Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

How exciting, I fell off NOAH between Final Burning in 2013 and the Cyberagent acquisition this year so definitely interested in a watchalong for the lost years, as well as reliving KentaFuji's rise and Kobashi's 2 year GHC reign. And Taue, never forget the underappreciated hero callously left off the GOAT Vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

imagine all the baby kenta matches :allears:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this looks fun

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1343846836935610368

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

J-Ro posted:

How do you do, fellow kids NOAH (and general puro) enthusiasts - this is for all of you that don't venture into the Wrestlehut Discord.

I am currently in the process of getting some stuff organized for a (most probably bi-weekly Sunday) NOAH watch-along - starting from their inception and making our collective way through their extensive back catalogue. The tentative start date is January 17th, and the place to be is our own PSP-TV.

Thank you for your attention.

This is cool. I will watch with you all.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It does. Do we know if this will be on Wrestle Universe?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

It does. Do we know if this will be on Wrestle Universe?

It will probably get uploaded eventually but it's live on SamuraiTV so if you check the RealHero Twitter in the 24 hours after it's done there's a good chance they'll upload it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I don't believe that past Shuffle Tag Tournaments have ended up on Universe so you'll want to find the Samurai uploads

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

cool, will keep an eye out.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I've skipped a couple DDT shows between nights 7 and 8 of the D-Ou GP because there's other stuff I want to see before the year ends but there's some great stuff from Dramatic DDT on the rookie Toi Kojima who debuted on the Finals. I'm just going to quote the blog direct

"In his post-match interview Kojima said he wants to be a cool wrestler just by standing, like Randy Orton. He was also nervous about today’s debut. Last night he received a message of encouragement from Satoshi Kojima which only made him even more nervous. Satoshi supports him because he always likes seeing another Kojima in wrestling."

Satoshi Kojima remains the best. Toi Kojima, welcome to bread club

Also, Yuji Hino in Damnation? Cool. At least this should mean more eyes on him.

Is there a consensus for best TAKA trainee?

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 31, 2020

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Is there a consensus for best TAKA trainee?

Current crop or all time?

All time it's probably one of Makoto Oishi, Kengo Mashimo or Yuji. Maybe Hi69 is up there too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Don't think I realised Oishi was a TAKA guy originally. Cool. And yes, I was wondering about all time.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Speaking of TAKA's best students, Hayato Tamura is leaving JTO.

https://twitter.com/JUST_TAP_OUT/status/1344498197100544001?s=19

I would not be surprised to see him show up in NJPW

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

it feels like his new school/fed is more explicitly set up as a training fed as with maika and apparently now him it seems like people graduate to bigger promotions more often than with k-dojo

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It is very explicitly a farm promotion. When he wrestled Tamura, TAKA cut a promo saying that he'd be beating Okada in NJPW in 5 years time and he'd be the biggest name in the business etc.

It seems like we're gonna get that closer to 5 months than 5 years but we'll see.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I was trying to figure out which wrestler I saw wrestle the most in person this year and was pretty shocked to see that Aja Kong made the top ten list. Guess she's sneakily been a workhorse this year.

(it was Rina Yamashita for anyone interested)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

NOAH have uploaded two of their recent shows (The Chronicle 4 and Final Chronicle) to Wrestle Universe with English commentary. I believe these are the same shows previously available with English commentary on Fite.

Commentary isn't bad. They're going for much more of a sports feel than usual pro wrestling commentary and their play by play man Stewart Fulton is I believe a commentator for Pancrase. However they haven't quite got the rhythm yet. It's very move-oriented coverage rather than going with the flow. I'm certain that will improve with time though, and for prople who have difficulties following with only Japanese commentary it's a big bonus.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Your not-as-busy-as-usual Puroresu show guide for the first week of 2021. Not necessarily that many shows but a lot of big stuff.

2/1/2021, Saturday

11:30am JST/1:30pm AEDT/2:30am GMT/9:30pm EST/6:30pm PST

All Japan New Years War 2021 Night 1
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Takao Omori, Black Menso~re, Osamu Nishimura & Ryuki Honda vs Yoshitatsu, Ryuji Hijikata, Chikara & Takayuki Ueki
Evolution (Hikaru Sato & Dan Tamura) vs Enfants Terribles (Koji Doi & Kuma Arashi)
Jake Lee, TAJIRI & Francesco Akira vs Enfants Terribles (Shotaro Ashino, Hokuto Omori & Yusuke Kodama)
Atsuki Aoyagi & Rising HAYATO vs Purple Haze (Izanagi & Shigehiro Irie)
Zeus vs Masato Tanaka
New Year Battle Royale
Koji Iwamoto & Ikuto Hidaka vs Astronauts (Fuminori Abe & Takuya Nomura)
All Japan Tag Team Titles: Violent Giants (Shuji Ishikawa & Suwama)(c) vs NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi)
Match Order TBC
Live on AJPW TV

12:30pm JST/2:30pm AEDT/3:30am GMT/10:30pm EST/7:30pm PST

FREEDOMS Happy New Freedom 2021
Shin-Kiba 1st RING, Tokyo
King of Freedom World Title #1 Contender Tournament Round 1: Tomoya Hirata vs Toshiyuki Sakuta
King of Freedom World Title #1 Contender Tournament Round 1: Daisuke Masaoka vs Kenji Fukimoto
Yuya Susumu, Kengo & Alejandro vs Brahman Shu, Brahman Kei & Tatsuhito Takaiwa
Takashi Sasaki, GENTARO & Dragon Libre vs Jun Kasai, Masashi Takeda & Rina Yamashita
Toru Sugiura & Kamui vs Mammoth Sasaki & Violento Jack
King of Freedom World Title #1 Contender Tournament Final
No air date at present but I'd assume NicoNico?

6:30pm JST/8:30pm AEDT/9:30am GMT/4:30am EST/1:30am PST

Big Japan 2021 New Year
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Tatsuhiko Yoshino & Kota Sekifuda vs Kazuki Hashimoto & Takaaki Sato
Ryuochi Kawakami & Kazumi Kikuta vs Takuya Nomura & Yuya Aoki
Abdullah Kobayashi, Ryota Hama & Arashi vs Daisuke Sekimoto, Daichi Hashimoto & Takuho Kato
Jaki Numazawa, Masaya Takahashi & Drew Parker vs Hideyoshi Kamitani, Kankurō Hoshino & Akira Hyodo
Ryuji Ito, Shunma Katsumata & Yuki Ishikawa vs Yuko Miyamoto, Masashi Takeda & Hideyoshi Kamitani
BJW World Strong Heavyweight Title: Yuji Okabayashi(c) vs Yasufumi Nakanoue
BJW World Deathmatch Heavyweight Title: Minoru Fujita(c) vs Takumi Tsukamoto
Airs on SamuraiTV, 14th January

Stardom New Years Stars
Shin-Kiba 1st RING, Tokyo
Himeka vs Lady C
Tam Nakano vs Gokigen ☆ vs Ruaka
STARS (Mayu Iwatani, Starlight Kid & Saya Iida) vs Queen's Quest (Momo Watanabe, AZM & Saya Kamitani)
Utami Hayashishita vs Unagi Sayaka
Donna Del Mondo (Giulia, Syuri, Maika & Natsupoi) vs Oedo Tai (Natsuko Tora, Saki Kashima, Konami & Bea Priestley)
Show presumably uploaded to Stardom World

3/1/2021, Sunday

10am JST/12pm AEDT/1am GMT/8pm EST/5pm PST

Gatoh Move ChocoPro 78
Ichigaya Chocolate Square, Tokyo
Card TBA
Live on Youtube

All Japan New Years War 2021 Night 1
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Takao Omori & Black Menso~re vs Purple Haze (Shigehiro Irie & UTAMARO)
Francesco Akira & X vs Ryuki Honda & Alejandro
Shuji Ishikawa, Hikaru Sato & Dan Tamura vs Jake Lee, Koji Iwamoto & TAJIRI
Kento Miyahara, Atsuki Aoyagi & Rising HAYATO vs Enfants Terribles (Shotaro Ashino, Kuma Arashi & Yusuke Kodama)
GAORA TV Title: Yoshitatsu(c) vs Jun Kasai
All Asia Tag Team TitlesPurple Haze (Zeus & Izanagi)(c) vs Enfants Terribles (Koji Doi & Hokuto Omori)
Triple Crown Title: Suwama(c) vs Yuma Aoyagi
Match Order TBC
Live on AJPW TV

DDT New Year's Gift Special!
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Antonio Honda vs Choun-Shiryu
Rest of Card announced on day of show.
Live on Wrestle Universe

Stardom New Year Stars
Shin-Kiba 1stRing, Tokyo
Lady C vs Maika vs Saki Kashima
COSMIC ANGELS (Tam Nakano & Unagi Sayaka) vs STARS (Ruaka & Saya Iida)
Queen's Quest (Utami Hayashishita, AZM & Saya Kamitani) vs STARS (Mayu Iwatani, Starlight Kid & Gokigen ☆)
Syuri vs Momo Watanabe
Donna Del Mondo (Giulia, Himeka & Natsupoi) vs Oedo Tai (Natsuko Tora, Konami & Bea Priestley)
Show presumably uploaded to Stardom World

Also shows from Ice Ribbon & Diana

4/1/2021, Monday

Tokyo Joshi Pro '21
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Suzume vs Arisu Endo
Marika Kobashi & Moka Miyamoto vs Pom Harajuku & Haruna Neko
Shoko Nakajima vs Hyper Misao
Aja Kong, Mizuki & Raku vs Miu Watanabe, Nao Kakuta & Mirai Maiumi
Sakisama & Mei Saint-Michel vs Hikari Noa & Sena Shiori
Miyu Yamashita vs Maki Itoh
Princess Tag Team Titles: Nodoka Tenma & Yuki Aino(c) vs Yuki Kamifuku & Mahiro Kiryu
Princess Of Princess Title: Yuka Sakazaki(c) vs Rika Tatsumi
Live on Wrestle Universe

5pm JST/7pm AEDT/8am GMT/3am EST/12am PST

New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1
Tokyo Dome, Tokyo
New Japan Rambo
El Phantasmo vs Hiromu Takahashi
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles: Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr)(c) vs GoD (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa)
IWGP US Heavyweight Briefcase: KENTA(h) vs Satoshi Kojima
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Great-O-Khan
Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay
IWGP Heavyweight & Intercontinetal Titles: Tetsuya Naito(c) vs Kota Ibushi
Live on NJPW World

Pro Wrestling NOAH New Sunrise 2021
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Card announced on the day
Live & free on ABEMA

Also BJW & Stardom shows

5/1/2021, Tuesday

5pm JST/7pm AEDT/8am GMT/3am EST/12am PST

New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 2
Tokyo Dome, Tokyo
STARS (AZM, Saya Kamitani & Utami Hayashishita) vs Donna Del Mondo (Himeka, Maika & Natsupoi)
Tam Nakano & Mayu Iwatani vs Donna Del Mondo (Giulia & Syuri)
KOPW 2021: Competitors TBA
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Titles: Suzukigun (El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)(c) vs Master Wato & Ryusuke Taguchi
NEVER Openweight Title: Shingo Takagi(c) vs Jeff Cobb
EVIL vs SANADA
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title: Taiji Ishimori(c) vs winner Hiromu/EL P
IWGP Heavyweight & Intercontinetal Titles: Winner Naito/Ibushi(c) vs Jay White
Live on NJPW World

6/1/2021, Wednesday

New Japan New Year Dash
Tokyo Dome City Hall, Tokyo
Card TBA
Live on NJPW World

Also Ice Ribbon

8/11/2021, Friday

8pm JST/10pm AEDT/12pm GMT/7am EST/4am PST

Gatoh Move ChocoPro 79
Ichigaya Chocolate Square, Tokyo
Card TBA
Live on Youtube

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The clip from the recent street wrestling show with Yuji Hino joining Damnation is rad. And then loving Bombing Katsumata into a swimming pool.

The other fun part of Hino being back in DDT is more goons can see his weird belly button

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 1, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

forkboy84 posted:

The other fun part of Hino being back in DDT is more goons can see his weird belly button

i watched the d-oh finals in a total brain fog cuz it was like 3 hours after brodie's death was announced and this is the only thing i remember about the show

just the weirdest goddamn navel situation

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Actually seeing this promo it is hilarious how much shade he threw at a group he was management for not that long ago. God drat Shuji and TAJIRI.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Old Man Akiyama knows he can't hang with Shun Skywalker and his deadly elbow and wisely does not invoke his wrath.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

At ZERO1 Masato Tanaka beat Hayato Tamura for the title like everyone expected but Tamura asked to join Revengers after the match so maybe he's signing with ZERO1?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

At ZERO1 Masato Tanaka beat Hayato Tamura for the title like everyone expected but Tamura asked to join Revengers after the match so maybe he's signing with ZERO1?

I think Tamura is just going to become a ZERO1 exclusive freelancer. Apparently they only really plan to keep Ohtani and Tanaka on contract and just bring in names on a per date agreement. Think this is actually a good move for Tamura, JTO is just a training school promotion and TAKA is going to have problems selling contracts to other males promotions unlike women to like STARDOM

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I think Tamura is just going to become a ZERO1 exclusive freelancer. Apparently they only really plan to keep Ohtani and Tanaka on contract and just bring in names on a per date agreement. Think this is actually a good move for Tamura, JTO is just a training school promotion and TAKA is going to have problems selling contracts to other males promotions unlike women to like STARDOM

I'd be surprised if NJPW don't come sniffing around for Tamura (and big tall Ren) sooner rather than later, and letting him mature in ZERO1, an ostensibly friendly promotion, is probably for the best for them. If someone told me Bushiroad weren't sending them some money to build him up I wouldn't be surprised

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'd be surprised if NJPW don't come sniffing around for Tamura (and big tall Ren) sooner rather than later, and letting him mature in ZERO1, an ostensibly friendly promotion, is probably for the best for them. If someone told me Bushiroad weren't sending them some money to build him up I wouldn't be surprised

I’d co-sign that. From whatever I’ve heard, they’ve nearly cut ties after his scandal Would I be surprised if BR kept him on retainer? Not at all. I just think it’s harder for the men because of that scandal so they’d go JTO to ZERO1 to NJPW (And I think that’s the only path for these students tbh. DG won’t look into TAKA students, AJPW can’t afford it, DDT/NOAH would rather have people in their own dojo it seems) rather a straight negotiated jump like Okada from Toryumon Mexico to NJPW.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

fwiw taka's still on the official new japan roster they keep otherwise updated quickly and accurately. i don't expect to ever see him on screen again in that company but given maika i don't think bushiroad would have an issue signing one of his students to new japan. the guy who got hosed out of a new japan gig by the scandal was ayato yoshida and he went with 2aw after the split..

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

To explain my thinking further of ZERO1 being a friendly promotion to "launder" JTO guys through, look at who NJPW guys worked with on cross promotional stuff in 2019. It was almost always ZERO1 guys, and Otani and Takaiwa were on the WK card last year. I don't think it's necessarily a TAKA being toxic thing either (just look at Maika as already pointed out). Someone like Tamura doing a year or two in ZERO1 with a title reign means they can put him straight onto the main roster without having to make him go through a young lion stint like Okada had to or Yoshida was shaping up to without upsetting the apple cart too much in terms of upsetting guys who went through the system.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Do you ever watch Big Japan and think that when he dies the skin of Abdullah Kobayashi could be removed and used as sandpaper? Because it does have that texture to it.

Oh yeah, reminder the first All Japan show of the year, hopefully featuring the end of Violent Giants, is on in 3.5 hours. I nearly forgot and was setting my alarm for 9am.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 2, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/puroresueikaiwa/status/1345197128302301184?s=19

Good news everyone, TAJIRI has signed with All Japan. Which will make a huge difference to him being on every show as a freelancer I'm sure.

Also he is bad.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've been on the fence with signing up for AJPW.tv, but since you guys keep posting about their bad booking decisions here I've always held off on it. That and well I haven't even maximized the DDT part of my Wrestle Universe sub.

Maybe I could try for one month... I guess?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I've been on the fence with signing up for AJPW.tv, but since you guys keep posting about their bad booking decisions here I've always held off on it. That and well I haven't even maximized the DDT part of my Wrestle Universe sub.

Maybe I could try for one month... I guess?

The thing with All Japan is they have a handful of guys who loving rule but there's little depth. When all the bits are in place it can be rad but undercards can also be a slog when what you want is to watch Kento. But when it's good it can be great (see the 2020 Champion Carnival final between Miyahara and Zeus for example) so I stick with it. But I think in 2021 I'll be mostly watching the big shows rather than eagerly watching every Excite Series show from some B town even if they were only available as VOD as opposed to live.

Only so many matches with Rikidozan's grandson you can handle.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

forkboy84 posted:

DDT New Year's Gift Special!

Tokyo Joshi Pro '21

Pro Wrestling NOAH New Sunrise 2021

Good thing I don't have anything planned on Monday, cause this is gonna ruin my sleep schedule competely.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well, 2021 All Japan is off to a flyer because The Bodyguard returned for the Battle Royale and sang his entrance. (Also the Enfants 6 man tag was a real fun short match and the main event I've not seen yet but has gotten good reviews. And the Battle Royale is nonsense fun with some very enjoyable spots)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Well, 2021 All Japan is off to a flyer because The Bodyguard returned for the Battle Royale and sang his entrance. (Also the Enfants 6 man tag was a real fun short match and the main event I've not seen yet but has gotten good reviews. And the Battle Royale is nonsense fun with some very enjoyable spots)

i fell asleep early after the battle royal but well worth tuning in just for the entrance

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Thauros posted:

i fell asleep early after the battle royal but well worth tuning in just for the entrance

Yeah, I bailed at that point and am just catching up now.

Gotta say that Astronauts vs Hidaka and Iwamoto loving slaps. Tanaka vs Zeus is a level below but still good.

Won't be shocked if Takuya Nomura gets into my top 10 faves whenever we do that poll again, because dude rules. If he keeps getting used outside BJW and if Big Japan actually push him like they should it'll be great. More Astronauts in All Japan.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 3, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I am such a dumb loving mark because after that show I feel ready to believe in All Japan again. But drat it was a joy. Ready for Night 2 baby!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yoshitatsu vs Jun Kasai is apparently a TLC match? Weird.

Ref looked like they were going to fall trying to hang up the title. Anyway, they didn't so let's go Jun.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

All Japan have gone and put together some real good prematch videos for this Triple Crown match, looking slick.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Stayed up until 5:20am to watch All Japan & it was the right choice. Best match in Suwama's reign since the initial win over Kento last March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Anyone awake for the DDT show this morning? Someone (comedian Nabe Yakan) just shot Sanshiro Takagi with an airsoft pistol and challenged him to a title match.