Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Some people have just ok girlfriend, and some people have the kind of girlfriend who gets them the 1998 Japanese Laserdisc Box Set for The End of Evangelion for Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Some people have just ok girlfriend, and some people have the kind of girlfriend who gets them the 1998 Japanese Laserdisc Box Set for The End of Evangelion for Christmas

Nice!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i've been annoying fluffdaddy in the mod forum by pretending his new avatar is a spoiled character from the new Evangelion rebuild.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i've been annoying fluffdaddy in the mod forum by pretending his new avatar is a spoiled character from the new Evangelion rebuild.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
May i see it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SHISHKABOB posted:

May i see it.

Mmmmm....No.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ict3GCxGY

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That shot of fuckin' Mecha Gendo....

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was already on board anyway but hell yeah.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, that looks like the instrumentality moon from EoE

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

That shot of fuckin' Mecha Gendo....

Spear duel with Mecha Gendo piloting Unit 13 vs. Shinji piloting Unit 01

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MechaX posted:

Spear duel with Mecha Gendo piloting Unit 13 vs. Shinji piloting Unit 01

That feels too simple but also: oh my loving god

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If Gendo is in EVA-13, I'm guessing its either Fuyutski in there with him, or for the ultimate betrayal...Pen-Pen is the co-pilot. SQUAAAWWWWKKKKK.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Well, that looks like the instrumentality moon from EoE
It showed up in 3.0 too

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was absolutely not expecting 13 vs 01 Lance of Longinus duel in the middle of Tokyo-3 but in hindsight I probably should have been

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

That feels too simple but also: oh my loving god

it's one of those things that yeah, it's super simple and cliche, but it would also have me like "you know what, this actually is the perfect ending to Evangelion after all of these decades."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MechaX posted:

it's one of those things that yeah, it's super simple and cliche, but it would also have me like "you know what, this actually is the perfect ending to Evangelion after all of these decades."

The more I think about the more I think it actually might just work, too. Especially since....who else is Gendo gonna get to pilot it, anyway? Fuyutsuki? A pair of Rei clones? A fuckin' dummy plug?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

The more I think about the more I think it actually might just work, too. Especially since....who else is Gendo gonna get to pilot it, anyway? Fuyutsuki? A pair of Rei clones? A fuckin' dummy plug?

Gendo plus a Rei clone that he sucked Yui’s soul into since it’s not in Unit 01 anymore maybe?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

The only real answers I can even think of that aren't totally nuts twists are Rei Q, Rei from 1.11, 2.22, a Rei clone/Dummy Plug, or Kaworu suddenly alive. They could explain around the twin plug entry stuff but if not, Mecha-Gendo + Fuyutsuki/Dummy Rei could do it if not just Gendo himself. And with all the poo poo Gendo has done so far, I think it could work

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

At the climactic moment of their duel, Gendo forces Shinji to unite with him and reverse-engineer their way into reviving Yui... who promptly drops the biggest twist: she never was the soul powering Unit 01 in Rebuild’s canon, it’s original series Shinji (or something just as batshit)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yo that's sick as gently caress and I'm torn between Gendo using a Rei to pilot it, using his RoboKheel parts to be like "I hold two souls in my body" and solopiloting it, or just loving resurrecting Yui somehow

And maybe just for super gently caress you to everyone it's Yui in Gendo's body the whole time

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

couldnt he use adam as his other power source?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gendo is piloting with Gendo

LETS DO IT

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Julias posted:

Mmmmm....No.

leakin' the mod forum... i shuoldn't but... it's for a good cause!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
if you see Fluffdaddy posting on the forums, be sure to congratulate him on his new Evangelion avatar!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Specialized Extracurricular Evangelion Squad. At last it all falls into place.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I recognize everything but: who is that dressed appropriately for winter? Brown hair blue eyes?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man now but I really prefer my mech fights using traditional animation and I'm still not feeling the CGI Eva's.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it looks pretty good for CGI but yeah i prefer the look of the traditionally animated battles from the OG series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Midjack posted:

Gendo plus a Rei clone that he sucked Yui’s soul into since it’s not in Unit 01 anymore maybe?

Yui would never lol

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At this point when I see dubious looking anime CG, especially in a movie as big as this one, with the kind of lead-up time it has, I have to wonder if it's a stylistic choice. Unless the people at Arc System Works are actually wizards or something, it should be possible to make things look a bit less... egregious.

Alternately maybe it's just an unavaoidable downside of trying to retrofit the Eva designs, which are natively hand drawn, into CG. The CG in Promare, for instance, probably looks gorgeous because that's how it was conceived.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OnimaruXLR posted:

Unless the people at Arc System Works are actually wizards or something
ASW artists hand-tune the shaded 3D models frame by frame. So after the modelers go in and plot out how Goku's turtle wave should look, someone else goes in and makes sure it looks consistent.

Anyway, with Eva CGI I'm willing to bet it's adhering to a certain 'looks and might even be constrained by what they were doing with the Evas in Rebuild 1 and 2.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1342318800889327617

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Wow, those CG Eva shots, are...not good. And thats what you put in the trailer? Did they intentionally put in unfinished shots as some kind of ploy to drum up tweets before the release or something?

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 25, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

They have an English poster advertising a January 21st release next year? That's from the official website apparently. Could they be going for a worldwide digital release? Probably being dumb getting my hopes up but drat that would be nice.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

FilthyImp posted:

Anyway, with Eva CGI I'm willing to bet it's adhering to a certain 'looks and might even be constrained by what they were doing with the Evas in Rebuild 1 and 2.

I’m positive that’s the case. Having just re-watched them in the build up, the CGI looks exactly of the same quality as the others. Which is a good thing, inconsistency would look really bad if you take this is a a complete work.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

At this point when I see dubious looking anime CG, especially in a movie as big as this one, with the kind of lead-up time it has, I have to wonder if it's a stylistic choice. Unless the people at Arc System Works are actually wizards or something, it should be possible to make things look a bit less... egregious.

Alternately maybe it's just an unavaoidable downside of trying to retrofit the Eva designs, which are natively hand drawn, into CG. The CG in Promare, for instance, probably looks gorgeous because that's how it was conceived.

I think it’s an intentional choice, because imo the mechanical designs and action sequences have gotten weirder, floatier, and more toylike over time. Anno is akin to a small child playing with his action figures. The first 10 minute sequence of 3.0+1.0 that got screened last year really illustrates this point

e: I wonder how much khara’s transition to using blender for their 3dcg last year affected the production. From the press release it sounded like blender’s grease pencil tool was a big part of the reason they switched

fairlight fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 25, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

OnimaruXLR posted:

At this point when I see dubious looking anime CG, especially in a movie as big as this one, with the kind of lead-up time it has, I have to wonder if it's a stylistic choice.

If you think this qualifies as "dubious looking anime CG" then I'm curious as to what good CG would be.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

i was thinking about it a couple months ago and i think the closest point of reference I have for eva's bizarre 3dcg mecha designs is the transformation sequence from mawaru penguindrum.
https://vimeo.com/229823002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

If you think this qualifies as "dubious looking anime CG" then I'm curious as to what good CG would be.

Berserk 2016?