Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

skylined! posted:

Is there such a thing as a taller than normal old work gang box, or anyone have any suggestion how to fix this?

I rewired a room today, lathe and plaster walls. All went fine but one of the outlet holes is too tall - the lathe board fell perfectly in the cutting area and it’s about a half inch too tall for the wings on the old work box to catch correctly.

If you're filling the old holes next to studs a properly grounded metal old work box screwed to the studs works something like this.

Or you can use something like this guy and get creative bending the ears.

Or patch the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Elviscat posted:

If you're filling the old holes next to studs a properly grounded metal old work box screwed to the studs works something like this.

Or you can use something like this guy and get creative bending the ears.

Or patch the wall.

Unfortunately the studs aren’t exactly evenly placed so I guesstimated on box hole placements and am not screwing to studs. Looks like I’ll have to patch or try making a brace glued to some of the lathe above and/or below. Patching some of the plaster today anyway, so will give it a shot..

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

skylined! posted:

Is there such a thing as a taller than normal old work gang box, or anyone have any suggestion how to fix this?

I rewired a room today, lathe and plaster walls. All went fine but one of the outlet holes is too tall - the lathe board fell perfectly in the cutting area and it’s about a half inch too tall for the wings on the old work box to catch correctly.

I have had this exact issue. I installed a shim above or below the opening and behind the existing lath to bring the height back. The shim should be at least two inches wide, and 2"-4" longer than the opening you are adjusting. It needs to be secure enough not to fall down into the wall, and to back plaster - the pressure of the box tabs will pin it in place.

After making sure my wiring in the wall will not be hit by drill or fastener, I fit a 2" or wider, 1/4" shim behind the existing lath, drill pilot holes and and screw straight through the plaster to catch the shim. On the stud-adjacent side, there are a few ways to secure it if you don't face-screw through the existing wall: pre-drill the shim at an angle to screw it to the near stud nad attach it there...or, you can nail or screw a cleat against the side of the stud, back-set far enough to account for the thickness of your shim, then set the shim into the slot you created & throw a couple of trim nails in to secure it. (If this method is used, the cleat will offset the box from the stud a bit, so the other end of of the box opening may need to be trimmed a bit to account for it).

The wings should move back far enough to account for the greater thickness (lath+shim, especially 1/4") to catch behind it. If not, get longer machine screws.

skylined! posted:

Unfortunately the studs aren’t exactly evenly placed so I guesstimated on box hole placements and am not screwing to studs. Looks like I’ll have to patch or try making a brace glued to some of the lathe above and/or below. Patching some of the plaster today anyway, so will give it a shot..

Yup.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 22, 2020

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Thanks y’all. I was able to make two shims and pull the box out enough. Then using some washers able to get the outlet flush enough with the wall.

LlamaTrauma
Jan 12, 2005

Well here I am
Drunk in Heaven
Kinda seems redundant
I found some water in the basement dripping down the corner masonry blocks during a recent heavy downpour. Headed outside to see if a downspout had popped loose or something, but didn't see anything obvious, so I started poking around and whoa... a hole in the house. Somehow in two years in this house we never notices this 3/4"-ish wide gap in the wall letting anything in: bugs? rats? obviously water.

I scrubbed it a bit and, since it's basically level with the exposed floor joists in the ceiling of our basement, pulled out the insulation on the inside that was now wet. My plan is just to slap some hydraulic cement in here. Anything else that I should do or is this an easy one? Nervous because, you know, water is bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
My dishwasher supply line is dripping, and I don't think I can safely tighten this any further. was I supposed to use teflon tape or something for this? I didn't think so. What else can I do?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LlamaTrauma posted:

I found some water in the basement dripping down the corner masonry blocks during a recent heavy downpour. Headed outside to see if a downspout had popped loose or something, but didn't see anything obvious, so I started poking around and whoa... a hole in the house. Somehow in two years in this house we never notices this 3/4"-ish wide gap in the wall letting anything in: bugs? rats? obviously water.

I scrubbed it a bit and, since it's basically level with the exposed floor joists in the ceiling of our basement, pulled out the insulation on the inside that was now wet. My plan is just to slap some hydraulic cement in here. Anything else that I should do or is this an easy one? Nervous because, you know, water is bad.

I would hit that with some great stuff foam and call it a day. That might not be the right thing, but it's what I would do. :v: Cement/mortar is probably more correct.

gvibes posted:

My dishwasher supply line is dripping, and I don't think I can safely tighten this any further. was I supposed to use teflon tape or something for this? I didn't think so. What else can I do?

Make sure that valve works and add several turns of teflon tape. I bet it stops leaking. Assuming you mean the hose fitting and not the valve itself. If it's the valve itself you need to find another shutoff and buy a rebuild kit, or if you're feelin super frisky and want to play with fire sweat on a quarter turn.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I also posted this in the HVAC thread, but:

I'm not sure this is the right thread, but my dishwasher sprung a leak, and now the space underneath my laminate kitchen floor is soaked. I was hoping for some recommendations for a dehumidifier to purchase to help dry it all out.

Also, the insulation in the basement ceiling underneath the kitchen is now pretty wet. Can a dehumidifier generally deal with that, too?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Make sure that valve works and add several turns of teflon tape. I bet it stops leaking. Assuming you mean the hose fitting and not the valve itself. If it's the valve itself you need to find another shutoff and buy a rebuild kit, or if you're feelin super frisky and want to play with fire sweat on a quarter turn.
Valve works, and no part of the valve itself seems wet, so I am pretty sure it is the fitting. I put on some teflon tape and will give it another try.

On a related note, I didn't realize until I replaced the dishwasher, but my dishwasher drain hose has a 7/8" internal diameter (Miele) but the sink has a 1/2" fitting, I think. The prior installation had it jury rigged with a piece of rubber tubing to make up the gap, so I continued that here, but I would like to do this right. Pic below:

Is this what I need? Do I just cut the bottom piece to the desired length to match the existing install?
https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-03-433...08767447&sr=8-1

Are the slip joints pretty easy?

e: I would normally not do any of this myself, but our dishwasher broke, and it was 2.5 weeks until they could deliver.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 24, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm not sure this is the right thread, but my dishwasher sprung a leak, and now the space underneath my laminate kitchen floor is soaked. I was hoping for some recommendations for a dehumidifier to purchase to help dry it all out.

Also, the insulation in the basement ceiling underneath the kitchen is now pretty wet. Can a dehumidifier generally deal with that, too?

You're totally hosed and probably need to replace a substantial amount of your subflooring and basement ceiling. Water damage is really bad.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Elviscat posted:

You're totally hosed and probably need to replace a substantial amount of your subflooring and basement ceiling. Water damage is really bad.

If I read the post right the floor joists are exposed and they pulled insulation out. Maybe they are lucky and rain only gets in during heavy rain with wind blowing it into that crack and the water damage isn't structural. Take pics OP, not every house should be set on fire :v:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Like I said in the other thread, if you want to diy it buy several high output blowers, remove any insulation and drywall that got wet, and blow air through there until it feels bone dry and then continue for another week or two.

But the suggestion you pay a professional is 100% the better option.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

If I read the post right the floor joists are exposed and they pulled insulation out. Maybe they are lucky and rain only gets in during heavy rain with wind blowing it into that crack and the water damage isn't structural. Take pics OP, not every house should be set on fire :v:

Leave my very nice and completely structurally sound house alone!

Also I read "insulation" as "drywall" because I'm an idiot.

I amend my previous post to "OP's subflooring is probably hosed, it might be able to be dried out from the basement, but consult a professional"

I'd just replace the insulation, it's cheap enough, and it gets really nasty when wet.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Quixzlizx posted:

Own? Or Renting?

If you own it: call your homeowners insurance. I handle approximately 10,000 claims just like this, every year. You will need a new floor. Insulation. Possibly some mitigation. Maybe even cabinets. Check & see what your deductible is first, so you're prepared.

If you rent: call your landlord.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

gvibes posted:

Valve works, and no part of the valve itself seems wet, so I am pretty sure it is the fitting. I put on some teflon tape and will give it another try.
Update - I was wrong, it is just leaking through the valve stem.

Those rebuild kits seem really easy from the youtube videos, but I think I am going to call someone. Because I think I need to shut off the water to whole house to replace it.
e:

gvibes posted:

On a related note, I didn't realize until I replaced the dishwasher, but my dishwasher drain hose has a 7/8" internal diameter (Miele) but the sink has a 1/2" fitting, I think. The prior installation had it jury rigged with a piece of rubber tubing to make up the gap, so I continued that here, but I would like to do this right. Pic below:

Is this what I need? Do I just cut the bottom piece to the desired length to match the existing install?
https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-03-433...08767447&sr=8-1

Are the slip joints pretty easy?

e: I would normally not do any of this myself, but our dishwasher broke, and it was 2.5 weeks until they could deliver.
This was really easy:

gvibes fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 24, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gvibes posted:

Update - I was wrong, it is just leaking through the valve stem.

Those rebuild kits seem really easy from the youtube videos, but I think I am going to call someone. Because I think I need to shut off the water to whole house to replace it.

Smart move. If you have someone coming already have them replace it with a quarter turn. It will take them twice as long but then you're not praying for it to work for the next 30 years.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

I would get some backer rod and use a polyurethane caulking. I love that stuff.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

TacoHavoc posted:

I would get some backer rod and use a polyurethane caulking. I love that stuff.

yes, who among us does not love the caulk

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I want to buy some pegboards for my tools, any brands you guys like? The steel Wall Control ones on Amazon seem popular.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Deviant posted:

yes, who among us does not love the caulk

Once you go polyurethane, you don't go back again.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Jenkl posted:

Once you go polyurethane, you don't go back again.

my ex wanted to be polyurethane, but I wasn't feeling it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Toebone posted:

I want to buy some pegboards for my tools, any brands you guys like? The steel Wall Control ones on Amazon seem popular.

Nope, pegboards suck. Pull up and save yourself while you still can.

A good chest or tool carrier is much better imho, especially for frequently used stuff. Instead of having to think about what I need for a fix or a project, or making multiple trips back and forth to the tool room for one more thing, I can just grab my tote and have what I need all in one place. Plus most pegboard hangers suck and will tip out at the slightest provocation

E: Honestly if you have to have vertical storage, a sheet of metal and magnets are a much better way to go. Hazard Fraught has some nice holders for screwdrivers and spray cans and shelves, I get far more use out of those on the sides of my cabinets than I do with the junk on my pegboard. Also, rare earth magnet hooks are cheap for multipacks on amazon, and will hold stupid amounts of weight, and are easy to reconfigure/pretty sturdy

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 25, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you get pegboard, go out of your way to get the 1/4 inch thick stuff. Most of the "pegboards suck bro" sentiments are from people who just buy what's in stock at the big box place which is almost always thinner and easier to break.

Obviously not applicable if you get metal or plastic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you want a wall of tools, IMO the way to go is to put up a sheet of plywood and then screw custom tool holders to it. You can usually make a tool holder pretty easily out of a scrap of wood and 5-10 minutes' work that will be nicer and more secure than those pegboard hooks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Both thick pegboard and bags. I have a bag each for electrical, plumbing & general carpentry.

Same with drills. DeWalt in a case; RIGID for the basement & back-up.

What's on the pegboard stays there for bench work unless it's some super-weird or specific job.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 25, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you want a wall of tools, IMO the way to go is to put up a sheet of plywood and then screw custom tool holders to it. You can usually make a tool holder pretty easily out of a scrap of wood and 5-10 minutes' work that will be nicer and more secure than those pegboard hooks.

Yeah this is what I’ve always done. New place so don’t have the proper workshop set up yet but love this method.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My mother is trying to reupholster some dining room chairs. They have a back cover made of curved 2mm chipboard that she probably can't reuse because the original fabric is glued to it, so she's looking for information on bending chipboard. Any ideas where I can find anything like that?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My parents were cooking something for Christmas and their electric oven triggered the circuit breaker after some time. Apparently it works fine in the grill mode, but everything else trips the circuit breaker eventually. This doesn't really make sense to me, isn't it more likely to actually turn off the heatering elements after reaching the temperature?

Apparently they had a look inisde and didn't find anything other than the very simple switch and two temperature sensors.

It's an ~10y.o. Ikea/Whirlpool model, the DÅTID OV8 as far as I can tell. Any ideas what to look for? I'll probably go check it out once the lockdown is eased a bit.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'd try changing out the breaker first. They can wear out or be defective.

Fire up the oven and go stand by your panel with your hand on the face of the oven breaker, and see if it's heating up before it trips. A little warmth is normal, but it may get hot and you may catch a whiff of hot plastic before it trips.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oooh that's a good idea, I'd never consider that as a possibility. I'll pass it along and/or try it myself once I can.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Forgot to add that the breaker may be OK but that the wiring bonds may be loose: check how tight the clamp screw is on the wire on both breakers. Worst case, you may have to pull the oven out and check the snugness of the wire clamps inside the 220V receptacle is well.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Hey.

My gf collects horror memorabilia. She got a big bus shelter ad for Christmas and we want to put it up behind our TV (basically the only place it will fit) with magnets. We are eyeing these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magcraf...roduct-overview

However, it will be behind my TV (about 1.5 ft away) and maybe a blu-ray player and/or a Playstation (the electronics float between the bedroom and the living room depending on what I want to play when). Will these magnets gently caress up my electronics?

Thanks!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Not likely, unless you have CRTs (big glass TVs that no one but hobbyists keep).

I wouldn't put a super strong magnet next to your stuff regardless, since a strong magnet could cause something to dislodge internally, but you're like 95% clear, as most modern electronics do not give a gently caress until you get to the 100s of lbs range.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Wasabi the J posted:

Not likely, unless you have CRTs (big glass TVs that no one but hobbyists keep).

I wouldn't put a super strong magnet next to your stuff regardless, since a strong magnet could cause something to dislodge internally, but you're like 95% clear, as most modern electronics do not give a gently caress until you get to the 100s of lbs range.

Word, thanks. I'm actually interested in getting a CRT once we move into a house for old games but that would be kept in a separate room anyway.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Then I would add to be careful; a strong magnet could magnetize something harmless, and that object could interfere with your CRT picture later, but it's not likely.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Good to know, thanks.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I’d be more concerned with the magnets chipping or breaking and those fragments falling into your electronics, but you should be good as long as you don’t over tighten them or let them slap together really hard if you have mating ones mounted on the sign.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Not my wheelhouse, but look into a scan converter or upscaler device and use your existing flat screen TV for retro gaming. Getting a CRT seems a bit excessive unless you’re posting in yospos.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kreeningsons posted:

I’d be more concerned with the magnets chipping or breaking and those fragments falling into your electronics, but you should be good as long as you don’t over tighten them or let them slap together really hard if you have mating ones mounted on the sign.

A big assortment of felt furniture feet is a useful addition to any DIYer.

They're great for applications like this: just cover the magnets on the wall with felt pad circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

yippee cahier posted:

Not my wheelhouse, but look into a scan converter or upscaler device and use your existing flat screen TV for retro gaming. Getting a CRT seems a bit excessive unless you’re posting in yospos.

How am I supposed to play duck hunt like that?