Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Somewhere on skywalker ranch, George smirks "just as planned"

re: disney being so bad at star wars that his stuff is positively re-evaluated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Syncopated posted:

Everybody always rag on Attack of the Clones, but the Coruscant and Kamino parts with Obi-wan are good imo. The rest is pretty bad I guess?

The best parts of AOTC are the Anakin/Padme theme and detective Obi-Wan, yeah. Almost everything else is securely rooted in mediocrity, with the worst parts for me being the general look of the film, the fight choreography, and the stilted romance. I will applaud the film for all its phallic and yonic imagery though.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

teagone posted:

The best parts of AOTC are the Anakin/Padme theme and detective Obi-Wan, yeah. Almost everything else is securely rooted in mediocrity, with the worst parts for me being the general look of the film, the fight choreography, and the stilted romance. I will applaud the film for all its phallic and yonic imagery though.

I will also say a positive part of AOTC is the sound design of Jango Fett's space mines. Such cool work, the sequel trilogy really could have used someone like Ben Burtt.

My fave criticism of the prequels was that this was silly because there is no sound in space, those explosions are unrealistic! And while that is true, the people saying it must have never watched a Star War before, because sound in space is it's jam and it rules.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Syncopated posted:

Everybody always rag on Attack of the Clones, but the Coruscant and Kamino parts with Obi-wan are good imo. The rest is pretty bad I guess?

Detective Obi-Wan is really good, but imo its sorta ruined by the fact that the revelations just sorta float out. There's no drama to it, and even the characters barely react. I'm quoting myself here:

Obi-Wan finding the army is presented in this very matter-of-fact way that belies the fact that there is some profoundly bad poo poo going on. He finds out someone is using a dead Jedi's name to amass an unauthorized army and the reaction of 3 Jedi masters is "hm, that's not good, we'll keep an eye on that." Even when the clone army joins the fight, it's all played for spectacle until Yoda takes a moment to say "war were declared."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

garycoleisgod posted:

I will also say a positive part of AOTC is the sound design of Jango Fett's space mines. Such cool work, the sequel trilogy really could have used someone like Ben Burtt.

I include Obi-Wan's encounter with Jango Fett as part of his sleuthing antics.

Boxman posted:

Detective Obi-Wan is really good, but imo its sorta ruined by the fact that the revelations just sorta float out. There's no drama to it, and even the characters barely react. I'm quoting myself here:

Obi-Wan finding the army is presented in this very matter-of-fact way that belies the fact that there is some profoundly bad poo poo going on. He finds out someone is using a dead Jedi's name to amass an unauthorized army and the reaction of 3 Jedi masters is "hm, that's not good, we'll keep an eye on that." Even when the clone army joins the fight, it's all played for spectacle until Yoda takes a moment to say "war were declared."

The Detective Kenobi narrative is carried more so by Ewan's performance than it is by the story—he's so charming despite basically fumbling his way into all the discoveries he makes. He's not a slick investigator at all, lol.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Boxman posted:

Hmm good point

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Boxman posted:

The Jedi don't know yet that they are in for a massive war against droids, and as far as they know, the clones are for them. It's the armed forces equivalent of receiving a dozen pizzas you didn't know you ordered, but which are also already paid for. If you listen closely to the music in that scene, you can hear Sheev cackling and hanging up the phone.

Like, Obi Wan being a bit of a dumbass and having the clues fall into his lap is the point. He is the cleverest of the Jedi and his bright idea is "Go to the place on the map that has been crossed out with a sharpie".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's presented matter-of-factly because Obi-Wan isn't really into it, it sounds like politics and he's here to have an action sequence with a bad guy. As soon as they mention that there's a bounty hunter on the premises he perks right up

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reminder Obi-Wans defining traits are "loves to fight" and "drinks on the job"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Barudak posted:

Reminder Obi-Wans defining traits are "loves to fight" and "drinks on the job"

The best kind of detective. See also: Chow Yun-fat in Hard Boiled.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

The Jedi don't know yet that they are in for a massive war against droids, and as far as they know, the clones are for them. It's the armed forces equivalent of receiving a dozen pizzas you didn't know you ordered, but which are also already paid for. If you listen closely to the music in that scene, you can hear Sheev cackling and hanging up the phone.

Like, Obi Wan being a bit of a dumbass and having the clues fall into his lap is the point. He is the cleverest of the Jedi and his bright idea is "Go to the place on the map that has been crossed out with a sharpie".

Yeah they know slavery exists everywhere, including non droids in the outer rim, and are more or less fine with that. Getting a bunch of clone soldiers only troubles them so far as they can't remember ordering them

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Blood Boils posted:

Somewhere on skywalker ranch, George smirks "just as planned"

re: disney being so bad at star wars that his stuff is positively re-evaluated

Lucas lays down his lightsaber and surrenders to Disney, trusting that when the time comes the fans will intervene to save him

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah they know slavery exists everywhere, including non droids in the outer rim, and are more or less fine with that. Getting a bunch of clone soldiers only troubles them so far as they can't remember ordering them

they're wearing helmets so they arn't people. i mean duh

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I realised something quite weird about the series. There's a thematic component to it, but it's also just an interesting bit of trivia: After the first movie, Luke doesn't kill a single stormtrooper. He blows up an AT AT, and kills Jabba's guys, but he doesn't kill another imperial pilot, officer or stormtrooper after the first movie. Perhaps that's why his scene in the Mandalorian was so cathartic for some and so jarring for others, because it's a type of scene (Luke styling on Imperials) we haven't seen since 77.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Uh, he takes out a whole war elephant of dudes in empire, like those things aren't empty

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Doesn't he gank some in the speeder bike chase in RotJ? I remember him cutting the nose off one bike with his saber and it spiraling out of control into a tree.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It wasn't a strange thing for Luke to do but I do think it was a really bad way to conclude The Mandalorian (or at least the story arc the first two seasons were about). Just have a much more powerful guy show up and effortlessly sweep aside the problem. Our hero's efforts were pointless.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. He didn’t kill stormtroopers because he barely encountered any.

But he did kill them on Endor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It wasn't a strange thing for Luke to do but I do think it was a really bad way to conclude The Mandalorian (or at least the story arc the first two seasons were about). Just have a much more powerful guy show up and effortlessly sweep aside the problem. Our hero's efforts were pointless.

That’s the point though. They ended up in a situation that was bigger than they thought. Mando is a bounty hunter. He’s not someone who fights against the empire.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The only things Luke mercs in the Mandalorian are a bunch of droids. All the stormtroopers are mysteriously absent after Luke shows up.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ruddiger posted:

The only things Luke mercs in the Mandalorian are a bunch of droids. All the stormtroopers are mysteriously absent after Luke shows up.

I mean, they're all dead. From blaster fire. Like 20 minutes earlier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spooky!!!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mandalorian S3 has to find a way to sell Grogu Funkos, so I’m sure he’ll be back with Luke’s unblinking visage at some stage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They can sell grogu in Star Wars character costumes.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Someone do a double bill of Attack of the Clones and the Big Lebowski.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

well why not posted:

Mandalorian S3 has to find a way to sell Grogu Funkos, so I’m sure he’ll be back with Luke’s unblinking visage at some stage.

Every episode is bookended with a "Captains Log" style Holo-Skype where Mando explains to Grogu the adventure he had this week and the moral lesson it entailed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

garycoleisgod posted:

Doesn't he gank some in the speeder bike chase in RotJ? I remember him cutting the nose off one bike with his saber and it spiraling out of control into a tree.

gently caress, i forgot that. He also throws a scout trooper off a bike into a tree. Never mind. Thought I was onto something there.

What is notable is that the original trilogy's characters, while good at fighting in various forms, only seem a little better at it than average. Luke's a good pilot, but not the best, Han's a good shot, but never does anything impossible, same with Leia. Their notability and remarkability isn't in how rad they are at fighting, and they're often faced with odds they can't just overcome through fighting. Luke's ascension in Jedi isn't that he's become way better at fighting, it's his rejection of the emperor's morality. It's probably the thing that most marks the original trilogy as a product of its time, since the 80s came along afterwards and established that an action hero needed to kill a small town's worth of bad guys.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I can’t say I agree. I mean Luke’s Death Star torpedo is understood to be an impossible shot, and he basically wrecks Jabba’s whole coterie on the sail barge. He’s absolutely a preternatural talent and the movies go to pains to demonstrate this. In ESB he’s doing flips and looking jacked and moving poo poo with his mind. He’s physically and mentally gifted by the time ESB starts

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 2, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Jewmanji posted:

I can’t say I agree. I mean Luke’s Death Star torpedo is understood to be an impossible shot, and he basically wrecks Jabba’s whole coterie on the sail barge. He’s absolutely a preternatural talent and the movies go to pains to demonstrate this. In ESB he’s doing flips and looking jacked and moving poo poo with his mind. He’s physically and mentally gifted by the time ESB starts

But he's not a god is the thing. Like in the whole trilogy he downs a grand total of two Tie Fighters in his X-Wing, nearly blows himself up with his own strafing run, and has to be bailed out by Wedge. Poe Dameron kills like 15 in TFA alone and is never presented as being in danger from the enemy. As much as I love the Mandalorian he similarly guns down more Stormtroopers in a given episode than the main trio did over whole films. I'd say the only real point in the OT where anyone goes full modern action hero was when Luke single handedly murders an entire criminal syndicate in RotJ.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Sure, I wasn’t suggesting he was god-like, I was disagreeing with the post above which describes him as “a little better than average”. There are some moments in the sequels that are definitely jarring for the reasons you already described.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Let’s not forget that R2 kicks off that particular slaughter by shooting Luke’s saber out of his head at 100 MPH.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gonz posted:

Let’s not forget that R2 kicks off that particular slaughter by shooting Luke’s saber out of his head at 100 MPH.

Someone posted about how R2 must have been waiting for that while getting everyone's drink orders wrong on purpose.

Also, now I'm picturing Luke getting the Popeye music.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

gently caress, i forgot that. He also throws a scout trooper off a bike into a tree. Never mind. Thought I was onto something there.

What is notable is that the original trilogy's characters, while good at fighting in various forms, only seem a little better at it than average. Luke's a good pilot, but not the best, Han's a good shot, but never does anything impossible, same with Leia. Their notability and remarkability isn't in how rad they are at fighting, and they're often faced with odds they can't just overcome through fighting. Luke's ascension in Jedi isn't that he's become way better at fighting, it's his rejection of the emperor's morality. It's probably the thing that most marks the original trilogy as a product of its time, since the 80s came along afterwards and established that an action hero needed to kill a small town's worth of bad guys.

luke is pretty much touted as one of the best fighter pilots in the OT and a general badass, what actually makes him not feel like some almighty god is that he's constantly getting his poo poo kicked in in small ways.

he gets bonked by sand people flung about like a garbage sack by a trash monster strung up by a yeti dropped into the rancor pit captured and nearly eaten by ewoks

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Elfgames posted:

luke is pretty much touted as one of the best fighter pilots in the OT and a general badass, what actually makes him not feel like some almighty god is that he's constantly getting his poo poo kicked in in small ways.

he gets bonked by sand people flung about like a garbage sack by a trash monster strung up by a yeti dropped into the rancor pit captured and nearly eaten by ewoks

In episode 4 Luke nearly gets shot down by an everyday tie fighter pilot. He'd be dead if Wedge didn't save his rear end. Compare that to Poe who flies serenely through battles one-shotting TIE after TIE as if he were playing Starfox.

I'm not sure Luke was ever noted as an exceptional pilot in any way. He did boast he could make the shot when everyone said it was impossible but it turns out he was full of poo poo. The shot was impossible. Only by letting Jesus take the wheel did Luke pull it off.

Darth Vader was a better pilot, a better swordsman, better at the force, everything. Luke was outmatched for the whole trilogy.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 2, 2021

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

He does get shot on the hand on the sail barge. I wonder if he just had the skin cover taken off after the ewok party or if he peeled it off in pieces over the years

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He does a bunch of cool poo poo but it's left to speak for itself. No one blabs on about how important he is until they're trying to convince him to swap sides. He's also contrasted with an actor who's, let's say, slightly more charismatic.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ingmar terdman posted:

He does get shot on the hand on the sail barge. I wonder if he just had the skin cover taken off after the ewok party or if he peeled it off in pieces over the years
"That'll never heal if you don't stop picking... oh, wait, sorry."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Elfgames posted:

He's in one space battle in the entire OT and in one other flying based battle, gets saved in the first (twice) and shot down in the other without accomplishing anything.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Someone do a double bill of Attack of the Clones and the Big Lebowski.

Quick and dirty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

teagone posted:

I include Obi-Wan's encounter with Jango Fett as part of his sleuthing antics.

The Detective Kenobi narrative is carried more so by Ewan's performance than it is by the story—he's so charming despite basically fumbling his way into all the discoveries he makes. He's not a slick investigator at all, lol.

I mean it is one of those 'badly done good concept' things but the whole point of that narrative is that the Clone Army is finally ready to use so Sidious and Dooku lay a trail of breadcrumbs that lead to Yoda starting a war.