Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

BobHoward posted:

The memory management is not different. If you need 16GB for the stuff you describe on Intel, you need 16GB for it on ARM.

OK, that's what I figured, alright, just pulled the trigger on the M1 16GB 256GB Mini. If I can get by fine with a 128GB MacBook between Google Drive and NAS now I can't imagine the $800 bucks to mirror internally in the Mac Mini.

I've been turning this around in my head a bunch, by current setup is a MacBook Air, one port with pass through power, USB for mouse and keyboard and HDMI, Webcam and Ethernet, one port for a Thunderbolt to Displayport.

So new setup will be on Thunderbolt C to DisplayPort for one monitor, native HDMI for the other display, mouse and keyboard take up one of the USB-A ports, actually, there is more than enough bandwidth to throw the webcam on there too, so I'm left with one Thunderbolt Port or one USB-A port if I decide to use a scratch disk or locally mirror the NAS that sits 5 feet away if I suddenly decide to get into 4K HDR video editing or whatever.

Am I missing anything on why I would want to go ahead and put 2TB in the Mini, which I would just use right now to mirror the NAS, which is already mirrored on Google Drive on symmetrical gigabit fiber. I feel like I have covered any reasonable storage/performance bottlenecks that couldn't be completely solved my throwing a Thunderbolt SSD on the free port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BobHoward posted:

Is that with an otherwise idle system?

I've noticed inflated M1 CPU use percentages when it's lightly loaded, that is, when everything's on the efficiency cores at low clock speeds. As soon as the system enters a heavier load state, clocks go up and/or the performance cores start to get used, and magically the percentage of CPU used by low intensity background threads goes way down.

Ah, huh, you've got a point there, I didn't think about it being on the little cores. Looks like Activity Monitor probably shows them as Core 1 - 4, there is probably a way to see which processes are using which core -- I tried htop and it lists 0 as the last core for each process.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What's the spec on the storage controller on the M1 systems? I presume its the same as the mobile SOC?

e: Is it directly hooked up to the CPU using some proprietary bus so even lower latency than PCIe offerings?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 24, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I was excited to try out The Pathless on my 4th Gen Apple TV and then saw the disclaimer that the A8 chip in it isn't compatible. Feelsbad. For $5 a month Arcade seems like an "ok" deal and I wouldn't mind keeping the sub if a refreshed Apple TV box that has a major focus on casual gaming comes out next year.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

teagone posted:

I was excited to try out The Pathless on my 4th Gen Apple TV and then saw the disclaimer that the A8 chip in it isn't compatible. Feelsbad. For $5 a month Arcade seems like an "ok" deal and I wouldn't mind keeping the sub if a refreshed Apple TV box that has a major focus on casual gaming comes out next year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/22/2021-apple-tv-rumors/

There was actually a rumor about this very thing that came up.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

one of the biggest games on ios and other platforms this year was genshin impact.
guess what - the game doesn't have controller support on ios.

stuff like this is why i lol whenever people talk about gaming on apple devices ever escaping mobile game prison

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Skeezy posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/22/2021-apple-tv-rumors/

There was actually a rumor about this very thing that came up.

Neat. Give me a ~$149 box that's got a beefy A14 or whatever chip and I'll buy it, Apple.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

teagone posted:

I picked up 2 used ATV 4K for $120 each. I wanted to wait for the next one but fam couldn't.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I'm in no hurry to get one at the moment. I've got enough games in my backlog, but signed up for a 1-month trial of Arcade and am currently enjoying a handful of games using a spare DS4 controller I was gifted a long while ago that I never had use for. Would be cool if Game Pass somehow gets on the refreshed Apple TV box for cloud gaming. They already have Steam Link, so like, might as well right? Lol.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Think you guys might wanna be discussing AppleTV stuff here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748522

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

What's the spec on the storage controller on the M1 systems? I presume its the same as the mobile SOC?

e: Is it directly hooked up to the CPU using some proprietary bus so even lower latency than PCIe offerings?

Apple curiously hasn't even published the Block Diagram for any of its M1 machines, or we could tell from that.

Whatever it is, it may explain why Apple chose to only allow booting from Thunderbolt devices.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Think you guys might wanna be discussing AppleTV stuff here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748522

Hey mang they are like all the same guts now. Apple hardware guts mega thread.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shaocaholica posted:

The M1 SSD controller shows up in System Information and IORegistryExplorer (a dev tool) as an NVME device. It has no published specs because Apple. It is presumably from the same family tree as the SSD controller Apple uses in iPhones and iPads, and the T1/T2 chips found in Intel Macs.

The latency internal to NAND flash memory is large compared to PCIe bus transaction latency, so, it shouldn't make too much difference whether the NVMe driver talks to the NVMe controller over PCIe or a M1 on-chip bus. (In T1/T2 form, it literally was behind a PCIe link.)

Binary Badger posted:

Apple curiously hasn't even published the Block Diagram for any of its M1 machines, or we could tell from that.

Whatever it is, it may explain why Apple chose to only allow booting from Thunderbolt devices.

Apple allows it - you can make a bootable USB installer with createinstallmedia and apparently it works fine. Those installers are just a reduced feature copy of macOS which boots into an installer shell, so there's nothing blocking USB boot from working.

I've even seen a couple reports of success installing to and booting from a USB drive. It's just that bugs cause installation to a USB device to fail for nearly everybody. I tried myself and had no success. We probably just have to wait for 11.2 or 11.3.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Purely speculative but the only reason M1 uses PCIe as a bus is because it would cost too much money/development time to put a Thunderbolt controller that wasn't Alpine Ridge inside of it.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Any suggestions for a thunderbolt 3 dock that has at least one nvme bay in it?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

Purely speculative but the only reason M1 uses PCIe as a bus is because it would cost too much money/development time to put a Thunderbolt controller that wasn't Alpine Ridge inside of it.

Huh? M1 macs don't have Alpine Ridge chips, and the TB controller is internal to M1. There are Intel thunderbolt chips inside M1 Macs, but they're just analog mixed signal conditioners (retimers), not controllers.

Regardless of who designed and built the TB controller, though, it needs a connection to PCIe. Thunderbolt doesn't really have a native mode, it's used only to tunnel other packetized serial IO standards. 99.9999 % of the peripherals you can talk to through TB are one of PCIe or DisplayPort.

(IIRC you're actually required to support both DP and PCIe on a TB port to get legal permission to use the Thunderbolt trademark and logo.)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hm, it was my understanding that Apple was, like, Intel's main partner in TB development but I didn't realize they could internalize the controller into the silicon. (The reason why this is of interest and frustrating is the fact that zero 3rd party PCIe Thunderbolt cards exist lol)

And yes I haven't read the requirement of the standard lately but to get the logo/certification it has to support the full gamut of connectivity supported by the protocol.

Now that I think about it, makes more sense than my first blush because even though they build the nvme controller into T2 or whatever the hell they're calling it now [ probably baked into M1 as well] its cheaper to buy compatible nvme NAND for their SSDs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
USB 4.0 is gonna replace TB right?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

redeyes posted:

lmao no it gets worse

https://9to5mac.com/2020/07/08/thunderbolt-4/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JUST LOOK FOR THE TB LOGO LOL! Get the gently caress out of here. Great.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

redeyes posted:

JUST LOOK FOR THE TB LOGO LOL! Get the gently caress out of here. Great.

Yeah, because third-party sellers on Amazon are totally not completely sketch and basically equivalent to spinning the roulette wheel as to what cables you're actually getting...

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
just buy 50 dollar cables

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

Hm, it was my understanding that Apple was, like, Intel's main partner in TB development but I didn't realize they could internalize the controller into the silicon. (The reason why this is of interest and frustrating is the fact that zero 3rd party PCIe Thunderbolt cards exist lol)

Intel finally made zero-revenue TB licensing terms available in 2020. I'm guessing it'll take a bit before there's lots of third party TB controller silicon.

(as you say, Apple was Intel's TB dev partner, so I'm sure Apple was always in a position to design their own and get favorable licensing terms, but never had a great reason to do so until M1)

quote:

Now that I think about it, makes more sense than my first blush because even though they build the nvme controller into T2 or whatever the hell they're calling it now [ probably baked into M1 as well] its cheaper to buy compatible nvme NAND for their SSDs.

NVMe is the software interface to the SSD controller. The electrical interface between SSD controllers and NAND chips is a lower level protocol similar to the DDRn series of interfaces for DRAM. There are two options: Toggle NAND (Samsung and Toshiba), and ONFI or Open NAND Flash Interface (everyone else). Apple's controller probably supports both.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, because third-party sellers on Amazon are totally not completely sketch and basically equivalent to spinning the roulette wheel as to what cables you're actually getting...

Anker and Aukey are the only third parties I trust at this point, and even then I have to make sure the listings are actually sold and shipped by them.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BobHoward posted:

Is that with an otherwise idle system?

I've noticed inflated M1 CPU use percentages when it's lightly loaded, that is, when everything's on the efficiency cores at low clock speeds. As soon as the system enters a heavier load state, clocks go up and/or the performance cores start to get used, and magically the percentage of CPU used by low intensity background threads goes way down.

The traditional method of estimating CPU use % is just to count up time. During the last accounting interval, how many seconds of CPU time did process X use across all its threads? Divide by the accounting interval and convert that ratio to a percentage and you're done.

Technologies like Intel Turbo have been making that simple accounting methodology a bit shaky for a long time. M1 seems to take that to the next level. I think it's the M1's ability to run many light loads at low clocks (seems to be better integration between chip and OS than with Intel Turbo, which just tries to push clocks as fast as it can at all times), and the huge difference in performance per clock between its P and E cores.

I’m sure this can be accounted for in due time with a different accounting method. Maybe % of max thermal capacity?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

redeyes posted:

It's...complicated, but the whole TB as branding thing makes sense in the context of it. USB will technically support the TB stuff as part of official USB protocol, but it's all optional, so having a "USB4" port doesn't mean poo poo as far as actually having TB support (particularly the PCIe part). TB branding basically means "this supports all the poo poo" (in theory) and you don't have to think about it.

(Course I'm thinking of the computer side ports in particular here, while USB cables will still be a shitshow I'm sure)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I’m planning to upgrade from my old 2011 iMac to the M1 MacBook Pro in the new year. I’m a bit of a data hoarder so I have a bunch of USB and SD cards which obviously don’t plug straight into the MacBook. There’s a bunch of Simple USB-C adapters on Amazon, are those things reliable? It might be a bit of a dumb question but I have no idea if they might fry something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Creature posted:

I’m planning to upgrade from my old 2011 iMac to the M1 MacBook Pro in the new year. I’m a bit of a data hoarder so I have a bunch of USB and SD cards which obviously don’t plug straight into the MacBook. There’s a bunch of Simple USB-C adapters on Amazon, are those things reliable? It might be a bit of a dumb question but I have no idea if they might fry something.

If they’re well rated they’re fine. If you’re worried, you could get a well-rated USB-C or thunderbolt hub with like 1-3 Type-A ports and/or an SD reader and plug your storage media into that.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BobHoward posted:

Intel finally made zero-revenue TB licensing terms available in 2020. I'm guessing it'll take a bit before there's lots of third party TB controller silicon.

(as you say, Apple was Intel's TB dev partner, so I'm sure Apple was always in a position to design their own and get favorable licensing terms, but never had a great reason to do so until M1)

NVMe is the software interface to the SSD controller. The electrical interface between SSD controllers and NAND chips is a lower level protocol similar to the DDRn series of interfaces for DRAM. There are two options: Toggle NAND (Samsung and Toshiba), and ONFI or Open NAND Flash Interface (everyone else). Apple's controller probably supports both.

Cool, thanks for the info!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no no no!!!!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
IIRC the PPC to Intel transition lasted 2 OS revisions. 10.4 and 10.5 with 10.6 fully dropping support for the older arch. Any guess if history will repeat itself although hardware these days are lasting way longer than hardware did back in 2005.

I mean can you imagine a new MacPro or iMacPro getting OS support dropped after 11.1? Or I guess Apple can keep doing extended supplemental updates to the last supported 11 version for those machines.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
10.6 included Rosetta.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sorry I meant supporting the hardware not software. 10.6 didn't support running on PPC. 10.5 was the last release you can run on a PPC Mac.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Sorry I meant supporting the hardware not software. 10.6 didn't support running on PPC. 10.5 was the last release you can run on a PPC Mac.

https://youtu.be/Jsy7JW2LC48

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mac Pro 2019 would cement Intel on macOS until 12.0, then we'd have to see what's going on the M3 or whatever IMHO

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Creature posted:

How about getting a nas which includes usb and sd slots (like a qnap 253b or 453b) to consolidate that pile of devices into a single easy searchable point?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Mac Pro 2019 would cement Intel on macOS until 12.0, then we'd have to see what's going on the M3 or whatever IMHO

Apple showed no extended love for Powermac G5 so....

If pro apps start doing arm builds what’s keeping Apple from doing the same?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

We’re gonna be on MacOS 11 for the next 20 years, what are you talking about

Shaocaholica posted:

Apple showed no extended love for Powermac G5 so....

If pro apps start doing arm builds what’s keeping Apple from doing the same?

That’s arguably because the G5 was a hot, wet, leaky mess and Apple strongly incentivized owners of the G5 to switch to Mac Pro, IIRC.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok Comboomer posted:

That’s arguably because the G5 was a hot, wet, leaky mess and Apple strongly incentivized owners of the G5 to switch to Mac Pro, IIRC.

Ah good point. If the extended support is real maybe a used off lease dumpster Intel Mac Pro might be in the works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

We’re gonna be on MacOS 11 for the next 20 years, what are you talking about

Oh, you mean 11.15.7 or something like that? Hmm, possible, we don't know how screwy Apple will act in the future

quote:

I actually recall people who bought multiple liquid cooled G5s for their studios come into the Apple Stores of that day screaming while green Nickelodeon goo dripped out of their G5s.. I witnessed Apple allowing some of these folks to upgrade to MP 2,1's.. for a prorated fee of course.

The current situation is a lot different from then, because Intel still actively is evolving their CPUs and has tons of money to do so.. IBM was content to let the G5 languish in hell because they were hitting the 3 GHz wall and couldn't get past it without sucking even more power.. towards the end, Apple was selling the 2.7 GHz G5 with a friggin' One KW power supply..