview with Ann Vandersteel, former Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne alleged that he was complicit in facilitating a bribe for Hillary Clinton in the amount of $18M (on behalf of the FBI) in January, 2016.

The bribe, which he claims she accepted, was then going to be used by members of the Obama administration against Hillary after she was elected.

As it was later explained to him, “President Obama has his people across the federal bureaucracy at this point, but especially at the Department of Justice. Hillary Clinton is going to be President for 8 years and nothing is going to change that, but think of there being a Bunsen burner within the DOJ. That evidence about the bribes you were a part of gathering is going to be sitting on the Bunsen burner. The hand sitting on the burner is going to be one of Barack Obama’s people."

If Hillary is a “good girl” and defends Obamacare, that flame stays low. If she’s a “bad girl” and thinks for herself, that flame is going to get turned up high. That way Barack Obama is going to manage Hillary Clinton for the 8 years she’s President, and then when she steps down, Michelle is going to run.”

Byrne claims it was called “Operation Snowglobe” (allegedly thus dubbed by Obama and Brennan) so that once Hillary stepped into it, they would be able to “shake her up” at any time during her Presidency, if needed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well see the previous CEO of Overstock said that he was tasked by the FBI to bribe Hillary Clinton to submit to Obama.

I'm not kidding.
OK, but why would she be taking the bribe?

also I find the idea of Obama's people blackmailing her to defend Obamacare

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm also unsure how taking the bribe would allow Obama to "shake her up" if she fell out of line. Like, what would he do? Go on TV and say "I bribed Hillary with millions of dollars to do what I told her and she didn't do it, she should be imprisoned."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm also unsure how taking the bribe would allow Obama to "shake her up" if she fell out of line. Like, what would he do? Go on TV and say "I bribed Hillary with millions of dollars to do what I told her and she didn't do it, she should be imprisoned."
I assume they would leak proof of her taking the bribe to the press or whatever

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Right but even if they leaked it to the press they're still leaking "Obama bribed her to be under his control." At best they could say "The Overstock CEO bribed her" but then he would say "Yeah because Obama and the FBI told me to" so they're getting exposed either way. It makes no sense as a method to control her.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So this is hilarious. FOX News had to run a news package debunking Trump's voter fraud bullshit on at least 3 or their shows so far, including Lou Dobbs', after Smartmatic threatened the network with legal action for talking poo poo.

New York (CNN)If President Trump tunes into Fox News this weekend, he may see something unexpected: a point-by-point fact-check to wild election fraud claims made by some of his favorite hosts on the network.

quote:

After voting technology company Smartmatic sent Fox News a blistering legal threat that accused the network of participating in a "disinformation campaign" against it, the network has started airing a remarkable news package debunking claims its hosts and guests have propagated.

The package aired for the first time Friday night on Lou Dobbs' show. Fox News said the same package would air Saturday night on Jeanine Pirro's program as well as Sunday morning on Maria Bartiromo's show. All three hosts, who use their platforms to air pro-Trump propaganda, are close with the President.

The stunning news package featured an interview with voting technology expert Eddie Perez, who poured cold water on a series of conspiracy theories that have been amplified and promoted on the shows of Dobbs, Pirro, and Bartiromo.

Perez said, for instance, that he had not seen any evidence that Smartmatic software was used to manipulate the election or that there was a direct connection between the company and liberal philanthropic billionaire George Soros.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/19/business/fox-smartmatic-news-package/index.html

Jesus Christ. I guess even FOX is finally realizing how many hit points the Golem they helped create has now that it's run completely amok?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Fox News just doesn't want to get sued, even if they can weasel their way out of it by doing the "opinion not news" song and dance again it still costs money to spend time in court. They also don't want to lose advertisers and it's possible that some of them may shy away if Fox News were to continue to go down the road of openly advocating overturning the election.

Though that makes me wonder how OAN and Newsmax are getting money since they are going down that road. I know the My Pillow guy showed up at the Jericho March or whatever so he's all in on trying to install Trump as dictator for life, at least.

I'm also amused by the fact that Fox News Radio airs ads for Newsmax constantly.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Lol

https://twitter.com/dandrezner/status/1340863996602298368?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes that's the thing....I was wondering when these companies would start sending C&Ds considering these RW news orgs are basically accusing them of massive criminal conspiracy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Is there a single thing on the planet that ever happens that Soros doesn't control? Because my direct pipeline to his vast fortune seems rather broken.

Seriously, if he's handing out checks for subversive influence, protesting, being unemployed, shooting off my mouth on message boards and social media, voting for Biden and for standing up to cops then I would very much like some money sooner rather than later and have yet to receive one payment in a horribly bad year where I carried a lot of weight. I'm in a very bad way on a number of rather serious levels and could honestly use some help. No joke.

Anyone with a direct pipeline to the Big S, please send me a PM because George won't return my calls.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/rightwingwatch/status/1341122230026178561?s=21

Unexpected

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Can't say I saw that one coming. Of course for the True Believers, it obviously means that Comey, Mueller and the Deep State got to him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Don't feel too good about it. If he thought Trump could win in 2024 he'd be all over him like flies on poo poo.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

They got their judges so they can afford to wait for the next messiah

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Is there a single thing on the planet that ever happens that Soros doesn't control? Because my direct pipeline to his vast fortune seems rather broken.

Seriously, if he's handing out checks for subversive influence, protesting, being unemployed, shooting off my mouth on message boards and social media, voting for Biden and for standing up to cops then I would very much like some money sooner rather than later and have yet to receive one payment in a horribly bad year where I carried a lot of weight. I'm in a very bad way on a number of rather serious levels and could honestly use some help. No joke.

Anyone with a direct pipeline to the Big S, please send me a PM because George won't return my calls.

I wouldn't have ever even known who Soros was if it weren't for the right wingers in my life asking me if I'm a paid Soros agent when I point out that Trump and Republicans in general are all a bunch of bumbling assholes. Because why would anybody hate on Republicans unless they were being paid handsomely, right?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

greazeball posted:

They got their judges so they can afford to wait for the next messiah

It's this

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I don't know where to ask this hut i feel like i have a lot of experience arguing with people who refuse to engage in bad faith. Is there a term where one person is attempting to explain something and the other party will interrupt to ask incriminating questions about what happens next?

For example i might complain to my boss: "joe wont help me with x..." boss: "well why didnt you ask him?!" "I did but" "are you sure?!" "Yes but" "were you rude?!" "No but" "are you sure?!"

Basically cutting off the speaker to ask incriminating questions assuming knowledge the person asking doesn't have or assuming they have done something negative. Is this poisoning the well or something else?

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

I don't know if it's an exact term for what you're describing, but "Gish galloping" seems like it might be close.

Wikipedia posted:

The Gish gallop is a term for an eristic technique in which a debater attempts to overwhelm an opponent by excessive number of arguments, without regard for the accuracy or strength of those arguments. The term was coined by Eugenie Scott and named after the creationist Duane Gish, who used the technique frequently against proponents of evolution. Comparable terms include scattershot or scattergun argumentation, chaff, snow job or snowing under, flooding the zone, proof by verbosity, and spread debating.

During a Gish gallop, a debater confronts an opponent with a rapid series of many specious arguments, half-truths, and misrepresentations in a short space of time, which makes it impossible for the opponent to refute all of them within the format of a formal debate. In practice, each point raised by the "Gish galloper" takes considerably more time to refute or fact-check than it did to state in the first place. The technique wastes an opponent's time and may cast doubt on the opponent's debating ability for an audience unfamiliar with the technique, especially if no independent fact-checking is involved or if the audience has limited knowledge of the topics.

Generally, it is more difficult to use the Gish gallop in a structured debate than in a free-form one. If a debater is familiar with an opponent who is known to use the Gish gallop, the technique may be countered by pre-empting and refuting the opponent's commonly used arguments first, before the opponent has an opportunity to launch into a Gish gallop.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Edit: posted in wrong forum, my apologies

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

BiggerBoat posted:

My grandmother was a very poor Jewish woman and loved to joke about jews controlling the world.

'What about me? When people say jews have all the money, tell them about me!' and then she would laugh herself into a coughing fit. I miss her attitude.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

tek79 posted:

I don't know if it's an exact term for what you're describing, but "Gish galloping" seems like it might be close.
"circumstantial ad hominem" for this particular case, imo

"unwarranted accusation of conflict of interest", to summarize.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Why is George Soros the rich person right wing boogieman number one? I know antisemitism has a lot to do with it, but there are plenty of other Jewish billionaires the right wing could direct their hate towards.

My hunch is that it's a "class traitor" thing. Like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet donating all their wealth to charity during their lifetimes. The right only like billionaires who hoard their money, and go frothing mad at those who embody anything left wing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

eggyolk posted:

Why is George Soros the rich person right wing boogieman number one? I know antisemitism has a lot to do with it, but there are plenty of other Jewish billionaires the right wing could direct their hate towards.

My hunch is that it's a "class traitor" thing. Like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet donating all their wealth to charity during their lifetimes. The right only like billionaires who hoard their money, and go frothing mad at those who embody anything left wing.

Like a lot of RWM and conservative politicians do, its simply projection. Think of Phillip Mellon Scaiffe and the Koch Brothers who bankroll a ton of all this regressive supply side bullshit propaganda. There must a left wing equivalent doing the same poo poo. Why they settled on Soros alone to the exclusion of anybody else I don't know but they all know his name for sure and he's some kind of liberal Lex Luthor.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I think it’s the network effect. Enough people zero in on him, he gets more attention, then more people jump on, and on and on. Once Soros passes, it’ll just be another old rich Jewish person or family, like the Rothschilds before him.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
It's a european import. He was a big influence in liberalizing markets in eastern europe, and opening the way for the current crop of oligarchs to seize the economy. Anti-Soros sentiment melded pretty quickly with antisemitism, and his pro-refugee efforts (his one good trait) made him an even bigger demon among the right. On top of this the dude is pretty honest about how he makes his money which is a bad thing for a billionaire to do, because even if it's pretty tame by billionaire standards it's still sociopathic in the eyes of the public.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

eggyolk posted:

Pretty much. It is funny that even despite Gates donating so much, he's made even more. Once you hit a certain point you literally can't spend it all.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Pretty much. It is funny that even despite Gates donating so much, he's made even more. Once you hit a certain point you literally can't spend it all.

He absolutely could, but he won't. Its all carefully calculated.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Abongination posted:

He absolutely could, but he won't. Its all carefully calculated.

You're missing the larger issue.

There are legitimate reasons why Gates is trickling his wealth to his foundation - basically, he can't just liquidate all his Microsoft stock at once and put it in well diversified and very conservative endowment-friendly investments, or it'd crash one of the biggest components of the S&P 500 with significant negative ripple effects throughout the US economy. He's a capitalist and cares about the mechanics of capitalism. That's not the important thing here, though.

Even if Bill Gates gives every penny and every last valuable asset he owns to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, he's still going to keep the single most important thing he gets as a billionaire: the ability to influence society and policy. It's still his foundation, and as the guy who put in all the money, he gets to say what they do. Some of it might be good - Carnegie had his libraries, Gates has his vaccines and sanitation projects. But, if Bill has some really stupid idea like "school choice" privatization efforts (and boy oh boy does he believe in that) then Bill gets to spend the foundation's resources on what Bill wants and nobody else gets to say any different even if it's counterproductive to the stated goal of helping educate kids. The Gates Foundation and the giving pledge approach is very slightly better than Walton style generational hyperwealth, but if you believe that billionaires shouldn't have as much power in society, it does nothing to fix that problem.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zedhe Khoja posted:

It's a european import. He was a big influence in liberalizing markets in eastern europe, and opening the way for the current crop of oligarchs to seize the economy. Anti-Soros sentiment melded pretty quickly with antisemitism, and his pro-refugee efforts (his one good trait) made him an even bigger demon among the right. On top of this the dude is pretty honest about how he makes his money which is a bad thing for a billionaire to do, because even if it's pretty tame by billionaire standards it's still sociopathic in the eyes of the public.

He also got a lot of attention with the American right when he came out hard against GWB, which put him clearly in league with terrorists. So now he's part of that whole thing where large swaths of the right will admit that Iraq and Vietnam before it were bad ideas in retrospect, but still think anyone who was against them while they were happening is an anti-american traitor.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
What's stopping Gates etc. from just donating parcels of stock to organisations instead of having to liquidate it first?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
If you were a billionaire, wouldn't the best thing to do for the long term would be to build gigawatts of clean energy generation in every state and undercut fossil fuel plants into bankruptcy? It would be good for the planet an you'd eventually make your money back. And by doing it in every state, especially sun drenched red ones, you create a political base to support the industry.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Space Gopher posted:

Even if Bill Gates gives every penny and every last valuable asset he owns to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, he's still going to keep the single most important thing he gets as a billionaire: the ability to influence society and policy. It's still his foundation, and as the guy who put in all the money, he gets to say what they do. Some of it might be good - Carnegie had his libraries, Gates has his vaccines and sanitation projects. But, if Bill has some really stupid idea like "school choice" privatization efforts (and boy oh boy does he believe in that) then Bill gets to spend the foundation's resources on what Bill wants and nobody else gets to say any different even if it's counterproductive to the stated goal of helping educate kids. The Gates Foundation and the giving pledge approach is very slightly better than Walton style generational hyperwealth, but if you believe that billionaires shouldn't have as much power in society, it does nothing to fix that problem.

This is 100% correct. I've had this argument with a number of people, and it really seems hard to get through to them that even if we like what Gates is doing, he's still doing it completely unaccountable to anyone, there is no check on his power at all. This is one area where I think the Democratic party does deserve a ton of blame for the current state of our politics; they steadfastly refuse to discuss power and how it's exerted in our society, and to call out malefactors (or even good guys!) who have accumulated far too much unaccountable power.

Whatever you think of Chapo, Will Menaker had a quote from an episode that really stuck with me. Paraphrased, "We can either have a democracy in the richest nation in the world that provides a decent quality of life for everyone, or we can have billionaires. But we can't have both".

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Weatherman posted:

What's stopping Gates etc. from just donating parcels of stock to organisations instead of having to liquidate it first?

Self-perpetuating charities are cool and make sense during the gilded age from a technological perspective. You can't regularly be in Philly, Pittsburg and New York on the same day on a regular basis. Let alone multiple cities in the continent of Africa. So you appoint people to do your will through boards, which you are also on so you can pop in when necessary.

With the internet, you don't need to do that. Why give up control of your charities when you don't have to?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Alright, I know this is from 18 months ago, but it is wild that PragerU gets the US Civil War right somehow. There's not ANY Lost Cause crap in this despite the leading text that comes with the post, and the narrator is an academic historian!

https://twitter.com/prageru/status/1149833065079832577

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was one of their first videos and the guy actually didn't know what it was for. And it is wild they got it right considering they just put out a pro-slavery video where they denigrate John Brown as an abolitionist radical in a negative sense to try to make a favorable comparison to Lee.

In addition to the antisemitism the Soros stuff is also projection. The right knows all their poo poo is astroturfed so they need some "left-wing" oligarch to act like the left is the same.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 26, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I remember it was only recently I went and read(skimmed, I aint reading all of that poo poo) the Texas articles of Succession. I dont really remember it in school but I for sure know they didnt show us that article and how it basically says on the second line that "Yes, we are doing this because we want slavery"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Confederate Constitution. Article 4, section 2.

1. The citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States, and shall have the right of transit and sojourn in any State of this Confederacy, with their slaves and other property; and the right of property in said slaves shall not be thereby impaired.

3. No slave or other person held to service or labor in any State or Territory of the Confederate States, under the laws thereof, escaping or lawfully carried into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor; but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such slave belongs, or to whom such service or labor may be due.

"State's rights" is Lost Cause revisionist bullshit.