Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hopper posted:

The incredibly annoying thing is that nothing ever happens to these people, they all seem to be doing well with their irresponsibility while others get infected because of some dumbass and suffer even though they took all precautions.

That’s being in Hell for you. :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Crackbone posted:

You're the loving reason this pandemic won't end.

You know what will stop your mother from seeing her grandkids? An intubation tube in the ICU.

Nice job, take someone already obviously feeling guilty and powerless and just pile that guilt on them. Hope you're there to point and laugh at the funeral because that poster didn't lasso and hogtie their family to meet your standards of purity, which I'm certain are completely loving unimpeachable.

gently caress me the deniers are bad, but I almost prefer them to this holier-than-thou bullshit. Merry loving Christmas, your gift is the feeling of smug self-satisfaction I'm sure you got when you hit "Send" on this.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Found out Wednesday that a coworker last in Monday evening was exposed to a covid-positive individual over the weekend and will be taking care of said individual once they're discharged from hospital. This coworker was and is regularly unmasked and has been coughing on and off for weeks. Shift lead let them work the rest of their shift, says company policy is that they can't send anyone home for covid unless they're running a fever as determined by these laughable forehead scanners. Only thing keeping the exposed coworker out of office is their lack of give-a-poo poo and their side hustle paying enough to provide a safety net.

I'm working straight through the holidays Monday to Friday and I'm so, so, so tired of people acting like the pandemic stops at the door.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nice job, take someone already obviously feeling guilty and powerless and just pile that guilt on them. Hope you're there to point and laugh at the funeral because that poster didn't lasso and hogtie their family to meet your standards of purity, which I'm certain are completely loving unimpeachable.

gently caress me the deniers are bad, but I almost prefer them to this holier-than-thou bullshit. Merry loving Christmas, your gift is the feeling of smug self-satisfaction I'm sure you got when you hit "Send" on this.

The good news is that dude's mom doesn't have COVID. The bad need is she's got e. Coli from eating my rear end

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Pinche Rudo posted:

The good news is that dude's mom doesn't have COVID. The bad need is she's got e. Coli from eating my rear end

really heelin it up here, where's a tecnico when you need one

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
called my 88 year old grandpa yesterday and he doesn’t get all the hullabaloo around masks. “You know they’re wore em around WW1 too with the Spanish flu, I don’t get the fuss about not wearing them”

I wish I could have heard him say it IRL but, traveling to the absolute disaster that is Sweden to another disaster known as NY is legally permissible but absolutely loving idiotic. gently caress you, I’d like to see my family too after this garbage year. I loving miss my grandpa, but if I killed him through still to this minute legally allowable recklessness, you might as well bury me in the grave with him.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
My 93 year old grandmother passed away last november, after a massive stroke struck her, and after several years of slowly growing dementia.

Given what the home she was in was like back then, as I sat by her bedside on her final day, holding her hand, stroking her hair, with her completely unable to perceive our existence, as far as anyone could tell, while her roommate wandered in and out of her room, and other residents lined the hallways, complimenting me on my (fake) fur-collared coat and telling me "my dad is coming to take me away from this place today, you'll see" (said by someone in their mid-80s, at least)...

...it's been hard to ignore the creeping voice in my head this last year, telling me, maybe it was for the best. Especially given that home was hit hard by every wave of covid that have washed over our city thus far.

I loving hate that voice, and I hope your grandpa stays safe until you can safely see him again, tw.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EimiYoshikawa posted:

My 93 year old grandmother passed away last november, after a massive stroke struck her, and after several years of slowly growing dementia.

Given what the home she was in was like back then, as I sat by her bedside on her final day, holding her hand, stroking her hair, with her completely unable to perceive our existence, as far as anyone could tell, while her roommate wandered in and out of her room, and other residents lined the hallways, complimenting me on my (fake) fur-collared coat and telling me "my dad is coming to take me away from this place today, you'll see" (said by someone in their mid-80s, at least)...

...it's been hard to ignore the creeping voice in my head this last year, telling me, maybe it was for the best. Especially given that home was hit hard by every wave of covid that have washed over our city thus far.

I loving hate that voice, and I hope your grandpa stays safe until you can safely see him again, tw.

I lost my dad and mum in 2016 and 2017 (a year and 2 days apart). Both had COPD and various other health problems and from the very start of all this that voice in my head has been telling me that it's a blessing they went when they did. I couldn't keep them in the house even at the height of flu season. I'd have had to pack them off to my sister's house - safely out of range of their free bus passes - for the year and I'm certain it would have been catastrophic for their mental health, and as every winter was basically a massively-prolonged panic attack for me it wouldn't have done much for mine either.

What I'm saying is that - as guilty as those thoughts might make you feel - you're definitely not alone and shouldn't feel monstrous for thinking that way. You're not wishing your gran dead, you're just taking the one tiny silver lining of some really loving nasty clouds in your life.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

“Won’t somebody think about the feelings of the plague spreaders?”

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ugh my mom is too aggressive and won’t listen to me asking her to not expose my children

Great grandma. Should definitely be involved in the poster’s family’s life.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Crackbone posted:

“Won’t somebody think about the feelings of the plague spreaders?”

There are other ways to be critical. It's a hosed up year and every one of us wants to be with family and friends today. I hope nobody has to deal with the guilt of wondering where various exposures came from, but it's really loving hard to be strong right now.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

greazeball posted:

There are other ways to be critical. It's a hosed up year and every one of us wants to be with family and friends today. I hope nobody has to deal with the guilt of wondering where various exposures came from, but it's really loving hard to be strong right now.

Oh no, not something hard or inconvenient! Better just make selfish and irresponsible plans, against health guidelines, during a pandemic.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen?!

Pretty sure dying on a vent alone is much harder.

The death spike from this holiday is going to be something else, and that burden of needless death rests squarely on the shoulders of people who found it just "too hard" TO NOT KILL THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
My mother who lives on Facebook has quarantine fatigue and after months of being careful is going to a dog show and staying in a hotel etc in southern California in about 10 days.

I've tried everything I can to get through to her. I honestly wonder if she's starting to get dementia or something it's just so insane.

:( Stupid loving dogs. I know it's not the dog's fault by the way

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Teamviewer is a great free thing to install on parents/relatives computers, so you can remote in and set up video calls. I know it has been a godsend for calling my almost 85 year old dad.

I recently moved up to Canada to be with my boyfriend, and his mom is super excited to meet me. She also is sad that roni precludes this, and we are doing a video call with her and later with my dad for Christmas.

I quit my job in June because my manager and hospital was not taking roni seriously (and 2 weeks after I was gone someone was positive in that teeny office). My immune system is wacko so I have just been isolating. I tell myself this isn't forever and future me will thank past me for not loving around and finding out re: long term effects.

Please, a holiday season apart may seem like a big ask after this lovely year, but it's an investment in everyone's wellbeing.

I am so tired of treating myself like a loaded gun, but I also could not forgive myself if my actions ended someone else's life.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Blitter posted:

Oh no, not something hard or inconvenient! Better just make selfish and irresponsible plans, against health guidelines, during a pandemic.

The death spike from this holiday is going to be something else, and that burden of needless death rests squarely on the shoulders of people who found it just "too hard" TO NOT KILL THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS.

You're preaching to the choir man, but when you eventually crack and make a bad decision I'll be sure to scream in your face about what an idiot you are and not try and sympatise with you if that's what you want.

Pyrtanis posted:

Teamviewer is a great free thing to install on parents/relatives computers, so you can remote in and set up video calls. I know it has been a godsend for calling my almost 85 year old dad.

I recently moved up to Canada to be with my boyfriend, and his mom is super excited to meet me. She also is sad that roni precludes this, and we are doing a video call with her and later with my dad for Christmas.

I quit my job in June because my manager and hospital was not taking roni seriously (and 2 weeks after I was gone someone was positive in that teeny office). My immune system is wacko so I have just been isolating. I tell myself this isn't forever and future me will thank past me for not loving around and finding out re: long term effects.

Please, a holiday season apart may seem like a big ask after this lovely year, but it's an investment in everyone's wellbeing.

I am so tired of treating myself like a loaded gun, but I also could not forgive myself if my actions ended someone else's life.

Seriously I do agree with the stay at home sentiment, I'm staying at home and visiting family remotely today. https://gather.town is a kind of fun way to do a family Zoom call if you've got a lot of people and want to be able to have smaller conversations.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 25, 2020

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Spinz posted:

My mother who lives on Facebook has quarantine fatigue and after months of being careful is going to a dog show and staying in a hotel etc in southern California in about 10 days.

I've tried everything I can to get through to her. I honestly wonder if she's starting to get dementia or something it's just so insane.

:( Stupid loving dogs. I know it's not the dog's fault by the way

Is that dog show going on illegally? Because SoCal is under shelter in place and gatherings are not permitted

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pinche Rudo posted:

Is that dog show going on illegally? Because SoCal is under shelter in place and gatherings are not permitted

Maybe she's going to Washington DC for the 6th.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Pinche Rudo posted:

naw, it's cool. gov newsom is putting it on personally so it's no problem

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

greazeball posted:

You're preaching to the choir man, but when you eventually crack and make a bad decision I'll be sure to scream in your face about what an idiot you are and not try and sympatise with you if that's what you want.

Nah, I'm sure that this time the guy piling on someone about insufficient quarantine compliance is being 100% safe and isn't anything like the goon upthread who was dunking on someone about going golfing (possibly one of the least risky activities one could do during a pandemic) before eventually admitting that he himself was breaking quarantine occasionally to grab some fast food.

YOUR risky behavior is a goddamn travesty and is the reason we're still suffering through this pandemic! You should be ashamed.

MY risky behavior is a very occasional treat that is both a reward for isolating myself and a necessary break to protect my mental health. Obviously.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Blitter posted:

I think it rest squarely on the shoulders of a government that was hugely unprepared, actively hindered any preventive steps and measures, and managed to make a political issue out of a virus. Yes it's stupid to endanger your family for a little mental relief but goddamn it should have never come to this. Unfortunately this is life now.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Castaign posted:

Nah, I'm sure that this time the guy piling on someone about insufficient quarantine compliance is being 100% safe and isn't anything like the goon upthread who was dunking on someone about going golfing (possibly one of the least risky activities one could do during a pandemic) before eventually admitting that he himself was breaking quarantine occasionally to grab some fast food.

YOUR risky behavior is a goddamn travesty and is the reason we're still suffering through this pandemic! You should be ashamed.

MY risky behavior is a very occasional treat that is both a reward for isolating myself and a necessary break to protect my mental health. Obviously.
taking bets on how many infections this guy's caused, i'm thinking he probably did thanksgiving AND christmas so i'll put my money at 20ish

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Stunt_enby posted:

taking bets on how many infections this guy's caused, i'm thinking he probably did thanksgiving AND christmas so i'll put my money at 20ish

Me? I did a Zoom Friendsgiving and am at home for Christmas, alone except for my wife.

I did go to the grocery store for supplies for both holidays though (masked up, in and out as fast as possible), which was an admittedly small but definitely unnecessary risk.

The fact that I'm willing to take such small risks makes me disinclined to hammer on other people about what they're doing wrong.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Going to the shops for stuff isn't a risk on the same axis as having a family get together for the holidays. Ridiculous to feel you have to forgive the latter because you've done the former.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There's no excuse for coming over to your famil this season, you're a loving rear end in a top hat if you do. Stick to online or if you really must see each other in person do it in the goddamn yard with social distancing and masks in place or through a window.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

sassassin posted:

Going to the shops for stuff isn't a risk on the same axis as having a family get together for the holidays.

Yes it is, and that's my point. We could literally draw a graph with "risk" on one axis and "behaviors" on the other. "Going shopping" and "family get together" are on the same axis.

I don't agree with the dude having his mom visit, and like I said, I'm spending the holidays socially isolated. I'm not arguing for risky behavior, I'm noting that everyone (literally everyone) is engaging in some level of risk, and most people are happy to assume that their level of risk-taking just happens to be the cutoff for "acceptable."

I think that's dumb.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Castaign posted:

I did go to the grocery store for supplies for both holidays though (masked up, in and out as fast as possible), which was an admittedly small but definitely unnecessary risk.

can you subsist on sunlight or something

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Shopping for food is literally required to survival unless you hunt and gather potatoes, giving your aging mom a hug of death isn't.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Inept posted:

can you subsist on sunlight or something

I could just order non-perishable food from Amazon. There is literally no reason why I would absolutely have to set foot in a grocery store at all this year.

But I've made the determination that that level of risk is one I'm willing to take.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Castaign posted:

I could just order non-perishable food from Amazon. There is literally no reason why I would absolutely have to set foot in a grocery store at all this year.

But I've made the determination that that level of risk is one I'm willing to take.

that's just transferring the risk. visiting relatives is creating risk out of nothing.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Inept posted:

that's just transferring the risk. visiting relatives is creating risk out of nothing.

That's a reasonable point, if it's accurate. I don't think though that putting in one huge order to Amazon every month would actually expose as many different people to each other as me taking an in person trip to the grocery store.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That is some serious wibble wobble liberal centrist thinking. 'Don't be critical of bad things because everything is a little bit bad (if you squint), and it's far safer and requires less thought to just be polite instead and let people do their thing'.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

sassassin posted:

That is some serious wibble wobble liberal centrist thinking. 'Don't be critical of bad things because everything is a little bit bad (if you squint), and it's far safer and requires less thought to just be polite instead and let people do their thing'.

yes, precisely what I said, great job translating

I think you can be critical of bad things (I've already said that I don't think the poster in question should have mom visit) without being a raging rear end about it. I also think it is likely that the poster who was being a raging rear end has probably engaged in behaviors that make their current condemnation hypocritical.

Like the earlier poster who fumed about going golfing while also getting an occasional drive thru meal.

"wibble wobble liberal centrist." Get the gently caress out of here with that weak poo poo.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

sassassin posted:

This, a thousand times this. I don't know what reality distortion field people have equating masked grocery shopping vs. prolonged close proximity (almost surely maskless) indoor contact with a member of a vulnerable population.

Castaign posted:

I also think it is likely that the poster who was being a raging rear end has probably engaged in behaviors that make their current condemnation hypocritical.

Maybe you should extend your boundless compassion to me instead of coddling the person who 9 months into a pandemic thinks it's no big deal for Grandma to catch Covid.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 25, 2020

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

This is some decorum posting lol. Most people aren't able to survive without having to go out for groceries or work, we aren't all loving wfh computer touchers, but just about everyone can not go to parties and poo poo. This is 21st centuries, there's easy and virtually free methods of communication with your family so use them.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Castaign posted:

That's a reasonable point, if it's accurate. I don't think though that putting in one huge order to Amazon every month would actually expose as many different people to each other as me taking an in person trip to the grocery store.

Have you considered eating a healthy diet with fresh food instead of processed garbage you order off of amazon and then it wouldn't be as big of a risk for you to go to the grocery store?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Cacator posted:

Have you considered eating a healthy diet with fresh food instead of processed garbage you order off of amazon and then it wouldn't be as big of a risk for you to go to the grocery store?

???

Yeah man, that's one of the reasons why I opt to take the risk of going to the grocery store rather than ordering a bunch of processed garbage off of Amazon.

Crackbone posted:

This, a thousand times this. I don't know what reality distortion field people have equating masked grocery shopping vs. prolonged close proximity (almost surely maskless) indoor contact with a member of a vulnerable population.

Colonel Cancer posted:

This is some decorum posting lol. Most people aren't able to survive without having to go out for groceries or work, we aren't all loving wfh computer touchers, but just about everyone can not go to parties and poo poo. This is 21st centuries, there's easy and virtually free methods of communication with your family so use them.

My point isn't "it's okay to visit family" or even "you shouldn't put people on blast for doing risky, stupid poo poo." My point was "hey, one of the last times someone was screaming about another posters' risky behavior it turned out that they were doing something that was also pretty close to the same spot on the risky behavior axis. What are the chances that the current person doing the yelling is also a hypocritical jerk bag?"

Crackbone posted:

Maybe you should extend your boundless compassion to me instead of coddling the person who 9 months into a pandemic thinks it's no big deal for Grandma to catch Covid.

what

Castaign fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 25, 2020

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I haven't gone anywhere non-essential since march.

I can't see my spouse because I'm medically fragile and he's stationed 3000 miles away so he literally can't come home because he could kill me by bringing covid home. This is probably our nearly 13 year old great dane's last holiday season and, if people were responsible, maybe I could have seen my spouse this year and she could have seen him, too. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old.

I am so tired. I totally understand quarantine fatigue. I get it. The last time I had human contact was so long ago and I am running my tiny farm completely alone. Every time I go out I'm in danger because I'm in the 7th-worst infected state in the US, which is saying something. If I get sick, there is no one else to care for the farm, but people still insist on standing 3" behind me in line and coughing all over my shoulders.

I've started wearing a hoodie that gets wasted through the washer on the hottest cycle I have every time I come home from getting essentials.

If I can do it so can all of these idiots that are breaking quarantine. No pity. I hope they don't kill anybody. I don't care about their reasons. I don't care if granny doesn't get to see the grandkids this year for christmas. This is prolonging this poo poo and that's all it's doing.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yell at the hypocrites too, yelling isn't a limited resource :shrug:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Castaign posted:

???

Yeah man, that's one of the reasons why I opt to take the risk of going to the grocery store rather than ordering a bunch of processed garbage off of Amazon.

I was just flabbergasted that ordering all your sustenance off of Amazon is something anybody outside of doomsday peppers would ever consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yell at the hypocrites too, yelling isn't a limited resource :shrug:

My initial post was making fun of the possible hypocrite. I said nothing at all about it being okay for devmd01 to have his mom visit.