Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’d be pleasantly surprised if it turns out better than mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Watch an episode before declaring it's the worst

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They better not write out Domon :mad:

I think you meant:

By my aged grandmother, they do better not be cutting Domon!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

RC Cola posted:

Watch an episode before declaring it's the worst

You must not be familiar with the internet

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

awesmoe posted:

That’s a super dumb reason to reject something, who cares if it’s telling a different story as long as that story is good

Yeah, yeah, I've had this discussion before. And everyone generally lands opposite of me on this, that the fine details aren't as important as general tone and plot and quality of production, so I can admit I am that guy and should just deal.

But goddamnit I don't want a different story, I want *thumps the spine of EoTW* this on *thumps television* this. There's a right way to do a book adaptation (The Expanse, Good Omens, the first four seasons of GoT) and a wrong way (Preacher, American Gods, the last four seasons of GoT). Adapting the source material to be watchable is acceptable. Adapting to put the showrunner's own unique twist on it is not acceptable. I want to watch the book on TV, not the showrunner's AU fanfic thereof.

I'll shut up about it now, because I know I'm about to get hit by a bunch of backlash because popular opinion says I'm wrong and dumb and have bad opinions. But what I've seen is telling me I'm not going to be pleasantly surprised by WoT the series.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I might be pleasantly surprised but the show but it's definitely falling down my list of "give a poo poo" the further they talk about "well we can't include large sections of the book because it's on tv" when I know plenty of cleverer showrunners somehow managed.

Like half the loving point of EotW is directly paralleling and subverting Tolkien's LotR in one novel. If the show can't manage to be held up next to LotR and compared, because half or more of the locations that you might want to compare are on the cutting room floor, that's going to be a substantially different tale.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the main issue in wanting exactly 100% what's in the books and nothing more and nothing less to be translated to screen is that there's stuff that honestly will not translate well and will actively make something worse as an overall experience for pretty much everyone involved

like i can honestly say that wheel of time has a chance to avoid a pitfall of game of thrones and just excise the lovely and dumb implied/actual sexual assault bits and nothing of value would be lost. i would say there's no point in giving much a poo poo until the show actually starts coming out, at which point we'll actually be in a position to judge things instead of doing preemptive 5d chess to determine the quality of a thing that doesn't exist yet.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

rndmnmbr posted:

Yeah, yeah, I've had this discussion before. And everyone generally lands opposite of me on this, that the fine details aren't as important as general tone and plot and quality of production, so I can admit I am that guy and should just deal.
I'm definitely with you on this point. Like, that Q&A tweet about Thom says as a minor point "Never fear, multi colored cloak is still in existence, but different than you imagine. Isis (our costume designer) nailed it." and my brain goes... but if it's different than how I imagine then how can it have been "nailed"? AND ALSO it's a patch-covered cloak not a multi-coloured cloak how can I even trust you at all now?

That's not to say that it will necessarily be bad, just that it's not what I want.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Thomdril and the Amazing Technicolor Gleecloak

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I hope they didn't mix it up with warder color-shifting cloaks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bruceski posted:

I hope they didn't mix it up with warder color-shifting cloaks

that kinda sounds like something Harriet would be able to nix easily enough

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If the episode title leaks are to be believed it sounds like they’re gonna go warp speed through books one and two. Doesn’t sound like they have much faith they can milk it for very long.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's unfortunate. I would have liked to see His Dark Materials style since there's so much to go through, but that's hardly surprising.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

rndmnmbr posted:

But goddamnit I don't want a different story, I want *thumps the spine of EoTW* this on *thumps television* this. There's a right way to do a book adaptation (The Expanse, Good Omens, the first four seasons of GoT) and a wrong way (Preacher, American Gods, the last four seasons of GoT). Adapting the source material to be watchable is acceptable. Adapting to put the showrunner's own unique twist on it is not acceptable. I want to watch the book on TV, not the showrunner's AU fanfic thereof.

I'll shut up about it now, because I know I'm about to get hit by a bunch of backlash because popular opinion says I'm wrong and dumb and have bad opinions. But what I've seen is telling me I'm not going to be pleasantly surprised by WoT the series.

i dont think there's anything dumb in wanting the books exactly, i would be pretty hype for that. but i think its dumb to reject a series without watching it just because it isnt the series exactly, because it might be good on its own merits

(i mean, spoiler, it's not gonna be good, but i'm talking hypothetically here)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Make Mat Bi and Rand NB

Slay your sacred cows

Let the Lord of Chaos rule

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

If the episode title leaks are to be believed it sounds like they’re gonna go warp speed through books one and two. Doesn’t sound like they have much faith they can milk it for very long.

I'm not saying I'm the guy for the job, but book one and two are obviously the first and second half of the first season of any tv script of this show that has any hope of getting to the end. 3 and 4, then 5, 6, and 7, 8-11 and 2 seasons on 12-end if you're lucky, 1 if you aren't. 5 seasons on the safe side is still pretty high expectations. Maybe 4+5.1 and 5.2.

There has to be a lot of cuts and consolidation to make this happen. I'm willing to await the product before passing judgement, though judgement will Aiel style.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

narg kills rand

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

narg kills rand

I have won again, Lews Therin.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

silvergoose posted:

loooooooooser

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

silvergoose posted:

They could legit make a spin-off show that is all the alternate realities from the Great Hunt, and it would be amazing. On reread, I was blown away by the quality of that book.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

if not a spin-off, then a full episode

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Make Mat Bi and Rand NB

Slay your sacred cows

:emptyquote:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nihilarian posted:

Make Mat Bi and Rand NB

Slay your sacred cows

Make Min a guy who dresses in drag

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

rndmnmbr posted:

I agree with this 100%.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

The Lord Bude posted:

I agree with this 100%.
:same:
At first my attitude was that I just wanted things to look and sound right, since there's such detailed descriptions of distinctive regional outfits and accents, and I have trouble sometimes actually parsing those descriptions into a coherent picture. I knew there'd be cuts and condensations in fitting the story to budgets of the screen. Over time, and especially as actual adaptation choices get revealed, I start to move into the full-text camp.

I mean a loving guitar.

The Glumslinger posted:

Make Min a guy who dresses in drag

Make Min a guy who doesn't dress in drag, which scandalizes everyone.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Oh fer gently caress's sake. This story is unfilmable without changes. It would take thousands of actors and like twenty years to do and would cost like 10 times the budget the show actually has. Compromises have to be made. There is literally no way around it. If a guitar is enough for you to declare it the worst thing ever, the Light help us when you see locations and characters merged or cut entirely. :rolleyes:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

buffalo all day posted:

I’d argue TGH is the most SF influenced - there are like 3 separate explorations of parallel worlds - the portal stone flickering, the entire interlude in the empty world, and the accepted tests that occur, which definitely is unusual in a fantasy book like this.

Fun fact, there's someone posting a bunch of excerpts from RJ's notes on Tumblr and, if they're to be believed, the original plan might have been even more alternate-dimensiony, in that the Dark One is literally just an evil wizard from another dimension that researchers in the Age of Legends got in contact with and accidentally let in.

(also, Thom's Guitar implies that Rand spends a book or so wandering around with a guitar case he never opens, like El loving Mariachi.)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Would it have been hard to keep it a harp or flute or some fantasy cliche instrument? It’s a weird decision to promote.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Occam's razor, I think it's more that they tried to work out how it would actually, physically sound to have this center-of-attention musical-performance character jump up on a table like a badass, colors flying, non-diegetic music crescendoing while everyone gasps in anticipation of his big rockin debut, and he starts playing a ... harp

Someone said "You know what, this is just gonna come off as fuckin ridiculous, give him a guitar at least"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m not sure they actually read the dorky rear end poems that were in the books cause those are super fantasy harp ballads.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

It's probably easier to have the dude pretend to play guitar than pretend to play a harp, especially if he has any familiarity with the instrument at all.

IDK, I'm not crazy about some of the changes but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at least until we see some actual footage.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thoms actor apparently plays guitar and sings already

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's probably easier to have the dude pretend to play guitar than pretend to play a harp, especially if he has any familiarity with the instrument at all.

IDK, I'm not crazy about some of the changes but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at least until we see some actual footage.

Imagine if they ruin Mat

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

RC Cola posted:

Imagine if they ruin Mat

Do not even suggest such a thing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It just seems like actor/harpists would be a lot harder to come by imo so I imagine practicality played a part

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

jng2058 posted:

Oh fer gently caress's sake. This story is unfilmable without changes. It would take thousands of actors and like twenty years to do and would cost like 10 times the budget the show actually has. Compromises have to be made. There is literally no way around it. If a guitar is enough for you to declare it the worst thing ever, the Light help us when you see locations and characters merged or cut entirely. :rolleyes:

I don't feel that strongly about it, really, I just want to offer support for goons who do because I get how they feel.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mat Cauthon posted:

Do not even suggest such a thing.

i feel like mat will probably be one of the safest characters when it comes to the transition to the screen, so, i wouldn't worry

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like mat will probably be one of the safest characters when it comes to the transition to the screen, so, i wouldn't worry

Hes gonna be a midget wisecracking horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It’s not that they changed the instrument; it’s that a guitar is an anachronistic instrument that is never once mentioned in the text. It doesn’t make sense in universe.

Also i feel it fundamentally changes the character if he randomly joins up later instead of being part of the initial group. That’s a far bigger change that they’ve made.