Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Can you edit the link into your post now that it’s posted, that way no one skims the thread, reads your post, and feels validated in not taking this seriously?

Edited: One case of reinfection is not the same as an entire nursing home being reinfected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Still don’t see no link, tough guy

Gimme a little out of context quote from the article too, as a treat.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Starks posted:

lol what you described would be international news if it happened

There have been multiple cases of reinfections so far. They've been international news. To know more, we'll have to wait for the disease to be older than a year. Confirming reinfection isn't easy in the first place, but it clearly happens.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

There have been multiple cases of reinfections so far. They've been international news. To know more, we'll have to wait for the disease to be older than a year. Confirming reinfection isn't easy in the first place, acting like we know everything at this point in time is dumb.

I understand that. The original post said an entire nursing home got reinfected, not a single case. How could a single case prove reinfections aren't rare?

Edit: I just spent a bunch of time looking it up and there doesn't even appear to be a single case of multiple reinfections in the same setting. I could also only find one case of death after confirmed reinfection. All of which supports the idea that maybe people who have already had it shouldn't be at the front of the line for the vaccine, at least within their own vaccine group. No one is saying reinfection doesn't happen or isn't something to take seriously.

Starks fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 23, 2020

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

Because of COVID, and the chuds that don't take the virus seriously I was not able to be by a loved ones side.
It's a special type of hell.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Starks posted:

I understand that. The original post said an entire nursing home got reinfected, not a single case. How could a single case prove reinfections aren't rare?

Edit: I just spent a bunch of time looking it up and there doesn't even appear to be a single case of multiple reinfections in the same setting. I could also only find one case of death after confirmed reinfection. All of which supports the idea that maybe people who have already had it shouldn't be at the front of the line for the vaccine, at least within their own vaccine group. No one is saying reinfection doesn't happen or isn't something to take seriously.

reinfection was an expected phenomenon from the beginning because a very few people will not mount a proper immune response to the virus in the first place, leaving them vulnerable to reinfection

there is nothing out there suggesting that there's more to it

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But also, we don't know how long immunity lasts. And different mutations may foil it. We'll know in a few years.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

But also, we don't know how long immunity lasts. And different mutations may foil it. We'll know in a few years.

But presumably the vaccines will be widely available by the end of 2021. While there is a limited supply it just seems like they could stretch what they have by skipping the 20% of the population that has had covid until there's plenty to go around.

Reinfections seem to be an extreme outlier, or am I missing something?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Starks posted:

This.

Stating that "an entire nursing home has a reinfection 6 months after the first infection" seems like Hadlock might be making an utterly unsubstantiated and fear mongering claim that is demonstrably false.

Do we really need to flat out lie in order to make things seem even worse and scarier than they are? Why?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
A very cool and great time for my TMJ to flare up. Probably stress induced and GEE I WONDER WHATS STRESSFUL

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

teen witch posted:

A very cool and great time for my TMJ to flare up. Probably stress induced and GEE I WONDER WHATS STRESSFUL

if I was Idiot Queen of the r/relationships thread I imagine I'd be clenching my teeth a lot too

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fame Douglas posted:

That won't necessarily matter. One of the problems with covid was that it was novel, and therefore everyone could catch it at once and overwhelm hospital capacity. With a novel virus a 2% fatality rate could mean 2% of your entire population dying in one year.

If it turns out immunity lasts 3 years or 5 years or 10 years, that would lead to a constant trickle of infections rather than a flood. Especially if half the population dutifully gets their covid vaccine booster every year. With time cities could permanently increase their ICU beds to account for higher demand. Maybe permanent covid wards. As long as hospitals are not overwhelmed the fatality rate should remain as low as possible. Minimize the trickle of patients with long term or permanent disability.

It would be a constant economic drain, but not a catastrophic emergency. We can deal with another endemic disease.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Facebook Aunt posted:

That won't necessarily matter. One of the problems with covid was that it was novel, and therefore everyone could catch it at once and overwhelm hospital capacity. With a novel virus a 2% fatality rate could mean 2% of your entire population dying in one year.

If it turns out immunity lasts 3 years or 5 years or 10 years, that would lead to a constant trickle of infections rather than a flood. Especially if half the population dutifully gets their covid vaccine booster every year. With time cities could permanently increase their ICU beds to account for higher demand. Maybe permanent covid wards. As long as hospitals are not overwhelmed the fatality rate should remain as low as possible. Minimize the trickle of patients with long term or permanent disability.

It would be a constant economic drain, but not a catastrophic emergency. We can deal with another endemic disease.

Your knowledge is always so soothing.

Thank you
Separately I don't know what to do about my mother. Here in southern California after months and months of careful isolation she's decided she must go to a dog show January 6th out of town and stay in a motel.

I'm at my wits end. If she gets it I will get it there's almost no way I won't. I'm scared I admit it.

Nothing to do but suck it up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spinz posted:

Thank you
Separately I don't know what to do about my mother. Here in southern California after months and months of careful isolation she's decided she must go to a dog show January 6th out of town and stay in a motel.

I'm at my wits end. If she gets it I will get it there's almost no way I won't. I'm scared I admit it.

The first week of January is going to be the worst week of the entire pandemic, numbers wise. The most cases, the most hospitalizations, the most deaths.

Of course, every week following that will also be the worst week ever as the record keeps getting broken over and over.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I am stupid and got exposed, gently caress this gay earth

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
You are not stupid, coronatae. I hope you were not infected. If you were, I hope you recover quickly.

I'm biding my time to get vaccinated as a person who is a medical basket case. My employer is thankfully going to let me remain on telework til mid to late 2021, maybe beyond that (i.e. full time telework).

My entire family is isolating itself until all of us can be inoculated and the virus spread is reduced, maybe next Thanksgiving. I've kind of stopped talking to my friends as many started going outside their bubble to have dinner with some of our friend groups and like... There's no situation where social activity is more important than staying alive and not spreading a virus. It's selfish to state anything otherwise because you can't stay as isolated as your peers because you had to have dinner and drinks with one of our cohorts for Reasons. And yet, this is where we are in the US.

I hope my liver can hang on until reality becomes slightly less dire, and my day to day can be filled with only normal levels of dread.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Spinz posted:

If she's exhibiting her dog you could give it a really bad haircut.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Spinz posted:

Thank you

Did you try just plain telling her how scared you are? Maybe she will listen. And if not, buy a respirator you can use in common areas of your home and avoid her for 14 days, eat in your room etc.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Can’t believe this stupid Spirograph motherfucker is killing us all smh

Also can anyone explain what I’m looking at here?

3D model of a protein - no idea what part of the virus this is, maybe a section of one of the spikes? Here's a page with a picture of the various proteins the virus' genome encodes: https://zhanglab.ccmb.med.umich.edu/COVID-19/

Edit: Yeah, the N501Y mutation (which means the amino acid asparagine (N) has been replaced by a tyrosine (Y) at position 501 in the amino acid sequence of the protein in question) is in the spike protein.

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 23, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

coronatae posted:

I am stupid and got exposed, gently caress this gay earth

the way this is going i feel like it's a matter of time before we all catch it somehow..i already know i'm going to die of it in the irony period between vaccine shot 1 and vaccine shot 2 for maximum comedy

my 63 year mom is about to get the pfizer shot in her country which is a small bit of relief..told her its at least 6 weeks and a second part before she can continue to do all the things she is already doing, but at least there's some buffer now from idiots killing her! progress. she's nervous about it but i've been trying to shut that poo poo down asap, i'd take it before her if i could to get her to do it with confidence but i think it's going to be the summer for me if we're all lucky on the distribution.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

zer0spunk posted:

the way this is going i feel like it's a matter of time before we all catch it somehow..i already know i'm going to die of it in the irony period between vaccine shot 1 and vaccine shot 2 for maximum comedy

my 63 year mom is about to get the pfizer shot in her country which is a small bit of relief..told her its at least 6 weeks and a second part before she can continue to do all the things she is already doing, but at least there's some buffer now from idiots killing her! progress. she's nervous about it but i've been trying to shut that poo poo down asap, i'd take it before her if i could to get her to do it with confidence but i think it's going to be the summer for me if we're all lucky on the distribution.

Luckily the initial dose definitely has a decent amount of protection (its hard to tell exactly how much) after the first dose and about 2 weeks so your mum ought to be fine!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Really thought I could trust the friend I've been seeing intermittently, went to their house for a nice meal and was in close unmasked proximity to them and a member of their household who apparently recently proctored an exam to a visibly sick student and developed symptoms yesterday.

The whole idea was a mistake and now several peoples' Christmases are ruined. I am sleeping on the floor with a mask on to be distanced from my partner because our only other room is occupied by my in-laws who were looking forward to one nice thing in an absolute garbage heap of a year. Gonna get a proper PCR test this weekend, a week out from exposure.

Trust no one.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Facebook Aunt posted:

We truly live in the most boring cyberpunk dystopia.

I wonder if the people are going to try to stop wearing mask and say they were vaccinated even though they weren't. What am I saying; of course they're going to do that!

Anyway I got exposed at to the virus while in the office last week. The person who had it tested positive on Saturday and they let everyone in the office know Monday...except for me who was working from home. Fun stuff.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
ah cool!

We've got yet another variant in the UK which is even worse than the new variant.

Very little info on it yet but anyone who has been to South Africa recently has been asked to go into quarantine immediately.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

mr_jolly posted:

ah cool!

We've got yet another variant in the UK which is even worse than the new variant.

Very little info on it yet but anyone who has been to South Africa recently has been asked to go into quarantine immediately.

You're a loving island come ON

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

mr_jolly posted:

They just won't stop going on about braai.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

mr_jolly posted:

ah cool!

Lmao. Completely ineffective government. We are hosed. Lock foreign travellers up for 2 weeks like every half decent country on the planet. Stop flights. Asking morons to do something of their own free will is pointless.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

pro starcraft loser posted:

To be fair, think this one was imported from South Africa from what the press conference is saying:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-confirms-two-cases-of-another-new-variant-linked-to-south-africa-12171410

The first variant, yeah sorry about that.....

mr_jolly fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 23, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yay, personal experience with someone being a fucker. I have a coworker who learned that someone in her household was infected. She was told that she had to be out until everyone was cleared. (Side note, she learned about the infection at lunch and then went back to work for a couple of hours before telling anyone.) She came back this week and when talking to her I noticed that she had a brand new tattoo on her arm that wasn't there before. So yeah, great job with the quarantine.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

pro starcraft loser posted:

if they won't stop people leaving at least we can stop letting them in anywhere else. they're making it easy too with brexit happening next week!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Took a PCR test yesterday and got a positive result, which is the most appropriate way for the last two weeks of 2020 to go. I feel fine, the doctor that called with my results told me it might be 4-5 days before I feel any symptoms, and like a 40% I never feel anything at all.

I had a last minute work trip sprung on me last week which is likely where I got it. I was masked the entire time I wasn't in my hotel room, hand sanitized frequently, and all of the people I interacted with have tested negative, so who knows. If I had to guess it was the packed as hell Charlotte Airport and the full flight home that did it (gently caress you American Airlines!). Dumb on my part for agreeing to go, I guess.

The bright side is at least this is an easy excuse to not see my dad or in-laws for the Holidays. Which of course sucks, but it's an easy excuse not be guilted into attempting a visit.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Lots more UK going on double-super-secret-lockdown from 26th. Mostly because they have twice as many cases as a week ago.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gaunab posted:

I wonder if the people are going to try to stop wearing mask and say they were vaccinated even though they weren't. What am I saying; of course they're going to do that!

Ideally universal mask mandates will remain in effect until at least 50% of the population is vaccinated. No exception for vaccination or previous infection, because the guys manning the doors at walmart are not qualified to make a judgement call on that. Even if your jurisdiction makes a unique and hard to copy proof-of-vaccination, like the bracelets in Contagion, there's nothing stopping jerks from saying they got it over the boarder and this dingy printout is totally proof of vaccination.

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012

teen witch posted:

I feel your pain-literally.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

coronatae posted:

Really thought I could trust the friend I've been seeing intermittently, went to their house for a nice meal and was in close unmasked proximity to them and a member of their household who apparently recently proctored an exam to a visibly sick student and developed symptoms yesterday.

The whole idea was a mistake and now several peoples' Christmases are ruined. I am sleeping on the floor with a mask on to be distanced from my partner because our only other room is occupied by my in-laws who were looking forward to one nice thing in an absolute garbage heap of a year. Gonna get a proper PCR test this weekend, a week out from exposure.

Trust no one.

Uh, yeah the thread has been saying that already. Not sure why you thought it was a good idea.

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012
I’m still trying to wrap my head around how schools (at least elementary in MA) aren’t vectors and getting shut down. We chose to keep our kids home for remote school and one is having a harder time than I expected. Go back and forth on feeling lovely for keeping him home when things seem ok at his school.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mr_jolly posted:

ah cool!

Yeah it's bad

https://twitter.com/caroleigh21/status/1340654310594551812

SA Minister of Health:
https://twitter.com/DrZweliMkhize/status/1339983120368582658

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

imandyyo posted:

I’m still trying to wrap my head around how schools (at least elementary in MA) aren’t vectors and getting shut down. We chose to keep our kids home for remote school and one is having a harder time than I expected. Go back and forth on feeling lovely for keeping him home when things seem ok at his school.

My wife is a teacher and statistically at least in her school district being in school is one of the safest environments for kids. mandatory masks, separation of chairs as much as is feasibly possible, heavy contact tracing/awareness of who is sitting where, sending anyone home that is possibly exposed, etc etc has gone a long way. From everything the school district and department of health are saying, there have been very, very few cases of infection due to being at school. It’s all happening outside of school where people are less careful.

That said my she just got off of a 4 day bedroom quarantine with multiple negative regular/pcr results because she was exposed by her aide.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Four more years! at least imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

As long as the vaccines work for it.