Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Cats (2019) was the last film I saw in 2019, the same day COVID was first identified in Wuhan. I am morally certain the two are connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I got super high a few months ago and watched CATS projected on the ceiling and it ruled and I wanted to die. Also when theaters inevitably never come back it will go down as the last movie I saw in theaters and I am fine with that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

josh04 posted:

Cats is still the last film I saw in a cinema.

Same lol. poo poo

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

josh04 posted:

I... it what?

Bit late, but it was this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tYcPuVYDHw&t=3s

TS Eliot was kind of a jerk actually! And that makes it pleasurable that Webber looked at it and saw just cats, and that Hooper looked at that and got... Cats (2019).

Meow.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1337430527557726208

A) Butthole cut is real
B) We'll be the judge of that

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

overmind2000 posted:

The last three films I saw in a theater were Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Cats, and Cats again. I should have taken the money spent on Star Wars and used it to see more Cats.

I didn't see Cats twice but I both wish I had and that I'd done the same with my TROS ticket money instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's been at least a year, hasn't it? And Skimbleshanks has stuck in my head over any Christmas music.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I meant to post on the anniversary, a year on Monday since I saw Cats (2019).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RC and Moon Pie posted:

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1337430527557726208

A) Butthole cut is real
B) We'll be the judge of that

Nice job trying to own the film of which you were by far the worst part, Corden

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
James Corden and Rebel Wilson kinda seem like jerks. Michael Caine knew how to be in a bad movie with style and grace.

I wish I could say that Cats was the last movie I saw before the pandemic, but it was the second-to-last and the honor goes to Brahms: The Boy 2, which is an okay consolation prize.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Corden is apparently pretty much a giant rear end in a top hat, so really every cut with him in it is the butthole cut.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Corden has a pretty bad rep. I'm not sure if Rebel Wilson has any problems BTS, it may just be that there's one character she can play and it doesn't really fit Jenny Anydots (who's supposed to be actually good at what she does.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

josh04 posted:

I meant to post on the anniversary, a year on Monday since I saw Cats (2019).

it literally was all downhill from there

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I've yet to see the movie but lurking in this thread and revisiting it over the year has been bringing me a bunch of joy. So thanks, CATS & thread, I suppose :tipshat:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hempuli posted:

I've yet to see the movie but lurking in this thread and revisiting it over the year has been bringing me a bunch of joy. So thanks, CATS & thread, I suppose :tipshat:

I haven't seen the movie and posted maybe twice before getting a gangtag. So thanks, CATS & thread, I suppose :tipshat:

Sweboys_NoxFox
Oct 23, 2013

Något Vedervärt.
Cats is the Rocky Horror of this generation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rocky Horror arguably succeeded at what it set out to do, mind.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If that goal was "show Tim Curry be absolutely loving fabulous" then yes, it did succeed admirably

Sweboys_NoxFox
Oct 23, 2013

Något Vedervärt.
The camp-cult aspect really took over me and my friend group. We smuggled in some beers to the theatre and laughed til we cried and had Cats-mania for probably 4 months, introducing it to whoever were around at campus, changing our messaging group name to "The Jellicle cats" and so on. It might be some sort of popular opinion contrarianism or just my appreciation for the avant-garde, but I really see the movie as an instant cult-classic. Which is also kinda contradictory due to my dislike of many of the actors and general disdain for pop culture. It's truly unique in a "mistranslated" musical to movie way.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sweboys_NoxFox posted:

Cats is the Rocky Horror of this generation.

I’m still skeptical about it having a midnight fan base and it certainly won’t surpass The Room in this regard.

I’d go though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Stunned bafflement seems pretty key to the Cats experience. I wonder if there's a way to lure in some first-time watchers for the benefit of the rest of the audience.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In this case, perhaps dragging along the highly skeptical and converting them to Skimbleshankism

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I haven't seen the movie and posted maybe twice before getting a gangtag. So thanks, CATS & thread, I suppose :tipshat:

I worked on this movie for 10 months, I feel like I should get a gang tag.

There is no butthole cut, the characters weren’t modeled with them. Sometimes the fur groom clumped up in render and ambient occlusion shadows would look suspicious though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sweboys_NoxFox posted:

The camp-cult aspect really took over me and my friend group. We smuggled in some beers to the theatre and laughed til we cried and had Cats-mania for probably 4 months, introducing it to whoever were around at campus, changing our messaging group name to "The Jellicle cats" and so on. It might be some sort of popular opinion contrarianism or just my appreciation for the avant-garde, but I really see the movie as an instant cult-classic. Which is also kinda contradictory due to my dislike of many of the actors and general disdain for pop culture. It's truly unique in a "mistranslated" musical to movie way.

The original material is already so completely ridiculous and twee with so many made up words it feels only partly in English as is. Add completely mishandled CGI with a production that's going for some level of surrealism but still can't decide on a tone and you have something that aggressively attacks the concept of sense.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah Corden has a pretty bad rep. I'm not sure if Rebel Wilson has any problems BTS, it may just be that there's one character she can play and it doesn't really fit Jenny Anydots (who's supposed to be actually good at what she does.)

The BTS part i learned was that her song is not a solo but a three person chorus and that makes so much more loving sense. Imagine if Skimbleshanks was a solo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ccs posted:

I worked on this movie for 10 months

do you still dream of CATS?

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Ccs posted:

I worked on this movie for 10 months

Was there any sense among the crew that what you were working on was going to turn out to be… how should I put it: strange? Alarming? Off-putting? An unintentionally Cronenburg-esque fever dream?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ccs posted:

There is no butthole cut, the characters weren’t modeled with them. Sometimes the fur groom clumped up in render and ambient occlusion shadows would look suspicious though

Why did the cockroaches have tits?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Ccs posted:

Get this poster a gang tag

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Lid posted:

The BTS part i learned was that her song is not a solo but a three person chorus and that makes so much more loving sense. Imagine if Skimbleshanks was a solo.

SO MUCH of Cats 2019 changes songs from third person to first person and it doesn't work at all!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hqGq-Kr9Hs

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Revisiting this thread has reminded me that long, long ago - April - I was going to attend an area university's production of CATS.

Obviously, that didn't happen and I am sad again.

My last film in a theater was also CATS. I have the ticket somewhere and want to think I saw it December 31st.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

I’m still skeptical about it having a midnight fan base and it certainly won’t surpass The Room in this regard.

I’d go though.

It was already building up steam with the midnight fan base during its initial run, I saw it towards the end of its run at a sold out late night showing full of drunken yahoos

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

steinrokkan posted:

Nice job trying to own the film of which you were by far the worst part, Corden

yeah james corden acting like he's too good for literally anything is rich

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Chicken Butt posted:

Was there any sense among the crew that what you were working on was going to turn out to be… how should I put it: strange? Alarming? Off-putting? An unintentionally Cronenburg-esque fever dream?

Oh yeah. The original cut of the trailer when the actors were in the "mocap" suits actually gave people chills because the actors were great and the song was good. But as soon as people saw the concept art when they joined the project there was a big "uh wtf" thing going on. And we figured it would look better once it was actually in 3d. And it did.... but it still looked super weird.

Part of that is that even though they did have some mocap suits on set, the data wasn't really useable. Everything was keyframe animation, with help getting the faces and wrists and ankles to match up through matchmove software. So the final animation is a strange hybrid of keyframe and matchmove's generated movement with some composited parts of the real actors showing through.

The cockroach designs were actually toned down a lot from the initial concept art. They were supposed to be a lot more sexual and the faces were supposed to be integrated a lot better but time ran out and there was so many of them than I think they just had to keyframe them and not even bother to matchmove the face area. They probably also didn't have time to do face rigs for them, whereas all the main character had full facial rigs so only the eyes and lips and teeth are from the filmed footage. All the cheek and nose movement is keyframe animation.

There was also a lot more piss jokes in the original cut. Some fx artists spent months doing fluid simulations of Jennyanydots pissing for a few shots. Then they eventually took those out in order to get the rating they wanted.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ccs posted:

There was also a lot more piss jokes in the original cut. Some fx artists spent months doing fluid simulations of Jennyanydots pissing for a few shots. Then they eventually took those out in order to get the rating they wanted.

Release the Piss Cut

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ccs posted:

Uh

Lmao

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So was there any like casual talk of "what in god's holy name are we bringing into this world?" or did everyone did just assume it'd work out for the best and the studio knew what it was doing?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

So was there any like casual talk of "what in god's holy name are we bringing into this world?" or did everyone did just assume it'd work out for the best and the studio knew what it was doing?

No, pretty much everyone was sure the movie wouldn't finish on time, and they only got it made by having a budgeted crew of 900 vfx artists scale up to 2100 vfx artists working out of Vancouver, Montreal, London, Adelaide, Mumbai, and Bangalore. Compositors were working from 9 am to 3am for months in order to finish the footage, and every other department was on mandatory 9 am to 10 pm shifts.

We all hoped it would be a surprise success because the studio pitched it as counter-programming to Star Wars. The idea was you couldn't bring you grandma on Christmas to see Star Wars, so all the families would go see Cats. But that wasn't very convincing. It was bad for Universal but it was a bigger problem for the vfx company, and everyone in management who bid on the show was fired.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ccs posted:

No, pretty much everyone was sure the movie wouldn't finish on time, and they only got it made by having a budgeted crew of 900 vfx artists scale up to 2100 vfx artists working out of Vancouver, Montreal, London, Adelaide, Mumbai, and Bangalore. Compositors were working from 9 am to 3am for months in order to finish the footage, and every other department was on mandatory 9 am to 10 pm shifts.

We all hoped it would be a surprise success because the studio pitched it as counter-programming to Star Wars. The idea was you couldn't bring you grandma on Christmas to see Star Wars, so all the families would go see Cats. But that wasn't very convincing. It was bad for Universal but it was a bigger problem for the vfx company, and everyone in management who bid on the show was fired.

jesus christ it's like this movie only gets more nightmarish the more you know about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Release the Piss Cut

Release the sexy cockroach and piss cut