Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Castaign posted:

My point isn't "it's okay to visit family" or even "you shouldn't put people on blast for doing risky, stupid poo poo." My point was "hey, one of the last times someone was screaming about another posters' risky behavior it turned out that they were doing something that was also pretty close to the same spot on the risky behavior axis. What are the chances that the current person doing the yelling is also a hypocritical jerk bag?"

I wrote a long reply to this but to summarize: You don't know me and don't get to assume I'm a hypocrite to tone police me. gently caress off.

EDIT: I'm angry and tired because we didn't get to have a family Christmas since we're trying to do the right thing. I'm out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I am so tired. I totally understand quarantine fatigue. I get it. The last time I had human contact was so long ago and I am running my tiny farm completely alone. Every time I go out I'm in danger because I'm in the 7th-worst infected state in the US, which is saying something. If I get sick, there is no one else to care for the farm, but people still insist on standing 3" behind me in line and coughing all over my shoulders.
If I can do it so can all of these idiots that are breaking quarantine. No pity. I hope they don't kill anybody. I don't care about their reasons. I don't care if granny doesn't get to see the grandkids this year for christmas. This is prolonging this poo poo and that's all it's doing.

Why are people insisting on going into stores instead of using delivery and curbside pickup? You're going after other people for their treatment of the pandemic but still hanging out in indoor spaces with large groups of people.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Crackbone posted:

I wrote a long reply to this but to summarize: You don't know me and don't get to assume I'm a hypocrite to tone police me. gently caress off.

EDIT: I'm angry and tired because we didn't get to have a family Christmas since we're trying to do the right thing. I'm out.

Not actually trying to tone police, and it wasn't my intent to make you feel angry; I'm sorry you (and so many other people) are suffering.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why are people insisting on going into stores instead of using delivery and curbside pickup? You're going after other people for their treatment of the pandemic but still hanging out in indoor spaces with large groups of people.

I don't have the option for delivery but I do curbside when it's available. It's just not available in most places here. I get everything I need and run as fast as I can, wearing an n95 mask, glasses, and said hoodie.

Additionally, some of our curbside shoppers have been spotted maskless and coughing into bags so, welp.

E: I will say it's only happened twice, but the fact that it happened is nuts.

You're welcome to look at curbside pickup for Waynesboro, GA. There's 1 place. It's Tractor Supply. Augusta, GA is a little better: Kroger, TSC, Lowes, Home Depot, and some of the Walmarts.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Additionally, some of our curbside shoppers have been spotted maskless and coughing into bags so, welp.

jfc.

Yeah, okay, maybe I do tend to err too much on the side of "try to avoid frothing in rage." Maybe a bit more frothing is in order.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Thing is, with those options, while you are eliminating risk for yourself, someone is having to navigate the store or warehouse to get your order together for you and they are taking on that exposure risk instead.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Helith posted:

Thing is, with those options, while you are eliminating risk for yourself, someone is having to navigate the store or warehouse to get your order together for you and they are taking on that exposure risk instead.

Sure, but if 20 people order, one person goes through the warehouse for all of them. If they all go themselves, they'll all meet in the store, thus obviously increasing the risk of spreading the virus.

There's certainly an argument to be made about the role of underpaid warehouse and delivery workers in this whole situation, but it's not an argument about disease transmission.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Castaign posted:

My point was "hey, one of the last times someone was screaming about another posters' risky behavior it turned out that they were doing something that was also pretty close to the same spot on the risky behavior axis.
Those two things weren't even close either.
I get it but these are bad posts too.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Those two things weren't even close either.
I get it but these are bad posts too.

I guess that given the response I've garnered, I can't argue that my posts in this thread are anything other than terrible, but I still don't think golf is substantially higher risk than a drive through. They both seem pretty low risk to me.

TBF, I haven't golfed since a gym unit in middle school. If golf is now full contact, open mouth, then I'll definitely rescind that statement.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I tried curbside once and they got at least 25% of the order wrong, when I went in to check I found the stuff I asked for just fine and ended up taking longer when inside to swap out whatever they tried to get replacements of (I asked for regular steel cut oats and instead was given the instant packets full of microwave oatmeal). The produce that was picked out was like the week old poo poo they couldn't get rid of so no, curbside doesn't really solve the issue.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Stay at home and eat your neighbors after they succumb to covid. The virus can't survive cooking temperatures for too long, it can be beaten!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Am I correct in understanding that there is no evidence that the current US vaccine stops transmissibility? Does it stop you from getting covid or just prevent you from developing symptoms that can damage your body?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Am I correct in understanding that there is no evidence that the current US vaccine stops transmissibility? Does it stop you from getting covid or just prevent you from developing symptoms that can damage your body?

With the moderna vaccine, there's evidence that it prevents infection and transmission. But the effectiveness is under 70% for that aspect, much lower than the 90+% reduction in symptoms.
With Pfizer we don't have data one way or the other, but since the vaccines are similar this aspect should also be similar.

People who don't have symptoms are definitely less infectious than symptomatic people, but it's again unclear how big the difference really is (and what it would be if the person is not taking precautions because they're vaccinated).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sanctum posted:

Am I correct in understanding that there is no evidence that the current US vaccine stops transmissibility?
Yes, but only because testing for that is hard and time consuming.

Sanctum posted:

Does it stop you from getting covid or just prevent you from developing symptoms that can damage your body?
Symptoms are easy to self report, so they tracked symptomatic disease in the trials. Other things are harder, especially with our lovely testing infrastructure in the US. So while we don't have direct evidence of reduced transmission, and should be cautious because of that, it is expected to have a huge effect on transmission. Some unknown number of vaccinated people no doubt got asymptomatic cases, but with preexisting immunity it's likely any shedding would have been significantly less and for a shorter time. I think the most likely thing is that transmission will crater once we have significant vaccination which is how we'll know for sure.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

pidan posted:

With the moderna vaccine, there's evidence that it prevents infection and transmission. But the effectiveness is under 70% for that aspect, much lower than the 90+% reduction in symptoms.
With Pfizer we don't have data one way or the other, but since the vaccines are similar this aspect should also be similar.

People who don't have symptoms are definitely less infectious than symptomatic people, but it's again unclear how big the difference really is (and what it would be if the person is not taking precautions because they're vaccinated).

Do you have a link for the <70% figure? I haven't seen anything conclusive on either vaccine's impact on transmission.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I haven't gone anywhere non-essential since march.

I can't see my spouse because I'm medically fragile and he's stationed 3000 miles away so he literally can't come home because he could kill me by bringing covid home. This is probably our nearly 13 year old great dane's last holiday season and, if people were responsible, maybe I could have seen my spouse this year and she could have seen him, too. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old.

I am so tired. I totally understand quarantine fatigue. I get it. The last time I had human contact was so long ago and I am running my tiny farm completely alone. Every time I go out I'm in danger because I'm in the 7th-worst infected state in the US, which is saying something. If I get sick, there is no one else to care for the farm, but people still insist on standing 3" behind me in line and coughing all over my shoulders.

I've started wearing a hoodie that gets wasted through the washer on the hottest cycle I have every time I come home from getting essentials.

If I can do it so can all of these idiots that are breaking quarantine. No pity. I hope they don't kill anybody. I don't care about their reasons. I don't care if granny doesn't get to see the grandkids this year for christmas. This is prolonging this poo poo and that's all it's doing.

It's this. I hope you are holding up ok.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
feel free to destroy my bussy with facts and logic, but isn't it safer to do the shopping yourself instead of delivery? seems like in either case, you're adding 1 person to the store, and if that one person is you, you can guarantee they're using effective PPE and following sanitation protocol as opposed to someone who is probably using a standard-issue face diaper instead of proper respirator and also racks up contacts with others as part of their job

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Strep Vote posted:

It's this. I hope you are holding up ok.

My neighbors who were covid positive in november had 4 cars of people over. The neighbor on the other side is an elderly lady who cried when Trump lost. She only had three cars over. Her son, daughter in law, granddaughter, and grandson almost died to covid earlier this year.

It is mostly poo poo like this that gets to me versus the alone factor. I don't understand how people with crosses in their yards, who croon about going to church, care so little about the harm they are causing. Because down here in the south that's supposed to be a barometer for how decent a person is. It never has been, really, but the perception is there, you know?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Stunt_enby posted:

feel free to destroy my bussy with facts and logic, but isn't it safer to do the shopping yourself instead of delivery? seems like in either case, you're adding 1 person to the store, and if that one person is you, you can guarantee they're using effective PPE and following sanitation protocol as opposed to someone who is probably using a standard-issue face diaper instead of proper respirator and also racks up contacts with others as part of their job

Safer (or close to the same) for you personally, but in the aggregate delivery results in less people interacting with each other overall since a single delivery person will shop for and deliver to multiple clients.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Colonel Cancer posted:

Shopping for food is literally required to survival unless you hunt and gather potatoes, giving your aging mom a hug of death isn't.

wait, are we not supposed to buy groceries or get fast food? are people without access to no-contact delivery services supposed to just die of starvation or what?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

No Pants posted:

wait, are we not supposed to buy groceries or get fast food? are people without access to no-contact delivery services supposed to just die of starvation or what?

I made a dumb argument that hinged on the fact that going grocery shopping in person was not zero risk.

I have regrets.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I really only go in person because I want to pick out my produce myself, rather than trusting someone else to pick out good veggies/fruits.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Out of my rear end math:

Census bureau says 123 million households in the US.

Let's say the average instacart/amazon employee can deliver 10 houses a day, which makes 70 per week. This is being conservative.

123,000,000/70=1.8 million, rounding up

Not all of those would catch covid, but let's assume they did. They're probably also young and healthy, but let's ignore that as well. Going with the common assumption of 2% deaths that would be 36,000 dead.

Except it would be a lot fewer than that because I used worse case scenario.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Delivery fees are a goddamn poor tax. That's why I go to the store.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Pinche Rudo posted:

Is that dog show going on illegally? Because SoCal is under shelter in place and gatherings are not permitted

That's a really good question. It's in Chino on the 9th and I'm going to do some research, make some calls. IT'S BULL poo poo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No Pants posted:

You wear your N95/KN95 masks when you go to the store, and then keep minimum 3' (preferably 6') distance at all times

KN95 are expensive, but not that expensive, like $20/10, and you can reuse them they're just more like KN75 after four trips to the grocery store

My local hardware store had a pack of 10 niosh certified N95 masks for $100 pretty pricey but unless somebody coughs directly on your eyeballs you're not getting covid at the grocery store

Doing your grocery shopping 15 minutes before close is a good way to minimize exposure as well

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Spinz posted:

That's a really good question. It's in Chino on the 9th and I'm going to do some research, make some calls. IT'S BULL poo poo

Go with her, then immediately pull it fire alarm when you arrive

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It is mostly poo poo like this that gets to me versus the alone factor. I don't understand how people with crosses in their yards, who croon about going to church, care so little about the harm they are causing. Because down here in the south that's supposed to be a barometer for how decent a person is. It never has been, really, but the perception is there, you know?

A lot of modern American Christians are essentially Bizarro Jesus.

-hate the poor
-give money to the rich
-think of themselves before others
-hate anything or anyone that is different
-actively try to do harm
-worship idols/false profits

They in no way follow any of the teachings of Christ, and interpret the bible to suit their own wants and desires. Being a Christian in the US for most it seems means you can be a right rear end in a top hat and hide behind your Bible with a smug poo poo-eating grin.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I feel really lovely because I called my parents for Christmas and didn't realize it's the first time I've spoken to my mom since March when she got put on a ventilator (usually we just text). Anyways she sounded like Marge Simpson so I said oh do you have a cold or you just woke up or something and she said no that's her new voice since the ventilator. She's 57 and never smoked.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

It is fun to tell lovely Christians they're going to burn in hell though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here in Melbourne Australia we've gone 56 days without any community spread so I actually got to visit my family for Christmas. I had to catch public transport out there and everyone was still masked up and socially distancing as much as possible, it's just an accepted part of life here now. My brother hosed up the turkey but some of the outside bits were cooked through enough to eat.

There's been a bit of an outbreak up in Sydney and if there'd been any active spread here in Melbourne recently I would've dropped my Christmas plans in a second.

Spinz posted:

Keep us updated because I'm invested in the story now and want to see how it ends. :)

Hadlock posted:

Doing your grocery shopping 15 minutes before close is a good way to minimize exposure as well

From personal experience, there's also a higher incidence of anti-mask weirdoes who shop late at night so keep an eye out for that.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Around noonish but before 3 pm on a weekday seems to be a pretty good time to shop in my local store, the majority of people are still roughly on 9-5 schedule it seems

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of the Sydney outbreak ....

quote:

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard slammed a gathering of partygoers at a Sydney beach on Christmas Day.

Police were called to Bronte Beach late on Friday after around 100 people gathered for a Christmas party, breaching current public health orders.

Many in the crowd were believed to be British or Irish nationals wearing Santa hats.

"It is absolutely appalling to see what was clearly a group of people, a large gathering of people who didn't give a drat about the rest of Sydney," he said.

"That event, I am hoping, will not become a super-spreader event, but has every chance that it could be."

"It cannot go on. There is still a major risk for us with COVID, and my message to those people and people who know any of those people, is tell them to stop it, cut it out, or you may well end up with the virus itself."

A 25-year-old man has been issued with a court attendance notice, after the riot squad was called to disperse the Bronte Beach Christmas party.

Police say the man allegedly failed to comply with the move on orders.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-26/coronavirus-live-blog-december-26-nsw-avalon-cluster/13015246

I guess this means that yelling at people for taking dumb risks is now officially part of our recommended covid safety precautions. :v:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Castaign posted:

Do you have a link for the <70% figure? I haven't seen anything conclusive on either vaccine's impact on transmission.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1338872330538237955

They did a swab on everyone before giving the second dose, and the placebo group had three times as many positives as the vaccine group. Of course that's not very conclusive data, and they had only received one dose at the time, but it's the best data we have at the moment.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

pidan posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1338872330538237955

They did a swab on everyone before giving the second dose, and the placebo group had three times as many positives as the vaccine group. Of course that's not very conclusive data, and they had only received one dose at the time, but it's the best data we have at the moment.

TWIV guys claimed it doesn't look good enough to achieve herd immunity, even assuming perfect 100% vaccination rates :laugh: You think it's endemic now, you just wait til we're all vaccinated and back to spitting in each other's mouths down at the horsetracks. The infection rate is going to go plaid.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Cacator posted:

I was just flabbergasted that ordering all your sustenance off of Amazon is something anybody outside of doomsday peppers would ever consider.

You know Amazon owns Whole Foods, right? Like, you can get "normal" groceries from Amazon the same way you order from Instacart.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

You know Amazon owns Whole Foods, right? Like, you can get "normal" groceries from Amazon the same way you order from Instacart.

The whole derail (sub-thread?) started with "I guess I could theoretically order all my food from Amazon but I've determined it's worth the risk of exposure to not do that" and this guy Kramering in with "YUCK who would ever consider only eating food from Amazon" so it's seems like a stretch to imagine he has the level of reading comprehension to have picked up on this either

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Delta-Wye posted:

TWIV guys claimed it doesn't look good enough to achieve herd immunity, even assuming perfect 100% vaccination rates :laugh: You think it's endemic now, you just wait til we're all vaccinated and back to spitting in each other's mouths down at the horsetracks. The infection rate is going to go plaid.

how does this comment even remotely relate to that tweet

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

I just gotta point out, again, that not everybody has delivery like this. I don't have: grubhub, instacart, amazon fresh(? I think that's the amazon one?), doordash, or any of that stuff. The nearest whole foods for me is like 80 miles away. If you got'em you should use'em when you can though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Re: Vaccine Chat, I've seen some people on my fb talking about how they're waiting to get the Moderna vaccine, because they don't trust the Pfizer one to be kept cold enough.