Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Here's a sick strat to get primogeniture as a tribal government: setup your daughter to reform the HRE, then claim it and form the Archduchy of Austria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icecream citadel
Nov 4, 2020
I read somewhere there is a Vampire The Dark Ages mod. Is this CK2 or CK3? Where can I find it?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Qubee posted:

How do I appease useless powerful vassals wanting positions on my council? I remember reading something about turning powerful people into Dukes as all the vassals beneath them will then quit crying about wanting a council position. I've just done this but the Counts in the Duchy I just gave away to someone useful are still tantruming about it.

They'll still have the Wants Seat on Council penalty (until the Duke puts them on their council), but that penalty is their Duke's problem, not yours.

ie, they'll keep tantruming, just not to you, which is good enough

In the longer term, anything that raises opinion can counterbalance that opinion penalty - so for the powerful vassals you have left: bribe them, sway them, make friends with them, seduce them, send your spare kids to be raised in their courts, murder them if you think their replacement will like you more (except don't get caught doing it or else that replacement very very won't), etc.

icecream citadel posted:

I read somewhere there is a Vampire The Dark Ages mod. Is this CK2 or CK3? Where can I find it?

Both, by what looks like the same team:
CK2: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1333219891
CK3: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216659254

icecream citadel
Nov 4, 2020
Oh, thank you! I went looking and I think the name threw me off in my search.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Qubee posted:

How do I appease useless powerful vassals wanting positions on my council? I remember reading something about turning powerful people into Dukes as all the vassals beneath them will then quit crying about wanting a council position. I've just done this but the Counts in the Duchy I just gave away to someone useful are still tantruming about it.

You give them seats on the council, you mediatise them under that duke, or you just ignore them.

Creating the ducal title on its own accomplishes nothing beyond maybe changing who the powerful vassals are.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You have to actually put the count under the duke with Transfer Vassal. Only direct vassals can want (or have) council positions.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

megane posted:

You have to actually put the count under the duke with Transfer Vassal. Only direct vassals can want (or have) council positions.

There's an option to do this automatically when you give someone a Duke title (IIRC it is usually selected by default), but yes, until you do this one way or the other, the counts will still be your vassal (and also people that have Duke titles but don't own the relevant counties either directly or through vassals will be angry about that too).

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

random things things i have learned

develop your main county!! i forgot to for at least 300 years
also make sure it has more than 2 areas :(

Quoting this from wayyyyyyyyy back in September because this is my current problem. I started in Stezyca, in modern-day Poland, because I was just clicking around looking for somewhere that the name looked cool, okay, it was my second game after finishing the tutorial. (First after was trying the same starting location, but 867 instead, and that did not go well.) I was delighted to learn from wikipedia that there was at one point a Land of Stezyca, ruled from that area, so when I formed an empire out of Lesser Poland (I formed that kingdom out of Lesser Poland, Mazovia, and Kuyavia because Greater Poland was way too beefy), Ruthenia, and Pomerania, I named it Land of Stezyca. Then Empress Kasimiera, the great-granddaughter of Queen Jadwiga, the dynasty's founder, turned her empire feudal. Because I'm bad at war, I was constantly giving everything away so there wasn't anything to divide up when I died, which means all I have is Stezyca, which has the castle and a city and that's it. But I'm feudal now, so I can't just go "hey that looks nice I'm conquering it" for piety, either! My son will inherit the empire, the kingdom, the duchy, and the county of Stezyca, and..... then what do I do with him?

My other current problem is that when I was turning chieftains into high chieftains into kings, I was kind of just haphazardly going "okay I like you, you can have this and that", and as a result the counties of Lesser Poland (except for Stezyca) are all over everywhere, but it's tyrannical for me to say to Vassal A "gimme that back"???)

(Also, is there any way to change what duchies are called? Not, like, "rename this duchy from Cherven to Something_Else", but from "duchy" to "petty kingdom", or whatever? Before I went feudal I was High Queen Kasimiera, but now I'm Empress Kasimiera.)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

As a liege you want to make absolutely sure you're making at least normal taxes from everyone, nobody has special privileges, and giving away all their levies to get it (enjoy clicking through all their contracts one by one).

The worst part of this is that acquiring a new title can come with a host of vassals that all have bullshit privileges.

“What the gently caress do you mean, you have no taxes, no levies, are on the council forever and I can’t revoke anything?”

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
A question for those of you who played a lot of this game: does it have a structure? What I mean is, is there some change to look forward to or is it a medieval stasis with general rise of gold availability?

What I mean is tue game is cyclical and generational, I get it. But it also means that 100 years from the start it doesn't feel that different. My Rangarsons have conquered whole Britannia and know I don't have a lot of interesting questions about their fate apart from will there be civil wars on succession. Maybe what will happen in terms of religion, I guess. I'm a big fan of EU4 where even generic countries face changes with the advent of artillery, colonization, trade companies, religious wars, absolutism, nationalism, coal all posing interesting question about what will your country do with those particular problems. What challenges will I see in my CK3 playthrough apart from what I saw in the beginning (but those challenges are not as interesting now that I have developed core lands and dynastic bonuses)? Are Mongols scary? Do countries consolidate into scary blobs when advanced CBs and succession systems become available? Does economy change?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ilitarist posted:

A question for those of you who played a lot of this game: does it have a structure? What I mean is, is there some change to look forward to or is it a medieval stasis with general rise of gold availability?

What I mean is tue game is cyclical and generational, I get it. But it also means that 100 years from the start it doesn't feel that different. My Rangarsons have conquered whole Britannia and know I don't have a lot of interesting questions about their fate apart from will there be civil wars on succession. Maybe what will happen in terms of religion, I guess. I'm a big fan of EU4 where even generic countries face changes with the advent of artillery, colonization, trade companies, religious wars, absolutism, nationalism, coal all posing interesting question about what will your country do with those particular problems. What challenges will I see in my CK3 playthrough apart from what I saw in the beginning (but those challenges are not as interesting now that I have developed core lands and dynastic bonuses)? Are Mongols scary? Do countries consolidate into scary blobs when advanced CBs and succession systems become available? Does economy change?

I'd say no, and the lack of this is the game's current major shortcoming. The closest you get to a change in structure is that if you're good at the game and trying to do well, there's a point about halfway through where literally nothing will be a challenge any more. Other empires might blob up along with yours, but they won't be a threat. You'll have huge continent-spanning civil wars each succession, but they won't be a threat. Maybe a crusade or two if you're not catholic, but again, not an actual threat. The mongols might show up, but depending on where you are they won't reach you, and even if they do, see earlier point about other empires. Once you hit that moment, you essentially are either just deciding what you want your borders to be for the rest of the game, or conquering as much as you can before the end date, your choice. Or you can deliberately make bad decisions and let yourself be knocked down, but that's still a purely self-directed change, not some challenge the game presented to you.

Will that change with later DLC? Welllll, I'd argue that this is exactly what vanilla CK2 was like, and the only things that really changed that were Sunset Invasion (which was at times in the game's life proper hard even if you were bringing your A-game) and the Coalition system, which is really just a brake on getting to that point rather than an actual structural change. So hopefully they have some new idea for CK3, maybe something that's less focused on stopping you from reaching the position of continental hegemon, and more about recognising that you will get there if you try, and giving new gameplay once you reach that lofty height.

Generally I'd say if you're anyone but an ecumenical christian, winning your first crusade defensively is basically the game's "victory" condition right now. If you can beat the pope, you will never lose a war again, more or less.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 21, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I get what you're saying. Feeling like there's no challenge in the world is boring. However in EU4 they somehow worked around it. For most starts there you will sooner or later become unbeatable. But it's still interesting to manage your expansion and economy. You still get major and minor historical events and missions. I guess it's all an optimization game, and CK3 is always more about gambling and storytelling since the benefits of expansion are always limited and random events are so important.

But now I wonder if it's really all about the challenge. The game is at its best when you have to note all the characters around to manipulate them. When you're a legendary king beloved by all and the game continued long enough for all the empires to fragment you know that you will only get challenged by a succession crisis, and those get old fast.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Having gotten to the end screen three times now, I truly truly just wish there was.....something. An excerpt of a medieval historian describing my house. A flash forward to a modern lecturer telling me if my people will be remembered. Something other than “game over”

Similarly! I reformed my faith to allow for euthanasia. And the first time I took the blessed sacrament decision I got the death screen and got “Trevor killed himself and is in hell now” which is very rude as that was a sacrament

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Have they said anything about what the first DLC is gonna be about yet?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I would say it's pretty static. The gains are exponential, but it doesn't really result in serious changes.

But I would say the exact same thing about EU4 so :shrug:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

There's no rule that says you have to play all the way to the end date. When you've accomplished everything you wanted to with that start and you're bogging down, just start something different, maybe set yourself a different goal. I mean, check this out:

I've never once finished a game. Hell I don't think I ever played more than four or five generations (although that's mostly because I would get busy for a week and then come back and go "I don't remember what was going on in this playthrough, I'll just start a new one).

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

icecream citadel posted:

Both, kinda. Just look on Steam Workshop for "vampire".

EDIT: Hm, this is an interesting way to find out the page didn't fully load because my internet is garbage... Well, someone else answered it better!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

I would say it's pretty static. The gains are exponential, but it doesn't really result in serious changes.

But I would say the exact same thing about EU4 so :shrug:

Yeah, I totally get it's subjective. It's just once I am safe and can ignore characters for a while the game looses the big oomph for me and EU4 usually doesn't.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Something weird happened and I'm not entirely sure what the exact circumstances that lead to where I'm at were.

I was invading some minor part of a very split up France to claim a single county and toehold on the continent. In fighting this war I of course defeated a number of armies and occupied several holdings. Somewhere along the way I got a prisoner that had a claim on an adjacent county to the one I was trying to get. What a stroke of luck! I made note of this and after the war was over, I tried to get this prisoner to join my court so that at some point in the near future I could leverage his claim into expanding further. He joined my court with no issues. Great.

Not too long later I continued with my plan, advancing his claim and fighting a war to gain his claimed county. After I successfully won and awarded him his new lands as my vassal I noticed that I also had several new counties in southern France under my control ?!!?

What happened here? Was this person already a minor lord with several established counties already? Perhaps I simply didn't notice? If so I find it quite surprising that he'd join my court. Is this normal?

What else could have happened here? Why did I wind up with these extra counties I didn't think I was going to get? I thought I was just going to war for one.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Well the game says "press Bob's claims". I think you can't lose a claim during a war for that claim but maybe you can get one?.. Like maybe his father acquired those counties giving Bob new claims?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
It's hard to tell just from the description what happened. Take a look at the title history(s) of the extra counties? My guess is that while you were pressing their claim, they inherited land.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

He couldn't have inherited them while in your court, if he had he would have left. Did he have multiple claims, and do you have the innovation to push multiple claims at once? Did you push his claim to a duchy and a bunch of random ducal vassals came with it?

Go check the title history for those counties and it'll tell you.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Playing my "Nobody's Business But the Turks" run and at one point I'm facing a 150% power vassal rebellion to place a non-dynast on the throne of Khorasan (I also held Oghuz Il and Makran). I start with nearly 16k in gold and by the end of the war I'm down to like 3k because of merc costs lol. I should've taken their offer of White Peace early on, because I would've still had reason to Imprison and Revoke Titles, but dammit I'm Stubborn in real life and I'm going to see this poo poo through to the bitter end so I can get ALL of you bastards in prison at once, revoke all your titles, and execute as many of your family as I can without invoking tyranny. It all worked out in the end, but did put the brakes on an earlier planned invasion of eastern Byzantium. Even managed to somehow wind up with Jerusalem in my realm through weird vassal inheritance rules and handily repelled a crusade, earning me a shitton of prestige and piety, which immediately went into kingdom-level CBs against Byzantium and smaller Ash'ari states in the Mesopotamia region.

Game owns.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
If you play a Norse/ Norman culture and advance to feudalism do you lose the ability to raid over the sea?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Midgetskydiver posted:

If you play a Norse/ Norman culture and advance to feudalism do you lose the ability to raid over the sea?
You can raid as either tribal or unreformed, so unless you reformed your pagan religion, you should be able to raid.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Midgetskydiver posted:

In CK3, not TECHNICALLY (you'll still have the innovation and it would technically still work if you could raid), but you'll lose the ability to raid at all (you have to be unreformed Pagan or tribal to raid, and you can't go feudal as an unreformed Pagan, so once you go feudal raiding is disabled).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 22, 2020

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Does the AI ever murder plot against your player character?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yes

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

comedyblissoption posted:

Absolutely, it's just often they don't have the power to do it.

Twice within the first few months of my Daura matrilineal game, I was murdered by my husband's concubine.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

scaterry posted:

It's hard to tell just from the description what happened. Take a look at the title history(s) of the extra counties? My guess is that while you were pressing their claim, they inherited land.

PittTheElder posted:

He couldn't have inherited them while in your court, if he had he would have left. Did he have multiple claims, and do you have the innovation to push multiple claims at once? Did you push his claim to a duchy and a bunch of random ducal vassals came with it?

Go check the title history for those counties and it'll tell you.

Huh! Turns out he gained the dutchy title due to a faction demand!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

I was murdered by my player heir, who got exposed when he murdered me.

Which meant that I ended up playing a character who was hated by every vassal and family member.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

absolutely

I've received so many plush rugs..

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Reveilled posted:

I'd say no, and the lack of this is the game's current major shortcoming. The closest you get to a change in structure is that if you're good at the game and trying to do well, there's a point about halfway through where literally nothing will be a challenge any more. Other empires might blob up along with yours, but they won't be a threat. You'll have huge continent-spanning civil wars each succession, but they won't be a threat. Maybe a crusade or two if you're not catholic, but again, not an actual threat. The mongols might show up, but depending on where you are they won't reach you, and even if they do, see earlier point about other empires. Once you hit that moment, you essentially are either just deciding what you want your borders to be for the rest of the game, or conquering as much as you can before the end date, your choice. Or you can deliberately make bad decisions and let yourself be knocked down, but that's still a purely self-directed change, not some challenge the game presented to you.

Will that change with later DLC? Welllll, I'd argue that this is exactly what vanilla CK2 was like, and the only things that really changed that were Sunset Invasion (which was at times in the game's life proper hard even if you were bringing your A-game) and the Coalition system, which is really just a brake on getting to that point rather than an actual structural change. So hopefully they have some new idea for CK3, maybe something that's less focused on stopping you from reaching the position of continental hegemon, and more about recognising that you will get there if you try, and giving new gameplay once you reach that lofty height.

Generally I'd say if you're anyone but an ecumenical christian, winning your first crusade defensively is basically the game's "victory" condition right now. If you can beat the pope, you will never lose a war again, more or less.

I'd love if there was an organic way for empires to crumble, when helmed by the player (I precise since AI realms often do crumble). The only other game I remember playing that had made it fun to survive by the skin of your teeth was Total War: Attila, where you're just scrounging by as the world goes to poo poo. I'm not sure if there is a way to make it as pleasing as it was in TW:A for CK3, but I'd love to see it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So I got a little cocky and wound up losing against the crusade for Jerusalem in spite of my 2:1 advantage, but it was no big deal. One murder plot later (to end the forced truce) and I launched a kingdom level holy war and retook the holy land with minimal effort. Don't mess with the Kushunid empire

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Popoto posted:

I'd love if there was an organic way for empires to crumble, when helmed by the player (I precise since AI realms often do crumble). The only other game I remember playing that had made it fun to survive by the skin of your teeth was Total War: Attila, where you're just scrounging by as the world goes to poo poo. I'm not sure if there is a way to make it as pleasing as it was in TW:A for CK3, but I'd love to see it.

I think it would be very hard to do, I'm no game designer but I've got to imagine it must be maddeningly difficult to design systems which can cause empires to collapse which are not cripplingly unfun for new players, but also a reasonable challenge for good players. The way I'm thinking, most players who end up making large empires want to rule a large empire, so how can ruling a large empire be made to be fun? Potentially fighting to keep control of it and stop it collapsing is one way, but I don't think it's the only one.

Some scattered thoughts on that front:
Right now the game's diplomatic range always includes everyone in your realm. Should that be the case? Maybe if you're ruling France from Constantinople, the french should be outside your diplomatic range in some way, maybe letting them choose if they keep to your feudal contract or ignore it (maybe letting them declare war even if your laws don't allow it, but in turn being declared upon won't bring you in).

As your empire grows, each individual vassal's power diminishes greatly, but the court officials should maybe become significantly more powerful. How could the game be structured such that the landless Eunuch you appointed as Chancellor is the second most powerful person in the Empire after you?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

How could the game be structured such that the landless Eunuch you appointed as Chancellor is the second most powerful person in the Empire after you?

Give the council members a bonus to schemes based on their tenure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The simplest change would honestly be to just up the character random mortality rate. Far too many people are ruling till 80, meaning you're always playing heirs who are established in their own right by the time of succession. Let's get some more child rulers in there, should stir things up a bit.

That and teaching the AI how MaA work so that it's possible for them to win a fight against a player. Also potentially changing how MaA work.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Reveilled posted:

Some scattered thoughts on that front:
Right now the game's diplomatic range always includes everyone in your realm. Should that be the case? Maybe if you're ruling France from Constantinople, the french should be outside your diplomatic range in some way, maybe letting them choose if they keep to your feudal contract or ignore it (maybe letting them declare war even if your laws don't allow it, but in turn being declared upon won't bring you in).

I mean this is pretty much how it happened irl, but within france.
The French king had to go on pretty regular expeditions to the south to keep vassals in line who were inclined to ignore him when he left

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that's how nearly every realm worked, the capital system now is understandable but makes no sense historically.

Also I think while we're brainstorming this business with feudal lords paying taxes to their lieges almost certainly needs to go, in favor of them providing military service (kinda the central theme of Western feudalism to the extent that it was ever one thing). Drawing on the income of all your vassals makes you so much more powerful than they are.

The Roman Empire would need an exception to this whenever that rework comes, they had had a long standing centralized and universal taxation structure going. Maybe tie it to an innovation, since England did manage to get one set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

That distance from the capital penalty idea seemed really good tbh