Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Agreed on the above. Respond to the "mandatory" inspection that you tested positive for "Covid".

Quotation marks for emphasis are one of my pet peeves and I don't understand where on earth the idea comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Cugel the Clever posted:

Agreed on the above. Respond to the "mandatory" inspection that you tested positive for "Covid".

Quotation marks for emphasis are one of my pet peeves and I don't understand where on earth the idea comes from.
”Tested” positive

It’s funny that they put the quotes around the most important word. Is it mandatory or not???

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cugel the Clever posted:

No need to bluff about the test.
Have anyone in your household been to a grocery store or gotten anything delivered?
If so, you have good reason to believe that you have been exposed to someone with COVID

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Wile E. Toyota posted:

A note I just received from my apartment complex.

Perhaps y'all could NOT walk through all 240 apartments full of people right now??? They do this poo poo randomly so they can look for infractions to charge people money for, so of course they won't cancel or reschedule this. I'm strongly considering calling and saying I've been exposed the day before, so they don't come through my apartment covered in germs.

Ask them to confirm their insurer has confirmed they will accept full civil liability for exposing to 240 homes, or will they be accepting the liabiity personally.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

”Tested” positive

It’s funny that they put the quotes around the most important word. Is it mandatory or not???

Tested positively*

*Toward the negative (be sure to put this in as small a font for a footnote as possible or mumble it over the phone.)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

wa27 posted:

I got the vaccine on 12/23 and was pretty heavily exposed on 12/27 and 28th to someone who has since tested positive. Currently quarantining with no symptoms yet. My understanding is that vaccine effectiveness isn't great until a couple weeks after, so I'm not very hopeful.

I would say about half of the staff at my work declined the vaccine. I think a lot of people are still in the "wait and see" mindset (as stupid as that is), as opposed to "never gonna take it". I don't really see much problem with that yet because the demand is still way higher than the supply. The real question will be if those people decide to change their mind months down the road.

The first shot sets the immune system up, and it starts to build up the response system and the second shot gives the newly built antigenes something to spar up with and develop the long-term resistance.

So between the shots its the normal COVID-19 "stay at home avoid everything" and after the second shot when the symptoms set down you are good to go. But you still need to wear the mask since the vaccine only protects you against the heavy symptoms, but it still allows you to spread the virus because it can exist, but just not do anything important.

So masks it is, until herd immunity is reached. In USA this will happen in 7 years, in rest of the world in about 1 year or so, if today's news items are to believed.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Zugzwang posted:

Quotation marks to indicate emphasis rather than skepticism is a weirdly common thing that seems pretty exclusive to folks who don't read anything beyond gas station and church signs.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

The first shot sets the immune system up, and it starts to build up the response system and the second shot gives the newly built antigenes something to spar up with and develop the long-term resistance.

So between the shots its the normal COVID-19 "stay at home avoid everything" and after the second shot when the symptoms set down you are good to go. But you still need to wear the mask since the vaccine only protects you against the heavy symptoms, but it still allows you to spread the virus because it can exist, but just not do anything important.

So masks it is, until herd immunity is reached. In USA this will happen in 7 years, in rest of the world in about 1 year or so, if today's news items are to believed.

Still got more people vaccinated that quite a few other places:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Update to the apartment inspection: They sent a mass text that reads, "Upcoming inspection is an investor inspection by a 3rd party. We do not know or control the day, time, or order in which buildings will be done. One of our staff members will accompany each of the 3 teams."

Now I'm afraid that if I try to tell them off, they'll say it's out of their control and they HAVE to come inside my apartment. Maybe I'll just take my cats and spend the night somewhere else for a couple days.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

bob dobbs is dead posted:

msa safety advantage 290 or just cover valve up

Thanks for the reply! I couldn't find the 290 outside of the manufacturer's site and 60$CAD is out of my price range when a comparable valved half-mask is 13~24$USD, so cover valve up it is. Opted for a 3M 6503QL half-mask respirator and a 4pk (2 set) of the 7093B P100 hardcase filters. The seal on many of my rotating Powecom KN95s is starting to go and I figured now's a good time to spring for something more durable.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Update to the apartment inspection: They sent a mass text that reads, "Upcoming inspection is an investor inspection by a 3rd party. We do not know or control the day, time, or order in which buildings will be done. One of our staff members will accompany each of the 3 teams."

Now I'm afraid that if I try to tell them off, they'll say it's out of their control and they HAVE to come inside my apartment. Maybe I'll just take my cats and spend the night somewhere else for a couple days.

"Hey just letting you know that we have been exposed to covid, please make the third party aware of it. our tests are pending"

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

When trump implemented a covid visa ban for professionals I lost out on a job in Michigan. That ban should end tonight. Does anyone know if it will/what has to happen for it to be extended? I can’t find a lot on line and it’s frustrating.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Munin posted:

Getting a head start because of the approval system does not mean that you actually win the race.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

A person who was my best friend during middle school is going down the anti-vaxx path. She's sharing those "Vaccine is made with dead aborted babiezsss!" bullshit. (she also reposts stuff about chakras and aliens) Geez. Never expected her to go like that.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Wile E. Toyota posted:

suit up with full face respirators and keep a hair dryer pointed at their faces at all times

covid is mainly fat and melts above 50°C

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

ill probably get a lot of poo poo for this but - many 'healthcare' professions pay dog poo poo level wages, and so they don't attract top level individuals.

especially anything that involves elder care, like nursing homes, are extremely tough jobs that combine all the terrible working conditions you can think of (24 hour staffing with crazy shifts, insane patients, insane management, threadbare staffing, the patients you do care about die, ect.) so the people that stay in those jobs are often people who have no other options. i know someone who stopped working at a nursing home by 'upgrading' to work at a prison, which they say is less traumatizing than the nursing home lol

As far as I can tell this is pretty true. My mom worked in a nursing home as an orderly (or whatever it's called when you don't have any formal degrees or training, but you're still helping out with the patients) for about ten years or so when I was little. She ended up quitting and going back to being a stripper because it was less stress for way more money and better hours. Also, not going to lie, I was a little jealous because she was making more money than I was at that point when I worked in an office at a job that required a drat degree. She was making 600$ a night on a good night which is just goddamn mom.

But it just goes to show you that even people who want to help out the elderly and the infirm just bounce after a while because the job just sucks. So you have to wonder about the people who stay there for extended periods of time.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

As far as I can tell this is pretty true. My mom worked in a nursing home as an orderly (or whatever it's called when you don't have any formal degrees or training, but you're still helping out with the patients) for about ten years or so when I was little. She ended up quitting and going back to being a stripper because it was less stress for way more money and better hours. Also, not going to lie, I was a little jealous because she was making more money than I was at that point when I worked in an office at a job that required a drat degree. She was making 600$ a night on a good night which is just goddamn mom.

But it just goes to show you that even people who want to help out the elderly and the infirm just bounce after a while because the job just sucks. So you have to wonder about the people who stay there for extended periods of time.

CNA? As a healthcare worker I can affirm that observation that in pretty much any setting nursing assistants and other "low" level workers absolutely bust rear end and do some real gritty, thankless work that the lazy loving worthless CEOs and facility managers wouldn't even be able to comprehend let alone do for even one single day. Amongst our healthcare system that is profoundly broken at every level, I work closely with nursing assistants and it's a personal pet peeve how badly they get treated. You regularly hear some pretty ugly sentiments from arrogant higher ups that think their titles and degrees genuinely make them superior to the workers whose backs the whole thing is built upon; Higher ups who as far as I'm concerned don't have any right being in an industry that ostensibly is about helping others.

It's just a fundamentally bad cycle that we all openly see and know. You either burn out or don't give a poo poo to begin with which is definitely what you want from people who hold other's lives and well being in their hands. In the end everyone's miserable because the boss wants you running at 120% productivity and the numbers they insist upon are utterly impossible and incompatible with the concept of "good quality care."

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Getting a head start because of the approval system does not mean that you actually win the race.

True.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

A person who was my best friend during middle school is going down the anti-vaxx path. She's sharing those "Vaccine is made with dead aborted babiezsss!" bullshit. (she also reposts stuff about chakras and aliens) Geez. Never expected her to go like that.

Literally the Pope said in a press release and in Twitter that you should take the vaccine and overlook the fact that it was based on stem cells because the mankind does not have any other means at hand right now. You'd have to be some weird cultish branch of any of the abrahamic faiths to use this as an excuse to not get it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Desperado Bones posted:

My best friend growing up started posting a weird mishmash of stuff, anti-gay things, anti-racist things, pushing syncretism between islam and christianity, stuff that didn't align with any normal axis other than 'extreme.' Turns out he got schizophrenia or maybe bipolar, dropped out of college and joined a black hebrew cult (he is white) who said he didn't need any treatment.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Der Kyhe posted:

the vaccine only protects you against the heavy symptoms, but it still allows you to spread the virus because it can exist, but just not do anything important.

Is this recent news? The last things I read stated that there is no evidence that the vaccine blocks transmission, not that there is evidence that it does not block transmission: https://www.businessinsider.com/who-says-no-evidence-coronavirus-vaccine-prevent-transmissions-2020-12

Obviously everyone should still mask up as long as this is unknown, but there is a big difference between "definitely prevents severe illness but effect on transmission unknown" and "definitely prevents severe illness, but definitely does not limit transmission."

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Der Kyhe posted:

you still need to wear the mask since the vaccine only protects you against the heavy symptoms, but it still allows you to spread the virus because it can exist, but just not do anything important

Castaign posted:

Is this recent news? The last things I read stated that there is no evidence that the vaccine blocks transmission, not that there is evidence that it does not block transmission: https://www.businessinsider.com/who-says-no-evidence-coronavirus-vaccine-prevent-transmissions-2020-12

Obviously everyone should still mask up as long as this is unknown, but there is a big difference between "definitely prevents severe illness but effect on transmission unknown" and "definitely prevents severe illness, but definitely does not limit transmission."

also very interested in whether more info has come out on this

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

That sucks, how goes the effort to educate her?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

My best friend growing up started posting a weird mishmash of stuff, anti-gay things, anti-racist things, pushing syncretism between islam and christianity, stuff that didn't align with any normal axis other than 'extreme.' Turns out he got schizophrenia or maybe bipolar, dropped out of college and joined a black hebrew cult (he is white) who said he didn't need any treatment.

drat.

My friend's mother was a military nurse, so I don't wanna believe she got the crazy ideas from that nice lady. But then again I discovered another friend went hardcore neoliberalist. Like they aren't shy about supporting privatization of everything.

We human beings are so dumb.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

That sucks, how goes the effort to educate her?

Sadly I just watch people go down the rabbit hole. For the time being I don't wanna mentally stress myself with someone that might or not react positively at criticism. ( I'm neurodivergent, bad social interactions even in internet hit me hard).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People waiting in the back of ambulances for 8 hours or getting shoved into beds in the gift shop are the lucky ones, it turns out.

https://twitter.com/Cbae62/status/1344141516294348801
https://twitter.com/BarfieldLaRue/status/1344526511932522498

I was promised that coronavirus would disappear like magic after the election in November, the gently caress is this poo poo?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Sadly I just watch people go down the rabbit hole. For the time being I don't wanna mentally stress myself with someone that might or not react positively at criticism. ( I'm neurodivergent, bad social interactions even in internet hit me hard).

I understand but please consider just dumping this person from your life, then

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Munin posted:

Der Kyhe posted:

America is absolutely going to lose that race because 40%+ of their population will refuse to take the vaccine and there's probably going to be tens of millions more who miss out for various other reasons. That's not even taking into account the number of people who'll take the first dose but miss out on the second dose.

E:
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1344648353397702657

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 1, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I understand but please consider just dumping this person from your life, then

We are not very close anymore, so don't worry. My current good friends are a bunch of feminist, pro-abortion, lgbtq+ ladies lol.

(someone posted a comic debunking antivaxx a minute after I posted, had to share, hope that by chance she reads it).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I live in Florida and I’m obsessed with the theme parks and it’s appalling the amount of people going to them.

I see all the crowds and it’s like we’re just all so loving stupid. Disney has been around since the 80s it’s not going anywhere people

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

vyst posted:

I live in Florida and I’m obsessed with the theme parks and it’s appalling the amount of people going to them.

I see all the crowds and it’s like we’re just all so loving stupid. Disney has been around since the 80s it’s not going anywhere people

even disneygoons aren't great about figuring this out. one keeps saying it's as safe as going to the grocery store here in T&T when I say it's bad.

but whew the sites like Dis and DFB are horrifying. I don't live in FL but I did travel agent work for a bit and I'd have quit if I'd have been told to encourage people to go travel this year. I know that isn't an option for everybody, but I just couldn't have. The theme parks should be closed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

quote:

West Virginia National Guard: 42 residents accidentally given Regeneron antibody treatment instead of COVID-19 vaccine

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WV News) — Forty-two people at a COVID-19 vaccination clinic hosted by staff at the Boone County Health Department received the Regeneron Antibody product instead of the Moderna vaccine.

That's according to the West Virginia National Guard, which issued a statement Thursday indicating the agency learned of the error Wednesday.

The WVNG release emphasized that medical experts with the Joint Interagency Task Force — which coordinates the state's vaccination efforts — do not believe there is any risk of harm to these 42 individuals.
https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/...38361d.amp.html

How the hell do you gently caress that up

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Especially since Regeneron is normally administered through an IV drip, not direct injection.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

When trump implemented a covid visa ban for professionals I lost out on a job in Michigan. That ban should end tonight. Does anyone know if it will/what has to happen for it to be extended? I can’t find a lot on line and it’s frustrating.

We've got a nephew in the states now and were trying to get him home for a visit this summer and nobody could give us a clear answer on whether he'd be let back into the country afterwards. We never got any kind of reply from ICE but Border Patrol actually picked up their phones. They said we literally don't know anything, like we just don't know so I doubt it's better now. Maybe try calling BP and see if they know when they might know something though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Milwaukee pharmacist who deliberately left hundreds of doses of vaccine out of the freezer to make them spoil has been arrested on felony charges.

quote:

Police in Grafton, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) north of Milwaukee, said the Advocate Aurora Health pharmacist was arrested on suspicion of reckless endangerment, adulterating a prescription drug and criminal damage to property, all felonies.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1344766948819791878

It turns out he took them out of the freezer overnight twice, and 57 people received shots that were probably useless.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is the opening salvo: peeps are gonna shoot up pharmacies, pharmacists doing this poo poo, peeps fuckin w distribution centers, peeps bein poo poo

peeps bein poo poo was basically 2020 in america, no reason to change in 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh cool.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1344824783679197184?s=20

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Also in California and Colorado, and in all three cases it was detected in people with no travel history which means it's already spreading through the community.

We've also detected it here in Australia but only in recently arrived travelers who were already in mandatory quarantine, so hopefully we stopped it from spreading.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

even disneygoons aren't great about figuring this out. one keeps saying it's as safe as going to the grocery store here in T&T when I say it's bad.

but whew the sites like Dis and DFB are horrifying. I don't live in FL but I did travel agent work for a bit and I'd have quit if I'd have been told to encourage people to go travel this year. I know that isn't an option for everybody, but I just couldn't have. The theme parks should be closed.

Yeah it's dumb. Even if safer/as safe as going to the grocery store the grocery store is a smidge more important in that you do need to eat to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Milwaukee pharmacist who deliberately left hundreds of doses of vaccine out of the freezer to make them spoil has been arrested on felony charges.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1344766948819791878

It turns out he took them out of the freezer overnight twice, and 57 people received shots that were probably useless.
How is it possible for a pharmacist to be this crazy wrt a medication?