Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Sally posted:

wait do we have an idea of how many times this has looped? i mean, i assume it could be infinite... bit we're only seeing two loops, yeah?

1 Original series and EoE
2 Rebuilds

Though i suppose you can interpet EoE as the end of a different loop depending on how you read the last eps of the anime yah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueUeMFbGq9o

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh boy. welp. as long as we're all stuck indoors with nothing else to do...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I love that video lol

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

In every official publication regarding the series, the colons are included in the number abbreviations of the titles, and it's because they're not punctuation, they're musical instructions. So it's not 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.0+1.0, it's :1.0, :2.0, :3.0, and :3.0+1.0--ie: Repeat 1.0, Repeat 2.0, Repeat 3.0, and Repeat 3.0+1.0. The implication being we're seeing at least the second iteration of whatever timeline the Rebuild films are following, and the :‖ of the katakana title in musical terms basically means "repeat the last bar of notes, and THEN end the song."

So if the Rebuild films are iteration 2, then :3.0+1.0/:‖ is going to go back and repeat things a third time around, hopefully not loving everything up this time, and then finally reaching a real, definitive proper ending. So if it's restarting the story for a third time in a row, then you'd start it with, in terms of ye olde storytelling "Thrice upon a time..."

A colon on its own is not a repeat sign in musical notation. You need the line + bar in addition to the colon to indicate that, and often you need two of them anyways to indicate only a single section of a song is meant to be repeated at a given time.

The line + bar on its own is also the regular musical notation for the ending to a song, so if the colon in the title is just a colon, then a title like "Evangelion:‖" could just be a cheeky way to name a movie "End of Evangelion" again without directly using the name of the 1997 film while trolling people convinced of time loop theories.

I personally don't find such loop theories convincing myself. Most of the evidence just reads like allusions to the original NGE to me, and usually doesn't bother to take into account weird stuff the Rebuild movies actually add into the story like brainwashing technology that could also be used to explain some of the weirdness like Kaworu's cryptic references. Of course we can't begin to say anything for certain until a month from now when the final movie comes out.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 28, 2020

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Relin posted:

imagine if the plot actually conveyed this aside from like 1 line by kaworu
lol still voting relin after all these years

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I rewatched Alien Covenant tonight and I liked the scene where David the android teaches Walter the Android how to play and make music. I immediately thought of the piano scene in 3.33 though I'm not sure how similar they really were.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope we see a mini eva unit 01 burst out of a person and t pose

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My personal conviction is that Kaworu knows exactly what is going on and remembers everything that happened in the original series and I am probably a big enough dipshit freak to keep believing this even if 3.0+1.0 explicitly states otherwise and explains everything (it will not, so it's moot)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There's some sort of loop happening in Rebuild, seemingly potentially relating to the Adams and SEELE and Lilith, but it is not (so far) a loop with the original series as a 'previous timeline.' Of course, the fourth movie might go anywhere, but at this time there's no real proof that there's a meta series loop involving NGE and the Rebuilds instead of just a strange loop confined to the Rebuild timeline itself. I think the films are going back to some of the ideas in the original Evangelion design documents, such as there being a precursor civilization on Earth.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 28, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm taking it to mean the 1.0, 2.0 poo poo is counting Impacts and the 3.0+1.0 is Shinji manning up, becoming God and going gently caress THIS NOISE WE'RE DOING IT LIVE and the series resets to NGE as the final timeline

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

I'm taking it to mean the 1.0, 2.0 poo poo is counting Impacts and the 3.0+1.0 is Shinji manning up, becoming God and going gently caress THIS NOISE WE'RE DOING IT LIVE and the series resets to NGE as the final timeline

I really hope the last thing ever done for EVA period is a recording of Spike Spencer throwing a mic across the room and going "loving thing SUCKS!" and cut to credits.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
people are desperate to find further meaning when 25 years later anno is still just "we put it in because it looked cool"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

every time a nerd posts on the internet about eva is another loop in the timeline

poor kaworu

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I maintain that everyone that still believes that the final movie will confirm some pan-series continuity is going to be massively disappointed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

3.0+1.0: The Rise of Ikari

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shinjobi posted:

I hope we see a mini eva unit 01 burst out of a person and t pose

want to see pen pen piloting something, drat it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

3.0+1.0: The Rise of Ikari

“Who are you?”

“I’m Rei.”

“Rei who?”

“Rei Skywalker.”

WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY REDDIT

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Light Gun Man posted:

want to see pen pen piloting something, drat it
Is it ok that Misato is piloting PenPen since, you know, the Wünder...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gonna cum so hard my shorts plaster themselves to the TV if Anno decides to do another "Meanwhile in the Real World" live-action interlude but it's full of Eva merch.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Gonna cum so hard my shorts plaster themselves to the TV if Anno decides to do another "Meanwhile in the Real World" live-action interlude but it's full of Eva merch.

A white room full of EVA buckets, crates and canned bread. Cue Shinji scream.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Relin posted:

imagine if the plot actually conveyed this aside from like 1 line by kaworu

at least the ramiel fight redo was cool

Then people wouldn't get to have fun speculating.

Criticism is ok but not criticism that desires the subject stop being the subject. If you want really plain diaglog that just kinda ploddingly explains exactly what's happening why are you watching eva?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i welcome all criticism of eva no matter what

it's all canon!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Relin posted:

people are desperate to find further meaning when 25 years later anno is still just "we put it in because it looked cool"

25 years later and people are still misquoting anno (and for that matter mis-identifying who said what) to justify their anti-intellectualism

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I hope that Rebuild 4 has a strong and resonant character-based conclusion without any unnecessary exposition, like the original Eva.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

here's what Anno actually says about what Evangelion means:

http://www.cjas.org/~echen/articles/spring97/05_03b.html posted:

"Evangelion is like a puzzle, you know. Any person can see it and give his/her own answer. In other words, we're offering viewers to think by themselves, so that each person can imagine his/her own world. We will never offer the answers, even in the theatrical version. As for many Evangelion viewers, they may expect us to provide the 'all-about Eva' manuals, but there is no such thing. Don't expect to get answers by someone. Don't expect to be catered to all the time. We all have to find our own answers." -PA #43, translated by Miyako Graham from 11/96 Newtype

there's also one other interview you can find in English (from before the series even aired, so at least partly about what he hoped to make rather than a retrospective analysis) where he talks about it being about human connections and people's capacity to misunderstand each other, and a very vague statement about his intentions for the Rebuild series from 2007, which describes it in kind of existentialist terms of facing up to the horror of reality while still remaining optimistic

pretty much all the infamously dismissive quotes are from assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki or character design Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, and often quoted dead seriously by English-speaking fans when in context some of them are either a) guessing what Anno meant at the interviewer's prompting rather than directly expressing their own opinion and/or b) actively cracking jokes and loving with the interviewer rather than giving a straight answer

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 28, 2020

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

here's what Anno actually says about what Evangelion means:

there's also one other interview you can find in English (from before the series even aired, so at least partly about what he hoped to make rather than a retrospective analysis) where he talks about it being about human connections and people's capacity to misunderstand each other, and a very vague statement about his intentions for the Rebuild series from 2007, which describes it in kind of existentialist terms of facing up to the horror of reality while still remaining optimistic

pretty much all the infamously dismissive quotes are from assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki or character design Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, and often quoted dead seriously by English-speaking fans when in context some of them are either a) guessing what Anno meant at the interviewer's prompting rather than directly expressing their own opinion and/or b) actively cracking jokes and loving with the interviewer rather than giving a straight answer
it’s a show about cartoon robots and children who occasionally get naked to titillate an audience of children in 1996 who are all pushing 40 now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

it’s a show about cartoon robots and children who occasionally get naked to titillate an audience of children in 1996 who are all pushing 40 now.

:gb2gbs:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Since when is "finding meaning in the things we watch" something we need to mock anyways? Will the kids at school make fun of us if we like something too much? We're posting on the anime subforum of dead website Something Awful, it's too late for that!

If Anno had said what people claim he said, then all the worse for him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there's also one other interview you can find in English (from before the series even aired, so at least partly about what he hoped to make rather than a retrospective analysis) where he talks about it being about human connections and people's capacity to misunderstand each other
Wait so Eva may be about the thing it repeatedly, explicitly says it's about? Not sure I believe that one

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

but also the true ending is shinji getting a boyfriend and disowning his lovely dad

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Evangelion is about how Sega fans lost the console wars of the 90’s. Also what Tuxedo Catfish said but mostly the Sega thing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's only fitting that a show about overcoming the fear of connecting with others has found an audience of people who must overcome the fear of caring about things on the internet.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
:2007:

e: goddamn my man such a nub that nobody ever made a smilie for his reg year!!

T-man posted:

but also the true ending is shinji getting a boyfriend and disowning his lovely dad
“that’s the secret... Just Be Gay!”

*cue Utada Hikaru*

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

:2010:

:smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

:2007:

e: goddamn my man such a nub that nobody ever made a smilie for his reg year!!

*cue Utada Hikaru*

:regd07: is what you were looking for but you can still take your poo poo elsewhere.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Late to the new trailer. An observation:

Unit 13 has all four eyes lit up, meaning it has two pilots present. What allows it to use all four arms is still up in the air for me.

Mostly likely Kensuke and Toji, finally being relevant characters. They also look a bit older like they didn't start piloting and catch the curse until years later.

Toji with long hair and keeping the himbo attitude is gonna be :perfect:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ranzear posted:

Late to the new trailer. An observation:

Unit 13 has all four eyes lit up, meaning it has two pilots present. What allows it to use all four arms is still up in the air for me.

Mostly likely Kensuke and Toji, finally being relevant characters. They also look a bit older like they didn't start piloting and catch the curse until years later.

Toji with long hair and keeping the himbo attitude is gonna be :perfect:

Isn't that just Hyuuga and Aoba? The Bridge Boys?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

*cue Utada Hikaru*

Ian Fidance for Kaworu dub VA, telling Shinji about how dads are overrated.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

That was the initial thought, and very likely the trap assumption to be made, but Asuka was in 04, not Toji, so it all fits.

Aoba has distinctly brown hair, and Hyuuga has darker or black hair, opposite of these two and matching Kensuke and Toji instead.

Hyuuga and Aoba were on Wunder, and why would they be wearing the black NERV suits? There's no reason for non- first children to be in plug suits either.

But I could be dumb and wrong.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Ian Fidance for Kaworu dub VA, telling Shinji about how dads are overrated.
shining a flashlight into unit 13’s entry plug

Spiritus Nox posted:

between this and almost certainly Young Asuka this thread has a major case of Anime Face Blindness. whoever-is-gainax-now did chicken out by not making everybody as older as they should be tho

also i rewatched EoE for the first time in probably a decade last night and I totally forgot about this big dicked savage stunting all over Anno's Big Moment:

also i hope the dude in the earlier shot rocking the yellow north face parka and the bowl cut still has that sick jacket now that it's back in style.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 28, 2020