Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Like Suicide Squad, they should have given the final edit to the trailer company as the Blue Monday trailer was by far the best thing to come out this lovely movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
People saying he is based on trump are way off, imo.

He is an amalgamation of character archetypes. Slimy salesman, TV evangelist, excentric businessman etc. He was born poor and became obsessed with success and power. At the end he renounces total power for his son

This is not Trump

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 30, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

McSpanky posted:

This is the one time I wish they'd gone with the "magically undo the entire movie" plot device, even if it meant nobody learned a lesson or whatever. gently caress it, it was already a bizarre Wishmaster remake, go all the way.

Ah, the one saving grace of Sonic 2006.

Collapsing Farts posted:

People saying he is based on trump are way off, imo.

He is an amalgamation of character archetypes. Slimy salesman, TV evangelist, excentric businessman etc

That would be more of a Glorious Godfrey thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Necrothatcher posted:

Like Suicide Squad, they should have given the final edit to the trailer company as the Blue Monday trailer was by far the best thing to come out this lovely movie.

I still wonder if the theater-release version is going to have the actual soundtrack and the HBO Max version doesn't because it would've cost more.

It makes no sense to shell out cash for trailer music then not use it in the movie.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still wonder if the theater-release version is going to have the actual soundtrack and the HBO Max version doesn't because it would've cost more.

It makes no sense to shell out cash for trailer music then not use it in the movie.

I saw this in a theatre (in NZ) and nope, the music was a nonevent.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Necrothatcher posted:

I didn't feel like the son was a character at all tbh - more of a dewy eyed prop.

The son's line at the end of the film was so loving mawkish it hurt.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Taking some time to think of Lord as a plucky down-on-his-luck but well meaning oil executive.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/LK_Computer/status/1342849988875968514

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Superrodan posted:

EDIT: Thinking about it now, what if they had had Max take his son to visit his bedridden dad in a nursing home, to really get an idea of how broken that relationship was and to re-iterate with his son face to face why he wants to be a better father. Maybe trying to get his father to make a wish that he had been a better father or something and making the price that he died (because a dead man would have been a better father than what he got).

It would have been very hollywood, but at the very least it also would have given him more of a person to be. As it was, we got like four scenes of him visiting a throwaway setting/character and achieving more power and fame and wealth, but never seeing the motivation for why he yearned for it so much.

Yeah that would have given us too much sympathy for Max. Nah, lets just redo the same scene 4 times where Max just erupts emotions at a small child actor. Jenkins approach to creating drama is like a high schoolers attempt at drama, get 2 ppl in a room and as long as one person is crying its aces.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

I laughed when they first showed those kids.

Out in the middle of fricken nowhere in the desert and there just happens to be kids playing in the middle of the road.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I laughed when they first showed those kids.

Out in the middle of fricken nowhere in the desert and there just happens to be kids playing in the middle of the road.

It’s the opposite of having a whole huge section of Gotham be completely and conveniently abandoned.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I actually liked that they bothered to show the superHero going out of her way to save people (unlike, say, Superman fighting Zod while killing thousands of people).

It was just all so contrived, like others said. With a few adjustments it could have been fine

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I haven't seen this movie and I trust the goons saying it's bad but lassoing a missile is pretty cool

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

smug jeebus posted:

I haven't seen this movie and I trust the goons saying it's bad but lassoing a missile is pretty cool

It had some fun moments, and overall the lasso was cool but it wasn't enough.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
"Haha cool, another slow-mo Synder-esque action film I can turn my brain off and enjoy with a wicked 80's soundtrack!"

*film proceeds to have little action and no 80's songs*

"Haha cool, they cast Chabuddy G from People Do Nothing, can't wait to see what they do with him!"

*Asim Chaudhry has one line and is never seen again*

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I actually liked that they bothered to show the superHero going out of her way to save people (unlike, say, Superman fighting Zod while killing thousands of people).

It was just all so contrived, like others said. With a few adjustments it could have been fine

Not much you can do against an unstoppable engine of destruction that's better at fighting than you.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The trump analogue has been explained so many times only for people to keep coming in that its not trump because he would never love his son. We know dog. we know. Of course he wouldn't. But in the mind of the writers of this movie (Patty Jenkins/Geoff Johns) they posit the idea that maybe even a person like trump could have redemption. They're wrong, obviously, but that is what this movie presents.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

people probably find it hard to accept it's a trump analogue because it's easier to handwave the likeness as being entirely a coincidence than to grasp the fact that they actually released a movie in 2020 where the donald trump stand-in (who is never even hinted at being even a little bit racist btw) has a change of heart and finds redemption when someone goes "sir please have you considered the consequences of your actions? think of your family" at him.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Superman saves people in Man of Steel lol. The World Engine is responsible for most of the damage to Metropolis, which he also stops

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It would've come off better if WW did the same trick that Ares did to her, used the lasso to magically cram the truth down his gullet and basically force him to have a change of heart. After which he says, "Good thing you had that divine power to make me see the truth, otherwise"--he and Diana both turn and look straight into the camera--"you would have had no choice but to kill me for the good of the world." *slow nod*

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
She shoulda had her sword and cut him in half and bathed in his blood tbh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jimbot posted:

Not much you can do against an unstoppable engine of destruction that's better at fighting than you.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/432616623225049088

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Jimbot posted:

When I think about people who buckle under overwhelming odds, number one is Superman

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The trump analogue has been explained so many times only for people to keep coming in that its not trump because he would never love his son. We know dog. we know. Of course he wouldn't. But in the mind of the writers of this movie (Patty Jenkins/Geoff Johns) they posit the idea that maybe even a person like trump could have redemption. They're wrong, obviously, but that is what this movie presents.

I honestly just don't see Trump. Max is more Futurama boneitus guy than Trump. Other than Greed there's just no similarity. Like Trump is real loving dumb and would never in a million years come up with the idea to circumvent the wish rocks' draw back by making himself a genie. Like that's smarter than anything I've ever seen Trump come up with.

Like, is Max even shown as a pathological narcissist? He's mostly desperate and in over his head in the movie. Trump would refuse to acknowledge the stone was killing him because that'd be admitting it was the best idea ever.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 30, 2020

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Thundercracker posted:

I honestly just don't see Trump. Max is more Futurama boneitus guy than Trump. Other than Greed there's just no similarity. Like Trump is real loving dumb and would never in a million years come up with the idea to circumvent the wish rocks' draw back by making himself a genie. Like that's smarter than anything I've ever seen Trump come up with.

Uh he has blonde hair and wears a suit, hello??

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

He's a fake billionaire reality TV star who has a tacky golden office and brings the world to ruin by pandering to peoples baser instincts and making unrealisitic promises to them. He's an extremely dopey lib-brained take on Trump but he is absolutely a pastiche of him

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 30, 2020

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

multijoe posted:

He's a fake billionaire reality TV star who has a tacky golden office and brings the world to ruin by pandering to peoples baser instincts and making unrealisitic promises to them. He's an extremely dopey lib-brained on Trump but he is absolutely a pastiche of him

True. I guess I just mostly felt bad for Max throughout the movie. But that could just be Pedro Pascal's great acting

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

True. I guess I just mostly felt bad for Max throughout the movie. But that could just be Pedro Pascal's great acting

Yeah he was weirdly sympathetic, both from the script and Pascal's performance, his depiction kind of makes me think of the soft-touch nostalgia GWB gets treated with by alot of #Resistance people these days except in this case the film was made whilst he was still in office and not ten years later. Genuinely such a bizarre film, I'd really love to see an in-depth interview with Jenkins and find out what she thought she was going for

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

When I think about people who buckle under overwhelming odds, number one is Superman

I mean, breaking a world-destroying machine while weakened, flying to the other side of the world to fight and eventually defeat a fascist hell-bent on the annihilation of humanity who happens to be a superior fighter isn't exactly buckling under overwhelming odds. All this while like on day two of fully exploring his powers.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

A24 has a lot to answer for.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Sure, superheroes are known for not causing collateral damage or knocking their villains through buildings

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Golden Bee posted:

Superman isn’t a real person so it’s pretty weird that you think about him when you’re thinking about people. Are you 8?

multijoe posted:

He's a fake billionaire reality TV star who has a tacky golden office and brings the world to ruin by pandering to peoples baser instincts and making unrealisitic promises to them. He's an extremely dopey lib-brained take on Trump but he is absolutely a pastiche of him

He’s like Trump insofar as Trump is the living breathing id of 80s excess and self interest walking among us, but in the particulars he’s also a lot more like a Jim Bakker or Don Lapre than Trump, either then or now. People keep saying Lord is a reality TV star, but he’s not, he’s an infomercial huckster and lifestyle guru. People say that he’s Trump because he controls the President, but guys like Bakker and Swaggert and Falwell were the vanguard of the religious right and its takeover of conservative politics under Reagan.

I know it’s tempting to see everything through a Trump colored lens these days but Lord is a much broader pastiche than that and there are other influences that fit much better.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Thundercracker posted:

I honestly just don't see Trump. Max is more Futurama boneitus guy than Trump.

:hmmyes:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The weirdest thing about 80s excess is how we pretend that it ever ended

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Most empowering movie of 2020.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I watched the Blue Monday trailer again. It's better than the movie.

So bummed how disappointing this was for me :smith:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pospysyl posted:

A24 has a lot to answer for.

wait A24 made the trailer, aren't they busy producing good movies

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Polo-Rican posted:

This movie seems to be bombing by every conceivable metric, but at the same time I'm being spammed by news alerts about how the movie is such a success it "may have saved movie theaters" and how they're "fast tracking a sequel" after the "record setting release." I'm sure it's just the studios spinning streaming numbers into positive PR but it feels more detached from reality than usual (and that's saying something in 2020)

I have noticed a tremendous amount of massaging due to the lack of clarity at the covid box office. They did the same thing with Tenet. See, some analyst calculates that if all theaters were open, the movie would've made 110 million dollars.

BigglesSWE posted:

LoL, watch as the next WW movie will have a long set piece on the Great Wall, with big Chinese actors sprinkled through as extras.

By the way, Chinese audiences hate this poo poo.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Taking some time to think of Lord as a plucky down-on-his-luck but well meaning oil executive.

Lord's story was so confusing. Like, he had bought a bunch of land without oil at a discount, presumably so he could get someone to wish there was oil there so he could be an oil baron? Why? If you already know theres a magic wish rock out there (how did he know there was a magic wish rock!?) why bother with the oil scheme at all? Captain Planet villains had better thought out schemes. Nothing in the plotline required being an oil baron at all. It all just seemed like a shallow excuse to have Max be a real estate guy.

Maybe Max could have been a formerly successful oil baron whose empire was toppling and was so desperate that he blew his last million chasing a legend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Judakel posted:

I have noticed a tremendous amount of massaging due to the lack of clarity at the covid box office. They did the same thing with Tenet. See, some analyst calculates that if all theaters were open, the movie would've made 110 million dollars.

By the way, Chinese audiences hate this poo poo.

But the Chinese government likes it which is more important.