Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

FiskTireBoy posted:

I must have been one of the few people that was absolutely dreading 2020 on Dec 31st 2019. Because at that point the virus was raging through Wuhan and it was on the news but it wasn't headline news like it is now. And one of things they were talking about was how much Chinese people travel all around the world on New years and I just knew it was going to make it here (the US) and it was going to be really bad. And that it was the worst possible time ever for that to happen with the "leadership" we have.

I remember mum sending me a link on the 31st about a pneumonic virus in Wuhan because I used to frequently work there and had last gone August 2019. In Jan/Feb we had a colleague there for a few weeks, and he left about 24 hours before the lockdown hit the city. At the same time, we had 5 Wuhanese nationals here (Australia) and they ended up stuck for a couple of months after that before they could get home.

It was absolutely surreal watching the huge city I’d visited so many times lock down in a way I’ve never before seen in my life. I remember seeing Han street mall completely devoid of people which never happens short of a storm. The roundabout outside my hotel, which is a 24/7 traffic jam, was empty.

But yeh due to the combination of a medical-professional-heavy family and having worked there I watched it unfold over Jan/Feb and it was absolutely loving surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The thing that got me was watching the CDC and Public Health England just uttlerly fall apart and fail completely. Before this if you'd asked me which countries were best poised to tackle a pandemic I would have put them both in the top 5 but lol we all know how that worked out.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Saros posted:

The thing that got me was watching the CDC and Public Health England just uttlerly fall apart and fail completely. Before this if you'd asked me which countries were best poised to tackle a pandemic I would have put them both in the top 5 but lol we all know how that worked out.

Right wing populism will do that to a country

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yo losing my sense of taste

what's the one healthiest thing i can eat over and over

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Alan Smithee posted:

The rich

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

might as well take advantage of the opportunity and eat nothing but lutefisk, hákarl, stinky tofu, and durian for the next three weeks

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Alan Smithee posted:

honestly peanut butter's a cheap source of protein and healthy fats, pop a multivitamin and make some sandwiches. best of luck goon

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Alan Smithee posted:

celery

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

zgrowler2 posted:

honestly peanut butter's a cheap source of protein and healthy fats, pop a multivitamin and make some sandwiches. best of luck goon

Eating a spoonful of peanut butter without being able to taste is a thing that will stay with me the rest of my life. Bananas also. I about threw up just thinking about it again. Luckily my smell and taste came back after 3 days or so.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

screech on the beach posted:

Eating a spoonful of peanut butter without being able to taste is a thing that will stay with me the rest of my life. Bananas also. I about threw up just thinking about it again. Luckily my smell and taste came back after 3 days or so.

Yeah, thats a pretty good recovery time for that symptom. Loss of taste/smell can linger for a long time for some people. The cdc specifically mentions it as a symptom that won't disqualify you for ending isolation if it doesn't get much better by the 10 days

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My mom is up from Texas for the holidays, she usually spends a week with my sister across the state then a week at my place; my other sister also comes up as well. Last night my mom let us know that she was getting a cold so we told her to go get a drat test. She of course hosed around, didn’t listen and didn’t get a rapid test scheduled since they are a couple of days out and went for a regular one.

She then calls this morning wondering if we could maybe arrange to get my other sister over here somehow. gently caress no, that’s not how it works. She was clearly unhappy with me telling her that not in so many words, but I don’t give a drat if she is up here for the holidays. We’ve avoided it so far and I’d like to keep it that way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Considering I’m going to a covid funeral the day after Christmas because of the negligence of certain family members, I’d say you made the right move.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If your mom had not informed you she was getting a cold, would you still have invited her and your sister to your place?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
One of my gf's part-time jobs ended on December 19. She was a baker at a popular restaurant next to a college campus. When it was announced that the restaurant was closing for good, people drove in from as far away as Nashville to the Chicago area for one last meal. They brought back a few ex-employees for extra help, including one person who had tested positive for COVID three weeks before showing up. He still had a lingering cough (duh). There were signs telling customers, only one person inside at a time. But what happened was dozens of impromptu reunions inside the store, with masks off. So, I'm isolating from my gf until she can tested. But she's on Medicaid and the local Immediate Care chain told her it is $200 for testing, and the grocery store pharmacy said they don't accept any (!) insurance plans.

So, I'll see her in time for New Year's. :capitalism:

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Today in Southern California chud news: my best friend’s brother-in-law’s Covid-positive and actively symptomatic sister+husband are spending time with their late 60s mother for Christmas, who is delighted for the opportunity to see her daughter. You can’t make this poo poo up.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
In terms of hindsight, I stand by what I emailed to my parents near the start of the year from near the source:

"As I understand the virus situation and the response to it in the UK, current measures will not be effective at limiting spread.

The latency period is longer than widely recognised, and asymptomatic / low-symptom infections are a real thing, meaning that spread is very likely.

Recommend you take a large pile of long-lasting food to your pleasantly isolated home.

____ and I have the luxury of knowing that, if infected, we are unlikely to suffer more than a super-bad flu because we're young.
For _____ and yourself... less-so."

naem
May 29, 2011

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My brother just texted me from my parent's because the whole family is coming over later and it would make my mom happy if we did a video call later. He clarified that they're "playing it safe" by asking everybody to wear masks. I think playing it safe would mean staying at home and doing a video call with mom to make her happy instead of go there and stay overnight but ask everyone to wear masks. :sigh:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Polio Vax Scene posted:

If your mom had not informed you she was getting a cold, would you still have invited her and your sister to your place?

That was the plan originally, yeah. I mean, I would rather my mom not come at all in general but I’m not the kind of person to keep her from seeing her grandkids.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The virus doesn't care what kind of person you or your mom are. This kind of bullshit is why we got the Thanksgiving spike, and is why we will get another one after Christmas.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
My parents are still planning on having my aunt/uncle/two cousins visit for Christmas. They said they'd be distancing in the house and wearing masks etc. but there will of course be a meal that will be mostly maskless. I'd rather them take feeble precautions than no precautions, so I'm not sure whether it's a good or bad idea to point out that their precautions are pretty much pointless if they're all going to be in a small confined-air environment together for like 4-6 hours, and that if anyone has it, everyone will probably get it.

The last time we discussed this over Skype, my mom teared up at the idea of not being able to exchange presents anywhere (the cousins live about 2 hours away), so I'm not sure anything Wifezwang or I say at this point will make a difference.

My parents are both nurses too and have managed to avoid the virus despite their county being a shitshow, so it seems it'd be extra sad and dumb for them to get it at this point, especially with a measure of safety somewhat in sight with the vaccines.

:sigh:

WaryWarren posted:

One of my gf's part-time jobs ended on December 19. She was a baker at a popular restaurant next to a college campus. When it was announced that the restaurant was closing for good, people drove in from as far away as Nashville to the Chicago area for one last meal. They brought back a few ex-employees for extra help, including one person who had tested positive for COVID three weeks before showing up. He still had a lingering cough (duh). There were signs telling customers, only one person inside at a time. But what happened was dozens of impromptu reunions inside the store, with masks off. So, I'm isolating from my gf until she can tested. But she's on Medicaid and the local Immediate Care chain told her it is $200 for testing, and the grocery store pharmacy said they don't accept any (!) insurance plans.

So, I'll see her in time for New Year's. :capitalism:
I'd be more worried about the impromptu maskless reunions than anything else. The person who tested positive three weeks ago likely isn't infectious anymore, but no guarantees there of course.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

My Mom's side of the family is incredibly irresponsible so I'm just dropping presents off and saying hi from the driveway (with an N95). She had my stepsister over last weekend unmasked and my stepsister has been doing tons of dumb poo poo like keeping her son in sports practices and going to friends' houses for sleepovers.

After that my mom and stepdad with a long history of health issues are going most likely unmasked to my stepdad's brother and sister in law's house who have also been incredibly irresponsible. Oh yeah and my stepdad's elderly parents who have a laundry list of major health issues live with them.

All of this is in Northern California which is under shelter in place part 2.

Even my supposedly intelligent and educated friends are doing dumb poo poo. My buddy called and asked if I wanted to meet up with his wife and two kids at an outdoor ice skating rink. He was pleasantly surprised they were open (most likely against county orders but no one cares.) He's taking his family on day trips all over the bay area every day this week and then having unmasked dinner on Christmas with both his and his wife's family.

American culture is a cancer.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The greatest part of all this is that most of these family members secretly hate each other, but are hooked on the idea of being a loving family performatively.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The incredibly annoying thing is that nothing ever happens to these people, they all seem to be doing well with their irresponsibility while others get infected because of some dumbass and suffer even though they took all precautions.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

devmd01 posted:

That was the plan originally, yeah. I mean, I would rather my mom not come at all in general but I’m not the kind of person to keep her from seeing her grandkids.

You're the loving reason this pandemic won't end.

You know what will stop your mother from seeing her grandkids? An intubation tube in the ICU.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't go to In 'n Out in Colorado.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/12/24/in-n-out-burger-covid-outbreaks-colorado/

quote:

In-N-Out Burger’s two newly opened Colorado restaurants each have active COVID-19 outbreaks with 80 staff members having tested positive for the virus between the two locations, according to state data.

They only opened recently and have stupid long lines every day.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

80? What the gently caress

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wasn’t that the location that had like a 10 hour wait in the drive thru? Goddamn are people stupid.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The one in the Springs was apparently over 12 hours wait on opening day.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I went to one near the airport in San Francisco last year and it was completely insane

Packed drive thru, packed inside

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's like the wests' version of chik-fil-a.

Well, Californias' chik-fil-a. Don't they put bible poo poo on their cups and wrappers too?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Is there a secret menu name for ordering your burger coronavirus style?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mad Cow Style

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
There's no In N Out anywhere that isn't jam packed at all times. And it's good, but it's not THAT good.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
they call it In n Out because the coronavirus goes IN your mouth and then your soul goes OUT your butt

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Crackbone posted:

You're the loving reason this pandemic won't end.

You know what will stop your mother from seeing her grandkids? An intubation tube in the ICU.

Don't you understand? These restrictions and recommendations are for people who are less [careful|smart|deserving] than me! I could never be so cruel to my [parent|child|partner] and besides it's [their|gods] decision.

It's just so loving .. presidential.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I went to one near the airport in San Francisco last year and it was completely insane

Packed drive thru, packed inside

i live like yards away from that specific in and out and never go for that reason

i just walked over there and theres a line right now at 2pm christmas eve

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's like the wests' version of chik-fil-a.

Well, Californias' chik-fil-a. Don't they put bible poo poo on their cups and wrappers too?

They donate a lot and aren't rear end in a top hat religious with solid salaries and such. They put numerical bible things in the inner corner of their cups but that's about it.

Other than being poo poo about covid they're on the nicer end of Christian which is a minority in usa.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the fundamental appeal of inandout is that its a 1950s dealio in every way except marginally less racist and sexist. good low prices, high quality on the stuff that isnt improved by modern food chem engineering (so fries suck but burgers and shakes are great), pays their peeps, oldfashioned (wasp) values etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
A few random vaccine questions I had. Forgive my ignorance if these are dumb questions, I'm not much of a science guy.

When they say the efficacy is 94 percent or whatever, is the 6 percent that don't get immunity because of a problem with the particular dose or something to do with their personal body chemistry? Like if you had the vaccine done, but didn't get immunity (also I assume the only way to know you didn't get immunity would be if you were infected after the 6 week mark?) would you potentially get immunity from being jabbed again? Or is there just roughly 6% of people that it won't work for at all?