Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Actually you now got me thinking about this.

The final fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin in ROTS is unique in that Obi-Wan really wants to talk his friend down. He's been commanded to go there, against his wishes, and he- like Luke later- is holding out hope that he can turn Anakin back. He wants to win the argument. It's like arguing with a fascist online. You can't. Obi-Wan can literally dismember his opponent, it doesn't matter. Anakin won't give up.

Like one question asked about this scene is why Obi-Wan won't kill Anakin. It's clearly a failure he regrets later, hence in Return of the Jedi he's convinced Anakin can't be turned, he has to be destroyed. But the reason Obi-Wan won't kill Anakin there is he didn't come here to do that. He never wanted to, he was never prepared for that.

So yeah, that scene emphasizes just the tragedy of someone giving in to the worst side of themselves and they can't turn away even when it's actively killing them. Losing doesn't make you reconsider your beliefs. It's not enough.

Firstly, I think it's made clear that Obi-Wan goes there explicitly to kill Anakin. Secondly, I don't think Obi-Wan is failing to kill him- I think when he walked away he had every reasonable assumption that Anakin was going to die there on the shore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

Firstly, I think it's made clear that Obi-Wan goes there explicitly to kill Anakin. Secondly, I don't think Obi-Wan is failing to kill him- I think when he walked away he had every reasonable assumption that Anakin was going to die there on the shore.

I mean, yeah, he's sent to do it. But he doesn't want to. He still keeps trying to argue with him, trying to *persuade* him. And at the end, he just shouts in frustration, you were supposed to be better than this.

He doesn't do a mercy kill, he doesn't finish him off. He can't quite go that far. Maybe he had no way of expecting Anakin would be rescued, but his resolve falters.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
obi-wan sees anakin choke his pregnant wife until she's unconscious and he still tries to talk him down. anakin explicitly has to say "if you're not with me, you're my enemy" to which he responds "only a sith deals in absolutes. i will do what i must." these are not the words or actions of someone who's totally gung-ho about killing his brother

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Extended scene where Obi-Wan makes sure to push Anakin into the lava before leaving, thereby causing the timeline to diverge away from the ST and in this essay I will

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

ungulateman posted:

obi-wan sees anakin choke his pregnant wife until she's unconscious and he still tries to talk him down. anakin explicitly has to say "if you're not with me, you're my enemy" to which he responds "only a sith deals in absolutes. i will do what i must." these are not the words or actions of someone who's totally gung-ho about killing his brother

and even then, when obi-wan finally strikes him (after trying, again, to get him to not 'try it') he only cuts off his legs and sword arm.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In the short term, Obi-wan made the wrong choice because Vader survived (which obviously the audience knew but he had no reason to think would happen). In terms of the OT, he made the correct choice because the relationship of Luke and Vader was the only thing that ultimately gave the Rebels the opportunity to defeat the Emperor and overthrow the Empire. Without Vader, Sheev has a different apprentice or doesn't bother with one because he has a broader apparatus of control by that point. Endor was a big dumb gambit all about Luke.

In terms of the ST, literally nothing that anyone other than Sheev did in the first six movies matters at all so who gives a poo poo.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So i guess they pivoted to tv shows for a bit since they made some statement after Solo. Does anyone know what other movies they were planning to make? At one point i thought I heard it was "Major Film" -> Minor -> Major but solo bombed so i thought they cancelled a bunch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So i guess they pivoted to tv shows for a bit since they made some statement after Solo. Does anyone know what other movies they were planning to make? At one point i thought I heard it was "Major Film" -> Minor -> Major but solo bombed so i thought they cancelled a bunch.

There were Obi-wan and Boba Fett films in the works, with Stephen Daldry supposedly attached to the former and James Mangold to the latter.

The films from the GoT showrunners got canned a bit later for unrelated reasons, and Riam Johnson's films are still nominally going to be made.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 29, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

There is one good thing about ROS, its better than revenge of the sith

And AOTC and PM

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

LionArcher posted:

And AOTC and PM

bzzzzzt wrongo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Release the Rey “You’re MY father!” cut

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I really wonder if they'd actually bring Rian back, (or if he'd even want to), for a trilogy no less, after all the lovely viritol aimed at TLJ.

I mean, they released a movie that was explicitly written to undo everything he did.

My best guess is they're doubling down on tv and safe poo poo for movies since mandalorian was a hit. I don't think we'll see Rian again in any short term, sadly.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The films from the GoT showrunners got canned a bit later for unrelated reasons

Oh poo poo I totally forgot about that. Thank God they bungled GoT before being given star wars films

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
rian johnson's trilogy is not going to be made. it was quietly killed shortly after TLJ came out but both Disney and johnson had invested too much into the internet culture war bullshit to come out and say it, hence all those comments johnson that were increasingly pathetic: it's still coming, we're still in talks, they haven't returned my calls but it's still happening, it's still early days...

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Actually you now got me thinking about this.

The final fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin in ROTS is unique in that Obi-Wan really wants to talk his friend down. He's been commanded to go there, against his wishes, and he- like Luke later- is holding out hope that he can turn Anakin back. He wants to win the argument. It's like arguing with a fascist online. You can't. Obi-Wan can literally dismember his opponent, it doesn't matter. Anakin won't give up.

Like one question asked about this scene is why Obi-Wan won't kill Anakin. It's clearly a failure he regrets later, hence in Return of the Jedi he's convinced Anakin can't be turned, he has to be destroyed. But the reason Obi-Wan won't kill Anakin there is he didn't come here to do that. He never wanted to, he was never prepared for that.

So yeah, that scene emphasizes just the tragedy of someone giving in to the worst side of themselves and they can't turn away even when it's actively killing them. Losing doesn't make you reconsider your beliefs. It's not enough.

its actually quite good because anakin also isn't trying to kill obi-wan at first either, he's just showing off and trying to prove that he's better and he just gets so pissed off at obi-wan trying to talk him down and his final attack only happens after obi-wan confesses a full loss of faith in him which is mirrored by his redemption coming after luke states his faith in him

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Due to their intense need to save face I think rian will still turn up somewhere, albeit probably not anywhere near a movie, much less 3 of them. There are going to be a whole lot of TV episodes that will need directing for one thing

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Isometric Bacon posted:

Any attempt to 'fix' what VIII did in a sequel is bound to be a bucket of poo poo. Regardless of what they felt, they should have just run with it rather than wasting most of the film doing so.

It, and the aforementioned studio mandated bullet points are the key reasons IX is terrible. It's like someone went through Reddit with a note pad and wrote down all the things people were angry about, shoved it infront of JJ and said 'Fix this'.

It's weird to say, but I miss the days when these creators had nothing to do with, or completely ignored their fans and stuck to their own vision. Today you get the impression that cast and crew are often subjected to reading Reddit, or are continually bombarded with Twitter opinions, both for PR and also the fact we're now shoulders deep into the digital age. Those people (including us) are not the people you should be listening to, otherwise you end up with the same regurgitated hash of what they like again and again reheated in the microwave.

There was a rumour that Westworld dramatically changed something in its second season because someone on reddit guessed the twist. I don't know if it's true, but it's a better explanation for season 2 than anything else i've heard.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

There is one good thing about ROS, its better than revenge of the sith

If it had a single sequence as strong as Order 666, you might be right. It doesn't though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really don't rate the prequels at all but I'd still put them all above TROS without hesitation. TROS spectacularly fails on a basic storytelling level in a way that few major blockbusters manage

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, i'd rewatch the prequels if bored enough. I dont think ill ever revisit TROS. Pure strain poo poo.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I do like that GoT and the ST failed because neither could come up with an interesting continuation of what came before

It's like poetry

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Vinylshadow posted:

Extended scene where Obi-Wan makes sure to push Anakin into the lava
This! Is! MUSTAFAAAAAAAAR!

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
Pretty sure they're still making at least one Taika Waititi movie, if not planning on multiple. Also, isn't Patty Jenkins making a movie?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Terry Grunthouse posted:

Pretty sure they're still making at least one Taika Waititi movie, if not planning on multiple. Also, isn't Patty Jenkins making a movie?

She's directing Rogue Squadron, did a bit about watching her dad go of with the US Air Force that made me concerned about which side of the Galactic Civil War she thinks the US maps to. Taika is still doing something, if it's one of the announced titles we don't know if yet.

And I'm considering watching the prequels again, only seen RotS once. Id say it's the worst trilogy but that Rise is the worst film.

Holy poo poo Disney+ doesn't want me knowing who is in Clone Wars eps. Always minimises right where it shows the cast so you have to quickly maximize and pause. Crazy there's not been a UI revision. But was cool to eventually confirm they got Neeson back for a few lines, and Shmi's actress for maybe more lives than she had in the prequels.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

She's directing Rogue Squadron, did a bit about watching her dad go of with the US Air Force that made me concerned about which side of the Galactic Civil War she thinks the US maps to. Taika is still doing something, if it's one of the announced titles we don't know if yet.

And I'm considering watching the prequels again, only seen RotS once. Id say it's the worst trilogy but that Rise is the worst film.

Holy poo poo Disney+ doesn't want me knowing who is in Clone Wars eps. Always minimises right where it shows the cast so you have to quickly maximize and pause. Crazy there's not been a UI revision. But was cool to eventually confirm they got Neeson back for a few lines, and Shmi's actress for maybe more lives than she had in the prequels.

After watching WW84 I have a pretty good idea on which side she supports lol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Star Wars Resistance was supposed to be inspired by the aerial dogfights in the World Wars and...uh...the actual dogfights can be counted on one hand

And if you squint, maybe the espionage that happened in that era as well

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Maybe it would be easier for them to make a movie about being in the empire as an executive and how hard it is appeasing all the planets while making decisions

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
#GirlMoff

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

No joke they already did that in like the first post-Disney novel and also made her Lesbian while making a huge deal about it. The ad-campaign was practically half about "Look how awesome the Empire is with it's Lesbian Fascist leaders!". And what's more they keep doing it. We now have like 3-4 Woke Girl Space Fascists.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's extremely funny that disney has branded the giant evil empire that controls everything as progressive and feminist

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ungulateman posted:

it's extremely funny that disney has branded the giant evil empire that controls everything as progressive and feminist

it's very on brand for them.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
In it's rush to repeat all the mistakes of Legends in a tenth of the time Disney seems to already be repeating the "Clean Wehrmacht" and similar Fascist apologia that Legends was getting super into near it's end. I wouldn't be surprised if theres a faction at Disney that wants to completely make the Empire vs Rebels morally equivalent to picking a sports team so they can sell merch of both. Like how the Harry Potter franchise has tried to retcon Slytherin from being the Nazi team into the "cool Goth kid" house because Slytherin merchandise flies off the shelves. It get's jarring when you then have other things like The Mandalorian coming out that pretty explicitly say that the only "good" Imperials are deserters and no-one in the Empire is anything less than scum. We keep harping on how the story group has no power and nothing is planned, but it's obvious that different creators are writing widely diverging portrayals of even basic setting details like "What the Bad Guys are about".

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
Disney remake of ‘The Night Porter’ in the Star Wars universe- when?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

One of the best parts of Mando is Cara Dune openly being ready to turbo murder almost any imperial. It’s very very plain when most TV shows are busy being complex and nuanced and huffing their own fart gas.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What's weird is, people love villains and buy merch of them all the time, you don't actually have to make them sympathetic

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

2house2fly posted:

What's weird is, people love villains and buy merch of them all the time, you don't actually have to make them sympathetic

Iconic Disney villains even. People absolutely love characters like Cruella DeVille and Malificent expressly because they're just these unrepentantly evil assholes who love being jerks, yet here modern Disney is trying to give them tragic backstories. Like how Maleficent was actually date raped by the king and she's the one who really loves Sleeping Beauty.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

well why not posted:

One of the best parts of Mando is Cara Dune openly being ready to turbo murder almost any imperial. It’s very very plain when most TV shows are busy being complex and nuanced and huffing their own fart gas.

She’s ready to turbo murder anyone, imperial or not. She tried to merc mando when they first met, and she executed that lava boat droid when he didn’t immediately jump at her command.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Just finished rewatching all of the SW movies in release order, and my god, TRoS is clearly the worst. Prequels aged better than we expected.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Glottis posted:

Just finished rewatching all of the SW movies in release order, and my god, TRoS is clearly the worst. Prequels aged better than we expected.

Attack of the Clones is still pretty bad, but I agree. The prequels aren't the dumpster fires that I remember. I've come full circle on them I guess—loved them when they were released during my jr high/high school years, became harshly critical of them during my college days, but now I've found them serviceably entertaining even if they aren't the prettiest looking movies with the most captivating/compelling story. Phantom Menace is a fairly good looking film though, but AOTC and ROTS are just too lurid in their aesthetic for my liking. Excited to see Hayden Christensen back in the Kenobi series.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Everybody always rag on Attack of the Clones, but the Coruscant and Kamino parts with Obi-wan are good imo. The rest is pretty bad I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Glottis posted:

It really is incredible right